Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Pick 67] Davis Mills QB Stanford

OK, how about this: Highest Rated Rookie Passers in NFL history? (with a minimum of 14 passes per game)
1. Dak Prescott - 104.9
2. RG III - 102.4
3. Russell Wilson - 100.0
4. Justin Herbert - 98.3
5. Ben Roethlisberger - 98.1
6. Dan Marino - 96.0
7. Baker Mayfield - 93.7
8. Mac Jones - 92.5
9. Marcus Mariota - 91.5
10. Gardner Minshew - 91.2
11. Nick Mullens - 90.8
12. Joe Burrow - 89.8
13. Davis Mills - 88.8
14. Greg Cook - 88.3
15. Matt Ryan - 87.7
16. Daniel Jones - 87.7
17. Kyler Murray - 87.4
18. Tua Tagovailoa - 87.1
19. Teddy Bridgewater - 85.2
20. Austin Davis - 85.1
21. Cam Newton - 84.5

This does not mean that he's going to be a great quarterback or anything, but it is pretty impressive.
Wait, I didn't say it was great. I don’t think anyone else did either. I only saw the article and posted it. As Pencil Neck points out his numbers are about mid tier of rookie passer rating all time. I mean Dan Mario is on the list he posted.

You guys obviously missed the part about reality. The kid has played in 13 games and you’re comparing him to Dan Marino?? OK.

Mills sets a Texans rookie record, and people are led to believe that’s some kind of great accomplishment,
I go by how the board reacts to such posts.

It was a story someone found & shared. No one suggested a parade or put Davis Mills in a gold jacket. There have been a few responses of the, "good for him" variety.

I don't think anyone is overplaying this "news"

You guys obviously missed the part about reality. The kid has played in 13 games and you’re comparing him to Dan Marino?? OK.

Who's missing the part about reality? The numbers are the numbers. Davis Mills has the 13th best rookie passer rating in the history of the NFL. That's the reality. That's the fact.

I'm going to go on a little rant here about comparing people. You can compare any player to any player. Brady to Manning, sure. Brady to the other Manning, sure. Marino to Unitas, sure. Brady to Dave Ragone? Yes. Just because you're comparing two players doesn't mean anyone is saying that they're the same player or that they're going to have the same or even remotely similar careers.

Just because Mills' rookie passer rating is between Joe Burrow (a Bengal QB who's looking pretty good his second year) and Greg Cook (one of the great Bengal QBs) doesn't mean he's going to be a great Bengal quarterback. Just because he's on the same list as Marino doesn't mean he's going to have a Marino-like career. (I really hope he has a better career in terms of winning SBs that Marino.)

Mills is playing in a different time where passing efficiency is much more highly prized than it was back in Marino's day. It was a different game back then, offenses are different and defenses are different. The fact that Marino is so high on that list shows just how great he was, but the fact that today's game is different and that rookies are trained and brought up differently can be seen in the fact that Gardner Minshew and Marcus Mariota are also on that list and are higher than Davis Mills. This list is very skewed toward modern passers because of the differences in the games and the differences in how players are brought along. Roethlisberger really was a harbinger of a new era of rookie quarterbacks where a great coach could make a rookie be efficient and not hurt the team.

These numbers and these comparisons are simply finding something positive about Davis Mills and a craptacular season. Davis Mills has shown some signs of at least being a decent QB. That's all. He can still fail miserably which is why I made the comparison of him to Tom Savage in another thread, not to say he's not already better than Tom Savage but that this might be as good as he gets and it's not good enough.

OK, how about this: Highest Rated Rookie Passers in NFL history? (with a minimum of 14 passes per game)
1. Dak Prescott - 104.9
2. RG III - 102.4
4. Justin Herbert - 98.3
6. Dan Marino - 96.0
7. Baker Mayfield - 93.7
8. Mac Jones - 92.5
9. Marcus Mariota - 91.5
11. Nick Mullens - 90.8
12. Joe Burrow - 89.8
13. Davis Mills - 88.8
14. Greg Cook - 88.3
15. Matt Ryan - 87.7
16. Daniel Jones - 87.7
17. Kyler Murray - 87.4
20. Austin Davis - 85.1
21. Cam Newton - 84.5

This does not mean that he's going to be a great quarterback or anything, but it is pretty impressive.
That's very impressive for Greg Cook, he did that pre 1978 rule changes and with a torn rotator cuff most of his rookie season. Shame that injury derailed his career after that.

1. Dak Prescott - 104.9
2. RG III - 102.4
4. Justin Herbert - 98.3
6. Dan Marino - 96.0
7. Baker Mayfield - 93.7
8. Mac Jones - 92.5
9. Marcus Mariota - 91.5
11. Nick Mullens - 90.8
12. Joe Burrow - 89.8
13. Davis Mills - 88.8
14. Greg Cook - 88.3
15. Matt Ryan - 87.7
16. Daniel Jones - 87.7
17. Kyler Murray - 87.4
20. Austin Davis - 85.1
21. Cam Newton - 84.5

I think this is more of a feel good list than anything else. When you look at this list, Nick Mullens threw 13 TDs and 10 INTs and Bridgewater threw 14 TDs and 12 INTs but are on the list. With that note. I'm not sure of the significance of the list.

I think this is more of a feel good list than anything else. When you look at this list, Nick Mullens threw 13 TDs and 10 INTs and Bridgewater threw 14 TDs and 12 INTs but are on the list. With that note. I'm not sure of the significance of the list.
List just says Mills is a viable prospect. He could go up. He could go down. But he's earned a one year investment... 2022

Agreed,

But, what impresses me more than anything is that you can see Mills improving with the more experience he gets.

Well, no matter what Davis becomes I don't see them beating the Bills or Chiefs. Those teams have studs at QB that shredded defenses that were playing at a high level. Neither QB lost in that game. Depressing for the Texans. We are a grand canyon away from beating those teams when it counts

Well, no matter what Davis becomes I don't see them beating the Bills or Chiefs. Those teams have studs at QB that shredded defenses that were playing at a high level. Neither QB lost in that game. Depressing for the Texans. We are a grand canyon away from beating those teams when it counts

On the flip side….the Texans could look completely different come 2024 and/or 2025. Bills & Chiefs could be completely different teams come 2024 & 2025 b/c of the cap. If anything, they could be a couple of years older while the Texans are a few years younger.

Who knows? I’ll know more after watching Caserio navigate his second season.

Last edited:

Not right now, but in 2-3 years alot of things can happen. Injuries/fa losses/ regression of play etc....

Joe Burrow did not look very good his rookie year.
he’s light years better this year.
Mills gets another year to see if he can do the same. If not, it’s no biggie. HOU will have amassed picks and can go get their guy.

Joe Burrow did not look very good his rookie year.
he’s light years better this year.
Mills gets another year to see if he can do the same. If not, it’s no biggie. HOU will have amassed picks and can go get their guy.

Let’s see the Texans amass teams like the Bills and Bengals did for their young QB’s before expecting a 9-8 or 10-7 turnaround by Mills.

I go by how the board reacts to such posts.

It was a story someone found & shared. No one suggested a parade or put Davis Mills in a gold jacket. There have been a few responses of the, "good for him" variety.

I don't think anyone is overplaying this "news"
Yeah I don’t get it. Nobody is overplaying it, only pointing out something positive and tangible. wonder how magnanimous his detractors would be if he showed no promise? I’ve always noticed negative people usually don’t hold higher principles.

Super Bowl Champ: Texans' Mills An 'Up And Comer'
Two-time Super Bowl champion Kyle Van Noy has praised Houston Texans quarterback, Davis Mills, saying he's an "up and coming one."
Speaking on The Pat McAfee Show, two-time Super Bowl champion linebacker, and current member of the LA Chargers Kyle Van Noy, was quick to praise Mills when the topic of fellow 2021 draftee Mac Jones came up.

"I also want people to also think about Davis Mills," Van Noy said. "I want you to look at his play of his rookie year and his completions and touchdown ratio to Mac Jones - very similar, and I don't think people have hit on that enough - of the progress that Davis Mills has shown down [with the] Texans."
THE REST OF THE STORY

Super Bowl Champ: Texans' Mills An 'Up And Comer'
Two-time Super Bowl champion Kyle Van Noy has praised Houston Texans quarterback, Davis Mills, saying he's an "up and coming one."
Speaking on The Pat McAfee Show, two-time Super Bowl champion linebacker, and current member of the LA Chargers Kyle Van Noy, was quick to praise Mills when the topic of fellow 2021 draftee Mac Jones came up.

"I also want people to also think about Davis Mills," Van Noy said. "I want you to look at his play of his rookie year and his completions and touchdown ratio to Mac Jones - very similar, and I don't think people have hit on that enough - of the progress that Davis Mills has shown down [with the] Texans."
THE REST OF THE STORY

One of my favorite parts is below. And I have seen early "predictions" we will take Will Levis in next year's draft. I have yet to even look at film but I honestly think that Mills is going to end up a steal.

"I just wanted to shout out guys that are flying under the radar that have been really really successful and I think he's going to be [an] up and coming one."

It looks like draft position to me. Damn sure isn't based on play last season. Keyshawn Johnson has always been a loud-mouthed wannabe Michael Irving, who I also don't care for.

I don’t listen to any of those guys, shows they’re on or any of that, but they had Keyshawn in studio on John & Lance last week, who I’ve listened to religiously the last 20 something years, and dude was about as clueless as it gets.

The only thing I can think of is QBR must really put a emphasis on completion %

Passer rating is calculated on completion percentage, yards, TD, and INT. That’s it.

QBR takes a whole boat load of things into account. Each play, the outcome of the play, down and distance, are just a few of the factors that go into QBR. Some examples, a 6 yard completion on 3rd and 4 has more value than a 6 yard completion on 3rd and 8. A completion under heavy pressure is worth more than a completion with plenty of time to throw. A 40 yard, non scoring completion as time expires doesn’t carry as much weight as a 40 yard non scoring completion with time still on the clock to try and score. A 40 yard completion thrown 40 yards has more value than a 40 yard completion where it was thrown 10 yards and the receiver ran it 30 more yards. Garbage time stats don’t carry the same weight as stats in a close game. Things like that are factored into QBR.

Davis Mills: 117/171 Comp/Att, 1058 Yds, 68.76 Comp%, 7.48 Avg, 9 TD, 2 Int, 103.98 RTG, 45.74 QBR

Mac Jones: 135/190 Comp/Att, 1243 Yds, 72.14 Comp%, 6.66 Avg, 5 TD, 5 Int, 88.74 RTG, 53.1 QBR

Looks to me like Caserio found his QB. Just gotta build a team around him.

I will tell you this, he put on a display of QB play that was far above the amount of games he played against the Chargers. He outplayed Herbert. That should make fans excited, but it won't. Why? Because people listen to the media slackers.

What they don't realize is they are being played, by a lazy media who are relating to the low hanging fruit.

I can't wait to see Mills operate with a run game like he had against the Chargers. That was good stuff.

I don't judge things by stats.

I look at how Mills played when an offense functioned like it should have against the Chargers
As a rookie?

After his rookie season I understand the Browns thinking they have their QB. I don’t agree with making his QB coach the HC. But I understand them putting the best team they possibly could around him.

Three years later, I understand wanting to move on.

Back