Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Pick 67] Davis Mills QB Stanford

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I think we're at the point where Mills should watch a few games from the sideline and reset. Maybe the coaching staff can figure out how to get something positive out of this offense. I'm not pointing the finger solely at Mills. There's a lot going wrong.
This is neither the coaching staff nor team in which to develop a QB. Anyone who thinks Mills was supposed to somehow pickup and run with this organization is only kidding themselves. I watch the consolidated replays and only look for the things to build on and Mills has shown at one point or another that he can play at this level. Why only one point or another? The coaches and players surrounding his develop just aren’t good enough.

I’m with you Lucky….time to give this guy a break on the sideline and let Taylor run the offense when he’s ready to go again. He could gain quite a bit from an observation standpoint now that he’s been in the heat of multiple games.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I think we're at the point where Mills should watch a few games from the sideline and reset. Maybe the coaching staff can figure out how to get something positive out of this offense. I'm not pointing the finger solely at Mills. There's a lot going wrong.
That's likely good advise, or atleast an option the Texans should consider about now.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Between the Tunsil injury and play of the rest of the OL, Tim Kelly's offensive scheme, RB's that are hot garbage and Mills playing like a developmental rookie, it's hard to point one finger at any one thing with this offense and say THIS is the reason.

Tim Kelly - clearly based on the way TT looked in this offense, he has learned how to build a scheme around a mobile QB who can make off-script plays. Unfortunately, this is the only kind of scheme he can build. And he loves that OB play where they run a RB into the hole that doesn't exist for 1 yard. They need a different OC next season.

Tunsil and OL - if they can, trade Tunsil for picks and focus all draft capital on the trenches. Howard was a reach in 1st round and isn't panning out. Sharping is simply getting to the point of being a wasted 2nd rounder. Not giving up on Heck yet.

RB's - get rid of all three before Game 8. I don't care if you gotta put Danny Amendola in the backfield. I don't care if you get nothing in return. Would rather see a JAG back there getting 3 YPC instead of three established starters acting like JAGs.

Mills - based on his own performance, and the God awful game plans that Kelly throws out there, the kid needs to sit and learn. I can see the potential, but this environment is not conducive to him learning/growing. Get him mentally ready to compete next year.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
RB's - get rid of all three before Game 8. I don't care if you gotta put Danny Amendola in the backfield. I don't care if you get nothing in return. Would rather see a JAG back there getting 3 YPC instead of three established starters acting like JAGs.
It's time to give Phillips a shot... I would hang onto Ingram until another back up could be brought in... gots to be someone on a PS somewhere

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Here’s my worry, Tim Kelly isn’t good enough so you sack Tim Kelly and give Davis Mills a year to develop with a new OC. If that year doesn’t work out (and for me, sure he can do plenty of the things that NFL QBs do, but he isn’t doing any of it consistently enough to build drive after drive).

So you get to year 3 of the Culley/Caserio regime starting afresh with either a rookie or reclaimation project QB.

I’m not sold on Mills, I’m happy to keep him around holding a clipboard, but I think we’ll need to roll the dice this coming off season on someone with a chance to do better.

And yeah, it’s time for Tyrod again, as soon as he is fit, because we need a QB who can do enough to assess some of the other offensive pieces.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Here’s my worry, Tim Kelly isn’t good enough so you sack Tim Kelly and give Davis Mills a year to develop with a new OC. If that year doesn’t work out (and for me, sure he can do plenty of the things that NFL QBs do, but he isn’t doing any of it consistently enough to build drive after drive).

So you get to year 3 of the Culley/Caserio regime starting afresh with either a rookie or reclaimation project QB.

I’m not sold on Mills, I’m happy to keep him around holding a clipboard, but I think we’ll need to roll the dice this coming off season on someone with a chance to do better.

And yeah, it’s time for Tyrod again, as soon as he is fit, because we need a QB who can do enough to assess some of the other offensive pieces.
I agree with most of the things you said.

Except for one thing: How do we know Kelly is a bad OC when the rookie QB is so green; not to mention the Oline and the backs.

I hope we see TT soon, and in full health, before the season totally slips away.
When the majority of the players stop pulling for one another, it will be hard for the few that do.

welsh texan

I agree with most of the things you said.

Except for one thing: How do we know Kelly is a bad OC when the rookie QB is so green; not to mention the Oline and the backs.

I hope we see TT soon, and in full health, before the season totally slips away.
When the majority of the players stop pulling for one another, it will be hard for the few that do.
I’m not a fan of Tim Kelly, it wasn’t winning football last season despite Watson looking great.
The season before the game plans were really up and down, the down weeks are awful.
The run game I don’t know where the blame lies, the RBs he’s had have been successful elsewhere, but not for us. The OL we’ve spent money and high picks on, could be that he’s been unlucky that all the players are past it, I wouldn’t argue against that, yet he’s had 3 years and we don’t threaten to dominate on the ground, and both HCs would preach that they are run first coaches.

I completely agree that Tim Kelly has been dealt a rough hand, but he hasn’t convinced me to stick with it.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I’m not a fan of Tim Kelly, it wasn’t winning football last season despite Watson looking great.
The season before the game plans were really up and down, the down weeks are awful.
The run game I don’t know where the blame lies, the RBs he’s had have been successful elsewhere, but not for us. The OL we’ve spent money and high picks on, could be that he’s been unlucky that all the players are past it, I wouldn’t argue against that, yet he’s had 3 years and we don’t threaten to dominate on the ground, and both HCs would preach that they are run first coaches.

I completely agree that Tim Kelly has been dealt a rough hand, but he hasn’t convinced me to stick with it.
Yeah O'Brien got a lot of the blame but I still think some of it was on Tim Kelly.

banned1976

sleeper mode

The only offensive piece that the Texans need more evaluating on, IMO, is Nico Collins. We know what the 3 running backs are capable of doing. The offensive line consist of pretty much the same guys as last year with Watson. Except for Brevin Jordan, who I guess hasn't progressed enough to be playing, all the TE's are veterans.

This is a very veteran heavy team. Other than a very select few, there's plenty of tape on all these guys. Which is why I was expecting this season to be abysmal. There was tape on a lot of these guys and the tape wasn't a how-to guide of playing good football.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I don't think for one second that you honestly believe Kelly is a good OC working with bad talent.
I don't know if he's good and/or had improved from last year.

What I know is that some here often bring up the Patriots game to say that Mills had improved.

And then, there was the first half of the Browns game where the Texans scored 14 points.

I'd like to see a healthy TT operating another 6-7 games to see how things really are with Kelly as the OC.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

The offense was middle of the pack last year.
It can easily be argued that with a better defense, the O can have more time on the field, with better field position.
They should be able to score more than they did.

This year, Kelly is learning and getting more inputs from the other new coaches, and I already saw some new wrinkles.

I would have liked to see how the team operates with TT in the second half of the Brown game, and so on.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It's time to give Phillips a shot... I would hang onto Ingram until another back up could be brought in... gots to be someone on a PS somewhere
Yep, if Cleveland's 3rd string RB looks that good, why cant the Texans find a guy like that. Of course running behind the Browns OL is light yrs ahead of running behind the Texans OL.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Yep, if Cleveland's 3rd string RB looks that good, why cant the Texans find a guy like that. Of course running behind the Browns OL is light yrs ahead of running behind the Texans OL.
Funny...

Nineteen players, or nearly a third of the roster, appeared on the list. Seven of them were from the offense, and all seven were players normally in the starting lineup. The Browns were dealing with injuries to their starting quarterback, both starting tackles, both starting receivers and both starting running backs.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
We're starting to get a better picture of this kid.
For someone so raw and inexperienced, he is showing some ability.
One cannot but wonder what he might be with a good line and running game - they don't have to be the best in the league, just good enough to take enough pressure off him to allow him to grow.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Yeah O'Brien got a lot of the blame but I still think some of it was on Tim Kelly.
Knowing what we know about O'Brien. Do you think he would sit back and let Kelly ruin his precious version of the Patriots' offense? Kelly did what O'Brien allowed him to do.

welsh texan

Knowing what we know about O'Brien. Do you think he would sit back and let Kelly ruin his precious version of the Patriots' offense? Kelly did what O'Brien allowed him to do.
The most compelling garbage time performance in recent memory is enough to give me some hope that Mills could turn the corner.

The OC that gameplanned 0 points until the D started playing their backups does not get that pass. 3 years as OC, 12 months since OB left, and an off-season to make changes he wanted.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
We're starting to get a better picture of this kid.
For someone so raw and inexperienced, he is showing some ability.
One cannot but wonder what he might be with a good line and running game - they don't have to be the best in the league, just good enough to take enough pressure off him to allow him to grow.
I’m very interested to see what Tyrod looks like when he comes back (presumably next week).

Will he pick up where he left off?

If he does, how much of it is because he faces weaker teams than the baptism by fire Mills has gone through?

If the offense looks like the first 6 quarters of the season again, does that mean Kelly can be a competent OC with a QB in the mold of Tyrod?

Right now, i’m not sold on investing a high pick in a QB with the current offensive coaches/scheme. I want a coach that can implement a successful running game with proven success before investing another high pick in a QB.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I’m very interested to see what Tyrod looks like when he comes back (presumably next week).

If he does, how much of it is because he faces weaker teams than the baptism by fire Mills has gone through?

If the offense looks like the first 6 quarters of the season again, does that mean Kelly can be a competent OC with a QB in the mold of Tyrod?

Right now, i’m not sold on investing a high pick in a QB with the current offensive coaches/scheme. I want a coach that can implement a successful running game with proven success before investing another high pick in a QB.
The Dolphins been playing some competitive football. Unfortunately week in and week out they come up short

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

Tend to agree as there does not appear to be a top flight QB prospect in this draft anyway.
Build your line and running game and the current ones may well be more than sufficient.
Why bring another rookie into a bad situation?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Tend to agree as there does not appear to be a top flight QB prospect in this draft anyway.
Build your line and running game and the current ones may well be more than sufficient.
Why bring another rookie into a bad situation?
Trade Mills for a first round pick (because that's where I heard he'd be taken in the next draft.)

Bring in another vet, keeping Taylor if the cost isn't prohibitive.
(I heard the Texans will have plenty of cap space).

Depending on what the Watson's trade may bring, draft a QB accordingly and let him sit and learn.

Give him some time late in the years to evaluate his play.

Plan for 2023 accordingly.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Trade Mills for a first round pick (because that's where I heard he'd be taken in the next draft.)

Bring in another vet, keeping Taylor if the cost isn't prohibitive.
(I heard the Texans will have plenty of cap space).

Depending on what the Watson's trade may bring, draft a QB accordingly and let him sit and learn.

Give him some time late in the years to evaluate his play.

Plan for 2023 accordingly.
I really can't see anyone giving us a first for Mills.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
I know some are going to write off his garbage time stats, but my perspective is that Mills is a backup QB working with a backup OL and and backup RB's. For the first time since the Patriots game, the playing field was leveled a bit against a defense and he again showed that potential.

And no, that does not mean I think he is right now today a starting QB in this league, much less a franchise guy. He needs to sit whenever TT finally is ready and do some more developing, but would have been nice to see him play more against average or bad defenses during these last 5-6 games. He's been through a trial by fire.

Number19

Hall of Fame
It's obvious QB's operate within the confines of the offensive scheming of their coordinators game plan. There was a comment on 610 this morning from a national media source, and discussing the rookie QB's, that it is obvious that Mac Jones benefits playing in New England and were he playing elsewhere, would not be doing as well as he is in NE.

This being said, comparing the rookie QB's, you can only go by whatever systems are available to rank the QB's and the key here is consistency within the system over a period of time. We're at the mid-point of the season.

Mac Jones is on top with a quarterback rating of 90.1. Mills is second with 80.2.

Followed by Lawrence, 74.0; Fields, 65.7; and Wilson, 63.5.

I'm thinking it likely that Taylor starts against the Fins on Sunday, so it's a good time to see just where our 3rd round QB is ranking in comparison to the 1st round QB's.

My source is Wednesday's Chronicle.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
It's obvious QB's operate within the confines of the offensive scheming of their coordinators game plan. There was a comment on 610 this morning from a national media source, and discussing the rookie QB's, that it is obvious that Mac Jones benefits playing in New England and were he playing elsewhere, would not be doing as well as he is in NE.

This being said, comparing the rookie QB's, you can only go by whatever systems are available to rank the QB's and the key here is consistency within the system over a period of time. We're at the mid-point of the season.

Mac Jones is on top with a quarterback rating of 90.1. Mills is second with 80.2.

Followed by Lawrence, 74.0; Fields, 65.7; and Wilson, 63.5.

I'm thinking it likely that Taylor starts against the Fins on Sunday, so it's a good time to see just where our 3rd round QB is ranking in comparison to the 1st round QB's.

My source is Wednesday's Chronicle.
First of all, those are passer rating's. That only takes into account completion percentage, yards and TD, INT. A bit limited.

When you get to actual QB rating, where a lot more factors are taken into account, like game situations, down and distance and things of that nature, where racking up garbage time stats won't blow up your rating like passer rating will, it's a little different story.

QB Rating
Jones - 52.9
Lawrence - 34.7
Mills - 29.2
Fields - 25.9
Wilson - 23.1

Sure, Mills is still better than Fields and Wilson, but man, those numbers are bad, and there's not much difference in how they all impact games. It's like saying solid **** is better than runny ****. And for reference, the top 10 in QB rating are 60+ with Stafford leading the way at 77.6.
50 is average.

So an 80.2 passer rating for Mills might appear to be pretty decent, his 29.2 QB rating is garbage. And if you want to compare him to those 1st rounders, that's fine and all, but it doesn't change the 29.2. Who cares if he's better than Wilson or Fields or whoever? Those QBs don't play for the Texans. The QB who does has a 29.2, and that's not very good no matter where you were drafted.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
First of all, those are passer rating's. That only takes into account completion percentage, yards and TD, INT. A bit limited.

When you get to actual QB rating, where a lot more factors are taken into account, like game situations, down and distance and things of that nature, where racking up garbage time stats won't blow up your rating like passer rating will, it's a little different story.

QB Rating
Jones - 52.9
Lawrence - 34.7
Mills - 29.2
Fields - 25.9
Wilson - 23.1

Sure, Mills is still better than Fields and Wilson, but man, those numbers are bad, and there's not much difference in how they all impact games. It's like saying solid **** is better than runny ****. And for reference, the top 10 in QB rating are 60+ with Stafford leading the way at 77.6.
50 is average.

So an 80.2 passer rating for Mills might appear to be pretty decent, his 29.2 QB rating is garbage. And if you want to compare him to those 1st rounders, that's fine and all, but it doesn't change the 29.2. Who cares if he's better than Wilson or Fields or whoever? Those QBs don't play for the Texans. The QB who does has a 29.2, and that's not very good no matter where you were drafted.
does it take into account zero running game?

76Texan

Hall of Fame

QB Rating
Jones - 52.9
Lawrence - 34.7
Mills - 29.2
Fields - 25.9
Wilson - 23.1

50 is average.

As steelb likes to put it; where's the win?

Wilson won a game against the Titans
The Jets are dead last in running the ball.

Fields won two games, one of them against the 5-2 Raiders.
Fields is the leading ypa guy on his team (5.5) vs the lead back (4.3).
Actually, the no. 1 RB, Montgomery, is on the shelf.

The poor running game is partially on Mills.
Teams have been daring him to go to the air; they can stack the box as long as Mills can't prove himself.
His poor play fake doesn't help either.
Teams can tell right away whether it's a run or a pass and react accordingly.

Obviously, not everything is on him, but right now, he's not playing winning ball.
He's best at getting his yards when the D is playing prevent defense.
Points is what matters.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

QB Rating
Jones - 52.9
Lawrence - 34.7
Mills - 29.2
Fields - 25.9
Wilson - 23.1

50 is average.

Using your stats , he's close to Lawrence and has played much tougher defenses

Number19

Hall of Fame
The coaching emphasis has been to protect Mills and to emphasize protecting the ball with no turnovers. It appears to be a middle road between letting him ride the bench and turning him loose.

Thinking about this, it may not be a bad coaching decision. We'll just have to wait until next season to see how sucessful this will turn out.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
The coaching emphasis has been to protect Mills and to emphasize protecting the ball with no turnovers. It appears to be a middle road between letting him ride the bench and turning him loose.

Thinking about this, it may not be a bad coaching decision. We'll just have to wait until next season to see how sucessful this will turn out.
Considering that strategy led to Mills throwing 7 TDs, 8 INTs and only two games where he has averaged more than 6 yards gained per pass attempted, what did they have to lose by turning him loose? Exactly what was gained from this strategy?

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Considering that strategy led to Mills throwing 7 TDs, 8 INTs and only two games where he has averaged more than 6 yards gained per pass attempted, what do they have to lose by turning him loose? Exactly what was gained from this strategy?
Texans aren’t really in a position to allow Mills to be turned loose. I don’t think he could stay upright in the pocket long enough for long routes to be executed. The running game hasn’t forced defenses to change their strategy one iota this whole season. Defenses know that the only game plan needed for the Texans is an all out blitz b/c it can easily kill two birds with one stone…..crush the run if it gets in the way and collapse the pocket in less than 1.8 seconds.

If I was going to seriously turn Mills loose it would involve quite a few 3WR / 2TE sets executing quick slants while having 1 receiver running to the dead spot in the defense. Make it easy and fast.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Considering that strategy led to Mills throwing 7 TDs, 8 INTs and only two games where he has averaged more than 6 yards gained per pass attempted, what did they have to lose by turning him loose? Exactly what was gained from this strategy?
Perhaps you should ask Cully. How do you expect me to know what is in his mind? And, I don't particularly like their game planning strategy. Mills has shown he is at his best in an uptempo game and I think they should have been doing this from the start of the game.