Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Playoffs

BullRushTX

To'oTo'o A'go-go
Getting into the playoffs this season would be quite the accomplishment. Looking at the current standings, I think there's only two ways it could happen:

1. Win the division. We've got one win against Jax already. Maybe they fall off a little and we can catch them, but it'll be hard.
2. Beat the remaining AFC North teams. The Steelers, Browns, and Bengals currently hold the WC spots. We've beaten the Steelers already. To have a chance at a WC, we need to beat the Bengals and Browns. That's a tall order.

Realistically, I don't think it's going to happen. However, if the Texans beat the Bengals this Sunday, I'm saying we've got a chance.

I think as much as CJ has this week established that he’s capable of being brilliant in this league he will certainly have games that don’t go to plan as much as it did yesterday.
Our D got stretched with injuries, too, and the result was that they certainly did enough to lose a game on a different occasion.
Certainly Burrow will provide more of a test than Baker did yesterday. It’s still take each game as it comes and this team has yet to get above .500, which would be. A huge milestone if they can do that this week.

Take each game as it comes, I still believe we need to have another draft go as well as last years before we can think about our window opening to challenge for a title, playoff experience would be great to pick up this season and you’ve got to be in it to win it as they say.

It's possible, with what I've seen so far this year, the Texans could sneak into the playoffs as the last wild card team. I don't think it'll happen though. CJ Stroud continuing along the path he is now could do it. But even if they did, they wouldn't last long in the playoffs. This team is still missing to much talent in critical areas on the defense for us to withstand any sort of deep playoff run.

It's possible, with what I've seen so far this year, the Texans could sneak into the playoffs as the last wild card team. I don't think it'll happen though. CJ Stroud continuing along the path he is now could do it. But even if they did, they wouldn't last long in the playoffs. This team is still missing to much talent in critical areas on the defense for us to withstand any sort of deep playoff run.
I agree with that. It's a long shot, so I won't be disappointed missing the playoffs. I'm hoping we can get a good influx of talent with free agency and the draft next season. This season will be a fun ride though. It's great seeing improvement.

I think as much as CJ has this week established that he’s capable of being brilliant in this league he will certainly have games that don’t go to plan as much as it did yesterday.
Our D got stretched with injuries, too, and the result was that they certainly did enough to lose a game on a different occasion.
Certainly Burrow will provide more of a test than Baker did yesterday. It’s still take each game as it comes and this team has yet to get above .500, which would be. A huge milestone if they can do that this week.

Take each game as it comes, I still believe we need to have another draft go as well as last years before we can think about our window opening to challenge for a title, playoff experience would be great to pick up this season and you’ve got to be in it to win it as they say.
Our defense against Burrow, Chase, and Higgins in Cincinnati feels like a big ask. I'm eager to see how they handle it.

I agree with that. It's a long shot, so I won't be disappointed missing the playoffs. I'm hoping we can get a good influx of talent with free agency and the draft next season. This season will be a fun ride though. It's great seeing improvement.

If they have another good draft, and a nice free agent or two in the offseason, you should see them in the playoffs next year. Assuming they find a way to run the ball. LOL

Kevin Garnett said it best,” Anything is Possible “!. Take each game one at a time and let the dominoes fall whatever way they fall. I believe we can get in there, with a little luck and we continue to put some wins together. Watch out there now.

It would be very fun to make the playoffs but it's a tough road. Right now trying to sort through the wildcard race is a nightmare. Currently the AFCN controls all 3 wildcard spots. The teams just outside the hunt ahead of us are the Jets and Bills and then there's a few teams right on our tail. I imagine the AFCN will beat up on each other a bit but the Bills are right there to snake up that 7 seed.

The path to the division is a lot clearer but not any easier. The Jaguars are playing solid football right now and have a 2 game lead. If we can keep the margin to two games going into the week 12 Jags game we give ourselves a chance though.

That inexplicable Carolina loss or not being able to stop the Falcons that last drive is very painful looking forward and my guess is we look at those games on the couch in January and we're thinking "what if".

Who knows though if CJ keeps balling out and the defense can play like it was weeks 3-8 maybe we can sneak in. It's nice to be playing meaningful football in November.

Last year two 10 win teams and one 9 win team got the wild card slots. I don't feel comfortable with predicting six more wins with our schedule, but five is possible and that would give us 9 wins. However even getting those five wins isn't going to be that easy. It means CJ has to play hero ball five more times, because that's the only way it could happen. Our defense isn't going to hold up against other good offensive teams when you're talking playoffs.

The defense gave up 37 points yesterday to Tampa Bay who is not exactly an offensive juggernaut. This is not a playoff defense right now. The offense, OTOH, is gelling more quickly. Love the vertical passing game when it is not MIA...

--------------------------------------------

Cincinnati opened as 8 pt favorites over the Texans this Sunday - now down to 6½ and 7.

Remaining schedule:

@Cincy
Arizona
Jax
Denver
@NYJ
@Tennessee
Cleveland
Tennessee
@ Indy

Last edited:
I want the AFCS championship because Jags, Titans, Colts... can go suck lemons.

I also want to see the value of the pick we give the Cards to be as low as possible.

Even if we were to be top of the AFCS I expect nothing after and I will be happy (well, after accepting the loss if and when it came) just to go from #2 over all to playoffs.... even one and done is a drastic improvement and is more than ample reason to believe change is real and its a team deserving of hope.

Of course, if some miracle they got deep into the playoffs or all the way.... the change would be undeniable to the most harsh of skeptics.

I don't believe the Texans are ready just yet, but the Jags are the Jags and with a two game lead the Texans aren't out of it.

IF I hold my own team to a standard of make me believe the change is real..... it applies to others as well, so no matter how good the Jags get, no matter the abundance of talent, coaching etc they may or may not have at their disposal...... until they prove they can utilize it all and NOT shoot themselves in the foot... they are still the Jags and at any time, I expect them to unravel.

I still think they win 10 games. 3-1 in division, Cards/ Broncos/Browns.

It really would help if they could beat the Jags and the NYJ.

Last edited:
We can't have a Texans' playoff thread without Jim Mora.

giphy.gif

We've got one win against Jax already. Maybe they fall off a little and we can catch them, but it'll be hard.
However, if the Texans beat the Bengals this Sunday, I'm saying we've got a chance.
beating the Bengals & Browns would help as they're common opponents.

This is the kitties remaining schedule.
1699313085176.png

The defense gave up 37 points yesterday to Tampa Bay who is not exactly an offensive juggernaut. This is not a playoff defense right now. The offense, OTOH, is gelling more quickly. Love the vertical passing game when it is not MIA...

Cincinnati opened as 8 pt favorites over the Texans this Sunday - now down to 6½ and 7.

Remaining schedule:

@Cincy
Arizona
Jax
Denver
@NYJ
@Tennessee
Cleveland
Tennessee
@ Indy
The schedule is dicey. The team is capable of winning a lot of these games. My biggest concern with being able to make a run at the WC is the team hasn't figured out how to play consistently yet and that's a big key to being a playoff team.

Our defense against Burrow, Chase, and Higgins in Cincinnati feels like a big ask. I'm eager to see how they handle it.
They're averaging 19 ppg. They're not playing (yet) to the level they have in the past.

Of course they'll get right against the Texans defense.

If they beat the Bengals on the road i’ll get my hopes up that they can make the playoffs. But right now i’m just enjoying the process of watching a young team develop.

I like exciting football. Yesterday they had plenty of opportunities to give the game away but they kept fighting. They have been fighting all season. Difference is yesterday they got the chance to drive for the game winner.

This team’s best player (Stroud) had the ball in his hands with the game on the line. That wasn’t the case against the Falcons/Panthers. I’m really happy to say that the best player on this team is the rookie QB!

If they beat the Bengals on the road i’ll get my hopes up that they can make the playoffs. But right now i’m just enjoying the process of watching a young team develop.

I like exciting football. Yesterday they had plenty of opportunities to give the game away but they kept fighting. They have been fighting all season. Difference is yesterday they got the chance to drive for the game winner.

This team’s best player (Stroud) had the ball in his hands with the game on the line. That wasn’t the case against the Falcons/Panthers. I’m really happy to say that the best player on this team is the rookie QB!
If Texans beat @Cincy, it will send shockwaves around the NFL and I will definitely be thinking playoffs.
I love my Texans, but they're not quite there yet.

How is they are playing us here on the 26th but we are playing them there on the 12th?
Weird, NFL.com has it the same way.
You are not looking at this years schedule... Bengals played the Titans on Oct. 1 and lost, the 49ers on Oct 29th and won
My bad, I thought you were talking the Bengals schedule since I thought that's who we were talking about. You posted the Jags schedule. The 'kitties' threw me off

Remaining schedule:

@Cincy
Arizona
Jax
Denver
@NYJ
@Tennessee
Cleveland
Tennessee
@ Indy
That defense only gave up 17 points to Jacksonville, 6 points to Pittsburgh, and 13 to New Orleans. Only two teams scored 30 or more on them. That just shows me every game is different and that our defense won’t give up 30 every game.

My bad, I thought you were talking the Bengals schedule since I thought that's who we were talking about. You posted the Jags schedule. The 'kitties' threw me off
Just saw this, after I posted about the Bengals playing the Bengals.

Jags are kitties, Bengals are full grown mfers

Gotta love the overreaction to a game like yesterday, especially when it took a miracle drive to end up winning it. Which is great, but get put in that situation 10 times and the success rate is probably not going to be very high.

This team is not playoff caliber, even though their weak schedule could possibly get them there. But then every game you think is winnable the rest of the way, they still lost to the Panthers. Still a lot of issues with this team like absolutely no running game and a defense that not only gives up over 70% completion rate on a consistent basis, but they can't get off the field in crunch time. And penalties! Texans have the most penalty yards per game. WTF?

I simply can't comprehend how well the makeshift o-line has done in pass pro. I keep thinking it's some kind of smoke and mirrors wizardry that will blow up any second. And if they don't get a run game going that's exactly what I'm expecting to happen.

I had a 5-7 win team this season. Could be off on that at the upper end because who was expecting CJ to be as good as he has been?

I expect the "playoff" talk will probably slow down after Cincy, but I'm just going to enjoy the growth of this team and not get too ahead of where they actually are. They've still got a lot of pieces to add to this puzzle.

I expect the "playoff" talk will probably slow down after Cincy,
You don't know us very well.

We'll be doing mental gymnastics & quantum mathematics to find a way to hope we get in up to the very last day. & even then we'll probably hope someone gets disqualified & we sneak in as the sub.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t call that overreacting. It’s called being excited for a change towards a team that’s been in the shitters for the past three- four seasons. They’re getting the love they deserve after a big time comeback win. Especially on a game winning drive in which we’ve seen them lose in that fashion in like forever.
So I don’t have any issues with anyone talking about playoffs right now. Heck even a lot of the media heads are starting to say they’re their sleeper team now.
So enjoy it Texans fans, we freaking deserves it.

That defense only gave up 17 points to Jacksonville, 6 points to Pittsburgh, and 13 to New Orleans. Only two teams scored 30 or more on them. That just shows me every game is different and that our defense won’t give up 30 every game.
I'm worried about injuries depleting the defense.

Are WA/Rankins going to play?

They lost Ridgeway and Ward. Ward is a big loss IMHO.

Heck, even the kicker is hurt. Speaking of this, how many games have both Johnston/Fairbarin been healthy at the same time?

I think it is about expectations. Each W makes the expectations go up. Each L makes the expectations go down. Kinda obvious, I suppose and human nature.

I don't think any of the remaining games are particularly scary. Maybe Cincy, but if the Texans are in the right attitude, they can be competitive and perhaps make it a close game.

I don't foresee a spread larger than 7 points in any of the other games whether favorite or underdog. Are they going to lose a few of these remaining games by greater than 10 points? Yeah, probably. But I'll be watching for them to be competitive and though they are young and inexperienced, they are showing signs that none of the other dullard teams of the past few years have shown....

I'm worried about injuries depleting the defense.

Are WA/Rankins going to play?

They lost Ridgeway and Ward. Ward is a big loss IMHO.

Heck, even the kicker is hurt. Speaking of this, how many games have both Johnston/Fairbarin been healthy at the same time?
Me too. Pretty insane the amount injuries this team get each week.

Being down how many safeties? I'm not eager to see how the Texans handle it. Sunday will be a huge measuring stick to see where the Texans are as a team, and a coaching staff. I'll be geared up and rooting for the good guys, just not optimistic about the results. Burrow is healthy and on a roll.

After seeing Stroud given the reigns.

I fully expect him to torch everyone given the aggressive game plan.

Keep in mind, he just put up the numbers despite being off in the first half.

Slowik went conservative and costs the Texans a game against the worst team in the league.

Don't do it again man. You already costs the Texans two games by not trusting a QB playing similar to 2015-2021 Aaron Rodgers(TD INT Ratio paired with YPA).

Let him COOK!

The Tampa Bay game did three important things.

1) Showed Slowick that CJ can be trusted as a rookie to attack deep and often to allow the conservative crap to be pulled from the playbook..

2) Showed the team that they have a baller on the field. You could see it in their faces and in their energy on the field. That will carry this team in the weeks to come.

3) Put the NFL and Media on notice. This is not the Texans of yesteryear.

Last edited:
Back