Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Post Draft 53 Man Roster Prediction

Texans have 11 rookies currently on active roster. 8 drafted and 3 UDFA.
This number will continue to grow as the roster is reconstructed. Hopefully more difference makers will be found in the next 2 drafts.

Right now, I think Green/Pitre/Pierce are difference makers in this draft and with health I think Stingley/Harris/Metchie can be difference makers if they can get/stay healthy.

Last edited:
I am surprised Neville Hewitt is still here, dude seemed to get tackles downfield and lost in coverage. I suspect he is close to the bubble as they work the wire and look at other teams PS. Lovie said if you made the 53 you earned it, so, why this dude..

Aaron Wilson mentioned on this podcast that Teagan Quitoriano is going to short term IR. Leaving Texans with two TEs on active roster. Expect Texans to add a TE today.

I'd hope that answer comes in the form of OJ Howard. He was never going to be TE1 in Buffalo unless injuries hit the Bills hard. Since his rookie campaign, Howard has been injured and out for the season at some point each and every year since. He's an accomplished blocking TE who's receiving numbers were hampered by injuries and the Brady to Gronk reunion in TB. He signed a 1 year deal with the Bills for 3M+ pretty much knowing he was going to be second fiddle. I think the Texans would offer him a very good chance for a rebound success season since Pep would probably like to utilize the TE's more and the team currently doesn't have a locked in TE1.

Another guy I'd like to see.....RB, Kenyan Drake (Raiders, Cardinals, and Dolphins). Like OJ Howard....has been hampered by injuries each and every year, but he's been a productive runner when he's gotten his chances. He'd be a cheap RB to give a tryout to. This would be another low investment with a potential decent return.

Another guy I'd like to see.....RB, Kenyan Drake (Raiders, Cardinals, and Dolphins). Like OJ Howard....has been hampered by injuries each and every year, but he's been a productive runner when he's gotten his chances. He'd be a cheap RB to give a tryout to. This would be another low investment with a potential decent return.
Pretty sure CNDD mentioned Drake has had a lot of ankle injuries and his time may be done. Tryout's are cheap though. I want them to bring in a younger back who may just need some coaching rather then a declining one

Reactions: JB
Bringing in Drake would be akin to bringing in David Johnson... his best days are behind him. Get someone young without the injury history

I'd sure like to see Caserio make a trade to obtain the services of Jets WR, Denzel Mims. For some crazy reason he's been relegated to the Jets doghouse. He's a backup and it looks like they want to keep him around as a security blanket, but not as a starter. They didn't get any offers they liked so he's stuck in their system for now. I pulled a little snippet from a ESPN interview and just wanted to share b/c I don't get the feeling there's any quit in this guy:

"Of course I'm going to be frustrated that I'm not playing with the starters, but I've got to continue to work," he said.
Mims played some special teams in the preseason, although they're not his forte.
"I have no problem playing special teams, I don't at all, but I feel like I'm a starting receiver," he said.

I have no idea of what the Jets were hoping for in offers, but would a conditional RD3 be too rich? He was a mid RD2 selection (#59) and as it turned out....he just wasn't their bell-cow. This was also made obvious by continued use of draft picks WR's. Mims 2021 season was marred with some minor injuries; August- PS Hip Stain, October- WK8 Finger Injury, and January- WK17 Concussion. Mims might be a guy worth taking a flyer on since RD3 or RD4 may not produce a WR of his caliber.

Denzel Mims
Denzel Mims

Baylor / WR

Round 2 ‧ Pick 27

Prospect Info
HOMETOWN: Daingerfield, TX
CLASS: Senior
HEIGHT: 6' 3"
WEIGHT: 207 lbs
ARMS: 33 7/8"
HANDS: 9 3/8"

Prospect Grade
6.33 / Will Eventually Be Plus Starter

Combine Results
40 Yard Dash: 4.38
Bench Press: 16
Vertical Jump: 38.5
Broad Jump: 131
3 Cone Drill: 6.66
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.43
60 Yard Shuttle: --

I'd take a flyer on this guy...was interested to see what was gonna happen w/ him right before final cuts with his discontent being broadcasted everywhere...with our WR room what could it hurt...but I do like the addition of Johnson from the bucs...hopefully we keep making moves and hopefully get some good additions.

a 3rd? No way, guys in dog houses taking roster spots are a 5th or below. GMs and coaches are waiting for any offer. Texans unlikely to go for Mims. They want guys who just love football and team, team. His moaning wont work for the Texans FO. His talent may be above what is offered, but his VALUE is not

His talent may be above what is offered, but his VALUE is not
No way a 3rd. And without going thru camp with the Texans, I don't know how much value he would have this season. It hasn't happened with the Jets for whatever reason. Pass completion % targeting Mims is 46%. That's horrible. Blacklock exemplifies the value of a talented young player that hasn't yet put it together. A 6th round pick.

Reactions: JB
I'd sure like to see Caserio make a trade to obtain the services of Jets WR, Denzel Mims. For some crazy reason he's been relegated to the Jets doghouse. He's a backup and it looks like they want to keep him around as a security blanket, but not as a starter. They didn't get any offers they liked so he's stuck in their system for now. I pulled a little snippet from a ESPN interview and just wanted to share b/c I don't get the feeling there's any quit in this guy:

"Of course I'm going to be frustrated that I'm not playing with the starters, but I've got to continue to work," he said.
Mims played some special teams in the preseason, although they're not his forte.
"I have no problem playing special teams, I don't at all, but I feel like I'm a starting receiver," he said.

I have no idea of what the Jets were hoping for in offers, but would a conditional RD3 be too rich? He was a mid RD2 selection (#59) and as it turned out....he just wasn't their bell-cow. This was also made obvious by continued use of draft picks WR's. Mims 2021 season was marred with some minor injuries; August- PS Hip Stain, October- WK8 Finger Injury, and January- WK17 Concussion. Mims might be a guy worth taking a flyer on since RD3 or RD4 may not produce a WR of his caliber.

Denzel Mims
Denzel Mims

Baylor / WR

Round 2 ‧ Pick 27

Prospect Info
HOMETOWN: Daingerfield, TX
CLASS: Senior
HEIGHT: 6' 3"
WEIGHT: 207 lbs
ARMS: 33 7/8"
HANDS: 9 3/8"

Prospect Grade
6.33 / Will Eventually Be Plus Starter

Combine Results
40 Yard Dash: 4.38
Bench Press: 16
Vertical Jump: 38.5
Broad Jump: 131
3 Cone Drill: 6.66
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.43
60 Yard Shuttle: --
I read they were asking for a 4th for Mims. I wouldn't do that. I probably would off a 5th and then a 6th for the NYJ 7th.

I don’t think we will be seeing any more changes to the active roster barring injury opening day.

Units I feel best about:

1) Defensive line - The “lunch pail” crew. This unit has a quality rotation of pass rushers. I expect this to be the strongest unit on the team and I think they will be providing consistent pressure all game long.

Last season the defense faded in the second half and the leaks started to spring throughout the unit. Depth has been improved tremendously on the line. Every player that has made this roster has a high motor play with your hair on fire style that I love seeing in DL.

2) Offensive line - I truly believe the addition of Warhop as coach and change in philosophy to a “smash mouth” style running team will be the biggest improvement they could have made this offseason. Then add in moving Howard full time to his best position RT, adding the perfect interior OL for this system (Green) and adding a starting caliber RG (Cann) along with getting back Tunsil.

This unit will be the strength of the offense and I expect them to control the line of scrimmage more often than not this season. Pretty excited that the two position groups I feel best about are both lines. Build the trenches first when you build a team and I like the looks of these units!

3) Secondary - Lovie said the CB play wasn’t good enough before the draft. They tried to trade for Bradberry and it didn’t work out. So they signed Steven Nelson. Then they drafted Stingley #3 overall and regardless how you feel about getting him instead of Gardner you have to acknowledge he is this team’s most talented CB since Jo Jo.

THEN they drafted Jalen Pitre who has reminded me of DeMeco Ryans ever since he has put on a Texans uniform. Not a LB but just a highly productive and intelligent football player who I expect to be in the running for DROY as well as stepping into the role as defensive captain alongside Jerry Hughes. Desmond King is now at his best position nickel corner and when Tavierre Thomas gets back from injury they will have another quality CB to add to the mix.

I am intrigued about seeing Johnathan Owens as a starter this season. His measurables are elite and he has come a long way from a raw UDFA making the PS based on potential to now being a productive player on the field when healthy like he showed against the Chargers. I hope he stays healthy and forms a quality safety duo with Pitre.

Base 4-3 D

Special Teams

Last edited:
1) Defensive line - The “lunch pail” crew. This unit has a quality rotation of pass rushers. I expect this to be the strongest unit on the team and I think they will be providing consistent pressure all game long.
I'm not there yet. I am optimistic they'll be better than last years bunch, but I'm not sold on the 4 man rush thing.

Sure, it's great if you can do it, but how many teams have been able to do it in recent years? This is a passing league & they've made it too easy for a QB to get the ball out of his hands.

Last year Lovie was reluctant to blitz. Was that him being true to his perceived reluctance to change?

I'm hoping it was a talent issue & he's added enough this offseason to blitz more often. Timely blitzing to support his 4 man rush

I'm not there yet. I am optimistic they'll be better than last years bunch, but I'm not sold on the 4 man rush thing.

Sure, it's great if you can do it, but how many teams have been able to do it in recent years? This is a passing league & they've made it too easy for a QB to get the ball out of his hands.

Last year Lovie was reluctant to blitz. Was that him being true to his perceived reluctance to change?

I'm hoping it was a talent issue & he's added enough this offseason to blitz more often. Timely blitzing to support his 4 man rush

Fair enough. I think improved talent on the back end along with addition of Pitre and Harris as quality blitzers will help the pass rush. Four man rush specifically will be improved by talent upgrade at both DL and secondary. Better rushers and QBs waiting longer for open targets.

Back