Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Preseason GM 3: the 49ers

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
I always thought the 49ers should have been the Packers but then what do I know? I liked the Redskins more than the name Commanders.
A lot of people liked the Redskins more, but the squeaky wheel gets greased. However my issue wasn't with the name change, it was inevitable, the name was outdated and derogative.. Honestly I think the league was tired of dealing with the controversy and hearing about it.

My issue is the name they chose. There were a lot of Native Americans who looked past the "Redskins" and viewed the team as their team. Cowboys and Indians rivalry and all. You want to get rid of Redskins (I get it), however they could've and should've just renamed the team in a way to still honor the people.

Washington commanders sounds like a team in a old cheap video game that couldn't afford licensing fees.

Washington commanders.. Might as well renamed them the Washington Charlatans, it would've fit better, but what do I know.. I'm the fan of a team named the Houston Texans 🤔

Last edited:

Porky

Hall of Fame
Yup the Commanders is so blah and meaningless, it's the worst name in the NFL by far. The Titans isn't a whole lot better when you're based in the home of country music, but it's still way better than Commanders. If you wanted to stick with the Native American theme, there has to be some term that won't offend someone. I'm not sure why just "Indians" is offensive. If Indians is offensive, how is Cowboys not? The other idea would be something like the Washington Senators, or even the Presidents. Something that fits with the city.

Turning to the game, my main focus is Mills. He's got to get his act in gear tonight. He'll have his full compliment of players. If he fails tonight, I don't want to hear any excuses.

Next on my list is D Pearce. Can he still look like the clear cut #1 guy as he did in game 1? I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Green is finally going to get some action. I'll be curious to see what he can do. Line play can be hard to evaluate from TV, especially when you don't know the assignment...but I don't want him to be a turnstile and I want to see a couple of pancakes out there in the run game. Might be too much to ask for a first timer, but would be nice.

Jalen Camp - kind of disappeared last game. Can he look like the guy in game 1? If so, I think he wraps up a roster spot.

On D, too many guys to list...of course Stingley among many others...but a guy I've been very impressed with is Derek Rivers. I want to see him take some snaps with the ones. This guy is on the rise, but it's a bit hard to tell how far he has come when he's going against 2's and 3's.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
You want to get rid of Redskins (I get it), however they could've and should've just renamed the team in a way to still honor the people.
Still? The name never honored anyone. I think there would have been more protests by Native Americans had they not had bigger issues to deal with like poverty, healthcare, and education.

Commanders is such a dry name. Like the Nationals. Liked Hogs, or Hawgs. It was part of the heritage of the franchise during their glory years. Invokes smashmouth football. The Commanders are just another Daniel Snyder fail.

If Indians is offensive, how is Cowboys not
Because a Cowboy is an occupation. Being an "Indian" is an inaccurate description given to them by their conquerors. Not as racist as Redskins, but still demeaning. I guess they could keep the Native American theme going by naming the team for a local tribe like the Anacostans. John Madden is no longer around to call them the "Stans". But it was best to just move on. It's just that Snyder should have moved on with a name that's not so lame.

Last edited:

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Looking forward to see the starters play at least the first half. I’m also hoping to see at least 50% of the playbook being employed.
Same. According to podcasts from people who have been at practice we have seen maybe 1/3 of the offense. I've also heard Mills is looking good on deep passes but we have yet to see him go more than 20yrds maybe in the 1st 2 games. Apparently, this is the short passes part of the system. Because people who have been at camp, coaches and players have all said when interviewed that Mills has been very good at hitting both Nico, Dorsett and others deep. However, we have not seen any long passes in a game yet really. Lovie was very direct that they were progressing with the playbook and Mills looked great pushing the ball down field. Makes me wonder why seeing the games don't count right now that we have by and large only seen stuff like slats, digs, crossing patterns and screens. Why would you wait for the final game (if they do it in this one) to use more of the playbook? Seems you cut it close to correct anything if you are not doing it in the preseason to see if it works or needs work. Waiting for the final game leaves very little time to correct any mistakes. Also, I want to see our starting RB play more as 1 game with a 9.8yrd average is nice. Yet can he sustain it longer than a few drives. So seeing Dameon Pierce, who is largely believed to be the starter by most after game 1. That is after what he showed in game 1. And they are resting him now? Let's see at the very least 1 full quarter from him.

Last, what percent of the OL is playing. As last game they didn't help Mills or the run game at all with players out. I understand Greene seeing he had a concussion...but what about the rest.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
Still? The name never honored anyone. I think there would have been more protests by Native Americans had they not had bigger issues to deal with like poverty, healthcare, and education.

Commanders is such a dry name. Like the Nationals. Liked Hogs, or Hawgs. It was part of the heritage of the franchise during their glory years. Invokes smashmouth football. The Commanders are just another Daniel Snyder fail.

Because a Cowboy is an occupation. Being an "Indian" is an inaccurate description given to them by their conquerors. Not as racist as Redskins, but still demeaning. I guess they could keep the Native American theme going by naming the team for a local tribe like the Anacostans. John Madden is no longer around to call them the "Stans". But it was best to just move on. It's just that Snyder should have moved on with a name that's not so lame.
Ok, to honor the people. One word change, are you really going to get hung up on that? Point still stands.

Unlike a lot of people here I actually have native blood in me.. My grandmother was half, her grandfather was a Chief, so when I talk about this, there is perspective. They are proud people, but not complainers. Who complained more about the name? Native Americans.. or a bunch of white guilted Karens?

Thunderbirds would be a badass pro team name, they could've picked numerous other names and still kept the connection. Commanders is so generic and boring it doesn't tie into anything.. I'm glad the Chicago Blackhawks didn't cave into pressure to change their name. The team who has navigated this the best since day 1 is the Florida state Seminoles. Point is Washington just needed a rebrand, but not ditch the entire representation of Native Americans.

Cleveland Guardians sounds stupid as hell too.

Last edited:

Porky

Hall of Fame
I can see how Redskins name could be offensive to some. Most of the complainers weren't American Indian, they were white Karen's who hold a professional degree in being offended.

So...how to appease that base of person yet still pay homage to the Native American? I know - let's call ourselves the Commanders!

The Chief's is taken...which is the best. Braves is second best. But what about a large tribe. The Washington Cherokee's is a good name, or they could go with the Apache's. That's another good name. The Commanders is barely a level above the Washington football team. It's completely meaningless tripe made up by some group of PR people in order to not be offensive to anyone.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

I can tell you from experience most Native Americans, least the ones in Oklahoma, didn't give a flying rat's butt about the name. Most of the screaming about the name was people being offended on their behalf that never actually talked to the tribes. Do agree with you though that the name Commanders is so, so bad.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
I can see how Redskins name could be offensive to some. Most of the complainers weren't American Indian, they were white Karen's who hold a professional degree in being offended.

So...how to appease that base of person yet still pay homage to the Native American? I know - let's call ourselves the Commanders!

The Chief's is taken...which is the best. Braves is second best. But what about a large tribe. The Washington Cherokee's is a good name, or they could go with the Apache's. That's another good name. The Commanders is barely a level above the Washington football team. It's completely meaningless tripe made up by some group of PR people in order to not be offensive to anyone.
I'm going to call them the Washington Complainers, because that's all I hear out of that area.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Ok, to honor the the people. One word change, are you really going to get hung up on that? Point still stands.

Unlike a lot of people here I actually have native blood in me.. My grandmother was half, her grandfather was a Chief, so when I talk about this, there is perspective. They are proud people, but not complainers. Who complained more about the name? Native Americans.. or a bunch of white guilted Karens?

Thunderbirds would be a badass pro team name, they could've picked numerous other names and still kept the connection. Commanders is so generic and boring it doesn't tie into anything.. I'm glad the Chicago Blackhawks didn't cave into pressure to change their name. The team who has navigated this the best since day 1 is the Florida state Seminoles. Point is Washington just needed a rebrand, but not ditch the entire representation of native Americans.

Cleveland Guardians sounds stupid as hell too.
I did an old post regarding this issue…..I recommended the Redhawks and Washington falling back on their classic helmet with the “R” in a circle and a single feather attached to the circle. The update…..Maroon helmet instead of gold, gold outline around circle and feather, a maroon “R” on a white background, and a feather that was maroon and white. Oh, the gold face mask would be proper.

The current look…..comes off like someone was forced to come up with an idea in 15 minutes or they were going to be fired…..and they got fired anyways.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
I did an old post regarding this issue…..I recommended the Redhawks and Washington falling back on their classic helmet with the “R” in a circle and a single feather attached to the circle. The update…..Maroon helmet instead of gold, gold outline around circle and feather, a maroon “R” on a white background, and a feather that was maroon and white. Oh, the gold face mask would be proper.

The current look…..comes off like someone was forced to come up with an idea in 15 minutes or they were going to be fired…..and they got fired anyways.
See there you go, that would've been perfect.. Commanders.. That's worse than just being called the Washington football team, might as well just kept it at that.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Going to a local concert tonight for some drinks, but will try to catch the game on my phone anyway lol. Hoping to see more of our full starters and playbook. Would like to see a solid 2-3 drives this game and some consistency to build upon.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
Is Dameon Pierce playing tonight? I only got to watch highlights of his performance in the first game.. if He is playing, I'm really looking forward to that.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Cooks I can see. We need the LT and C to play - to keep Mills upright and to help the young buck getting his first reps.

I was talking to a good friend and huge Cowboy fan this morning and we were talking about Tyron Smith. I told him we'll give you Tunsil for Smith (LT next year), a first rd pick and Michael Gallup.

That's actually a pretty fair deal. Gallup is coming off an ACL but has a lot of talent and would help the WR depth immensely. Smith...if he gets right next year is an upgrade on Tunsil. And you've got another first rounder in your bucket to use (if needed) to get your QB or to add talent elsewhere.

Now this year with no LT worth a damn...well...it's called tanking!

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

As somebody who loves the American West whose traveled thru many Indian reservations while touring and living on that great land out there, which is my definition of Gods country, honestly I can't count on both hands the number of grade & High schools on those reservations I've seen with mascots or nicknames of Indians or some kind of Indian theme - Indians, Braves, Chiefs, Warriors, Comanches, Apaches, Blackfeet, Red Raiders, etc.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
It's on the local Fox channel in Houston tonight. No Tillman thankfully.
If there's no Tillman I'm boycotting.

Are you reading this, KRIV Houston? No Tillman, NO BRISCO.

And then we have the...*drum roll*

Houston Texans *whomp, whomp*
I like the name because it reminds me of Spencer Tillman. People either hate it or are left confused.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

So when kids play Cowboys and Politically corrects now who kills who and since guns are about to be outlawed do they just beat each other with sticks?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
should we watch Texans 49ers or possible Super Bowl face off GB VS KC?

solution: watch GB vs KC and record TX vs Niners and study the film.

Last edited:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I’ve had the Amazon feed on for 15 minutes, nothing but Niners talk so far. Almost makes you miss Spencer.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Hughes flashed first couple plays. High motor forcing a hurry.

Nelson got away with PI there.

King should have called fair catch!

austins23

Hall of Fame
I’m watching the play clock…
Got my first assignment tomorrow night under the Friday Night Lights! Running the play clock tomorrow night, game clock next Friday!
told my wife I’m doing homework!! Lol