• Garrett Wilson WR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ahmed Gardner CB

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Most will agree this is a prime draft to trade back and there is plenty of discussion on that topic in other threads - but just for the heck of it, if Texans do find themselves selecting at #3, who do you want to see taken?
There are some national pundits who suggest Texans might take the best QB available but I left that option out as there are a few to consider there and personally, I really don't see that happening - Caserio will likely use one of his next picks on one if he does as most of the top 5 or six are pretty even.
If you think it is someone else at #3, please post up his name.

Ojabo was born in Nigeria and moved to Aberdeen in Scotland with his family in 2007 when he was seven.[1][2][3]

He then moved to the United States, aged 17, and attended Blair Academy in Blairstown, New Jersey.[4][5]

He initially played basketball but then started American football. He received 35 college scholarship offers.[3]

Ojabo committed to the University of Michigan to play college football[6] in part because the Michigan weather was similar to Scotland and made him feel at home.[3]

College career
Ojabo did not play his first year at Michigan in 2019. As a sophomore in 2020, he played in six games and made one tackle. Ojabo took over as a starter in 2021.[7][8] On January 4, 2022, he announced he was leaving college and entering the NFL draft.[9]
With new HC Lovie Smith now fully in charge of the defense you can bet he will have much more input on the upcoming NFL Draft than what would have been the case if somebody else like David Culley or Josh McGown was the Texans coach, so I'm expecting him to "pound the table" for a stud edge rusher for his defense like the Ojabo kid out of Michigan.
This would involve Caserio moving back in the first round of the Draft to secure additional picks, which is just his style, because as great a prospect as Ojabo may be he's also too risky to go all-in on with the #3 overall pick in the 2022 Draft.

Ojabo was born in Nigeria and moved to Aberdeen in Scotland with his family in 2007 when he was seven.[1][2][3]

He then moved to the United States, aged 17, and attended Blair Academy in Blairstown, New Jersey.[4][5]

He initially played basketball but then started American football. He received 35 college scholarship offers.[3]

Ojabo committed to the University of Michigan to play college football[6] in part because the Michigan weather was similar to Scotland and made him feel at home.[3]

College career
Ojabo did not play his first year at Michigan in 2019. As a sophomore in 2020, he played in six games and made one tackle. Ojabo took over as a starter in 2021.[7][8] On January 4, 2022, he announced he was leaving college and entering the NFL draft.[9]
With new HC Lovie Smith now fully in charge of the defense you can bet he will have much more input on the upcoming NFL Draft than what would have been the case if somebody else like David Culley or Josh McGown was the Texans coach, so I'm expecting him to "pound the table" for a stud edge rusher for his defense like the Ojabo kid out of Michigan.
This would involve Caserio moving back in the first round of the Draft to secure additional picks, which is just his style, because as great a prospect as Ojabo may be he's also too risky to go all-in on with the #3 overall pick in the 2022 Draft.
There's a likely chance he will be there in the second due to the depth of talent in this draft - there's a good chance to jump up a few spots to grab him there.

Who is taken with the top 2 picks? Are the Texans trading Tunsil? Will the Texans have extra picks from a Watson trade? What about medicals from the combine?

Not enough information to make a legit guess at this point.

We need about 50 players in the next 3 or 4 years, 'mon back !
I have a good vibe about Mills - I reckon we haven't seen anywhere near his best yet and that will obviously be helped by a much improved Oline and running game.
Overall, I think we can see a vast improvement in this team just with a couple of player upgrades at each position :-
2 OL
2 receivers
1 TE
1 RB
2 DBs
1LB
1DE
1 OLB/rusher
That's 11 very obtainable players that can be added before next pre season either through the draft or FA that will make a huge difference immediately.
I'd like to have some pro bowlers added among these - 2 on both sides of the ball.
If we can meet these simple criteria, we will see a vast improvement in this teams performance.

I have a good vibe about Mills - I reckon we haven't seen anywhere near his best yet and that will obviously be helped by a much improved Oline and running game.
Overall, I think we can see a vast improvement in this team just with a couple of player upgrades at each position :-
2 OL
2 receivers
1 TE
1 RB
2 DBs
1LB
1DE
1 OLB/rusher
That's 11 very obtainable players that can be added before next pre season either through the draft or FA that will make a huge difference immediately.
I'd like to have some pro bowlers added among these - 2 on both sides of the ball.
If we can meet these simple criteria, we will see a vast improvement in this teams performance.
Great, we'll have the next Tannehill, or if we're lucky, Garoppolo

?
Mills had 11 college starts and 11 NFL starts (with a below average team) - do you think his full potential has been revealed?
I'm very optimistic on Mills. I also agree the talent on this team needs to improve.

I'm just not ok with the extreme some are suggesting is needed for his sake.

Mills improved greatly on a team that got worse.

Before I make my prediction I’d want to know 1) if we’re able to trade DW and what the haul is and 2) have we traded Tunsil.

These would factor in on whether I would trade back or capitalize on the value of OTs available.
The original post says for whatever reason, we're picking at 3.

I'm very optimistic on Mills. I also agree the talent on this team needs to improve.

I'm just not ok with the extreme some are suggesting is needed for his sake.

Mills improved greatly on a team that got worse.
I hear ya. I subscribe to the theory that a few talented leaders on both sides of the ball will boost a team.
Of course, you need a competent coach and the other players must be reasonably talented with no hopeless weak links.
No team has 11 studs on defense, 11 studs on offense and 11 studs on STs so you obviously don't need that.

None of the above. At the present time without a Watson or Tunsil trade, I would trade back to pick up more day 1 & 2 picks to get as many top tier players as possible.

None of the above. At the present time without a Watson or Tunsil trade, I would trade back to pick up more day 1 & 2 picks to get as many top tier players as possible.
I also think we trade back, but what if we don't need to trade out of #3 ( care of a Watson trade) because we gain another high pick below #3 which we trade?
My scenario for this poll was what if Texans do pick at #3 - who do they pick?

Last edited:
Texans have have a chance to set blind side protection for Mills over the next decade. You can move Tunsil in the process. Mills is a pocket passer, he needs time to make his progressions. Evan Neal is 6-7 350 pounds, athletic and polished, plug and play.

Texans have have a chance to set blind side protection for Mills over the next decade. You can move Tunsil in the process. Mills is a pocket passer, he needs time to make his progressions. Evan Neal is 6-7 350 pounds, athletic and polished, plug and play.
Tunsil is only 27! Find a quality LG and C - that will also bolster his blind side. There will be future drafts to find another quality LT.

?
Mills had 11 college starts and 11 NFL starts (with a below average team) - do you think his full potential has been revealed?

Quoted for truth.

He could also become the next Joey B. Or Matt Ryan etc.. Their games are similar. Both have made it to the SB. Meanwhile all of the run if your 1st read isn't there. QB's azzez are at home.

See I think Tunsil doesn’t want to play for us anymore. He could’ve come back from injury and didn’t. To me that is draft capital.

I haven't heard a thing from Tunsil, have you?

If he doesn't want to play on Kirby then I'm all for trading him. All I've seen so far is posters that didn't like the trade/contract make up a bunch of hypothetical trades to get rid of him. This has taken on a life of its own.

Good thing is we should know the answers by the last weekend in April.

Tunsil is only 27! Find a quality LG and C - that will also bolster his blind side. There will be future drafts to find another quality LT.

then he should have good trade value and unload that big cap hit same time. would like to put that whole sordid affair in rear view window. never been a fan of his game since scouting him @ Mississippi. Texans totally hosed themselves with this player/contract/trade cost and Cal enabled it to happen.

If the Texans trade down from 3…..I think they’ll go offense.
If the Texans have the choice of DE- Thibodeaux, S- Hamilton, CB- Stingley, or LT- Ekwonu…I think the choice comes down Hamilton or Ekwonu.
If the Texans have traded Tunsil and gained another RD1…they may feel Ekwonu is a plug-n-play replacement. On the flip side, Howard wasn’t chopped liver down the stretch either. He like Mills may have done enough to convince the team to give him another season as the starting LT and see how that plays out knowing that another LT could be obtained in the 2023 draft if need be.
Texans do know that at the moment, their defensive backfield is in shambles. Not to mention, Reid is probably gone. I think Hamilton is a major need and just happens to be a top notch athlete who would provide a massive impact from Day 1. That pretty much summed up my desire to go with Hamilton.

If the Texans have the choice of DE- Thibodeaux, S- Hamilton, CB- Stingley, or LT- Ekwonu…I think the choice comes down Hamilton or Ekwonu.
If the Texans have traded Tunsil and gained another RD1…they may feel Ekwonu is a plug-n-play replacement. On the flip side, Howard wasn’t chopped liver down the stretch either. He like Mills may have done enough to convince the team to give him another season as the starting LT and see how that plays out knowing that another LT could be obtained in the 2023 draft if need be.
Texans do know that at the moment, their defensive backfield is in shambles. Not to mention, Reid is probably gone. I think Hamilton is a major need and just happens to be a top notch athlete who would provide a massive impact from Day 1. That pretty much summed up my desire to go with Hamilton.
Totally agree.
Howard showed up down the stretch like you say so that is interesting.
Reid was good for us in the past and will be missed so a good plug and play replacement will be needed and Hamilton fits the bill and has a nice pass rush from deep as well.
I really hope we get another pick inside the top ten and take CB Stingley or CB Gardner - one of those two should still be there inside the top ten.
Aim for Darian Kinnard low in the first with a trade up or take best tackle/guard available at #37.

Totally agree.
Reid was good for us in the past and will be missed so a good plug and play replacement will be needed and Hamilton fits the bill and has a nice pass rush from deep as well.
I really hope we get another pick inside the top ten and take CB Stingley or CB Gardner - one of those two should still be there inside the top ten.
Aim for Darian Kinnard low in the first with a trade up or take best tackle/guard available at #37.

If Texans wound up with a late RD1 pick…..LG- Zion Johnson wouldn’t be a stretch at that position.

then he should have good trade value and unload that big cap hit same time. would like to put that whole sordid affair in rear view window. never been a fan of his game since scouting him @ Mississippi. Texans totally hosed themselves with this player/contract/trade cost and Cal enabled it to happen.
. After seeing the ol last year is trade pro bowl level LT. If he doesn't want to be here then that's another thing. If you add an ol are 1-3 and train him up next yr then trade Tunsil that would be the optimal way to go about things. If after next season Tunsil is playing at a pro bowl level and say you drafted Neal, there's worse things than having 2 elite level ol on the team.

How many games did Howard play at LT?

Agreed about the secondary and the S position/ Hamilton. Good thing is this is a good S. class.

You can draft guys like Brisket/Hill/Cine at 2-37. Or guys like Pitre in the 3rd. Or even guys I like alot like J.T. Woods or Reed Blankenship later in the draft.

Good thing is the S position is usually fixable in FA on the cheap.

Totally agree.

Howard is an avg ol at best. Who misses a bunch of time each yr with injuries. You can't depend on him.

Reid is injury prone.

How many games did Howard play at LT?

Agreed about the secondary and the S position/ Hamilton. Good thing is this is a good S. class.

You can draft guys like Brisket/Hill/Cine at 2-37. Or guys like Pitre in the 3rd. Or even guys I like alot like J.T. Woods or Reed Blankenship later in the draft.

Good thing is the S position is usually fixable in FA on the cheap.

He's yet to play like a 1st rounder .... not even like a starter IMHO .... it would rekindle a flicker of hope for me, if he'd show up with a better body (lot's of bad weight) .... even if his play was only marginally better ! I still have hopes for Heck. He did a lot for his body last off season .... but I still wish he'd gain 10-12 more pounds of muscle. AND .... I need for Pep to get with Max yesterday, and find out if he's salvageable ! These things must be done immediately - IMHO !!

He's yet to play like a 1st rounder .... not even like a starter IMHO .... it would rekindle a flicker of hope for me, if he'd show up with a better body (lot's of bad weight) .... even if his play was only marginally better ! I still have hopes for Heck. He did a lot for his body last off season .... but I still wish he'd gain 10-12 more pounds of muscle. AND .... I need for Pep to get with Max yesterday, and find out if he's salvageable ! These things must be done immediately - IMHO !!

After CB- Jackson’s first season….I knew there was no way he could remain at CB b/c he couldn’t play with his back to the play. I called for him to be moved to FS where he could play facing the play. This would put his speed and ability to hit at optimal use.

I’ve seen the same thing in Scharping trying to make it Guard. I think he needs to have a try at Center before I would completely move away from him. If he could make the transition, then he could serve as an inexpensive but decent depth option at Center and Guard. If he doesn’t make it….cut him and move on.

Howard is an avg ol at best. Who misses a bunch of time each yr with injuries. You can't depend on him.

Reid is injury prone.
He played some of his best football down the stretch - at LT. It would be remiss of Texans coaching staff not to see if he can develop further. If he does continue improving, then you can trade Tunsil to a needy team for a premium and still have a decent LT in place.
Until then, slide Tunsil over to LG to work with Howard and open up the run game a little more.
If Howard goes out with injury, Tunsil slides back to LT.
Make a move on Darian Kinnard in the draft and stick him on the Right to see how he goes.
If Tunsil is traded, the rookie can slide over to LG to learn the ropes.

Unfortunately guys usually are what they are by yr #3. Howard is avg at best and Scharping is busty. Even though he probably will hang around the league a long time as a backup. Lamm/Quessenberry type guy. I do have hope for Heck, although he really needs to show improvement this yr.

He played some of his best football down the stretch - at LT. It would be remiss of Texans coaching staff not to see if he can develop further. If he does continue improving, then you can trade Tunsil to a needy team for a premium and still have a decent LT in place.
Until then, slide Tunsil over to LG to work with Howard and open up the run game a little more.
If Howard goes out with injury, Tunsil slides back to LT.
Make a move on Darian Kinnard in the draft and stick him on the Right to see how he goes.
If Tunsil is traded, the rookie can slide over to LG to learn the ropes.

So you're going to move a pro bowl LT (Tunsil) to LG so you can find out if your LG (Howard) who's been avg at best can play LT? On top of this Howard cant stay healthy for 16 games.

Opto, do you feel that we have the luxury of a Hamilton over an Ekwanu and/or a Zion Johnson ? I think we've got to have something similar to an offensive line, in order to fairly evaluate David Mills and whatever 1 or 2 rbs we draft !

I was thinking 2 RD1 picks. Hamilton and Johnson, Green, or Penning might be a nice start.

STATS on efficiency of our Offensive Linemen for 2021 Season

Tackles
League Rank # of Plays
Geron Christian #70 588
Charlie Heck #74 827

Guards

Max Scharping #54 689
Titus Howard #72 927
Justin McCray #73 545

Center

Justin Britt #22 671

Looks like the worst offensive lineman in the league to me !

We need to focus on the Offensive Line - 'cause .... they were who we were afraid they just might be !

Unfortunately guys usually are what they are by yr #3. Howard is avg at best and Scharping is busty. Even though he probably will hang around the league a long time as a backup. Lamm/Quessenberry type guy. I do have hope for Heck, although he really needs to show improvement this yr.

David Quessenbery OT #19 1,287

I spend so much time watching the offensive line ..... it's difficult to express how poorly they play .... Might be Scheme related .... I really don't know .... never played one snap on the line .... Thank God !

If the Texans have the choice of DE- Thibodeaux
Thibodaux is not a 4-3 DE. Which is why I don't think he would fit in Lovie's defense which tries to get pressure with the front 4.
Texans do know that at the moment, their defensive backfield is in shambles. Not to mention, Reid is probably gone. I think Hamilton is a major need and just happens to be a top notch athlete who would provide a massive impact from Day 1
Agree.

I feel good about our tackles. More than most. I think biggest Impact would be secondary.

So you're going to move a pro bowl LT (Tunsil) to LG so you can find out if your LG (Howard) who's been avg at best can play LT? On top of this Howard cant stay healthy for 16 games.
Yep.
Now you can ascertain if Howard is worth persisting with and you have a pro bowl guard right beside him.
You should be able to figure it out pretty quickly and if it doesn't work, you just switch them back over.
Any player can get injured at any moment and Howard could just as easily stay healthy.

He played some of his best football down the stretch - at LT. It would be remiss of Texans coaching staff not to see if he can develop further.
They already know.

They watch these guys a lot more than we do, in the game & at practice. If they draft someone to play LT, that will tell us what they think. If they don't, that will tell us what they think.

We don't know why they made the decisions they made playing him at LG. But like you I think Howard has been miscast in the old regime & last year may have just been the fallout from that.

We'll know what the Texans think soon enough.

STATS on efficiency of our Offensive Linemen for 2021 Season

Tackles
League Rank # of Plays
Geron Christian #70 588
Charlie Heck #74 827

Guards

Max Scharping #54 689
Titus Howard #72 927
Justin McCray #73 545

Center

Justin Britt #22 671

Looks like the worst offensive lineman in the league to me !

We need to focus on the Offensive Line - 'cause .... they were who we were afraid they just might be !
I wonder how those grades would change if we had a QB who could get the ball out on time & they only have to hold their blocks for 3 seconds. Or a RB that can press a gap or break a tackle.

I'm not saying our guys are as good as whoever, but it's hard to separate a guys play from those around him. I only say that to say I don't know/trust PFF enough to say which, if any, of those guys need to be replaced.

They already know.

They watch these guys a lot more than we do, in the game & at practice. If they draft someone to play LT, that will tell us what they think. If they don't, that will tell us what they think.

We don't know why they made the decisions they made playing him at LG. But like you I think Howard has been miscast in the old regime & last year may have just been the fallout from that.

We'll know what the Texans think soon enough.

I fear this moment !

I wonder how those grades would change if we had a QB who could get the ball out on time & they only have to hold their blocks for 3 seconds. Or a RB that can press a gap or break a tackle.

I'm not saying our guys are as good as whoever, but it's hard to separate a guys play from those around him. I only say that to say I don't know/trust PFF enough to say which, if any, of those guys need to be replaced.

Your right .... our poor play, on any part of the offense, seems to have a domino effect. I've heard it said that the majority of the NFL teams subscribe to PFF .... but talk is cheap .... however, it's tough not to trust our lying eyes !

I've heard it said that the majority of the NFL teams subscribe to PFF .... but talk is cheap .... however, it's tough not to trust our lying eyes !
I believe that's true, but I doubt their individual player stats have much, if any, influence on the teams own internal scouting.

Back