Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Proper Rebuild

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It is the GMs decision to trade up or not.

If you're telling me Kubiak was pounding the table for a guy & Rick refused that's one thing. A point of discussion. But still Rick's decision to invest the capital.

With hindsight we can see Keenum was as good as any of those guys. So to the point of drafting a QB at that time, I fall on Rick's side.

Now the decision to extend Schaub. I fall on Kubiak's side.

The decision to keep starting Schaub, I think Kubiak made his point & should have moved on.
That's not what one of our posters that would know told me. You should ask him yourself.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
2012 could have taken Russel Wilson instead of Devier Posey or Kirk Cousins instead of Ben Jones
I understand.

However, I believe coming out of college Case Keenum were comparable to them. No one expected Wilson to flourish as he did. With Kubiak I believe Keenum could have been better than Cousins but still a notch below Wilson.

I believe Cousins would have fit that group as well with Kubiak.

I preferred Cousins as well. My point is Keenum is comparable to Cousins & Kubiak should have embraced him until we could acquire a true franchise QB.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What QB are you saying RS should have drafted that would have been better than Case Keenum?
I'm not saying that they should have drafted anybody.

Kubiak said he needed a QB. He was also against the Schaub extension. This is according to the poster and I believe him.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm not saying that they should have drafted anybody.

Kubiak said he needed a QB. He was also against the Schaub extension. This is according to the poster and I believe him.
My argument, he had Yates & Keenum. Both were on par with the overall QBs coming out at that time. Schaub flopped. Proved Kubiak right.

From that point, where fans were cheering that a QB change was finally made, regardless what Rick did/didn't do in the offseason, Kubiak should have moved on. Instead, he kept poking the bear & put Schaub back in the game.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
With Kubiak I believe Keenum could have been better than Cousins but still a notch below Wilson.
Purely hypothetical with no basis in fact

My point is Keenum is comparable to Cousins & Kubiak should have embraced him until we could acquire a true franchise QB.
I think Kubiak got hard-headed at that point. He was going to play his QB regardless of what McNair wanted

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Purely hypothetical with no basis in fact
Absolutely. Still valid unless we’re saying Kubiak wanted Wilson or Cousins in a bad way.

We’re saying Kubiak was mad because RS didn’t draft a QB. He got a bust of a WR & a 10 year starting Center instead. With a QB comparable to Wilson & Cousins as an UDFA as a consolation prize.

Would it have made a difference if we drafted Keenum instead of Ben Jones?

Just doesn’t make sense to me that Kubiak was bent about not drafting a QB at that time.

Upset about Schaub being resigned… not going after Manning (I think that was about that time) I can understand.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Absolutely. Still valid unless we’re saying Kubiak wanted Wilson or Cousins in a bad way.

We’re saying Kubiak was mad because RS didn’t draft a QB. He got a bust of a WR & a 10 year starting Center instead. With a QB comparable to Wilson & Cousins as an UDFA as a consolation prize.

Would it have made a difference if we drafted Keenum instead of Ben Jones?

Just doesn’t make sense to me that Kubiak was bent about not drafting a QB at that time.

Upset about Schaub being resigned… not going after Manning (I think that was about that time) I can understand.
Who said Kubiak was mad/bent? I've only seen that he wanted a QB and RS said no

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
My argument, he had Yates & Keenum. Both were on par with the overall QBs coming out at that time. Schaub flopped. Proved Kubiak right.

From that point, where fans were cheering that a QB change was finally made, regardless what Rick did/didn't do in the offseason, Kubiak should have moved on. Instead, he kept poking the bear & put Schaub back in the game.
That was the final straw in what had been growing dysfunction btween the Godfather and the guy who helped get the Godfather his job. RS was quite the politician. He positioned himself well. If he had only spent as much time scouting as he did playing the political game the Texans might have brought Lombardi to Kirby.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Proper rebuild doesn’t also include giving up your best talent for little to no return. Bradly Robey, Mark Ingram and Charles Omenihu, who in three games with 49ers, they have not lost and made big tackle for loss last week vs Minnesota.
As long as they don’t do what the Patriots do, they’ll be ok.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
While we have all outlined or given ideas on a proper approach to a rebuild. Do we really think Cal is going to do it correctly is the biggest question

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Huh?
Them Cards had been in the Conference Championship Game and the Super Bowl on separate occasions since 2008.

As for the latest team, it only took them two years from 3-13 to the current 10-2 team.
They’re not going anywhere. This year will be the high water mark…divisional round…don’t see them making the AFCCG…..Nuk is slowing down, Watt’s done…GREEN’s done…no real run game. Kings bury offense is gimmicky highly dependent on Murray..who over the last 2 years has shown he’s not all that durable.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
They’re not going anywhere. This year will be the high water mark…divisional round…don’t see them making the AFCCG…..Nuk is slowing down, Watt’s done…GREEN’s done…no real run game. Kings bury offense is gimmicky highly dependent on Murray..who over the last 2 years has shown he’s not all that durable.
Probably.
But all a team needs is to get on a hot streak in the playoffs...
Or get lucky.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
James Connor is a terrific short yardage and red zone threat. Just wondering why Pitt kicked him to the curb? Then go out and spend FIRST round pick on RB. Is that a case for proper rebuild..
He had 94 yards receiving too. He said they didn't ask him to catch the ball in Pitt

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
James Connor is a terrific short yardage and red zone threat. Just wondering why Pitt kicked him to the curb? Then go out and spend FIRST round pick on RB. Is that a case for proper rebuild..
you don't pass up drafting a feature guy like Harris for a short yardage back no matter how "terrific" he is.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Hopefully he's that guy. At this point he hasn't even had a full allotment to work with. The juries still out.

Agreed, whether fans like it or not Caserio is going to be here for atleast the next 4 yrs. So they should be hoping he's successful instead of wanting to be right.

So far out of the draft Caserio has found 2 guys that can play. (Collins/Lopez and the juries still out on Mills) He's found a couple of guys in FA that may become long term pieces. (Collins/Taylor/KGH) What more did y'all expect with so little resources to work with?
Another one bites the dust, and another one gone, and another one gone. :brando:

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Who goes back a year to find someones opinion piece to laugh at them because someone he thought was a good pickup asked for his release because a rookie (that wouldn't be on the field for 11 months) took over playing time? Did KGH jump the gun after 1 week or did he see the handwriting on the wall?