Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Pick 67] Davis Mills QB Stanford

As a rookie?

After his rookie season I understand the Browns thinking they have their QB. I don’t agree with making his QB coach the HC. But I understand them putting the best team they possibly could around him.

Three years later, I understand wanting to move on.

I'm not following your logic as it relates to Mills.

What stands out is the difference in the QBR.

What stood out for me…..Mills established his final 5 game stats with a 2 win team after Week 12, a bridge HC, and a OB holdover in Kelly as OC. On the other hand, Jones established his final 5 game stats with a 8 win team (Week 12) still being lead by the tandem of Belichick and McDaniels. Interestingly…..both QB’s went 2-3 in their final 5 games.

I sure look forward to seeing how the off-season work Mills put in with Collins pays off this season. Only Collins wasn’t the only teammate to join in on the off season workouts….Mills also had Brevin Jordan, Brandin Cooks, and Rex Burkhead spend the off season in his workouts.

SI wrote an article called, “Texans Davis Mills: From Year One Starter to Year Two Leader?”….the author is leading towards “leader” as am I. I believe Mills was establishing his leadership position from Week 13 and has only strengthened the position through the off season.

I'm not following your logic as it relates to Mills.

I think what he's saying is that over the last 5 games of his rookie year, Baker Mayfield's stats were better than Mills' (115/175 for 65.7% completion, 1483 yards, 10 TDs and 7 INTs for a passer rating around 111 if my math is right). He played better, at least technically.

Cleveland followed the logic of thinking they had their QB and built a really good team around him, but it hasn't amounted to anything because he's still not The Guy. So now they're mortgaging their future away to try to get that final piece at QB.

I might be getting the conclusion wrong, but if we see a guy in the next draft who's got a higher ceiling than Mills, then we shouldn't hesitate to snap him up.

TKyss, stop me if I'm misrepresenting your point.

I might be getting the conclusion wrong, but if we see a guy in the next draft who's got a higher ceiling than Mills, then we shouldn't hesitate to snap him up.

For the most part, you got it. I’m optimistic about Mills (though I was against the pick) but I think it’s too early to say
Looks to me like Caserio found his QB. Just gotta build a team around him.
I wouldn’t even say Belichick found his QB.

So far so good. There’s substantial improvement is needed from both. Putting a good team around them should help.

But more to my point, the Browns thought they were putting a better team around Baker, but they obviously don’t believe it paid off as it should have.

It’s not like Pep is Andy Reid or has had near the playcalling experience Reid had. Or Sean Payton, or Kyle Shanahan.

many a slip twixt cup & lip

For the most part, you got it. I’m optimistic about Mills (though I was against the pick) but I think it’s too early to say

I wouldn’t even say Belichick found his QB.

So far so good. There’s substantial improvement is needed from both. Putting a good team around them should help.

But more to my point, the Browns thought they were putting a better team around Baker, but they obviously don’t believe it paid off as it should have.

It’s not like Pep is Andy Reid or has had near the playcalling experience Reid had. Or Sean Payton, or Kyle Shanahan.

many a slip twixt cup & lip
What makes you think Belichick hasn't found his QB? His actions say he thinks Jones is the future.

We don't know what kinda play caller Pep is going to be.

I think what he's saying is that over the last 5 games of his rookie year, Baker Mayfield's stats were better than Mills' (115/175 for 65.7% completion, 1483 yards, 10 TDs and 7 INTs for a passer rating around 111 if my math is right). He played better, at least technically.

Cleveland followed the logic of thinking they had their QB and built a really good team around him, but it hasn't amounted to anything because he's still not The Guy. So now they're mortgaging their future away to try to get that final piece at QB.

You can play the doubt game with any young QB. Look at Brady's stats as a rookie, or Montana's/ Elways.

Are you supposed to not put the best team possible around your young QB, so you can find out what you've really got at QB?

Four of Mills' ten interceptions were in that rainy Buffalo game.

Most fan bases would be estatic if their rookie QB put up those kinds of stats. I don't even count the Bills game because of the weather and Mills inexperience.

But apparently the Texans fan base doesn't appreciate having nice things. Wonder why this is. I will bet this segment of the fan base is rooting for Mills to fail because they want a tiny Young who struggled with pressure last year, or Stroud as their QB, even though the next decent Ohio State QB that succeeds in the NFL will be the 1st QB that has succeeds.

Most fan bases would be estatic if their rookie QB put up those kinds of stats. I don't even count the Bills game because of the weather and Mills inexperience.

But apparently the Texans fan base doesn't appreciate having nice things. Wonder why this is. I will bet this segment of the fan base is rooting for Mills to fail because they want a tiny Young who struggled with pressure last year, or Stroud as their QB, even though the next decent Ohio State QB that succeeds in the NFL will be the 1st QB that has succeeds.
"Mills inexperience"? I'll say. That was the forth game of the season and Mills second start after TT went on IR.

I just don’t understand how anyone can be against drafting a QB with a 3rd round pick in the situation that HOU is/was in.
It’s a 3rd round pick.
And HOU had 2 3rd round picks. If Mills was drafted in the last draft, he would have been the 2nd QB taken. Willis and Corrall were taken for the same reason. Its a 3rd round pick. If you hit, it’s a unicorn like Russell Wilson, if you dont, who cares, it’s a 3rd F’ing round pick. It’s not going to make or break your team. Even a rebuilding team.
Who cares.

I have an admission to make.
A while back I made a statement that for the sake of Mills development, it was imperative to keep Tim Kelly as OC.
I was wrong.
I hadn't considered Pep being promoted to OC, thereby providing the continuity that I feel is important for Mills.

I think Pep becoming OC is one of the very best case scenarios that I can imagine for Davis Mills.

I just don’t understand how anyone can be against drafting a QB with a 3rd round pick in the situation that HOU is/was in.
It’s a 3rd round pick.
And HOU had 2 3rd round picks. If Mills was drafted in the last draft, he would have been the 2nd QB taken. Willis and Corrall were taken for the same reason. Its a 3rd round pick. If you hit, it’s a unicorn like Russell Wilson, if you dont, who cares, it’s a 3rd F’ing round pick. It’s not going to make or break your team. Even a rebuilding team.
Who cares.
Your focus is on using a round 3. This has been discussed frequently in the past especially right after Mills selected and I was one of those not happy with the pic. My point of view was at the time we had an NFL starter in Tyrod Taylor whom I thought would be a very good quarterback and he was until injured. We had too many needs to 'waste' on Mills with minimal college play.

You ass u me he would have been 2nd QB picked but again that has nothing to do with my opinion we should have gone another direction at that time. Now.. he's on team and I am rooting for him as I am Sting who I also didn't want.

Your focus is on using a round 3. This has been discussed frequently in the past especially right after Mills selected and I was one of those not happy with the pic. My point of view was at the time we had an NFL starter in Tyrod Taylor whom I thought would be a very good quarterback and he was until injured. We had too many needs to 'waste' on Mills with minimal college play.

You ass u me he would have been 2nd QB picked but again that has nothing to do with my opinion we should have gone another direction at that time. Now.. he's on team and I am rooting for him as I am Sting who I also didn't want.
Another thing. If I thought Mills was going to be my franchise QB, I'd have taken him. That's the only way I would have taken a QB with that 3rd round pick. Because your clock has started. Whether you thought he was going to be the guy or not. Your clock has started. & we were in no position to start any clock.

Two things. You're right. Mills is here. & he's surprising me & I'm glad he's here.

Second. Caserio has not been "rebuilding" the way you'd think a rebuild would be done. He's trying to put together a competitive team.

Two things. If Tim Kelly was so bad as OC and the play-caller how is it Mills is considered surprisingly good?

Sometimes players do better than the system they are in.

Same was said about Watson with Kelly/OB.

Not that Mills is on the level of Watson.

Same can be said about a lot of players. Tannehill and Gase comes to mind.

Which it has been said Tannehill may be a more comparable player for Mills but who knows.

Lovie Smith says

“Every day we’ve opened up the building, (Mills has) been in here. He’s our quarterback. When you’re the leader, you’ve got to be visible,” said the head coach with an 89-87 career NFL record and 2006 Super Bowl appearance. “It’s about this year. Having a year, he and Pep Hamilton getting on the same page with our offense, and him being in a role from the start, that’s different also. But that’s what you do. You have a chance for him to establish himself as one of our primary leaders each day.”

Mills seems to be very mature and seems to recognize the opportunity in front of him and the work necessary to take advantage of that opportunity.
From a maturity and leadership perspective, he seems to be almost the exact opposite of Baker Mayfield to me.

Mills knows that he has to work, fight for and earn the position. And it looks like he's doing all of those things, as well as putting himself into the leadership role with "his" offensive players.

If he fails, it won't be for lack of doing the right things

Back