Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rackers staying, Brown gone

My wife's brother made a post on Facebook saying something like "competition over, Rackers made FG, Brown misses FG". I basically reamed him out for making such a decisive comment on a 57 yard FG. He's a good dude and normally knows his sports, but that was just moronic to say such a thing. I'd say the same for all who booed him when he missed.
Why was it moronic for your brother in law to say that? Most fans felt the same way. I know I did. Granted, I thought the decision had been made before the game last night. But, still, him missing that kick didn't help.

Agree about the booing. I'm not a fan of booing players at all.

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
Good luck to Kris Brown...but Rackers isn't the guy. He's not clutch at all. Y'all will see...Rackers is AWFUL in the clutch. This goes back years down the line...Brown had one awful season, Rackers is great til the chips are down.
I don't think any other kicker in the league has as many fans as Kris Brown has here. It's almost unhealthy. I'm pretty sure McNair was a fan too. That's why he stayed here until he outlived his usefulness.

The nature of the position is that it's totally expendable. Unless your name is Vinatieri or Gostkowski, you need to be looking over your shoulder. KB just isn't at their level.

When one guy loses his mojo, you bring in another guy and hope he's got some mojo.

Mike Kerns

LYSB Podcast
Didn't want to start another thread (and sorry if it's been posted), but Chris Henry is gone, too.

@caplannfl: #Texans RB Chris Henry has been told he's going to be waived, so that means Jeremiah Johnson is likely to make the team.

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
Wow, he was booed? Now that's messed up. I wasn't even disappointed with that miss. 57 yards is a long FG, and he was on target, just short. Wow, that's harsh. I had no idea the "fans" did that.
I tend to think the boos were more about his misses when the game was on the line last year.

When it comes to boos, the mob rules.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Why was it moronic for your brother in law to say that? Most fans felt the same way. I know I did. Granted, I thought the decision had been made before the game last night. But, still, him missing that kick didn't help.

Agree about the booing. I'm not a fan of booing players at all.
He was basing the competition on a 57 yard FG. Which is pretty moronic, if you asked me.

I've already said I thought the Texans were hamstrung and didn't have much of a choice but to go with Rackers.

badboy

Hall of Fame
When Kris missed the long FG attempt and came off field it appeared he ran right by Rackers who had his hand out. I remember thinking uh, oh.

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
I don't think any other kicker in the league has as many fans as Kris Brown has here. It's almost unhealthy. I'm pretty sure McNair was a fan too. That's why he stayed here until he outlived his usefulness.

The nature of the position is that it's totally expendable. Unless your name is Vinatieri or Gostkowski, you need to be looking over your shoulder. KB just isn't at their level.

When one guy loses his mojo, you bring in another guy and hope he's got some mojo.
Add Janikowski to that list. He's probably the only kicker I've seen a team
spend a first round pick on, and Sebastian is STILL a Raider!

Gotta admit he still has the strongest leg in the game right now.

HTown2ATX

TexansMetalhead
What sux is wasn't he the last original Texan?

Wait, is Turk our original punter? I can't remember who else we may have had....(at work no time to double check...)

I know we still have a coach or 2, but player wise, I thought KB was the last original Texan, but now I wonder if Turk is??

Grams

Veteran
Wait, is Turk our original punter? I can't remember who else we may have had....(at work no time to double check...)

I know we still have a coach or 2, but player wise, I thought KB was the last original Texan, but now I wonder if Turk is??
No - Stanley was the punter befor Turk.

Brown was the last of the original's.

Errant Hothy

Hypermediocrity

Chad Stanley was the original punter.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Well, there's certainly no reason to boo the man. I thought he competed well, but I think the team did the right thing in keeping Rackers. I actually wish they would have just let KB go earlier so he could pursue a job elsewhere.
This would've been the right thing to do. IMHO

I didn't boo him, but it was time for Brown to go.

About time
Not only is there accountability, but it proves that even someone who is highly thought of by the owner is held accountable. A lot of people were worried that Brown would stay because McNair likes him so much. But, McNair clearly let Kubiak do what he needed to do.

I think if this had been a couple of years ago, the thinking would have been "Aw, shucks. Let's go ahead and give him one more year. He's a good guy."

Now, the attitude appears to be that they will put the best players who they think will help them win, everything else be damned.

Brown had one awful season (well, really a couple), and several bad seasons. You need to check your history. People in this town seem to have no context for what a good kicker does. KB's '07 and '08 seasons were good, not over-the-top great. Before that, he was well below average. For his career, he's well below average. That KB is a good kicker over the course of his career is a myth.
Brown > Rackers in the clutch. Find me a big kick that Rackers made. You can't do it. :breakdance:

spurstexanstros

Texans Rising
Thank You Kris brown for working hard for the team. You had a rough year, best of luck.
I think Kubiak made this decision because of last year he had to ..otherwise the media and fans would have ripped him if KB cost us more games. I think it was the mon night Tenn game that did it. ( fastest I have ever heard 70,000 go quiet.)

I hope rackers can deliver, I like his enthusiasm about covering kickoffs, but we dont need our kicker injured and KB being on another team.

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
Brown > Rackers in the clutch. Find me a big kick that Rackers made. You can't do it. :breakdance:
Nor can you find one for Brown. The Texans "first winning season" was
last year. Kris Brown was not a major contributor. Brown had his
chance to make clutch kicks, and blew it. He's gone. Just like Sage is.

GP

Go Texans!
Reading the story with Brown's quotes made me feel sorry for him.

Which is why I really commend McNair, Smith and Kubiak for having the sack to waive him. If I felt a little sorry for him, think about how much the Big Three felt having to (a) bring in Rackers in the first place, and (b) actually going through with the cut.

You know, I was one of the biggest critics of Kris Brown last season. I was one of the most excited when we brought in Rackers. I just never really allowed myself to think/believe that they'd have the stones to cut Kris Brown. In my mind, it was always going to end up with KB pulling off the magic trick and keeping his locker.

I sit here, a little dazed and stunned, because they CUT him. They went through with it. LOL. I never dreamed, honestly, that they'd let him go. I figured he'd stay here this season and have some bad kicks and get cut in the middle of the season.

Kubiak isn't messin' around anymore. It's no longer the same old Texans. If you don't fit, you're gone. Wow.

GP

Go Texans!
My wife is thrilled.

Because even though we cut a "handsome" kicker, we added an equally "handsome" kicker.

This is why she roots for Roger Huerta and Georges St. Pierre, too, by the way.

It's all about the intangibles to her. LOL.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Do you think there was a moment of hesitation to cut Brown before trying him out as a backup qb after the interceptions? Kidding...maybe...

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
One thing I'll say at this point. No matter how your allegiance falls, Brown deserved a better send off than the chorus of "boos" he received for not converting a 57 yard FG.
I guess I must have been asleep. I was at the game in endzone seats where he was kicking. I don't really remember hearing any boos. Actually I was shocked to see him out on the field even trying to make a kick after all that talk about his PF issues.

False Start

On # 69
Best of luck to KB. He was a great guy, and had many great seasons for this team. My most memorable moment of him was when he nailed all those the FGs in the Miami game. It's kind of sad to see him go, but I think a change was needed. I really hope he can latch on with another team, and have great success. :clap:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
the ability of Kubiak & Co. to put a player into a position to fail is really quite amazing. Kris had a very low probablity making that kick from 57/56 he's not even 100% seemed like it was straight down the middle & would have been good from 45-50?

which brings me to why I was so pissed about not getting Rackers that 52 yd. FG attempt in Arizona against his former team for the tie. We'll never know but their decision process when it comes to scoring points continues to be problematic.

I have little doubt, that if Neil struggles or gets hurt, Kris Brown could be right back here kicking for the Texans.

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
Here are a few:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8b6gCAXG60
We clinch 6-10!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDuN0gkF5p0&feature=related
No Division title on the line here! We had already started the year 0-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVXqptaGQWg&feature=related
We'd gone 5-7, and eliminated ourselves from postseason contention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moWgMsYpk9s
Again. We'd gone 5-7, and eliminated ourselves from going
to the post season.
My Comments in bold. LAST YEAR was Brown's first opportunity to kick in
THE CLUTCH. Every game he missed "The Big One" was an opportunity
at a division championship or playoff seed. He BLEW EVERY SINGLE ONE.
He even choked away extra points in the Patriots game, so they had to
hand the ball to Foster. Fortunately, Arian was able to score touchdowns.
The fans booed him mercilessly when he attempted extra points.

Kris Brown would have become the Texans' version of Brad Lidge.
Get my point?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Not only is there accountability, but it proves that even someone who is highly thought of by the owner is held accountable. A lot of people were worried that Brown would stay because McNair likes him so much. But, McNair clearly let Kubiak do what he needed to do.

I think if this had been a couple of years ago, the thinking would have been "Aw, shucks. Let's go ahead and give him one more year. He's a good guy."

Now, the attitude appears to be that they will put the best players who they think will help them win, everything else be damned.
Do you not think that rather than only "accountability," the resultant move might have been taken in order for the coach and owner to avoid being ridden out on a rail the first FG Brown would have missed? I hate to be cynical, but............

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
Do you not think that rather than only "accountability," the resultant move might have been taken in order for the coach and owner to avoid being ridden out on a rail the first FG Brown would have missed? I hate to be cynical, but............
Gary Kubiak would never admit it, but they saw what happened
when HWSNBN started messin' up.

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
I think McNair and Kubiak have some pretty thick skin and will do what's right for the football team. See selecting Mario Williams over Reggie Bush and Vince Young.

With that said, I totally agree with you. I hate to think that this may have been part of a reason (albeit a small one) to get rid of Brown. If Brown stayed and missed ANY field goal, the fans would boo than that would be detrimental to his psyche everytime he's out there plus it would really deflate the entire team. I was embarrassed last year that the fanbase would boo him... I understand the frustration but it really does hit ALL the players hard. If there was the same reaction from the fanbase this season... it would do more harm to the team than the 3 points we didn't get.

Dwade

Waterboy
Finally, the cancer that is Kris Brown is gone! :kingkong:

I feel a lot better about the season now.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

Wtf??? Kris Brown never was a cancer in the locker room or in the community. Yes, he struggled last year, but calling him a cancer is just wrong and shows a total lack of class.

edit: If I was going to neg rep someone for their opinion, this would probably call for it.

Dread-Head

Hall of Fame
Brown is a class act. He donated a grand to a local charity for every field goal he made. He shall be missed. Thank you for your service sir.

b0ng

Bad Hombre
Exactly!! This is a move that will come back to bite them in the ass, just wait and see! Mark it, book it, do whatever, because at the end of the season I'm gonna be around to say I TOLD YOU SO!!!

What's done is done, and Rackers will have my TEXAN support! Above all, I hope at the end of the season I am proven wrong!!!
I'm glad to see that you didn't upend a bottle of Drain-O when Brown got cut. I was worried for a little while :)

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
If Brown stayed and missed ANY field goal, the fans would boo than that would be detrimental to his psyche everytime he's out there plus it would really deflate the entire team.
That's what I told my wife last night. Probably better for him to leave to a new venue because of crap like below.

Try not to act like an asshole. Kris Brown has been nothing but an excellent person in the community. Yes I think his kicking possibly cost us the playoffs last year but there is no reason to attack him in this fashion.

Uh, you may want to think about the phrase "cancer" as it relates to sports and locker rooms. Kris Brown missed a lot of goals last year and likely cost us a few games, but I wouldn't call him a cancer.

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
That's what I told my wife last night. Probably better for him to leave to a new venue because of crap like below.

Try not to act like an asshole. Kris Brown has been nothing but an excellent person in the community. Yes I think his kicking possibly cost us the playoffs last year but there is no reason to attack him in this fashion.
Case in point. :gun:

Dread-Head

Hall of Fame
If you winning or losing a football game ULTIMATELY depends on your kicker, then you need to check out your game film and figure out what you did earlier in the game that DIDN'T allow you to have a decent lead going into the 2 minute warning.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
If you winning or losing a football game ULTIMATELY depends on your kicker, then you need to check out your game film and figure out what you did earlier in the game that DIDN'T allow you to have a decent lead going into the 2 minute warning.
Umm, ask the Patriots about their three championships and that theory. Two of the three were won by 3 points.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
I forgot to say this earlier and I don't know how I could forget but...

Kris Brown, thanks for the last second FG to give us our only win against Indianapolis...so far.

Dwade

Waterboy
Wtf??? Kris Brown never was a cancer in the locker room or in the community. Yes, he struggled last year, but calling him a cancer is just wrong and shows a total lack of class.

edit: If I was going to neg rep someone for their opinion, this would probably call for it.
I mean a cancer to winning.

He's a good guy, but last year he sucked.

I mean a cancer to winning.

He's a good guy, but last year he sucked.
Nope. Try again. I wouldn't even call him a "cancer to winning." Yes, he sucked last year, and yes he deserved to lose his job, but, using the term cancer to describe a player usually means he was a destructable, one-man wrecking ball (did I just mix my metaphors?) on a team, on or off the field.

Kris did cost us some games last year, but he wasn't the only one responsible. Chris Brown and Gary Kubiak, for starters, were major players.

MannyFresh

El Capitan

Rackers should be able to handle the job... though I heard there is some young Gramatica and Zendejas boys looking good in college right now.

Dwade

Waterboy
Nope. Try again. I wouldn't even call him a "cancer to winning." Yes, he sucked last year, and yes he deserved to lose his job, but, using the term cancer to describe a player usually means he was a destructable, one-man wrecking ball (did I just mix my metaphors?) on a team, on or off the field.

Kris did cost us some games last year, but he wasn't the only one responsible. Chris Brown and Gary Kubiak, for starters, were major players.
They were also cancers to winning. Chris Brown is gone, Kris Brown is gone.....do you see where I'm going with this? :kitten:

If we want to go deep in the playoffs, Kubes has gotta go. If he doesn't make the playoffs this year he needs to leave.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
They were also cancers to winning. Chris Brown is gone, Kris Brown is gone.....do you see where I'm going with this? :kitten:

If we want to go deep in the playoffs, Kubes has gotta go. If he doesn't make the playoffs this year he needs to leave.
No because none of them deserve to be called cancers. Chris Brown makes a good throw and Kubiak is a genius for calling that half back pass. It's asinine the way people make that out as some sort of example of his stupidity. But people don't judge the call honestly and just criticize the result. Bill Parcells made exactly the same call in the playoffs and he's in the hall of fame.

Dwade

Waterboy
No because none of them deserve to be called cancers. Chris Brown makes a good throw and Kubiak is a genius for calling that half back pass. It's asinine the way people make that out as some sort of example of his stupidity. But people don't judge the call honestly and just criticize the result. Bill Parcells made exactly the same call in the playoffs and he's in the hall of fame.
Well maybe if Kubiak can make the playoffs I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Parcells has won Super Bowls.

hobie

All Pro
He also has 2 SB victories.. :peek: