Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rackers staying, Brown gone

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
My main point, in this court case, is that the situation did not call for the HB Pass. And saying the player is to blame is reckless. The player's gotta' do what he was told to do, and my client (Chris Brown) was put in harm's way at the behest of his supervisor.

Furthermore, I would like to call a committee to review the HB Pass to make a determination if this play is an endangerment to both the coach AND the player. We need to review if the play itself is to be stricken from the playbook altogether, in the best interests of all parties.
The situation did call for the play. The player is not being blamed by me.

The play itself is a dangerous and risky play. It's a boom or bust play. It's an interception as often as it's a touchdown. But every team in the league has the play in their playbook and most teams attempt it from time to time. If you're going to judge Kubiak unfavorably for using the play, then you've got to also judge all the other coaches in the league the same way.

GP

Go Texans!
We had not abandoned the run. The HB pass fake worked perfectly. The play didn't fail because the Jags realized it wasn't a run play, it failed because they were so sold out on the run play that they hit CB as he was throwing so he put up a duck that was intercepted. If he had gotten the throw off cleanly, Dreessen was in the end zone all alone and it would have been a touchdown.

HB passes are frequently thrown in this exact down and distance situation. That's where most of the TD's are made with the play.

It didn't work but that doesn't make it a bad play call.
It was not sold well. I watched that play over and over, TPN!

Chris Brown was slowing down and drawing the ball up to a throwing position wayyyyy too early. WAY too early. I remember watching the defense just float sideways, stringing it out to the sideline. The DBs were onto it the whole time, and nobody on our side could make the defense adjust the way we wanted them to.

That was not the "sold play" you're making it out to be.

And look at the game OVERALL. We had 41 yards by Moats and 15 yards by Brown. Grossman pushing Brown's stats, btw, and maybe threatening Brown's depth position at RB.

We gave up. We played to them. Instead of making them stop our passing game, we got careless and tried to experiment. Meanwhile, Del Rio just gave us the same old dose of Garrard and MJD. All day. You didn't see Del Rio start throwing the ball at the end of the game did you? Hell no. Del Rio stuck to what works.

I rest. I think I have laid it out pretty well. At this point, we're in a pissing contest. As usual.

GP

Go Texans!

The play itself is a dangerous and risky play. It's a boom or bust play. It's an interception as often as it's a touchdown. But every team in the league has the play in their playbook and most teams attempt it from time to time. If you're going to judge Kubiak unfavorably for using the play, then you've got to also judge all the other coaches in the league the same way.
Gawd you're reeling me back in.

I don't think Kubiak is an awful coach for calling the play. He is, IMO, the guy where the buck stops. It stops with him. He called the play. And for down & distance (just yards from paydirt!!!!!!), the call blew goats.

I hate the call. And just because it's an available play in all coaches' books, doesn't mean it is an awesome play. It's football lotto. I hate it.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I rest. I think I have laid it out pretty well. At this point, we're in a pissing contest. As usual.
I agree.

I hope it becomes a staple play for us, and we do it at least once every half.

Brando

Hall of Fame
Texans don't cut kicker Kris Brown, they put him on IR with foot injury.

from Paul Kuharsky Espn

Reactions: J_R

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
Texans don't cut kicker Kris Brown, they put him on IR with foot injury.

from Paul Kuharsky Espn
Keep in mind that you can't release an injured player unless you reach an injury settlement first.

Maybe they want to have him available for next year, maybe they're just working out the details on the settlement.
(and keep it down - 2/3's of this board is probably hungover)

Brando

Hall of Fame
Keep in mind that you can't release an injured player unless you reach an injury settlement first.

Maybe they want to have him available for next year, maybe they're just working out the details on the settlement.
(and keep it down - 2/3's of this board is probably hungover)
lol

b0ng

Bad Hombre
You guys are crazy alcohol makes me violent. I prefer. . . Organic compunds to help me through the games and as your attorney I advise you to do the same.

Reactions: JB

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You guys are crazy alcohol makes me violent. I prefer. . . Organic compunds to help me through the games and as your attorney I advise you to do the same.
Those organic compounds make me paranoid. I'll be watching the game, & I'll swear Kubiak is doing that **** just to piss me off.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I like both!

Those organic compounds make me paranoid. I'll be watching the game, & I'll swear Kubiak is doing that **** just to piss me off.
I know the feeling well!

Dude.

He is.
:lol:

LMAO!!! Rep to all of you!

edit: TK got the old MSR... will catch you up later!

GP

Go Texans!

BTW, I never said that only our coach does this stupid play.

And if we're going by the old "Hey, so-and-so does it" routine...then let's talk about jumping off bridges, doing some nose candy, and spray-on tanning.

Some things are just dumb. Mr. HB Pass is dumb.

Onside kicks are fun, too, but you don't see teams doing them 50% of the time. That's because they are situational. Kubiak pulled out a play that was outside the realm of situational. And he paid for it.

But that's the allure of the HB Pass. It tempts you into thinking that it's a great play when 90% of the time...it's not. I hold HB Pass as the ultimate problem here. Then it trickles down to the coach who calls it, and the player who is forced to be a goat or a hero by "executing" the play.

HB Pass belongs on the Island of Misfit Football Plays. Of course, this would rob us all of the old NFL Follies vault of HB Pass blunders.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
BTW, I never said that only our coach does this stupid play.

And if we're going by the old "Hey, so-and-so does it" routine...then let's talk about jumping off bridges, doing some nose candy, and spray-on tanning.

Some things are just dumb. Mr. HB Pass is dumb.

Onside kicks are fun, too, but you don't see teams doing them 50% of the time. That's because they are situational. Kubiak pulled out a play that was outside the realm of situational. And he paid for it.

But that's the allure of the HB Pass. It tempts you into thinking that it's a great play when 90% of the time...it's not. I hold HB Pass as the ultimate problem here. Then it trickles down to the coach who calls it, and the player who is forced to be a goat or a hero by "executing" the play.

HB Pass belongs on the Island of Misfit Football Plays. Of course, this would rob us all of the old NFL Follies vault of HB Pass blunders.
Lawd! Y'all will still be arguing
:slapfight:
about that danged play in 3010.

For your own sanity...
Let
It
GO!

gary

Hall of Fame
The HB pass is over and done with. Gary called it hoping and thinking his players would run it perfectly they did not therefore it looked stupid. All coaches to a gamble every now and then and if you convert them you are a hero. If not, you will get called out for it. Everytime a team decides to go for a two point convertion there is a risk involved. For that matter each time the QB throws there is a risk he takes but that does not mean he should stop throwing the football. Gary gave it shot like all coaches take shots during a game but it did not work out due to poor play on the field and I doubt he ever calls that play again surely not on first down for the rest of his career as a HC. When I look back at that game I see lots of mistakes/reasons besides the HB pass why the Texans lost that game. For one thing they just began their come a day late and came up a dollar short but hopefully that play was just a new try that's all but life goes on. Note, I am not defending the play call at all but I am just not as angry as some simply because a chance was taken and the luck of the draw did not go the Texans way on that play. Sorry.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
The HB pass is over and done with. Gary called it hoping and thinking his players would run it perfectly they did not therefore it looked stupid. All coaches to a gamble every now and then and if you convert them you are a hero. If not, you will get called out for it. Everytime a team decides to go for a two point convertion there is a risk involved. For that matter each time the QB throws there is a risk he takes but that does not mean he should stop throwing the football. Gary gave it shot like all coaches take shots during a game but it did not work out due to poor play on the field and I doubt he ever calls that play again surely not on first down for the rest of his career as a HC. When I look back at that game I see lots of mistakes/reasons besides the HB pass why the Texans lost that game. For one thing they just began their come a day late and came up a dollar short but hopefully that play was just a new try that's all but life goes on. Note, I am not defending the play call at all but I am just not as angry as some simply because a chance was taken and the luck of the draw did not go the Texans way on that play. Sorry.
Well said.
[must spread rep....]