Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Post Draft Power Rankings (They did us dirty)

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
So what made us drop from 3rd worst to the worst?
The last coach we had was a first time, inexperienced HC.
And we kept the best FAs from last year and added more with upside this year.
Plus our QB clearly demonstrated he is no monkey.
So again, why should we be ranked worst?
Btw, my comment about rookies was based on the fact that all teams added rookies.
OK, I guess I actually had to click on the dumbass article. First of all, it’s someone’s dumbass rankings that mean nothing, and secondly, why do you, or anyone for that matter, care what those dumbass rankings are?

And FWIW, I never thought the Texans would be THE worst last year, nor do I think they will be this year. Then again, what does it really matter if you’re 1st worse, 3rd worse or 6th worse? It’s all bottom of the barrel and not good, which was the premise I was working off of here.

So my apologies, I guess, for not reading a rankings article, which I usually never do because who cares, that had the Texans dead last. Would you feel better if they ranked us 27th?

Texansballer74

The Marine
OK, I guess I actually had to click on the dumbass article. First of all, it’s someone’s dumbass rankings that mean nothing, and secondly, why do you, or anyone for that matter, care what those dumbass rankings are?

And FWIW, I never thought the Texans would be THE worst last year, nor do I think they will be this year. Then again, what does it really matter if you’re 1st worse, 3rd worse or 6th worse? It’s all bottom of the barrel and not good, which was the premise I was working off of here.

So my apologies, I guess, for not reading a rankings article, which I usually never do because who cares, that had the Texans dead last. Would you feel better if they ranked us 27th?
Why does it have to be labeled as a dumbass article and rankings. You don’t agree so be it. You believe we’re a trash team, more power to you. I understand they have to prove it on the field of play. But guess what I’ve seen teams draft well and the team got way better that season.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Why does it have to be labeled as a dumbass article and rankings. You don’t agree so be it. You believe we’re a trash team, more power to you. I understand they have to prove it on the field of play. But guess what I’ve seen teams draft well and the team got way better that season.
Because they mean nothing, everybody has a ranking, and people end up having a cow if that person's opinion doesn't line up with theirs. If you want to talk about that shit on a message board, that's one thing and are what MBs are for. But to put out freaking articles on it? I mean you don't get much more top notch journalism than that. Half of these people or better, have their biases and agendas or haven't seen the Texans play one single freaking game the last 2 years or more. I personally don't waste my time with that garbage.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Because they mean nothing, everybody has a ranking, and people end up having a cow if that person's opinion doesn't line up with theirs. If you want to talk about that shit on a message board, that's one thing and are what MBs are for. But to put out freaking articles on it? I mean you don't get much more top notch journalism than that. Half of these people or better, have their biases and agendas or haven't seen the Texans play one single freaking game the last 2 years or more. I personally don't waste my time with that garbage.
Of course it doesn’t but the media heads, sports writers and several fans across the globe love to predict these type of things. Those journalists are tasked to do this and are paid for it.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Saw this article and thought it would be interesting to see how you feel. Are you in agreement with the author, close or different league all together?

Personally I think we should be in the late 20's. We didn't become SB contenders in one draft. However, I would like to think that we have pieces in place to finish with say 6-7 wins. And someone is going to be in that 5 and below area. So, if I have to pick...27th. That's my ranking for 2022.

Last season the Texans not only had a terrible record (4-13) but they we not even competitive in most games. They were outscored 452 to 280.

Besides their wins they only had 3 one score games.
Jets 21-14
Patriots 25-22
Titans 28-25

All other games they lost by 2 or more scores. In 5 games they looked like children playing men.
Bills - Loss - Score 40-0
Colts - Loss - Score 31-0
Colts - Loss - Score 31-3
Cardinals - Loss - Score 31-5
Seahawks - Loss - Score 33-13

For anybody to expect one draft to turn this team into a winner they are really living a pipe dream.

Having said that I'm still optimistic about the direction Caserio & our coaching staff seem to be taking the Texans. I don't expect a lot more wins but I do hope to see us still in the game in the fourth quarter more often than not. If that happens I would consider this season to be a huge step in the right direction.
So the Texans will have the 1st and 16th picks in next year's draft. The question is will they draft Bryce Young or C.J. Stroud?

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

I hope Texans make them eat their words.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Unfortunately they’ll have to use up a lot of the Browns premium picks to trade up for Mayer. The Texans will not be having premium picks because they will not suck. :)
I think Mayer would be worth trading #16 a 2nd and a 3rd. (They have two 3rds. Of course I think Mayer's the next Gronk type TE.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Of course it doesn’t but the media heads, sports writers and several fans across the globe love to predict these type of things. Those journalists are tasked to do this and are paid for it.
Paid or not, it still doesn't mean anything. Steven A Smith makes a bazillion dollars and he doesn't know jack shit about half of what he spews, if that much. I'd honestly take your opinion over his 8 days a week.

banned1976

sleeper mode
The person who wrote the article didn't like the Texas draft at all. I didn't like it much, either. I thought it was average - not terrible, not great.

I don't think the Texans will have the worst record in 2022 but they may. All it takes for a team basically starting over is a few bad breaks here and there.

I feel like the Texans' floor is 2 wins and their ceiling is 7 wins. For those who want to say, "no way they only win 2 games", let me point you to the 2013 season. That said, that could happen to any team. And if it does happen to another team in 2022, the Texans won't be the worst team in the league.

I don't feel like the author of that article "did us dirty". The writer got paid to write an article listing his subjective rankings. Some team had to be #1 and another team had to be #32.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The person who wrote the article didn't like the Texas draft at all. I didn't like it much, either. I thought it was average - not terrible, not great.

I don't think the Texans will have the worst record in 2022 but they may. All it takes for a team basically starting over is a few bad breaks here and there.

I feel like the Texans' floor is 2 wins and their ceiling is 7 wins. For those who want to say, "no way they only win 2 games", let me point you to the 2013 season. That said, that could happen to any team. And if it does happen to another team in 2022, the Texans won't be the worst team in the league.

I don't feel like the author of that article "did us dirty". The writer got paid to write an article listing his subjective rankings. Some team had to be #1 and another team had to be #32.
What do you not like about their draft?

Added much needed speed to the back 7. Stingley, Petrie, Harris

Also added the best IOL in the draft and a highly thought of RB.

More importantly what would you have done differently?

ArmyBengal

Retired Army Medical NCO
It's simply too hard to figure out at this point.
There is no way to determine if the new coaches are going to be the answer.
There is no way to determine if the new players are going to be any good.
There is no way to determine if the team, or any team, is going to stay healthy.

What if the worse teams on the schedule get better production from their draft picks or their players from last year make a bigger jump this year ?? You guys play Jacksonville twice and I think most at this point would be including them in the possible two wins for 2022, correct ??

Well, what if Lawrence hits his stride THIS season? Then getting Etienne back at RB, who was injured last year is a monster? Then their 3 defensive rookies added to their front 7 have massive seasons? Quickly that is a team that only won 3 games last season to a team that puts together an above .500 season. While that might be unlikely, it's not like you can rule it out either.

The Texans are no different and their draft was solid and balanced. Adding Lovie and having Mills heading into his 2nd season could have huge payoffs for the team.

banned1976

sleeper mode
The Texans are no different and their draft was solid and balanced. Adding Lovie and having Mills heading into his 2nd season could have huge payoffs for the team.
I agree with the balanced part. The solid part is tough to feel too optimistic about seeing as two of their highest picks are red-flag injury concerns. However, if those concerns become unwarranted worries (on my part, anyway), the Texans may wind up with the best draft class out of the entire draft.

I'd be very happy if the Texans go into next years draft with just a couple of position groups needing an upgrade.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I agree with the balanced part. The solid part is tough to feel too optimistic about seeing as two of their highest picks are red-flag injury concerns. However, if those concerns become unwarranted worries (on my part, anyway), the Texans may wind up with the best draft class out of the entire draft.

I'd be very happy if the Texans go into next years draft with just a couple of position groups needing an upgrade.
Yep, if they hit on Stingley/Metchie I think they will have the best draft class in the Calhoun's history.

If they hit on this yrs class

They just need to find a TE/Edge/OG and maybe another CB in next yrs draft.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Yep, if they hit on Stingley/Metchie I think they will have the best draft class in the Calhoun's history.

Just based on what I see now, and not what I'll be seeing at this seasons end, I'd say (predict) they'll need to draft OL and DL with next years 1st round picks.

But I imagine this season will expose what they'll really need next draft. Hopefully we don't have to worry about drafting a QB in the 1st round, that will absolutely change the way we view the draft if that is the case next year.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Why are we doing this again? There’s little separating the bottom teams from each other. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Texans finished 10th worst any more than if they finished dead last in the league. Injuries, schedule anomalies, luck will determine who is the worst of the worst.

What should be obvious is that the Texans are still a bad team. They will lose. A lot. At least in 2022, they can lose with a purpose. Watching their 1-1/2 drafts full of young players develop. That should be enough for realistic fans. Still about the process, people.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

I’d add OC- Ricky Stromberg (Arkansas) to that list…..especially if he justifies his return for the 2022 Razorback season instead of staying in this draft. If bumps himself up to a RD2 or a RD3 prospect, it’d be a no-brainer in making this investment. Texans will need a Center next season….either to start or groom for the 2024 season.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
DL is the biggest need next year. No true edge, and in Lovies D, it's pressure from the DL. OL maybe to fill everything out. Maybe 2nd round or so. RB might be a need if Pierce is not as good as he looks. WR is another huge need. Cooks is getting older we need a stud WR1. DB in the 2nd or 3rd too. Just seeing we have a drop off from our draft picks to the rest. Kinda crazy when you have rookies who should be better than your year before starting guys..

OptimisticTexan

DL is the biggest need next year. No true edge, and in Lovies D, it's pressure from the DL. OL maybe to fill everything out. Maybe 2nd round or so. RB might be a need if Pierce is not as good as he looks. WR is another huge need. Cooks is getting older we need a stud WR1. DB in the 2nd or 3rd too. Just seeing we have a drop off from our draft picks to the rest. Kinda crazy when you have rookies who should be better than your year before starting guys..
Texans should be able to fill some major needs via FA since their cap situation will be healthier.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Texans should be able to fill some major needs via FA since their cap situation will be healthier.
That's true also. Seeing it has been said that for all the young players you can get your still going to need some good proven veterans to really make everything work

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Fans have to be objective and understand that a 4 win team, with the lack of talent like the Texans, is not going to change things in one year, or even two. This is a 4-5 year rebuild.

I'm not saying they can't be competitive and even win more games than expected, but to be a playoff team - especially in the QB loaded AFC right now - is going to take a LOT more talent than the Texans have in the 2022 season.

First things first, the 2022 season has to be about analyzing Davis Mills to see if he's a viable option for 2023 and beyond. If not, then it's obvious what needs to be done. I just hope he's not a QB like Cousins that shows enough promise to justify keeping him but has a ceiling that is only high enough to get the team to the playoffs.
☝
This pretty much sums it up for me as well.
As it pertains to the draft, Texans helped themselves a lot more than they are being giving credit for. This is what still haunts the Texans and why they still are considered last in the league, is lack of talent overall and inability to land big time street free agents to improve.

It’s very sobering and it’s going to take at least two maybe three more excellent drafts, then start sprinkling in some priority free agents, continuity with coaching tree and hitting on Mills while on his rookie contract, Texans could compete again.

Don’t let this or other articles discourage you. It’s a football process we can embrace once again and feel good about direction Texans are headed.

:koolaid:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Fans have to be objective and understand that a 4 win team, with the lack of talent like the Texans, is not going to change things in one year, or even two. This is a 4-5 year rebuild.

I'm not saying they can't be competitive and even win more games than expected, but to be a playoff team - especially in the QB loaded AFC right now - is going to take a LOT more talent than the Texans have in the 2022 season.

First things first, the 2022 season has to be about analyzing Davis Mills to see if he's a viable option for 2023 and beyond. If not, then it's obvious what needs to be done. I just hope he's not a QB like Cousins that shows enough promise to justify keeping him but has a ceiling that is only high enough to get the team to the playoffs.
I'll take making the playoffs in the next two years.
In the meantime, Texans keep improving their roster.
Next off-season, Texans have a bunch of cap - I can see Carstereo bringing in some key players.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This is a 4-5 year rebuild.
It’s very sobering
What are we talking about? 4-5 years before we can dream of being.500 or until we’re true Super Bowl contenders?

I think most of us koolaid aficionados understand where the team is at & are hoping for 8/9 wins in the near future.

If you’re saying 4/5 years before we’re not the worst team in the league, it’s time to replace all of them. From the water boy to the GM & EVP of football operations.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
They haven’t even started camp. how can we know this?

Lovie was saying it’s the 3 tech that makes it all work
Name a star DL player on the Texans...we can't. We have some decent ones but nobody you have to game plan for. Greenard showed some ability but still not amazing. We need some who gets double digit sacks, bats some passes and then we can say that we have a great DLman. Not a JJ maybe but say top 10 maybe 15 DEs. With 32 teams each running 2 DEs that's middle of the group at worst

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Name a star DL player on the Texans...we can't. We have some decent ones but nobody you have to game plan for. Greenard showed some ability but still not amazing. We need some who gets double digit sacks, bats some passes and then we can say that we have a great DLman. Not a JJ maybe but say top 10 maybe 15 DEs. With 32 teams each running 2 DEs that's middle of the group at worst
Like I said, we haven’t got to training camp. Final cuts, much less the regular season & the trade deadline.

What you say about our DL is just as true for every other position on this team. We don’t know how the DBs will turn out, or the WRs.

Or the OL.

The Texans were among the worse run stopping teams in the league last two seasons & they didn’t address it in FA or the draft.

No way to tell what our biggest need will be April 2023

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Well the Bills sack leader from last season had 7 sacks (now a Texan Mario Addison). They had the league’s top rated pass defense.

The Eagles won a Super Bowl without a 10+ sack player on a defense that had a deep DL that got consistent pressure.

The 10+ sacks are great but the goal is to get pressure that forces bad decisions and ultimately stops the offense from scoring. The Texans have improved their chances in stopping offenses from scoring with their moves this offseason.

OptimisticTexan

I've got a feeling that Lovie is assembling a good DL that will be the sum of all his pieces and not the sum of relying on one superstar piece.....but camp will be here soon enough and we'll finally get some eyes on how these moves will work out.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG

Yes 27 would be better. We read them for talking points. I don’t think anyone gets worked up over it

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
We likely have a QB. For the foreseeable future the staff feel that is true.
There is a chance he may regress due to more tape on him now plus a hard schedule, but, and there is always a but, he will be getting more help on his line and his running game.
I am waiting to see how the new coaching regime works for him but I feel it is a positive.
His poise and demeanor is also what you want to see.

MeatBear77

Rookie
There is a chance he may regress due to more tape on him now plus a hard schedule, but, and there is always a but, he will be getting more help on his line and his running game.
I am waiting to see how the new coaching regime works for him but I feel it is a positive.
Lovie loves game managers boyo but mills isn't gonna elevate any1 around him

Texansballer74

The Marine
Pep has a nice history of getting the best out his quarterbacks. I believe Pep was handed the play calling duties during the last 5 games. Thus the reason why he was promoted to OC going forward.
Time will tell for sure.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Lovie loves game managers boyo but mills isn't gonna elevate any1 around him
That was a direct quote from a youtube video about Mills. Created by a guy with 100 subs who looked like he knew about as much about football as my dog. And I am correct in saying that after hering him say "safety blitz" and it was not a Safety anything. They where hanging out in the middle of the field playing 2 high. Blitz came from a LB who Mills shuffled away from and completed a pass to Cooks.