Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

QBs in this draft class.

Is there a guy in this draft that you like better than Tj or Keenum for this, that can be had for a 5th or later?

Is there a guy you like in this draft that you like better than Tj or Keenum, that is worth spending a 4th or better

Didn't see this.

I'm too biased to answer the question anyway, :lol:

I desperately want a quarterback to groom behind Schaub as I see his play tailing off...agree or not thats been hashed out repeatedly. I didn't watch much college ball this year but i've been reading a LOT of scouting reports on the position...

This is a dreadful year to draft a qb in the top 4 rounds. I cant find anybody I really like. Even Geno wouldnt be a consideration for me till the early 2nd. Some schaub clones out there and that kinda defeats the purpose of drafting one for me.

I've gotta agree with playoffs on this. Teams ALWAYS reach...we'll see less this year.

I desperately want a quarterback to groom behind Schaub as I see his play tailing off...agree or not thats been hashed out repeatedly. I didn't watch much college ball this year but i've been reading a LOT of scouting reports on the position...

This is a dreadful year to draft a qb in the top 4 rounds. I cant find anybody I really like. Even Geno wouldnt be a consideration for me till the early 2nd. Some schaub clones out there and that kinda defeats the purpose of drafting one for me.

I've gotta agree with playoffs on this. Teams ALWAYS reach...we'll see less this year.

It's never too early or a BAD year to look forward.

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2013/03/27/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2012/

YEAR: 2013
Tyler Bray, Tennessee 59
Zac Dysert, Miami (OH) 59
James Vandenberg, Iowa 57
Ryan Nassib, Syracuse 56
Bradley Sorensen, Southern Utah 56
Geno Smith, West Virginia 55
Tyler Wilson, Arkansas 55
EJ Manuel, Florida State 54
Matthew Scott, Arizona 54
Landry Jones, Oklahoma 53
Collin Klein, Kansas State 52
Colby Cameron, Louisiana Tech 51
Marqueis Gray, Minnesota 51
Michael Glennon, North Carolina State 49
Matt Barkley, Southern Cal – Did not throw
Sean Renfree, Duke – Did not throw

YEAR: 2012
Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State 59
Kirk Cousins, Michigan State 59
Nick Foles, Arizona 57
Russell Wilson, Wisconsin 55
Case Keenum, Houston 55
Ryan Lindley, San Diego State 52
Kellen Moore, Boise State 52
Robert Griffin III, Baylor Did not throw
Andrew Luck, Stanford Did not throw
Brock Osweiler, Arizona State Did not throw
Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M Did not throw

YEAR: 2011
Colin Kaepernick, Nevada 59
Ryan Mallett, Arkansas 58
Andy Dalton, TCU 56
Cam Newton, Auburn 56
Scott Tolzien, Wisconsin 55
Jake Locker, Washington 54
TJ Yates, North Carolina 52
Christian Ponder, Florida St 51
Ricky Stanzi, Iowa 50
Tyrod Taylor, Va Tech 50
Greg McElroy, Alabama Did not throw
Blaine Gabbert, Missouri Did not throw

YEAR: 2010
Colt McCoy, Texas 56 (Did not throw at Combine. Throw was recorded at a private workout with a Radar Gun & Computer Chip in Ball.
Sam Bradford, Oklahoma Did not throw
Tim Tebow, Florida Did not throw

YEAR: 2009
Mark Sanchez, Southern Cal 57
Josh Freeman, Kansas State 57
Chase Daniels, Missouri 57
Matt Stafford, Georgia Did not throw

YEAR 2008:
Joe Flacco, Delaware 55

Greg Cosell said he had a conversation with a former NFL head coach who told him Bills would be crazy not to take Ryan Nassib at 8.

Bill Polian ranked Landry Jones as draft's No. 1 QB: "I was at the game in Norman when he beat Tannehill head to head. This guy's a winner."
**** like that scares the hell out of me but then realize he must be on someones payroll.

Bob McGinn: Rating the NFL draft prospects: Quarterbacks

The Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn assesses the top quarterbacks in the draft next week. Included is each player's height, weight, 40-yard dash time and projected round.

QUARTERBACKS

1. GENO SMITH, West Virginia (6-2½, 217, 4.58, 1-2) - Started for three seasons...

2. MATT BARKLEY, Southern California (6-2½, 231, 4.92, 1-2) - Posted a 34-13 record...

3. E.J. MANUEL, Florida State (6-4½, 238, 4.62, 1-2) - Failed to beat out Christian Ponder...

4. RYAN NASSIB, Syracuse (6-2, 228, 4.98, 2-3) - Led the leading QBs on the Wonderlic with...

5. MIKE GLENNON, North Carolina State (6-7, 222, 4.99, 2-3) - Several scouts said he has the best arm...

6. LANDRY JONES, Oklahoma (6-4, 225, 5.09, 3-4) - "Erratic" was a scout's ...

7. TYLER WILSON, Arkansas (6-2, 215, 4.98, 4-5) - Much better in 2011 under coach Bobby Petrino...

8. TYLER BRAY, Tennessee (6-6, 229, 5.07, 4-5) - Third-year junior with a 13-11 record....

9. MATT SCOTT, Arizona (6-2, 212, 4.65, 5) - Benched early in 2010 in favor of Nick Foles...

10. ZAC DYSERT, Miami (Ohio) (6-3, 227, 4.81, 5-6) - Four-sport athlete in Ada, Ohio...

OTHERS: Brad Sorensen, Southern Utah; Jordan Rodgers, Vanderbilt; James Vandenberg, Iowa; Sean Renfree, Duke; Collin Klein, Kansas State; Jeff Tuel, Washington State; Dayne Crist, Kansas; Colby Cameron, Louisiana Tech; Alex Carder, Western Michigan.

There's something wrong with those guns.
Glennon easily has the best arm.

Also, I've recently rewatched 5 Volunteers games the last couple of days (to verify that smoke screen about C Patterson - that director must be a crack head if he truly believes what he claimed and should be fired on the laptop).
Bray was clocked between 50-55, normally closer to 50 than 55.

Not really; they still drafted 7 QBs in the first 4 rounds.
With it being a weak class, other teams simply waited longer for the rest.

I've got my top 4 guys drafted, just not in the order.
Most impressive was Mike Glennon, whom I thought to be a better prospect than most if not all around here felt, LOL.

Actually, I just looked it up.
Seven in the first four rounds is more like the norm for the last fifteen years, on the plus side.
There were maybe 4 years when teams drafted 8 (most); there were several more years when six or fewer were drafted in the top 4 rounds.

Actually, I just looked it up.
Seven in the first four rounds is more like the norm for the last fifteen years, on the plus side.
Yes, but the average draft position for those 7 was #80. Only 2010's draft had the top 7 QBs selected averaging a lower draft slot over the past 13 drafts.

I think this group would have gone higher, had they matched up with the trend of athletic QBs. The two QBs with plus athletic ability were the 1st 2 QBs selected. Had Barkley and Glennon been able to run 4.6 40's, they would have gone in the 1st or 2nd rounds, as well.

Back