Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Preseason GM 3: the 49ers

They’re not going to use him to do much running though. He’ll be more involved in the pass game. And again, who are they keeping over him?
Mack for sure, probably Royce then someone who is exposed on practice squad who maybe raw but explosive, good hands and juice to break 2nd level with some speed.

Interesting wrinkle with Jeff Driskel. Any chance he makes it as the 3rd QB but is actually active on game days over Allen? They could have a package of plays for him…more or less a wild cat package.

I could see him as a Taysom Hill like option. Which would work for this team. Run-centric. Short on top shelf weapons. Gotta manufacture offense!

Mack for sure, probably Royce then someone who is exposed on practice squad who maybe raw but explosive, good hands and juice to break 2nd level with some speed.

Well, yeah, of course Mack. Rex wasn’t beating out Mack or Pierce anyway. And the fact the Freeman hasn’t seen a snap in this game yet, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s cut.

If they get someone after cuts, so be it, but Rex is making the initial cut.

If it’s the same part where you’re reminded that he hasn’t done it against NFL starters yet.

That said, impressed with his performance. Rivers too. Adios Mr. Blacklock.

Reading these game day threads, some people are only slightly impressed if the player makes a play against an NFL All Decade player.

Its preseason. We’re watching. Texans are playing well. No need to be eeyore. Everyone on this forum has been watching this team long enough to know there is plenty of time for the doom and gloom.

There are a lot of 49'ers fans who would take Mills over Lance right now. Y'all forget a QB in his second year still has a lot of fine tuning to do. You're also forgetting some of the crazy impressive throws Mills made under pressure last season.

I think the lack of perspective comes from this fanbase not having experience in evaluating a true franchise pocket QB obtained from the draft since David Carr. A scrambling QB like Watson hides his learning curve. A pocket passer's development is exposed to the world, and this fanbase does not know what it's supposed to look like from year to year. Compared to his peers, Mills is way ahead.

Reading these game day threads, some people are only slightly impressed if the player makes a play against an NFL All Decade player.

Its preseason. We’re watching. Texans are playing well. No need to be eeyore. Everyone on this forum has been watching this team long enough to know there is plenty of time for the doom and gloom.

Don’t disagree. But if you’re going to go through the motions of making reminders ...... it works both ways.

Yes it is preseason, and the only way these back of roster guys can be evaluated is against lesser talent, simply because starters just don’t play a lot in these games anymore. So it is what it is.

Hinish looked good regardless of the competition. Deserves to make the squad IMO, more so than Blacklock for sure.

I like the trifecta of QBs we have on the team between Mills, Driskell and Allen. Nice to know if one goes into a slump you have two others that can step up. I don't mind at all going thru the season with these three, and if Mills can't take the job maybe one of the other two will have enough time to prove that they can. And I might add I'm all about Mills, and hoping he can take this QB position by the throat and not look back.
I love this coaching staff and can definately see what a difference a "teaching & coaching" staff can do as opposed to a "coaching" staff as we've pretty much seen during the Kubiac and O'Brian regimes. The teachers are what we've been missing.
Looking forward to the season!

Last edited:
Don’t disagree. But if you’re going to go through the motions of making reminders ...... it works both ways.

Yes it is preseason, and the only way these back of roster guys can be evaluated is against lesser talent, simply because starters just don’t play a lot in these games anymore. So it is what it is.

Hinish looked good regardless of the competition. Deserves to make the squad IMO, more so than Blacklock for sure.

These gameday threads are gonna be really slow if its just football hipsters playing devils advocate anytime the Texans do something well… just sayin

Compared to past preseason Texans teams, this is the best coached one since I can remember.

I've learned never to read anything into preseason games. Including how well Damien Pierce looks. Regular season is always different.

Back