Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rebuilding this team

Nobody is going to want to come here for Duke Johnson. I'm singling him out for this demonstration, there are a number of guys on this team that fit the situation I'm about to talk about. The Texans used a 3rd round pick for Duke. In the teams biggest offensive output of the season, this past Sunday versus the Titans, he accounted for 11 total yards. He's just not being used here. The Texans can cut their loses and get a 5th or 6th round pick for him. He still has value in this league, he's only 27 years old. A lot of tread left on those tires. Don't get me wrong, I really like Duke. I like Stills and Cobb too. But they're not helping this team attract head coaching and GM candidates and they're not going to make a bit of difference in the win/loss column. They barely make a mark on the stat sheets. Too many guys like that on this team - not impactful anywhere except the cap.
Cobb 22 for 227 yards 2 Tds at 13 yards per catch. Minny hurt his stats. He needs more targets. I expect going forward he will get them.

I understand. I just don’t think we will get any better with a bunch of 5th and 6th round picks. We better hire a a GM and HC with a nose for super late round talent. Or we gonna be trash for years to come. And you know jokers will think their predictions were spot on concerning Watson. Especially without factoring in this hot mess we’re in right now.
We can get better with our third and two fourths. Most value Watt at minimum a third. I say a second. Either way another significant draft pick.
Reader was a fifth so it can be done.

I do not see us getting any rounds one or two draft picks for these players. The only players we could get those type of draft picks is Watson and Tunsil. So again y’all are just trading away players just to trade players. You will not make your team better. You’re basically making things worse for the next coaching regime. It’s already a very sticky situation to come into. But if you get rid of all these players you’re not about to attack a big player in the game. You’ll have to settle for probably a cheap coach who’s not good.

Think about the financial situation this new HC and GM would be coming into .... 38 players under contract and over the cap.

They'll have to cut people anyway. No way around that.

Starting the process now you at least get some mid / low draft picks in return along with clearing the cap situation leaving the new HC/GM some wiggle room there,

No , you aren't getting better on the field .... but you are getting better financially which allows you to get better on the field.

This year's FA is going to be totally bonkers because so many teams are in the same cap situation. 15 teams are going to have to cut or restructure players to create cap space to fill out their rosters.
That's going to flood the market with quality FA's .... and they are going to be forced to take less than usual because of the shrunken cap. Clear that space now and be ready to take advantage of that this offseason.

Done right , a team could really improve themselves even without those top two picks going into 2021 while paying 60 cents on the dollar for FA's which sets them up well for a 2-3 year period as the cap returns to normal in 22 and beyond.

Detroit has $100m & Jax has $88m

Bonus money that was previously pro rated all hits at immediately. This is mostly signing bonuses.

The rest of the guaranteed money is now the new teams obligation.

Yes , they could offer to pay some or all of his salary for the season to play elsewhere .... But whatever sum that is also hits the cap immediately.

They could actually pay up to $10,450,000 of his salary for the receiving team and break even on this years cap. $4,650,000 would still apply to the 2021 cap ...

The 4.65m hitting next years cap is because this is a Post June 1 trade or cut. Only the bonus money owed this year applies to a post June 1 trade or cut.

Do this pre June 1 and all of it would immediately hit but we are well beyond June 1 so this rule is not applicable.
Great info thanks, I see this as something Texans should pursue as he’s a problem contract, seems to rack up stats in a handful of games per season and be missing the rest of the time.
If we view this year as a write off anyway, then next years $4.5m isn’t crippling, and by the time we have draft picks again we are free of his dead money.

This is where this franchise being all in on Watt makes no sense at this point. Paying $17m next year for a player who is still fairly good when healthy but often not healthy, when you could eat a load of dead money from crap contracts with that saving.

Imagine if we were able to hire Todd Bowles for instance, the worry will be that he leverages an awful lot out of the fact both his ILB’s can do it all after the snap. If you want to slow the best QB’s in the league, having the 2 one trick ponies in the middle is going to kill any creativity.

For me, Watt moves first, I try to get him to a contender so I’m doing right by him. Then I use his contract saving to get rid of the bad contracts in McKinney, Mercilus and possibly even Cunningham.

Im looking to resign Conley cheap and hoping he can play opposite Roby next year, I persist with Reid and LoJo as safety, I look to get ILB’s who can cover as well as play downhill, and hope the Greenard/Blacklock/Omenihu/Ejiofor/PJ etc can improve with playing time.

I hire Todd Bowles and ensure he understands that next year is a year to build through, but that he isn’t going to be going through perpetual rebuild like he did in New York, he has the offense minus a running back, he just needs
to build a defence in his image and it’ll be a winning formula.

I understand. I just don’t think we will get any better with a bunch of 5th and 6th round picks. We better hire a a GM and HC with a nose for super late round talent. Or we gonna be trash for years to come. And you know jokers will think their predictions were spot on concerning Watson. Especially without factoring in this hot mess we’re in right now.

They can improve by opening up cap space and using it correctly.

They are going to have to cut people anyway they might as well try to get something for them. All you are worried about is DW4. Others are worried about the future of the franchise, but I see you have built in an excuse when DW4 fails over the next 4 yrs.

Think about the financial situation this new HC and GM would be coming into .... 38 players under contract and over the cap.

They'll have to cut people anyway. No way around that.

Starting the process now you at least get some mid / low draft picks in return along with clearing the cap situation leaving the new HC/GM some wiggle room there,

No , you aren't getting better on the field .... but you are getting better financially which allows you to get better on the field.

This year's FA is going to be totally bonkers because so many teams are in the same cap situation. 15 teams are going to have to cut or restructure players to create cap space to fill out their rosters.
That's going to flood the market with quality FA's .... and they are going to be forced to take less than usual because of the shrunken cap. Clear that space now and be ready to take advantage of that this offseason.

Done right , a team could really improve themselves even without those top two picks going into 2021 while paying 60 cents on the dollar for FA's which sets them up well for a 2-3 year period as the cap returns to normal in 22 and beyond.

Detroit has $100m & Jax has $88m

Instead of a draft evaluator we need one who can evaluate free agents. Someone who could do both would be very valuable. Anyone know someone like that?

Cut/release List:
Hargreaves
Conley
Fulton
Kelemete
Fells
Coutee
Ejifor (have literally got nothing since this kid was drafted)
Gaines
Carter
Mercy
Stills

Restructure..if they don't want to, release them:
Cunningham
Mckinney
Murray..i would cut, i just don't think that we could afford to release him due to depth purposes
DJ31....
Cooks
Martin

Resign:
Fuller

Draft:
3rd round Best ILB or CB available
4th round Best ILB or CB available
5th round Best OLB/ run stuffing NT available

FA: run stuffing vet (snacks harris), FS (Eric Reid), Guard (??)

I would try to trade Watt and Stills to the Pack for a 2nd and a 5th but would take a 3rd and a 5th. Then I would cut N. Martin and McKinney. That would give me around 28 mil on the cap if my math is correct.

With the 28 mil I would hope that I could find a CB1 in FA and a NT. Then in the draft I would try to find an S that could start right away like Winfield. With the secondary and run game fixed I would spend more of my draft capital on a devlopmental pass rusher in the 3rd like Barron Browning or Tyreke Smith. At the top of the 4th I would take the RB Robinson from Alabama and if I had to I would trade back into the 3rd to get him. In this scenario I would still have Arzona's 4th and the Packs 5th plus two 6ths. Plenty of ammo to move back into the 3rd even one more time if I wanted too to get a starting OG.

If they trade JJ/Stills and get a 2nd and a 5th they can greatly improve the defense in 1 offseason, but they have to act now to set this offseason up.

Cut/release List:
Hargreaves
Conley
Fulton
Kelemete
Fells
Coutee
Ejifor (have literally got nothing since this kid was drafted)
Gaines
Carter
Mercy
Stills

Restructure..if they don't want to, release them:
Cunningham
Mckinney
Murray..i would cut, i just don't think that we could afford to release him due to depth purposes
DJ31....
Cooks
Martin

Resign:
Fuller

Draft:
3rd round Best ILB or CB available
4th round Best ILB or CB available
5th round Best OLB/ run stuffing NT available

FA: run stuffing vet (snacks harris), FS (Eric Reid), Guard (??)
You need to look at GTD $ owed to some of them but I get your frustration.

I would try to trade Watt and Stills to the Pack for a 2nd and a 5th but would take a 3rd and a 5th. Then I would cut N. Martin and McKinney. That would give me around 28 mil on the cap if my math is correct.

With the 28 mil I would hope that I could find a CB1 in FA and a NT. Then in the draft I would try to find an S that could start right away like Winfield. With the secondary and run game fixed I would spend more of my draft capital on a devlopmental pass rusher in the 3rd like Barron Browning or Tyreke Smith. At the top of the 4th I would take the RB Robinson from Alabama and if I had to I would trade back into the 3rd to get him. In this scenario I would still have Arzona's 4th and the Packs 5th plus two 6ths. Plenty of ammo to move back into the 3rd even one more time if I wanted too to get a starting OG.

If they trade JJ/Stills and get a 2nd and a 5th they can greatly improve the defense in 1 offseason, but they have to act now to set this offseason up.
28 million doesn't get you close to 175 cap. Cannot sign anyone until their contract fits below 175. Good start but ways to go.

You need to look at GTD $ owed to some of them but I get your frustration.

I don't care what the GTD owed is. We are likely not winning anything next year and i'm in favor of getting rid of as much of the stench on the roster that we possibly could in that 1 year so that we could be ready to replenish with a full compliment of draft picks in 2022. Aside from that, a statement would need to be made to the guys we would decided to keep as well as to the franchise, DW4.

Yeah like the 1980 ABC movie The Day After, we did it to ourselves.
You keep referencing “we”. None of us did this to our favorite NFL team. Most of us thought it was dumb as hell to give O’Brien and Easterby all that power. Some of us saw this train wreck coming. I predicted a 4-6 win season. Which, in retrospect, was too high.

Next year won’t be much better. It might in fact be worse. They can only try and reduce the damage.

He's still young and raw and on his rookie contract. Maybe he can be salvaged with a new coaching staff & be an option to possibly kick inside at guard if/when Fulton is released.
Young and raw still should get some decent play from him. He's big and strong enough to not get rollerized. Run around, out foxed sure but not blasted. Like Scharping Howard has gone backwards and that's not all on Devlin.

Other than dead money what have you seen from Tytus Howard that makes you all gooey inside? If you are saying all three are too expensive to trade, I will agree.

After seeing Howard this yr, he's regressed. Hopefully the only reason for this is because he's playing on a bum ankle. If this is the case I expect him to greatly improve under new coaching. If this isn't the case I move him back into RG and look for a RT. Then put Fulton at C and Scharping at LG and under new coaching I think the OL will be very solid. There may need to be some cheap FA depth pieces adde and a 4th/5th rd developmental guy along the way for depth purposes but those kinds of guys should be easy to find.

Young and raw still should get some decent play from him. He's big and strong enough to not get rollerized. Run around, out foxed sure but not blasted. Like Scharping Howard has gone backwards and that's not all on Devlin.

You'd be surprised......He's been decent though...certainly an upgrade over Giacomni, & any of the other bums they/ve trotted out there over the last few years.

You keep referencing “we”. None of us did this to our favorite NFL team. Most of us thought it was dumb as hell to give O’Brien and Easterby all that power. Some of us saw this train wreck coming. I predicted a 4-6 win season. Which, in retrospect, was too high.

Next year won’t be much better. It might in fact be worse. They can only try and reduce the damage.

Next yr doesn't have to be that bad if they can start making trades to add draft capital and clear enough cap space to be a player in FA.

Maybe, but either way you can’t unload everyone. Guys like Scharping and Howard are young enough to try out with a new coaching staff. Fulton, Martin and Kelemente are who we thought they were. They can go

when will be the right time to sit and protect our little assets we have left manily for rest and prevent injury ...we do have alot of games left

Watson
LT and Titus
Cooks & Will
duke and David
Zach Roby and Reid...... should all prob sit

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

and the the rest need to be traded or cut quick fast and in a hurry

esp Watt and Mercilus both the RB and all the Tight ends the interor Oline and like 90% of the defense

just a curious THought how many 1's could watson gets we talking 2 or 3 1st rounders ..???? + something extra ..????

lets rehire Kubes and rick smith grab Schaub from atl and go back in time when it was all sunshine and roses ... :P

watson to the Jets and we just get another qb with the first pick

If Easterby is allowed to do anything personnel wise then to Cal I say "Well then you are lost!"

i think Cal is our GM right now he should be making all the calls and moves ...what if cal actually reads these boards and got ideas on how to move and shake lol ..????? i mean everything we said he is bassically hitting the reset button getting some chips and freeing the cap for the new coach and GM that comes in here

if greenbay does not want JJ watt could u image him wearing a CHeifs or Ravens helmet ..... LOL a seahawks or bucs helmet

Last edited:

2021 cap 175,000,000

Cap roll over $7,690,031

2021 contract obligations $194,465,143

If you trade Watt and Stills for no returning salary you'd generate 22,475,000 in immediate cap space. This would be ideal as it adds to the cap roll over which would put that figure at
$30,165,031 which would put your adjusted cap at $205,165,031.

Its not likely you can move those two players for no returning salary so for every dollar you take back , subtract it from the cap roll over and 21 adjusted cap.

Cap roll over is another reason to have the fire sale NOW not later. For every dollar under the adjusted cap you get to roll that over to the following seasons adjusted cap.

You'd be at $176,965,143 in salary obligations to 37 players which would be $28,199,888 under the adjusted cap. You've got 18 roster spots to fill with that figure.

If you want to be a player in FA you are going to have to make further trades / cuts.

Don't forget WFV is a free agent.

I'd also cut the following All before June First as the cap hit is all on 2021. Of course trading them NOW would be more advantageous in generating cap roll over & putting the cap hits on this years cap.

Nick Martin - Dead money $2,500,000 Cap savings $6,250,000
McKinney - Dead money $1,500,000 , Cap savings $7,000,000.
Ejiofor - Dead money $46,315 , Cap savings $920,000
David Johnson - Dead money $2,100,000 , Cap savings $6,900,000
Coutee - Dead money $182,258 . Cap savings $920,000

That would give you a total of $50,189,888 with 32 players under contract and 23 roster spots to fill.

After seeing Howard this yr, he's regressed. Hopefully the only reason for this is because he's playing on a bum ankle. If this is the case I expect him to greatly improve under new coaching. If this isn't the case I move him back into RG and look for a RT. Then put Fulton at C and Scharping at LG and under new coaching I think the OL will be very solid. There may need to be some cheap FA depth pieces adde and a 4th/5th rd developmental guy along the way for depth purposes but those kinds of guys should be easy to find.
Better get that ankle fixed before you move him anywhere or the move will be to IR. Looking at all the cuts or trades we have to make what position needs to be priority in round 3? Wide receiver, cornerback, safety, RG or running back? Some say edge rusher as no matter if you have all pro CBs and DBs (and we don't) a good QB will get a pass off. Which way do we go? Which way do we go?

You'd be surprised......He's been decent though...certainly an upgrade over Giacomni, & any of the other bums they/ve trotted out there over the last few years.
Well yeah but that was a year ago for first 8 games. If his..er.. Deficiency is only his ankle..if it is and playing on it doesn't wreck the ankle yeah we hope that in September of 2021 Howard is the guy or at minimum the guy at right guard. And if RG we hope we get Giacomini Slightly Better in free agency cause we are so good at identifying olinemen.

In 2020 Howard is slightly better than horrible.

Next yr doesn't have to be that bad if they can start making trades to add draft capital and clear enough cap space to be a player in FA.
The biggest asset is JJ Watt and I do not see him leaving Houston. I would be less surprised to see him get an extension lowering his cap hit for this season and next and giving him about 40 mill GTD signing bonus spread over 5 years. 2020-24. Five season $80 million with last two not GTD just like his present deal.

Daniel Jeremiah is a guy I would look at for the GM position too. Young/well connected around the league. Was a scout in Baltimore and Philly.
He has been very accurate in mocks best in 2020 top 30. We need a guy that can evaluate college players. Not sure I would make him GM but his NFL contacts are solid and with NFL team scouting support he could be solid addition. It's been eight years since NFL scouting days.

Maybe, but either way you can’t unload everyone. Guys like Scharping and Howard are young enough to try out with a new coaching staff. Fulton, Martin and Kelemente are who we thought they were. They can go
Not arguing just thinking out loud. Get what you can for last three, I agree. Howard's a first round who might be rehabilitated with Dallas, might bring you their round two which I have now as top 40 or their two 3rds 2021.

Dallas need oline NOW and Jones will not be made a fool of as long as Cal McNair was. I expect McCarthy to be fired after losing to the Washington whatcha macallits 25-3 Monday. Texans not going anywhere but Jerry needs to make a statement with new coach and doing something with Oline.

Play 'em like your holding high cards.

We as in our team when something goes right and we when something goes wrong. You and I don't draft anyone, sign anyone or hire anyone but we get results ir..oh what the Heck regardless.

I don't care what the GTD owed is. We are likely not winning anything next year and i'm in favor of getting rid of as much of the stench on the roster that we possibly could in that 1 year so that we could be ready to replenish with a full compliment of draft picks in 2022. Aside from that, a statement would need to be made to the guys we would decided to keep as well as to the franchise, DW4.
Well you should care, for example no reason for McKinney to restructure and if you cut him his cap increases now from $6 m to more than 8. Again I agree with your premise we just need to not cut off our nose to spite our face.

Not arguing just thinking out loud. Get what you can for last three, I agree. Howard's a first round who might be rehabilitated with Dallas, might bring you their round two which I have now as top 40 or their two 3rds 2021.

Dallas need oline NOW and Jones will not be made a fool of as long as Cal McNair was. I expect McCarthy to be fired after losing to the Washington whatcha macallits 25-3 Monday. Texans not going anywhere but Jerry needs to make a statement with new coach and doing something with Oline.

Play 'em like your holding high cards.

Man stop it Dallas will not be doing any trades with us. Lol

just a curious THought how many 1's could watson gets we talking 2 or 3 1st rounders ..???? + something extra ..????

lets rehire Kubes and rick smith grab Schaub from atl and go back in time when it was all sunshine and roses ... :P

watson to the Jets and we just get another qb with the first pick
Norg buddy, it was discussed several days ago that Watson if traded has all his guaranteed money brought to bear on this cap which exceeds 2020 cap and the trade would be nullified by NFL.

Weeks ago I was corrected by Corrosion as I thought NFL owners had agreed to allow GTD money usually bonuses to remain prorated to defray Covid hit. If I were right, theoretically Watson could be our best chance to rebuild this team. Top 5 QB or no, I doubt team is final three AFC for years.

Better get that ankle fixed before you move him anywhere or the move will be to IR. Looking at all the cuts or trades we have to make what position needs to be priority in round 3? Wide receiver, cornerback, safety, RG or running back? Some say edge rusher as no matter if you have all pro CBs and DBs (and we don't) a good QB will get a pass off. Which way do we go? Which way do we go?

I'm trying to get a coverage LB, S, RB out of this draft.

I'm hoping Heck can play RT Scharping RG Fulton C Howard LG Tunsil LT.

i think Cal is our GM right now he should be making all the calls and moves ...what if cal actually reads these boards and got ideas on how to move and shake lol ..????? i mean everything we said he is bassically hitting the reset button getting some chips and freeing the cap for the new coach and GM that comes in here

if greenbay does not want JJ watt could u image him wearing a CHeifs or Ravens helmet ..... LOL a seahawks or bucs helmet
I think you right about Cal..with Easterby nodding sagely. Mama McNair and mama Watson deciding JJ going nowhere.

The biggest asset is JJ Watt and I do not see him leaving Houston. I would be less surprised to see him get an extension lowering his cap hit for this season and next and giving him about 40 mill GTD signing bonus spread over 5 years. 2020-24. Five season $80 million with last two not GTD just like his present deal.

God I hope not.

Gotta take our medicine now not put it off.

Yeah but tell me you would be stunned if he's extended. Watson may be the marketing future but JJ still has the team's #1 fan Janice in his corner. Trading him right or wrong will cause massive tidal wave and Houston Texans do not need that.

The main reason the Texans will never win anything with the McNair's as owners. Nothing after all of these yrs surprises me when it comes to the McNair's ineptness.

Yeah but tell me you would be stunned if he's extended. Watson may be the marketing future but JJ still has the team's #1 fan Janice in his corner. Trading him right or wrong will cause massive tidal wave and Houston Texans do not need that.

Man most of the fan base I know says they need to do Watt a solid. Meaning trade him to a team that would give him the best chance to win a SB. Some believe this was his last game as a Texan.

The media have been pushing a trade to either Green Bay or Pittsburgh.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s trade during the bi-week.

We are already in an uproar. Lol

Last edited:

I wouldn't be shocked if he were restructured and extended .... cutting that cap hit from $17.5 down to $12m/$36m over 3-4 years. Honestly I wouldn't complain about that either. He is the best player on this defense and worth that in relative value. You aren't going to get a better player for that money.

Either way works for me - trade him or restructure to a more team friendly figure.

Back