Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Pick 67] Davis Mills QB Stanford

So you're not willing to give up a late 3 rounder to move up for a franchise QB?
Gotcha.
Thank you.
The Texans did not have a late 3rd round pick to use to trade up. And what "franchise" QB are you referring to. No one is calling Mills a franchise QB. I don't do hypothetical.

And dang, here I am responding to you when I had made up my mind not to.

The Texans did not have a late 3rd round pick to use to trade up. And what "franchise" QB are you referring to. No one is calling Mills a franchise QB. I don't do hypothetical.

And dang, here I am responding to you when I had made up my mind not to.
They have a future draft pick.

OK, let's be clear.
Do you think Mills have a very good chance to become a top ten QB?

So it sounds like Mond would have been their fallback pick if Davis was not there, and the Texans had been in contact with his agent conveying this information. The Mond family contact occurred toward the end of the 65th pick or just at the Vikings went on the clock (they got the text message and a "couple of minutes later" they got the phone call from the Vikings).
I've got a couple of problems with this.

1. I don't think QB should have been on the radar, unless there was one special prospect that fell to us. If there's two, they're not special.

2. Why would you call the fallback, tell him he's going to be the pick... if the primary is still on the board. What if the Vikings didn't take a QB & they were both there?

I don't believe the Mond family are lying in any case. Misunderstanding what took place, maybe. Repeating lies told to them, maybe.

Either way, it doesn't make sense to me & makes me like the pick even less.

I believe from the beginning of the conversation it is easy to ascertain this is the first call the the Texans made to Mills. Unless of course you want to believe something entirely different than what your ears actually heard and what your eyes actually saw. Kool Aid will do that to you.

Perhaps in your imagination it appears as such... There's no deducing that conclusion from the linked video. You're going to pull a muscle reaching this hard.

Let's be honest, if a 3rd round QB who was the 8th QB selected becomes a middle of the road starter for us we should consider ourselves very lucky. If that QB becomes a top 10 QB for us we should consider ourselves having won the lottery. The only two things I feel strongly about are that we are going to be very bad and get a top 5 pick next year and that we HAVE to start Mills for a minimum of 5-6 games in 2021 to see if we think we can try to roll with him beyond 2021 or if we will need to select a QB top 5 in the 2022 draft.

2. Why would you call the fallback, tell him he's going to be the pick... if the primary is still on the board. What if the Vikings didn't take a QB & they were both there?
Right. Why is Caserio making these call prior to being on the clock. Has anyone in the media asked him? I would really like an explanation.

They have a future draft pick.

OK, let's be clear.
Do you think Mills have a very good chance to become a top ten QB?
At this point in the season, I don't have an opinion one way or the other. I'll wait until next January after seeing Mills start after the bye. The Texans drafted Mills and I believe in giving him a chance to prove himself.

I believe in the reality of the situation and not in harping on the disillusionment of a fantasy.

Last edited:
I think Mills was the primary target all along and Mond was the backup plan if Mills was off the board.

Personally, I thought Mills would be off the board and did little research on him before the draft. Mond on the other hand was a QB I was projecting as a RD5 target and blame C-19 for over inflating these guys values as the draft neared. I figured Mills would be gone in RD4. After the draft and the Mills pick was in, I started looking at him and his film. He’s got the tools to be a solid QB1 but we just need to give him time.

And yet, multiple reports conflict with this story. Mills' sister claims they called him during the 2nd round to tell him they were going to draft him at 67 if he was available. So who's full of **** and why is your made up story more believable than any other?
I’ve seen nothing to support the claim that the Texans called in the second round. Listening to Mills press conference not only did he not mention that call but said he was really surprised when the Texans did call to tell him they were going to select him. Said he had very little contact with them pre draft. Pep mentioned that he has followed Mills since high school and indicated he followed him at Stanford through his close association with Shaw. Baller seems right. This was a Pep pick. Texans were also impressed with how he handled the weather obstacles at his pro day and made all the throws. IF the Texans called Mond before the Vikings pick perhaps they were trying to put a little ruse pressure on the Vikes. Vikings were one of only five or six teams that attended Monds pro day.

I’ve seen nothing to support the claim that the Texans called in the second round. Listening to Mills press conference not only did he not mention that call but said he was really surprised when the Texans did call to tell him they were going to select him. Said he had very little contact with them pre draft. Pep mentioned that he has followed Mills since high school and indicated he followed him at Stanford through his close association with Shaw. Baller seems right. This was a Pep pick. Texans were also impressed with how he handled the weather obstacles at his pro day and made all the throws. IF the Texans called Mond before the Vikings pick perhaps they were trying to put a little ruse pressure on the Vikes. Vikings were one of only five or six teams that attended Monds pro day.
I first posted this at #149 with a link at #178. This was a Chronicle interview, with Davis' sister, by Dale Robinson. My link is behind the Chronicle pay wall and zshawn10, at post #189 posted the story.

I read this Sunday, May 2nd in the Chronicle newspaper, so the interview would have occurred on Saturday, following the pick on Friday.

The important sentence read, "...Ali, who’s 24, said the Texans had phoned during the second round to tell Davis they would be drafting him if were still available, although she said they didn’t sound confident that he would still be around when they finally entered the fray with the 67th pick."

Dale Robinson is reporting in the Chronicle this morning that the Texans called Mills in the 2nd round (doesn't say when) and informed him he would be the Texans selection if he was still there. There was a tense moment during Minnesota's selection. Mills' older sister lives in Houston and was pulling for the Texans selection.
Do you have a link for this?

The article doesn't say Caserio called specifically.

The three Mills siblings — the oldest, 26-year-old Erin, is an attorney in Atlanta — were gathered together at their parents’ home in Fulton, Ga., anxiously waiting to see how things played out. Ali, who’s 24, said the Texans had phoned during the second round to tell Davis they would be drafting him if were still available, although she said they didn’t sound confident that he would still be around when they finally entered the fray with the 67th pick.

The tension in the room grew palpable when Minnesota went on the clock, one selection ahead of Houston. The Vikings, after all, were also in the market for a quarterback. But they tabbed Texas A&M’s Kellen Mond and, when Mills’ phone rang almost simultaneously, “we all went just dead quiet,” she said.

So was it Caserio that called? Someone else? Maybe a bald someone else?

Need to know about new Texans QB Davis Mills? Ask his sister
Dale Robertson, Houston Chronicle

In the conference call with Mills shortly after the Texans took him, he had mentioned he had a sister in Houston, adding, “She just got a place of her own. I might be able to sneak into one of her bedrooms and save some money.”

The three Mills siblings — the oldest, 26-year-old Erin, is an attorney in Atlanta — were gathered together at their parents’ home in Fulton, Ga., anxiously waiting to see how things played out. Ali, who’s 24, said the Texans had phoned during the second round to tell Davis they would be drafting him if were still available, although she said they didn’t sound confident that he would still be around when they finally entered the fray with the 67th pick.

Kyle Trask was the last pick of the second round. So why would Texans tell Mond's agent they were drafting him after they had told Mills they were drafting him? Why would you call a guy before you're on the clock? Don't know, unless they were trying to game the draft a little bit. Regardless, I'd be more inclined to believe Mills' sister, who volunteered that info and isn't involved in the NFL in any way, than Mond's agent who might have been talking out of turn. We've seen agents say things to clients during the draft that didn't come true. Like Drew Rosenhaus telling Jawaan Taylor over and over that he was going to be selected in the first round. Heard Sam Ehlinger's agent kept telling him that the Titans were drafting him. Neither came to be.

What we do know is Pep Hamilton had been scouting Mills since high school:

PASSING GAME COORDINATOR / QUARTERBACKS COACH PEP HAMILTON
What did you think about QB Davis Mills as a prospect and his progress so far in the offseason?
“I’ll tell you what, I had the opportunity to evaluate Davis way back when he was in high school. Good friend of mine, former colleague, David Shaw, we often talked about the kid that was coming out of Georgia. Lo and behold, I had a chance to follow his career during his time at Stanford as well. He shows tremendous promise. He’s working hard just like the rest of our guys. We’ll see. We’ll see where the skillset will take him.”

But still, Mills is a third round QB who some feel is very unlikely to spend much time in the NFL. Even less so with Mond, who was for much of his college career pretty unwatchable.

The article doesn't say Caserio called specifically.

So was it Caserio that called? Someone else? Maybe a bald someone else?
I never said or inferred that it was Caserio who called. I simply said the Texans. I first heard that it was Caserio yesterday, when Steelb posted this information.

Not that I care for Mond (I haven't watched him much at all), but he played against much, much better defenses/teams than Mills.

The Aggies D was pretty good, but far from great.
He does have good run support, but he himself is a fair part of it.

Where is the misdirection? He's calling the player he wants to pick before he's on the clock.

How about this misdirection? Keep you yap shut until you are on the clock. Like everyone else does.

Caserio could be trying to create buzz around a player they don’t want to get the player they do.

Are you believing that GMs don’t create smokescreens or other things to protect their pick?

Not that I care for Mond (I haven't watched him much at all), but he played against much, much better defenses/teams than Mills.

The Aggies D was pretty good, but far from great.
He does have good run support, but he himself is a fair part of it.
I don't believe he had one of his WR drafted by the NFL. He is probably better than his stats indicate.

Caserio could be trying to create buzz around a player they don’t want to get the player they do.

Are you believing that GMs don’t create smokescreens or other things to protect their pick?

Rather than speak in generalities, tell me how calling Mills to tell him he will be the pick, before the Texans are on the clock, is a smokescreen.

BTW, smokescreens as you call them, are off the record comments to reporters. In the hopes the rumor will take the focus off the team’s intended target. Nothing like what we are discussing.

Who was that reporter during Mills presser that kept pressing him HARD about his sisters? He even has Davis spelling out their names, he wanted their ages and was even trying to get info on what they did for a living. Dude was obnoxious and I don’t know why Davis didnt Tell him to STFU. Was that Dale Robertson asking those questions? If so the plot thickens.

Rather than speak in generalities, tell me how calling Mills to tell him he will be the pick, before the Texans are on the clock, is a smokescreen.

BTW, smokescreens as you call them, are off the record comments to reporters. In the hopes the rumor will take the focus off the team’s intended target. Nothing like what we are discussing.

In 1982 Dick Vermeil (Philly) told his BFF Chuck Knox (Buffalo) that they were high on a Clemson WR. Buffalo then traded up to snatch said WR (Perry Tuttle) right before Philly had a chance to draft him. So then Philly ends up with Mike Quick.

If you tell someone you want something that creates interest.

By telling unwanted player they will be then the player then tells the coach that then tells agent that then tells everyone to get people who are are trying to decide between that player and another to get that player because there are others that want him. That’s leaves the player they truly wanted available. I am surprised I had to connect the dots for you.

Meanwhile it’s just a smokescreen: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/smoke screen

Do you think that all the players the teams bring in to try out are players they are always interested in?

In 1982 Dick Vermeil (Philly) told his BFF Chuck Knox (Buffalo) that they were high on a Clemson WR. Buffalo then traded up to snatch said WR (Perry Tuttle) right before Philly had a chance to draft him. So then Philly ends up with Mike Quick.

By telling unwanted player they will be then the player then tells the coach that then tells agent that then tells everyone to get people who are are trying to decide between that player and another to get that player because there are others that want him. That’s leaves the player they truly wanted available. I am surprised I had to connect the dots for you.

Meanwhile it’s just a smokescreen: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/smoke screen

Do you think that all the players the teams bring in to try out are players they are always interested in?

It’s only bad whenever the Texans do it

And what does any of that have to do with the Texans calling Mills regarding their intentions prior to being on the clock?

The post above is a smokescreen. By a poster trying to avoid answering a question.

I think Mills was the primary target all along and Mond was the backup plan if Mills was off the board.

Personally, I thought Mills would be off the board and did little research on him before the draft. Mond on the other hand was a QB I was projecting as a RD5 target and blame C-19 for over inflating these guys values as the draft neared. I figured Mills would be gone in RD4. After the draft and the Mills pick was in, I started looking at him and his film. He’s got the tools to be a solid QB1 but we just need to give him time.

What no one is really talking about is that HOU was taking a QB at 67.
Period.

Clearly “Oily” is as good as gone.
Which is the source of much butthurt here.

Not that I have anything to do with the fight, but I found this:

I don't see any smoke screen there, do you?

Also, I found it funny that Vermeil lost his job because "his guy" caught only 10 balls that year and the Eagles went 3-6.

Last edited:
Not that I have anything to do with the fight, but I found this:

I don't see any smoke screen there, do you?

Also, I found it funny that Vermeil lost his job because "his guy" caught only 10 balls that year and the Eagles went 3-6.

What does the first (and only) sentence in my second paragraph say?

It says if you tell someone you want something it will create internet. In the example I gave Dick Vermeil lost out on the player he wanted who eventually flamed out. He lost that player because he told someone who he wanted. Philly lucked into having a long term All Pro/Pro Bowl/NFL Receiving Yards leader player which is an irrelevant detail to example.

The smoke screen would be telling someone you want something when you don’t which is a assumption/conspiracy I created to go along with all the other assumptions/conspiracy.

I feel like eventually I will need to start using hand puppets to explain stuff.

Didn’t the Cowgirls take the WR from Stanford?
Yes. Fehoko was drafted in the 5th.
I really wanted HOU to grab him.

I didn't really like him.

He's got speed but isn't a good enough route runner or is to stuff to be more than a bottom of the roster or PS guy. Unless he's a stud ST"a guy like the guy who used to play for the Chargers.

I didn't really like him.

He's got speed but isn't a good enough route runner or is to stuff to be more than a bottom of the roster or PS guy. Unless he's a stud ST"a guy like the guy who used to play for the Chargers.
He’s the kinda guy I bet ends up on NE and is awesome.
I like that he’s got great hands and always finds a way to get open.
I wouldn’t have a problem in the 5th. The 3rd? No.
I think Nico was a steal there. I really like both 3rd round picks.

What does the first (and only) sentence in my second paragraph say?

It says if you tell someone you want something it will create internet. In the example I gave Dick Vermeil lost out on the player he wanted who eventually flamed out. He lost that player because he told someone who he wanted. Philly lucked into having a long term All Pro/Pro Bowl/NFL Receiving Yards leader player which is an irrelevant detail to example.

The smoke screen would be telling someone you want something when you don’t which is a assumption/conspiracy I created to go along with all the other assumptions/conspiracy.

I feel like eventually I will need to start using hand puppets to explain stuff.
In the article I found, Vermeil said he was ready to take Tuttle but the Bills snatched him up so he took Mike Quick.

He was OK with Quick, but Tuttle was the guy he wanted.

I think you just used the wrong example; that's all.

He has as much talent as any QB in that draft.

How he develops is anybody's guess.
You forgot that reading defense is also a talent; so is recognizing the change post-snap.
Accuracy and throwing muddy are also talent.
The difference may seem minuscule but the problem can exacerbate with more pressure.

In the article I found, Vermeil said he was ready to take Tuttle but the Bills snatched him up so he took Mike Quick.

He was OK with Quick, but Tuttle was the guy he wanted.

I think you just used the wrong example; that's all.

Lol. One more time:

No, per my previous post the example was to show you tell something to someone it creates interest. That’s why Tuttle was snatched up prior to Vermeil’s pick. Vermeil got his second choice, not his first.

Which if you want to fool people then you tell people you are interested in a player you aren’t really interested in to get the player you are interested in.

giphy.gif

Lol. One more time:

No, per my previous post the example was to show you tell something to someone it creates interest. That’s why Tuttle was snatched up prior to Vermeil’s pick. Vermeil got his second choice, not his first.

Which if you want to fool people then you tell people you are interested in a player you aren’t really interested in to get the player you are interested in.

giphy.gif
I understand that.
But in this case, Vermeil indicates that he didn't.
Maybe he did, but in that article, he said otherwise.
Maybe he was just throwing out different things for the reporters to have things to write about.

You forgot that reading defense is also a talent; so is recognizing the change post-snap.
Accuracy and throwing muddy are also talent.
The difference may seem minuscule but the problem can exacerbate with more pressure.
Actually everything you listed has been touted as his strong points so I guess we are in good hands. dM said in an earlier interview that reading defenses is what he likes to do most.

Actually everything you listed has been touted as his strong points so I guess we are in good hands. dM said in an earlier interview that reading defenses is what he likes to do most.
Mills' weakness at Stanford was his performance under pressure, when he lost footwork and reacted poorly. But this is coachable and improvement comes with experience and confidence. Mills has the natural, gifted talent and tools. Now, he just needs coaching and experience.

Yes, but he also passed for 428 yds with 3 TD's and pulled out a win for the Cardinals.

One of your gripes is that Mills is a game manager. This game shows he is a play maker when the situation dictates it.
Enough has already been said.

I will just leave you guys with some parting thoughts on this matter.

Guys that check all the boxes (physique, arm, atheliticism, smart, playmaker, yada yada) don't go in the third round, behind 7 other guys in this day and age.

Peyton, Luck, Herbert, etc. all were tagged as first rounders before they decided to go back to college.

Even Eli was.
Even Trubisky was.

No more on Mills for me for a long while.

Ciao.

Last edited:
He’s a third round QB... most likely won’t amount to much.

Thankfully we’re in rebuild mode & don’t require much.

Yes, but he also passed for 428 yds with 3 TD's and pulled out a win for the Cardinals.

One of your gripes is that Mills is a game manager. This game shows he is a play maker when the situation dictates it.
Fun fact.
In Dan Marino’s most crucial college game vs Penn State.....
Marino threw 5 INTS.

PITT was considered the favorite to win the National Title that year. But instead, PENN ST won it. And QB Todd Blackledge was drafted 7th In that years 1st round.

Dan Marino went on to play a very short, and meaningless career in the NFL never amounting to anything, ever.

Fun fact.
In Dan Marino’s most crucial college game vs Penn State.....
Marino threw 5 INTS.

PITT was considered the favorite to win the National Title that year. But instead, PENN ST won it. And QB Todd Blackledge was drafted 7th In that years 1st round.

Dan Marino went on to play a very short, and meaningless career in the NFL never amounting to anything, ever.

I have heard it suggested on here that QBs who throw multiple INTs in college are doomed to fail in the NFL. I have never heard of this “Marino” guy but it sounds like another story of a miserable failure after throwing multiple INTs in a college game! 😉

Back