Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Quarterback Quandary?

What do the Texans need to do?:-

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I see a lot of discussion about the quarterback situation in Texansville - understandably so seeing it is the most important position.
It looks at the moment that Brock Osweiler is not the solution, although some have made a case that we should not give up on him just yet.
He was benched for Tom Savage in the Jags game who came in and had considerable success bringing the team home for a win from a 13 point deficit. Many including myself were excited at what he brought to the team in a spark and demonstrating a live arm.
He then had an ordinary first half v the Bengals but still won the game but many were immediately disenchanted with the lack of offense and are now shopping for a new QB.
I am shocked at how quickly some have turned against Savage and there is much heated debate in these fora.
Personally I think it is shortsighted to want to kick him to he curb so soon.
For example, if a team drafts a new QB, one of the first things a responsible team would do would be to protect him. They would also get him good help with some good TE's, receivers and a strong running game and mold the game plan around his abilities.
Next season, Texans will have the opportunity to employ some of these concepts with new olinemen, etc, so to abandon Savage so quickly is irrational.
I am sure we will see plenty more lively debate on this topic over the ensuing months so a poll seems to be the order of the day.
This one will stay up for 4 months.
Edit - I added a poll option I inadvertently left out.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think the biggest thing that needs to happen to "fix" our QB situation, our coaches need to figure out what they're trying to do & why it appears our QBs aren't executing it.

Fix that problem first, then fix the QB issue.

Scooter

Funky
Oz sucks. Weeden sucks. Savage can barely stay healthy without even playing to prove that as a 4th rounder he's better than 'fine we'll put someone else in'. We don't have a legitimate quarterback on the roster.

Fire O'Brien. Hire Shanahan.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Oz sucks. Weeden sucks. Savage can barely stay healthy without even playing to prove that as a 4th rounder he's better than 'fine we'll put someone else in'. We don't have a legitimate quarterback on the roster.

Fire O'Brien. Hire Shanahan.
Baby Shanny as HC/OC and Vrabel as DC?

Scooter

Funky
Baby Shanny as HC/OC and Vrabel as DC?
YUP. Bill Walsh to Mike Shanahan to Gary Kubiak and now Baby Shanahan. Each installment has evolved the previous system to be ahead of the game. Kyle is the current leader. Vrabel is the same on defense. Everybody's looking for the next big thing and wanting what the Steelers have as 'lifetime' coaches. Pay Kyle whatever he wants and we ride out the next 20 years with he and Vrabel ... on the assumption that the McNairs retire to Tahiti and stay the Ufck out of their way.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
No Weeden option is going to get someone off to a bad start to the New Year.

Thorsson

Waterboy
No Weeden option is going to get someone off to a bad start to the New Year.
Weeden is the best QB on this team. The Texans are undefeated when he plays. Of course, Weeden will never play another down for the Texans unless both Osweiler & Savage get hurt, probably due to age or ginger-hair discrimination.

H

humblegeo

Draft a good quarterback propect high draft choice, give Osweiler one more year to see if he can work out, we don't have much choice with that one, cut Savage, seen enough of him after 3 years and very injury prone...instead pic up a good seasoned veteran quarterback to backup Osweiler. And get a new HEAD COACH. 9 starting quarterbacks in the past 3 years on Obrien's watch. Enough is enough!!

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Was David Carr the only quarterback we have drafted in the first round in the past 15 years? That seems strange. The 2002 draft was so long ago!
We traded two 2nds for Matt S. along with a big contract...equal to using 1st round pick...and then gave Brock O. a starter's contract. Under those conditions not normal to draft 1st rounder also, but not out of the question

TripleTap

Dead Wood
Weeden is the best QB on this team. The Texans are undefeated when he plays. Of course, Weeden will never play another down for the Texans unless both Osweiler & Savage get hurt, probably due to age or ginger-hair discrimination.
I tend to think that Weeden is a decent option, at least equal to the other two, probably a little better if he had any playing time. But he's old, isn't he? Like 33 or something? He could be a stopgap. The other two are doorstops.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I think a couple of things are clear:

#1. Ob is his own worst enemy. I want an infusion of offensive coaching talent. Dont care who - dont care how...maybe just 1 coach, whatever. Ob no longer calls plays and focusses on game management (because he sucks there to.) This team has the #1 defense and the time to capitalize on that wont last long. This set up was a disaster in '16 and if they're to stupid to understand a need for a change they need to not be back for 17.

#2. This offensive line is a bubble guts leftover. I want at least 2 new starters and wouldn't be upset if we drafted 4 lineman. I dont care about the consequences of that mathematically. Everyone minus brown is on notice. Bring in more talent and jettison the trash.

#3. We have no reason to be confident in oz or savage next year. Draft a qb in the top 3 rounds and as i've advocated in the past, keep drafting qbs evey year until we find a franchise guy.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Go after Rivers. Stop this QB carousel. Rivers can step in tomorrow and we will be SuperBowl contenders. Draft a QB in 2018 when the class is supposed to be deep and talented compared to the one we have. If we have Rivers for 3-4 we could have a guy trained and waiting for us instead if this drafting and rolling the dice scenario. With SD firing their coach, it just might be possible.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I think a couple of things are clear:

#1. Ob is his own worst enemy. I want an infusion of offensive coaching talent. Dont care who - dont care how...maybe just 1 coach, whatever. Ob no longer calls plays and focusses on game management (because he sucks there to.) This team has the #1 defense and the time to capitalize on that wont last long. This set up was a disaster in '16 and if they're to stupid to understand a need for a change they need to not be back for 17.

#2. This offensive line is a bubble guts leftover. I want at least 2 new starters and wouldn't be upset if we drafted 4 lineman. I dont care about the consequences of that mathematically. Everyone minus brown is on notice. Bring in more talent and jettison the trash.

#3. We have no reason to be confident in oz or savage next year. Draft a qb in the top 3 rounds and as i've advocated in the past, keep drafting qbs evey year until we find a franchise guy.
I pretty much agree with this. McNair needs to do what he did with Kubiak/Wade and fire Godsey and bring in a proven offensive mind. They should probably fire Devlin and try again

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I don't think this question can be reasonably answered until at least after the postseason.
Tell
Go after Rivers. Stop this QB carousel. Rivers can step in tomorrow and we will be SuperBowl contenders. Draft a QB in 2018 when the class is supposed to be deep and talented compared to the one we have. If we have Rivers for 3-4 we could have a guy trained and waiting for us instead if this drafting and rolling the dice scenario. With SD firing their coach, it just might be possible.
It would be the final piece to the puzzle to have a headliner type QB but could we afford him?
And would San Diego be silly enough to let him walk?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Tell

It would be the final piece to the puzzle to have a headliner type QB but could we afford him?
I don't think Rivers would be a fit here with OB's style and McNair as an owner. There would really be fighting in the meetings then

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Tell

Everyone has their price. All you can do is ask, get turned down, and let it out they we were shopping to let Rivers know. He has seen Eli and Roethlisberger win rings so it must eat away at him. He may demand a trade after finding out we are shopping.

If we could afford him I don't know, but something would have to be done with Oz's contract for.sure. Couldn't afford both.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I don't think Rivers would be a fit here with OB's style and McNair as an owner. There would really be fighting in the meetings then
You are probably 100% right, but the cluster f*** we have at QB is not a fit either. And drafting a QB and waiting a few years to see if it pans out will waste all the talent we have on defense. Namely Watt and Clowney. We are past win now mode.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Have you seen our OL? Unless Rivers can block and throw, he isn't surviving behind our current OL.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Have you seen our OL? Unless Rivers can block and throw, he isn't surviving behind our current OL.
I think Texans go after at least a RT high in the draft plus Martin comes back.
I bet they take a guard in the top half also.

Last edited:

bigmck

Rookie
Was David Carr the only quarterback we have drafted in the first round in the past 15 years? That seems strange. The 2002 draft was so long ago!
Yea, the next highest pick was Dave Ragone , Round 3 in 2003, then Savage in the fourth round. Now that is STRANGE.

Last edited:

bigmck

Rookie
If SD said "Yes" today, it probably would not be possible with Os eating up all of the Cap Space.

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
If SD said "Yes" today, it probably would not be possible with Os eating up all of the Cap Space.
Someone said at BRB when I mentioned trading for Drew Brees: Just trade Osweiler and a pick for Rivers . It would be cap relief for the Chargers just like the Saints and they could walk away after a year. Win/win for both teams

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I pretty much agree with this. McNair needs to do what he did with Kubiak/Wade and fire Godsey and bring in a proven offensive mind. They should probably fire Devlin and try again
Marrone

If he doesn't get another HC job.

Great OL coach with HC/OC experience.

Reactions: JB

Number19

Hall of Fame
I don't know the financial situation facing the organization, but IMO, my plan would be to sign our defensive FA's and then pretty much sit tight on the defensive side of the ball, for one year. After this my focus would be to improve our offense.

I sit on the side of the fence that our OL needs major rework. With Martin and Mantz, I think we are OK at OC, but our first three picks should be two OG's and an OT. With the 4th pick I'd have some flexibility, but I lean toward staying with the OL and would look at another OT for development.

QB? I'd wait until 2018 if we could resign Weeden as a veteran backup. I'd go into training camp with Savage as the designated starter. Oz? I don't think he has a future here and I'd go ahead and bite the financial bullet and release him. I'd sign another FA veteran to be the 3rd QB.

With our bottom three picks, BPA; but with emphasis on special teams.

But we need a major rework of our OL and I would over emphasize this need with the top of our draft. Lower round picks have less a chance of making an immediate impact and as a general rule are players of lesser talent with lower upside. I'd like two immediate starters on our OL from the draft.

We can sit pat with our receivers and RB's.

IMO.

Last edited:

Brandon420tx

Flounder
Even the WCO requires a QB that throws to the target.
Brocks done better on plays where he knows where the route is going, WCO basically has none of that options route crap. And by better I mean he barely clips the broadside of a barn and not "where the hell is that ball going?"

But I have zero confidence in any QB in this system behind a shoddy Oline

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Brocks done better on plays where he knows where the route is going, WCO basically has none of that options route crap. And by better I mean he barely clips the broadside of a barn and not "where the hell is that ball going?"

But I have zero confidence in any QB in this system behind a shoddy Oline
I like the Erhardt system,

You need an accurate QB.

Something Os will never be.

PapaL

Loose Screw
I think Texans go after at least a RT high in the draft plus Martin comes back.
I bet they also take a guard in the top half also.
That would shut me up about terrible OL. I don't think Brock is worth much but you have to protect your high dollar investment; be it Brock, Savage, or TBD.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
It could be the crap system OBrien runs. Brock might be OK in something more . . . workable.
If he weren't so godawful inacurate, I might could agree with that.

The thing is, Fitz had a 6 TD game once and even Hoyer played well in it against bad defenses or in garbage time. Brock hasn't even done that.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Everyone has their price. All you can do is ask, get turned down, and let it out they we were shopping to let Rivers know. He has seen Eli and Roethlisberger win rings so it must eat away at him. He may demand a trade after finding out we are shopping.

If we could afford him I don't know, but something would have to be done with Oz's contract for.sure. Couldn't afford both.

They just gave Rivers a nice hefty extension this past offseason. hahaha they are not parting ways any time soon.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Man just start all over from scratch offensive wise. Meaning get a new Coach, OC and draft a QB while keeping Brock and Savage.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Wow, people want us to stick with Savage. Lol!

Houston fans deserve to have a loser with that mentality. Not surprised though.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
What we need to do is fire O'Brien and hire whoever Crennel wants as head coach.
Won't happen, but the problem would be trying to find someone better if we did. I don't think that would be easy.

I'd be happy if we went after the Saints HS. I hear they are willing to part ways with him right now and the Rams are interested. He'd be worth making a coaching change for.