Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Pre-season...Game 3...Dallas Cowboys!

Not disagreeing but if somebody gets hurt the bitching and blaming will never end here.

It never ends as it is. The same cycle repeats on this MB..(insert HC/GM here) is an idiot & doesn't know what he's doing b/c he didn't make this move, didn't start this guy over this guy, didn't draft this player & almost every single time the same folks calling the HC/GM stupid get proven wrong. But by that time, they've moved on to the next "dumb" person.

Not from me

You've got to get the guys ready for the regular season or what we saw at the beginning of last yr happens.
Didn’t mean you. We and Baller see it the same way. Nice to just talk football for it’s own sake without wading through the blame first. Nobody is to blame for an injury and common sense shouldn’t be held hostage to that “probability”.

Yes I've seen teams do this as well. But they ar least run their starters out there for either a quarter or half. I watched the Seahawks game last night and Wilson played pretty much the entire 1st quarter . Mahomes played the entire 1st and a series in the 2nd. Jimmy G for the 49ers played the entire 1st half. This leads me to believe it all determines on how the coach feels about the readiness of his starters. Last year Brady played in all but one preseason game. That's because they had quite a few new starters on the offense.

But I'm with you, they might as well do away with preseason.
You can afford to play your firsts if there isn't much chance they will get hurt.

Man if people are so concerned about these players getting hurt. The NFL might as well switch to flag football.

Kinda my thoughts as well. I think coaches want to play guys more in the preseason but usually play it by how the game unfolds. For us the worst possible thing happened on the 2nd play of the game with Miller followed by another potentially horrific play with DW4 on the sack fumble. BoB went fetal after those 2 plays. Hard to blame him really & i'm inclined to believe that 99% of HC's would've pulled their starters under the same circumstances, but i still would've liked to have seen them play at least a quarter if for nothing else, to get them acclimated to how to adjust and rebound in real game situations.

Something positive:

J.J. Watt played all of two series, but it was enough to remind everyone just how dominant he is. Whether it was effortlessly swimming past a lineman or needing three guys to block him as a pass-rusher, Watt was unstoppable in his dress rehearsal.

Rookie Takeaways

Rookie defensive back Lonnie Johnson Jr. was in the headlines earlier this summer for being too physical in camp, and it’s clear that that part of his play carries over into games well. He broke up multiple passes and was constantly in tight coverage all night long against Dallas’ receivers.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pff-refocused-nfl-preseason-week-3-dallas-cowboys-34-houston-texans-0

I think I'm gonna make a cowboy game this year instead of a Texan game. Havent been there in a while

Smart ass ex son in law ( cowboy fan) just texted and offered to buy tickets for boss and me to go watch a game in Arlington this year. Turned him down. I won't even go to free Texan games anymore. Son gets tickets from suppliers. Been twice and that was two times too many.

Think I will focus on college ball this year.

:coffee:

A lifetime of hating Dallas. Just as Dallas hates Houston.
I don't think Dallas hates Houston as much as Houston hates Dallas. Texans/Dallas is every 4 years. The Cowboys have won superbowls so I don't get it. Cowboys and their fans hate the Redskins/Giants/Eagles who are in the division and all have won superbowls. Its almost like A billionaire hating on the homeless. just sayin

I don't think Dallas hates Houston as much as Houston hates Dallas. Texans/Dallas is every 4 years. The Cowboys have won superbowls so I don't get it. Cowboys and their fans hate the Redskins/Giants/Eagles who are in the division and all have won superbowls. Its almost like A billionaire hating on the homeless. just sayin

I have family that lives in Dallas and those jokers do hate the Texans and our fanbase. I will always remember walking into Sam's with my father and law. I had on my JJ Watt Jersey and within 2 seconds. Around three jokers step to me talking skit.

I have family that lives in Dallas and those jokers do hate the Texans and our fanbase. I will always remember walking into Sam's with my father and law. I had on my JJ Watt Jersey and within 2 seconds. Around three jokers step to me talking skit.
Was the skit worse than this forum?

Was the skit worse than this forum?

It wasn't harmful and neither is this forum. Just passionate fans agreeing and disagreeing at times.

But crazy thing one dude spotted me out from across the building and swiftly made his way to where me and my father and law were at. Just to talk skit. Bwhahaha

LMAO

You should have seen enough of him last yr to be able to predict that he would suck last night. Guy just isn't a NFL level player and he proves it every time he goes up against a quality DE.

I didn't think he sucked last night.

Not disagreeing but if somebody gets hurt the bitching and blaming will never end here.

No.

Starters play into the third quarter of the third preseason game. That's the way it's been for decades.

It's not about not playing starters so they don't get hurt. It's about not playing them when you got idiots out there going all out to win a roster spot. People who don't know they don't know what they don't know. Playing like wild men with no control.

Smart ass ex son in law ( cowboy fan) just texted and offered to buy tickets for boss and me to go watch a game in Arlington this year. Turned him down. I won't even go to free Texan games anymore. Son gets tickets from suppliers. Been twice and that was two times too many.

I feel yeah, man I went to colts games for years due to peyton and luck. Still bummed about that. I enjoy watching qbs

You are either blind or seeing what you want to see.

Or you're just being contrarian.

Not being contrarian. Don't think I'm blind. I didn't see any major gaffes, whiffs, boneheadedness from him last night.

I never thought he was going to be an All-Pro. But there's a big gap between All-Pro & Matt Kalil & I think Davenport is in that gap.

He showed enough athleticism to play against Taco Charlton last night. I don't know if he's got the mental stamina to play well beyond six snaps. That's all I can say about last night.

Just watching the first series with Watson - and I'll probably get killed on this forum the way people have been behaving lately - or at the very least be called a BOB defender (which I'm not because I believe we should be looking for a new coach - BoB can't see/define/start talent over 'his' guys)

BUT - I still see the first Texans play as a failing on Watson - he has to read the defense/situation better, make a decision and throw the ball - he spends way too much time looking for the big play instead of taking what is given to him (Brady is the master at this, going to only give me short throws, well then I'll dink and dunk you to death, etc. etc.)

First play from scrimmage...

#1 Just before the snap - the clock is at 14:04, DHop lined up the bottom of the screen.

Presnap - DHop.png

#2 Watson just reaches the top of his drop back (just planted his back foot). DHop is obviously his first read (looking right at him) CB on DHop isn't even on the screen (DHop is wide open) ball should be leaving Watson's hand, but it doesn't. Protection is fine.

2 - Dhop Open - Watson just hit the end of his drop back.png

#3 DHop is now completely behind the LB & Safety(?) could be another LB can't quite tell - but can't go to DHop now. Watson moves to his second read #17 who is currently engaged in defending the damn CB (get some separation #17 or go back to peewee ball), however the check down to Miller is open, he could catch and fall down for a 5 yard gain LB is still 7 yards away from him. I get it we all hate the check down, but sometimes it IS the best option. This is about 2.5 seconds in and the protection? Still GOOD. But you can see it is about to get worse as both the LT and RT (Davenport and Henderson are losing their man now)

3 - DHop directly behind LB - Miller open for 5 yards on check down - still a clean pocket.png

#4 Now, at 4 seconds after the snap, Watson is out of options and decides to pull it down and run. Dallas D is too fast for that and he is sacked. I ask you is that sack on the Oline or on Watson? Take the check-down - second and 5, second and 6 is more manageable than second and 14 (which is what it would have been without the Dallas penalty).

4 - 4 seconds to throw - decides not too.png

Overall on the play - we got away with it since there was a penalty on Dallas and we got an automatic 1st down - but the points still stand.

Bottom line for me - I love Watson, think he can be a top 5 QB in the league for a long time - but when they say some of the sacks are on him, it isn't always just coach BS speak.

Last edited:
No.

Starters play into the third quarter of the third preseason game. That's the way it's been for decades.

It's not about not playing starters so they don't get hurt. It's about not playing them when you got idiots out there going all out to win a roster spot. People who don't know they don't know what they don't know. Playing like wild men with no control.
Huh? Wait, what? Am I missing something? ..... someone is an idiot for trying to make a football team? Exactly what should they do? Not playing gets you cut. Playing with no control gets you cut. Not playing hard gets you cut. Playing starters in preseason causes bitching, not playing them causes bitching...and bitching basically renders all discussion useless in any endeavor. BTW, I am on the record for playing starters into the third qtr of the third game. Don’t know why I got pulled into this one.

Not being contrarian. Don't think I'm blind. I didn't see any major gaffes, whiffs, boneheadedness from him last night.

I never thought he was going to be an All-Pro. But there's a big gap between All-Pro & Matt Kalil & I think Davenport is in that gap.

He showed enough athleticism to play against Taco Charlton last night. I don't know if he's got the mental stamina to play well beyond six snaps. That's all I can say about last night.

You do realize Charlton is avg at best.

Keep an eye out for olinemen and Corners for us.

So...I finally post again after a few weeks missing and the Texans play as they did in our expansion years when our line was hot Carrbage. Sweet.
Man where the heck have you been? Welcome back. Looking forward to our back and forth. It's been more than a few weeks or did I miss something?

Just watching the first series with Watson - and I'll probably get killed on this forum the way people have been behaving lately - or at the very least be called a BOB defender (which I'm not because I believe we should be looking for a new coach - BoB can't see/define/start talent over 'his' guys)

BUT - I still see the first Texans play as a failing on Watson - he has to read the defense/situation better, make a decision and throw the ball - he spends way too much time looking for the big play instead of taking what is given to him (Brady is the master at this, going to only give me short throws, well then I'll dink and dunk you to death, etc. etc.)

First play from scrimmage...

#1 Just before the snap - the clock is at 14:04, DHop lined up the bottom of the screen.

#2 Watson just reaches the top of his drop back (just planted his back foot). DHop is obviously his first read (looking right at him) CB on DHop isn't even on the screen (DHop is wide open) ball should be leaving Watson's hand, but it doesn't. Protection is fine.

#3 DHop is now completely behind the LB & Safety(?) could be another LB can't quite tell - but can't go to DHop now. Watson moves to his second read #17 who is currently engaged in defending the damn CB (get some separation #17 or go back to peewee ball), however the check down to Miller is open, he could catch and fall down for a 5 yard gain LB is still 7 yards away from him. I get it we all hate the check down, but sometimes it IS the best option. This is about 2.5 seconds in and the protection? Still GOOD. But you can see it is about to get worse as both the LT and RT (Davenport and Henderson are losing their man now)

#4 Now, at 4 seconds after the snap, Watson is out of options and decides to pull it down and run. Dallas D is too fast for that and he is sacked. I ask you is that sack on the Oline or on Watson? Take the check-down - second and 5, second and 6 is more manageable than second and 14 (which is what it would have been without the Dallas penalty).

Overall on the play - we got away with it since there was a penalty on Dallas and we got an automatic 1st down - but the points still stand.

Bottom line for me - I love Watson, think he can be a top 5 QB in the league for a long time - but when they say some of the sacks are on him, it isn't always just coach BS speak.
I hope Coutee stays healthy - he will have that quick outlet.
Nothing wrong with a dink and dunk if it gets you a first down. Looks like the TEs will get some action this season.

This may sound weird but even in the regular season I judge the team more by how they play vs the results.

Like last year...the texans reeled off a bunch of wins to get into the playoffs but I never felt like they were playing well and eventually it culminated in a thrashing.

I couldn't care less about pre season game scores but I want to see a well coached team and a team that appears to be gelling.

I personally didnt get that impression tonight.
Houston is one of the best football cities in the country with sophisticated fan base. It is a curse that we have had NFL teams that are on par with Detroit in being the least successful team in the league sharing a state with a team up north that is an NFL blue blood with 5 Super Bowl trophies.

We could see with our own eyes that that team last year was extremely lucky with both the schedule and turnover differential and that it was not going to do jack **** in the playoffs despite winning 11 games. This team had a terrible draft and free agency and didn’t fill glaring holes. We are the laughingstock of the NFL with a drunk, moron of an owner that Steelb nailed by naming him Cletus. I have never seen this city as pissed off, disinterested and ready to revolt against this garbage team that unfortunately plays in our town. It’s pathetic that what I am hoping for a midseason firing of buttchin because there is no hope we will do any damage in the playoffs if we are able to squeak in. Houston needs to show what we really think of this franchise by booing the **** out of them when they suck at home, not buying tickets and merch and burning up the phone lines, sports talk, social media, etc tearing Cletus and buttchin a new asshole every day.

Houston is one of the best football cities in the country with sophisticated fan base. It is a curse that we have had NFL teams that are on par with Detroit in being the least successful team in the league sharing a state with a team up north that is an NFL blue blood with 5 Super Bowl trophies.

We could see with our own eyes that that team last year was extremely lucky with both the schedule and turnover differential and that it was not going to do jack **** in the playoffs despite winning 11 games. This team had a terrible draft and free agency and didn’t fill glaring holes. We are the laughingstock of the NFL with a drunk, moron of an owner that Steelb nailed by naming him Cletus. I have never seen this city as pissed off, disinterested and ready to revolt against this garbage team that unfortunately plays in our town. It’s pathetic that what I am hoping for a midseason firing of buttchin because there is no hope we will do any damage in the playoffs if we are able to squeak in. Houston needs to show what we really think of this franchise by booing the **** out of them when they suck at home, not buying tickets and merch and burning up the phone lines, sports talk, social media, etc tearing Cletus and buttchin a new asshole every day.
I concur

Like I said, haven't seen enough of Davenport to see if he's improved as much as I hoped. He played 6 snaps & wasn't horrible. Anyone watching that game saying they've seen enough to know he can't play is not being objective. Is not basing that decision on last night's game.

McClain was just on the radio and said he thinks they started him to see if he had improved because it was between him and RJ for the swing tackle position.

He thinks he's a potential cut.

A lifetime of hating Dallas. Just as Dallas hates Houston.

McClain was just on the radio and said he thinks they started him to see if he had improved because it was between him and RJ for the swing tackle position.

He thinks he's a potential cut.

Do they not have the ability to evaluate in practice?

More like a washed up billionaire who is just as homeless as we are. Keeps telling the stories of how he was king of the world but lost it all.

Do they not have the ability to evaluate in practice?

More ineptitude if true.

OB said post game he thought the team was shook from the Miller injury and that's why they played so bad.

Nevermind that they didnt look good in the plays before his injury either.

I think he was projecting because he was the one who was shook after the injury because he realized that his foolishness got his starting rb hurt likely for the season.

Back