Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Pick 67] Davis Mills QB Stanford

Goes back a long long way. IIRC we had a relative of David posting here a year or so.

Yeah. I realize that.

But I never paid attention to the second one referring to Watson.

Apparently I'm not the only one ignorant of the HWWNBM II referring to Deshaun Watson..

He gets more mention than the goings on at the team training site.

:coffee:

Was Russell Wilson a mistake when Seattle drafted him in the 3rd round?
Was it a mistake when Will Grier, Mason Rudolph, Davis Webb, Garrett Grayson, Sean Mannion, Mike Glennon, Ryan Mallett, Colt McCoy, Kevin O'Connell, Trent Edwards, Charlie Whitehurst, Brodie Croyle, Charlie Frye, Andrew Watler, and David Greene were all drafted in the 3rd round?

I love how some of y'all keep bringing up the very few who succeed and think it's the norm. "Russell Wilson in the 3rd. Tom Brady in the 6th, we got this".

Could Mills beat the odds? Sure he could. But that doesn't change what the odds are, and thus the risk. Russell Wilson is the one who hit big time. All of those others didn't.

Was it a mistake when Will Grier, Mason Rudolph, Davis Webb, Garrett Grayson, Sean Mannion, Mike Glennon, Ryan Mallett, Colt McCoy, Kevin O'Connell, Trent Edwards, Charlie Whitehurst, Brodie Croyle, Charlie Frye, Andrew Watler, and David Greene were all drafted in the 3rd round?

I love how some of y'all keep bringing up the very few who succeed and think it's the norm. "Russell Wilson in the 3rd. Tom Brady in the 6th, we got this".

Could Mills beat the odds? Sure he could. But that doesn't change what the odds are, and thus the risk. Russell Wilson is the one who hit big time. All of those others didn't.

You're right bud and my mistake for being a little more optimistic than you and a few others.

To me it doesn't matter if he's the next Tom Brady.

We just saw an elite, play-making QB get thrown on a half-assd built team & we couldn't get past the Div. Round.

We're going into that QBs 2nd contract & had less of a team than when he got here.

We have no business, imo, even looking at QB unless we're thinking he's a 3 year project & his 2nd contract is going to be way below 13% of the total cap, giving us a 4/5 year window to win it all.

Go & get your starter now, & the clock starts. & that leads to bad decision after bad decision, most of the time, trying to take advantage of a window that's not really there.

Yeah. I realize that.

But I never paid attention to the second one referring to Watson.

Apparently I'm not the only one ignorant of the HWWNBM II referring to Deshaun Watson..

He gets more mention than the goings on at the team training site.

The reason why is that I just decided to coin the new label...........which is bound to gain steam as time goes by.

I hope it works out. I really do. But I wouldn't have drafted a QB in 2021. That's my only point.

Me either. I would’ve went defensive in the 3rd round. I believe they selected a QB because of the defensive players that were acquired throughout the off season.

We can thank Watson for this crap. If he would’ve just honored that contract he just signed. We probably wouldn’t have to draft a quarterback hastily like we did.

The reason why is that I just decided to coin the new label...........which is bound to gain steam as time goes by.

I wish you good luck with that.

I imagine DW will still be a main topic six months from now.idonno:

Maybe we will find more interesting topics when training camp starts.

Me either. I would’ve went defensive in the 3rd round. I believe they selected a QB because of the defensive players that were acquired throughout the off season.

We can thank Watson for this crap. If he would’ve just honored that contract he just signed. We probably wouldn’t have to draft a quarterback hastily like we did.
If he had honored, I think we'd be in same position with him not being starting QB for most if not all season due to lawsuits; Taylor would still have been signed and fans still debating. Many believe Texans knew about DW's behavior before this blew up.

If he had honored, I think we'd be in same position with him not being starting QB for most if not all season due to lawsuits; Taylor would still have been signed and fans still debating. Many believe Texans knew about DW's behavior before this blew up.

Most definitely. He would've been suspended for 6-8 games. Tyrod would've been able to hold down the fort until then.

I believe they knew about it as well. Mainly Bill Obrien who he loved playing for. I'm very certain quite a few players knew about this as well, mainly Hopkins.

But hey we have to go with plan C which was draft a quarterback with upside. Hopefully Mills is that guy.

It's not Watson's fault they act hastily. That's on them. Watson put them in the position, but they're grown men (Cal excluded).

Even grown rich folks makes hasty decision when facing adversities brother. Watson not responding to their phone calls and these accusations could have them pushing the panic button. Thus the reason why they drafted Mills in the third round.

Even grown rich folks makes hasty decision when facing adversities brother. Watson not responding to their phone calls and these accusations could have them pushing the panic button. Thus the reason why they drafted Mills in the third round.
Still on them.

Valiant in war brother. We're called to be valiant in war.

I have wished for the Texans to spend draft capital on the QB position to develop a long time. Good young arms have been lacking even if you do have an elite QB like Watson. Bonus is if they turn into somebody of interest to other teams you can get a 2nd or even a 1st round pick in return.
Caserio also added a stud WR in the 3rd. Nico Collins. Better than most Texan draft hauls minus 1st and 2nds.

According to film, while I would have went DB or DL, Mills is not typical. And with polish could be a good QB. What Doc posted should be proof that he is not average. Now what happens when the lights are on is the question we will not have an answer to yet.

According to film, while I would have went DB or DL, Mills is not typical. And with polish could be a good QB. What Doc posted should be proof that he is not average. Now what happens when the lights are on is the question we will not have an answer to yet.

Go check out all the video clips I posted.

In those clips he made some really top notch throws, he made some decent plays, and he made some bad throws as well as a few head scratchers. He can make all the throws but is very inconsistent, especially when throwing the deep ones.

Tom Savage 2.0, until proven different. Mills is more athletic than Savage. But other than that, it's the same thing. A 5 star recruit out of high school, but for one reason or another didn't get the playing time we'd like to see.

Has to develop. Maybe he will, most likely won't. A third round pick is not a flyer you use on hopes & wishes.

Tom Savage 2.0, until proven different. Mills is more athletic than Savage. But other than that, it's the same thing. A 5 star recruit out of high school, but for one reason or another didn't get the playing time we'd like to see.

Has to develop. Maybe he will, most likely won't. A third round pick is not a flyer you use on hopes & wishes.

I'm not saying he is 100% going to be really good. I think he can be however. But until he is playing in a live game we will not know. I would have likely went with a DB or DL. But if he develops into a good game manager then it's not a bad pick. He could hold the fort while you build up the team until you are ready with a true franchise QB. We will have to wait and see what happens

I didn't know we could add to the list. Carr, Osweiler, Ricky, O'Brien, Easterby, Hopkins, Watson could all be on that list. Maybe we should just start a Ring of HWWNBM chapter.

We could, then someone's gonna add "Texans" to the list, what'll we talk about then? It'll all be in some kind of code and I'm to stoned most of the time to figure that sh!t out.

Teams take flyers in the first every year, I’d rather take a flyer like Mills in 3rd than trade the house away. There are no guarantees with any player outside blue chips and even they can get hurt or not produce put in the wrong situation.

Teams take flyers in the first every year, I’d rather take a flyer like Mills in 3rd than trade the house away. There are no guarantees with any player outside blue chips and even they can get hurt or not produce put in the wrong situation.
That’s fine. Your opinion is valid.

But so are the opinions of those who do not like taking a QB in this draft.

We can spin it all day long, but bottom line, chances of Davis Mills becoming a viable starting QB is slim & it’s my opinion if he takes the field in 2021 his odds drop to zero.

We can spin it all day long, but bottom line, chances of Davis Mills becoming a viable starting QB is slim & it’s my opinion if he takes the field in 2021 his odds drop to zero.

Mills skill set is greater than any Texan QB not named Watson. That includes He Who Must Not Be Named, selected #1 overall in 2002. That about runs the gambit doesn’t it. He’ll have a much better offensive line to work with, decent rotational backfield and better offensive coaching. Pep is a real miracle worker and Tyron is a very good mentor. I’m really not worried about him at all, don’t understand all this Mills hate because Texans used a 3rd rd. pick, come on man.

I served in the Coast Guard. But I think we came out with a different perspective. you must have cleaned shitters for four years?

I was on a buoy tender for a while, also on a "ocean station" ship back when the Coast Guard did that. I was a deck hand on the buoy tender and a radarman on the ocean station ship.

One of my deployments was doing drug interdiction between Cuba and Mexico. Our biggest bust was a Texas A&M research boat out of Galveston. No ****. Largest drug bust in Galveston history at that time. Full main hold of marijuana. had to testify. Guess who the defense attorney was. Hardin. He lost.

1970-1973 if I remember correctly. I joined the Coast Guard in 1970 to keep from toting a gun in the jungles of Vietnam because I got caught in Nixon's draft.
i got caught in the lottery. Number 5. My “lucky number” before then. Served a great four years. QM E-5. GI bill paid for college - UT. Active Reserve during school on weekends on a small boat doing safety inspections ( drug interdiction) in Port O’Conner.

i got caught in the lottery. Number 5. My “lucky number” before then. Served a great four years. QM E-5. GI bill paid for college - UT. Active Reserve during school on weekends on a small boat doing safety inspections ( drug interdiction) in Port O’Conner.

I'm always glad to hear of people who liked their time in the military, we need them. Myself, me and military life just don't mix. My brain doesn't work that way.

I'm always glad to hear of people who liked their time in the military, we need them. Myself, me and military life just don't mix. My brain doesn't work that way.
It helped my life. i may have been like you? But my mind just always sees good. Really, it does. It’s a beautiful life. Very intricate. Thank god. Edit. My first assignment was Laos If I remember right. River boat. Thank god the war ended then and I spent some great time on the Big Island of Hawaii!

Last edited:

Why do you think the odds drop to zero?

I hope we get to see Milss by game 6 or so.

Game 6 because Tyrod gets injured or because the Texans go 0-6?

If the Texans go 0-6, how much support do you think the rookie will get?

That's a disaster of a recipe, don't you think?

Throwing a rookie QB to the wolves? Everybody does that. LOL

The Texans done it with Carr and Watson. The Colts did it with Manning. So many other teams have done it as well.
See my above post.

The nearest example I can think of is CJ Beatheard, the Niners' third round pick. He did have a lot of experience in college though.

Hoyer went 0-6, but he's no Tyrod Taylor.
For TT to go 0-6, the team must be pretty bad, which is a possibility.
The Niners weren't that bad.
Anyhow, they turned to CJ and went 1-4.

So what they did?
They went out and traded for Jimmy G.
The end of the Beathard's experiment.

Jimmy G went 5-0 that year, so the Niners weren't all that bad.

Last edited:
Game 6 because Tyrod gets injured or because the Texans go 0-6?

If the Texans go 0-6, how much support do you think the rookie will get?

That's a disaster of a recipe, don't you think?
You may be jumping the gun. He will have to earn that #2 spot in TC. But if that scenario plays out and he puts any signs of life in the offense it may be the best opportunity he could possibly hope for. Texans are due some good news eventually. I mean if he’s up to the job, we trade DW and some of our rookies show up, with all the draft choices next year it will be interesting 🤞

Back