Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Pick 67] Davis Mills QB Stanford

Number19

Hall of Fame
Can you give us an example of what kind of inside info this might have been? I mean 11 games is 11 games. He red shirted & was still riding the bench until the starter got hurt. Two knee injuries.

I'm not down on Mills. I don't hate the pick. But like many, I don't understand it.

On the one hand one GM gets railed because he doesn't draft a QB in 12 years. On the other hand another GM gets railed because he drafts a QB the first chance he gets.

Can't make them all happy.
It's possible, in fact likely, they would have discussed his injury and his rehab. Heres's a link to a few things Shaw had to say about this to the news media:

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
It does not matter who the Texans pick. There are some that will think the pick is the greatest pick in the draft regardless. I also don't understand all the love for Pep Hamilton. He has had 15 jobs in 23 years. That does not scream great QB coaching guru. He does get fired a lot. He turned down OC at VaTech so he go to Indy to coach Andrew Luck who he coached at Stanford. He ended up getting fired after only 2 years on the job.
He has a lot of jobs, that is true. As part of a staff that was fired. But, Pep is a very good QB coach and his win/loss record speaks for itself.

Texian

Hall of Fame
He has a lot of jobs, that is true. As part of a staff that was fired. But, Pep is a very good QB coach and his win/loss record speaks for itself.
"We must be careful not to believe things simply because we want them to be true. No one can fool you as easily as you can fool yourself!" - Professor Richard Feynman

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
"We must be careful not to believe things simply because we want them to be true. No one can fool you as easily as you can fool yourself!" - Professor Richard Feynman
EXCEPT for when they are. Luck even endorsed him in the media for helping him. Luck never had to say that.

Jack Burton

Veteran
I'm Ok with the pick. Although I would've gone in a different direction.

Pep probably asked Shaw about Mills. Conversation probably went something like this.

Shaw; we have a talented young QB that's wet behing the ears but has a very bright future once he gets through a few growing pains.

Pep: Thanks for the info. Who does Mills remind you OF

Shaw: A little like a young Luck. Davis is a really smart guy like Luck was.

Pep: I can work with this.
He does remind folks, myself included, of Luck. I don’t know if it’s a Stanford training thing or just a coincidence but I like the idea of a young Luck who needs some seasoning on the team.
If it doesn’t work out, who cares. This team will be flush with high picks when the perv settles and is traded.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
And there will be some that will think it's worse pick ever as well. So many doom and gloom fans on here as well. Keep it 100 and tell both sides.

People were calling Bill Obrien a quarterback guru and a hard ash because of his one time interaction on the sideline with the Goat Tom Brady.
I have no idea if this is a good pick. I'm not into mock drafts and have little to no interest in evaluating college players. I leave that to the NFL GMs and scouts who get paid to evaluate for a living. However, once a player gets NFL playing time, based on my "lying" eyes, I will be more than willing to join the conversation(s). :popcorn:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Rumor is Saints were not happy with Mills medicals and why they passed on Mills with the 60th pick. Opted to take Ian Book in RD 4 instead. May also explain why Trask and Mond went before him. Would make sense.
The Saints never examined Mills. They essentially were generally worried about his knee history. His last MRI was in 2018,, there was no formal Combine, and he specifically showed no indication to require one since 2018.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Had our idiot GM struck while the iron was still hot and traded DW4 we could have added several early picks. I could see us getting a better prospect at QB! We still would have had enough early picks who would be more likely to fill more voids. As it stands this was most likely a wasted pick. It is not likely we have the next Tom Brady!
You do realize that even if Caserio had agreed to trade Watson as soon as he asked for it then it still wouldn’t have been official until AFTER the lawsuits came out and the NFL started their investigation right? So you understand that would have cancelled any trade so we would still be in the same situation right?

The only difference is now teams know what we were willing to trade him for which means they would have the advantage if we are ever able to trade Watson.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Can you give us an example of what kind of inside info this might have been? I mean 11 games is 11 games. He red shirted & was still riding the bench until the starter got hurt. Two knee injuries.

I'm not down on Mills. I don't hate the pick. But like many, I don't understand it.

On the one hand one GM gets railed because he doesn't draft a QB in 12 years. On the other hand another GM gets railed because he drafts a QB the first chance he gets.

Can't make them all happy.
I'd imagine Shaw would be much more honest with someone he has worked with extensively in the past than a random NFL contact asking the player. Isn't gonna blow smoke and tout the player up just to get them drafted. Will give him an honest assessment of the player, their practice habits, their character handling working their way back from injury and being a backup despite being a highly rated recruit, etc.

Dejaview

All Pro
I'd imagine Shaw would be much more honest with someone he has worked with extensively in the past than a random NFL contact asking the player. Isn't gonna blow smoke and tout the player up just to get them drafted. Will give him an honest assessment of the player, their practice habits, their character handling working their way back from injury and being a backup despite being a highly rated recruit, etc.
Here is the deal with this pick for me. If ever you want to take a shot outside the first couple of rounds on a QB which, btw, you need one then this guy seems perfectly suited from the round value standpoint to his physical attributes, mental attributes and excellent coaching in an NFL style O, etc. Picking a QB is ALWAYS controversial and the first thing people complain about is we needed a pick at another position but no other third rounder than a QB has the ability to transform a franchise. And don’t forget his future trade value. Folks bitching about building for the future can’t dismiss this point.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
We already had two developmental QBs on the team, there's no reason not to add a 3rd. Especially since one of them is going to start. Maybe one of the three might actually produce. It's not like they're going anywhere this season anyway.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
According to TK’s vid he came back, throwing strikes, to pull out the win. Resilient.
1. The Bruins ranked 73rd in points allowed.
2. Their 3 wins were against bottom dwellers that totaled 3 wins (and those wins were among the bottom dwellers).
3. They had a 7-pt lead with 1:43 to play at Stanford's 27. All they had to do is to kick a FG to put the game out of reach. But they tried to run one more play and botched the QB's exchange to the RB.
4. Mills fumbled the ball himself in OT, but luckily, his teammate recovered the ball.
5. The Cardinals needed a wildcat-TD run from their backup QB in OT; he actually had 2 for the game.
6. The Bruins tied the game, and decided to go for 2 but failed.
7. The Bruins had missed a chip shot FG (37 yards) earlier.
8. There will be no UCLA in the NFL

Texian

Hall of Fame
The Saints never examined Mills. They essentially were generally worried about his knee history. His last MRI was in 2018,, there was no formal Combine, and he specifically showed no indication to require one since 2018.
Right before the Saints picked #60 the discussion and general consensus was Saints would likely draft Davis Mills to fill the hole left by Drew Brees. When that didn't happen Daniel Jerimiah offered up the reason why the Saints were not comfortable with Davis Mills medicals. When Trask and Mond both were drafted ahead of Davis Mills when both were behind Mills on most public media draft boards, that gave additional ammo to the questionable Mills medicals.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
He certainly is not going to bad mouth or say anything negative about one of his players. That would be disastrous for recruiting. Every coach in the country would say how you throw your players under the bus. We all know of backlash Steve Spurrier got when he discussed Jadevion Clowney's poor work habits.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
There's a lot of Texans fans and posters here who think Caserio is a genius and can do no wrong. A few fans and posters here who think Caserio is a dunce who is your typical Belichick clerk. But the media as a whole have ripped Caserio to shreds and almost to a reporter they ask, how in the hell could Nick make Davis Mills his very first pick when he has so many damn holes to fill. I have yet to see a media person be complimentary of Caserio's draft and these folks are programmed to accentuate the positive and refrain from any negativity. A few have pointed out as though they had some background or inside info, that there could be reasons why New Orleans, Tampa Bay and Minnesota passed on Davis Mills. It does make you wonder when almost every media public draft board had Mills ahead of Mond and Trask.

I never called O'Brien a guru of anything. I always called him a Belichick clerk who held Tom Brady's clipboard. When I said that Kraft and Belichick shipped O'Brien out of town to Penn St after his sideline blow up with Brady, (where Belichick had to intervene) people thought I was crazy. And when I said the Penn St alumni were thrilled and overjoyed to see O'Brien pack his bags for Houston, Texans fans wanted to tar and feather me. I noted at the time that O'Brien did not get along with others and would be your typical Belichick clerk failure like all of the others. You only have to listen to Caserio for two minutes to know that he is completely clueless.

BTW Tampa had the best draft because they were drafting for 2023 and not 2021.
What in the blue hell are you smoking? The media has done nothing but rip the Texans pretty much since day 1 and they really started ripping them when Watson said he wanted out. Then the 22 suits came out and the message became "we should wait and see" all while still saying that not only were the Texans wrong for not supporting Watson but they should have to pay his full salary to. So I have no clue where you get this stuff about the media but its a much different media than I have seen.

BTW Tampa can afford to draft for 2023 because their QB apparently brings his own offensive weapons with him and all they have to do is keep the defense solid.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Right before the Saints picked #60 the discussion and general consensus was Saints would likely draft Davis Mills to fill the hole left by Drew Brees. When that didn't happen Daniel Jerimiah offered up the reason why is that the Saints were not comfortable with Davis Mills medicals. When Trask and Mond both were drafted ahead of Davis Mills when both were behind Mills on most public media draft boards, that gave additional credence to the questionable Mills medicals.
Except Jeremiah is not piped into the Saints conversation as the draft is unfolding. What he said was pure speculation & most likely had no bearing on the Saints decision.

I’m just saying you can’t take what those guys are saying as fact, especially not in a situation lol that.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
He certainly is not going to bad mouth or say anything negative about one of his players. That would be disastrous for recruiting. Every coach in the country would say how you throw your players under the bus. We all know of backlash Steve Spurrier got when he discussed Jadevion Clowney's poor work habits.
Can you see there is a little room between badmouthing a player and saying he’s great everything is rosy?

Particularly when talking to someone you have previously worked with in the past who you can discuss things with confidence it is not being leaked to the media?

Something as simple as, “He is or is not a good fit for your system/coaching style” is much different than outright bad mouthing a player.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Can you see there is a little room between badmouthing a player and saying he’s great everything is rosy?

Particularly when talking to someone you have previously worked with in the past who you can discuss things with confidence it is not being leaked to the media?

Something as simple as, “He is or is not a good fit for your system/coaching style” is much different than outright bad mouthing a player.
How about he's fairly accurate? FAIRLY???

Texian

Hall of Fame
Except Jeremiah is not piped into the Saints conversation as the draft is unfolding. What he said was pure speculation & most likely had no bearing on the Saints decision.

I’m just saying you can’t take what those guys are saying as fact, especially not in a situation lol that.
This retort sounds like speculation.

Texian

Hall of Fame
What in the blue hell are you smoking? The media has done nothing but rip the Texans
"I have yet to see a media person be complimentary of Caserio's draft and these folks are programmed to accentuate the positive and refrain from any negativity."

What do you think the above statement mean? Do you think I was saying the media is praising the Texans?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Right before the Saints picked #60 the discussion and general consensus was Saints would likely draft Davis Mills to fill the hole left by Drew Brees. When that didn't happen Daniel Jerimiah offered up the reason why is that the Saints were not comfortable with Davis Mills medicals. When Trask and Mond both were drafted ahead of Davis Mills when both were behind Mills on most public media draft boards, that gave additional credence to the questionable Mills medicals.
I trust CnD's thoughts on this subject.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
"I have yet to see a media person be complimentary of Caserio's draft and these folks are programmed to accentuate the positive and refrain from any negativity."

What do you think the above statement mean? Do you think I was saying the media is praising the Texans?
Let me clarify, they have done nothing but rip the Texans since the McNair "Inmate" comment and they weren't exactly a pep rally before that. Fact is the media wanted to see Watson in a bigger market and it burned them we drafted him to the point some are even shyly hinting still that the Texans had something to do with all this.

You do realize that even if Caserio had agreed to trade Watson as soon as he asked for it then it still wouldn’t have been official until AFTER the lawsuits came out and the NFL started their investigation right? So you understand that would have cancelled any trade so we would still be in the same situation right?

The only difference is now teams know what we were willing to trade him for which means they would have the advantage if we are ever able to trade Watson.
Got ya.

Let me clarify, they have done nothing but rip the Texans since the McNair "Inmate" comment and they weren't exactly a pep rally before that. Fact is the media wanted to see Watson in a bigger market and it burned them we drafted him to the point some are even shyly hinting still that the Texans had something to do with all this.
How is Houston not one of the biggest markets? Isn't Houston considered the fourth largest city in the US? How is Houston not considered a large market that athletes would want to play for and sports media would favor? I guess I just don't understand how all that works.

Number19

Hall of Fame
How is Houston not one of the biggest markets? Isn't Houston considered the fourth largest city in the US? How is Houston not considered a large market that athletes would want to play for and sports media would favor? I guess I just don't understand how all that works.
Houston just doesn't get the national respect and attention that New York, Chicago and LA get. How often is Houston the city/scene in the movies?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
It is but it’s still not considered a big market because it’s all plants and heavy industrial. Plus it’s hard for Houston to compete with fans when we are in the same state as Dallas. Add to that Texans are the youngest franchise in the league in a division teams that are either has beens or never was and it all equals to us not being considered a big market.

You have to remember when the NFL and media think of a big market they aren’t really looking at the size of a city or even how much of the fan base is drawn from that city. They are looking at national appeal which is why teams like Raiders and Cowboys are considered more prominent teams because the have world wide fan bases.

Now if Houston logged a couple of championships it might be different but then you still have the problem of being in the same state as the cowgirls.

Texansballer74

The Marine
You would have to ask the media heads this question. But for some reason they do not like Houston sports period. I remember when the Rockets won those two championship, they did not give us the media hype like they have done for every other team that won championships. What they did was spin it in the manner of Jordan being absent one of those years and the 2nd year he had just came back.

Dejaview

All Pro
You would have to ask the media heads this question. But for some reason they do not like Houston sports period. I remember when the Rockets won those two championship, they did not give us the media hype like they have done for every other team that won championships. What they did was spin it in the manner of Jordan being absent one of those years and the 2nd year he had just came back.
They don’t like cities whose residents work.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Don't really know why, maybe because he went to Stanford, but I thought Mills was a Californian. He's not. The Mills family are Georgians.

Robertson just reports that the Mills family were gathered at the parents home. Doesn't mention anything about an agent. If an agent were there, I don't see him calling other teams if the family wanted Houston to select him.
Hardy’s first descriptive words about Mills were “cool cat.” That’s both a good Queen song and a peak into Davis’ approach. Davis didn’t pick Stanford for instant on-field success. He chased a Cardinal offer because of academic prestige and a desire to be around like-minded people. Hardy remembers Davis hanging out with his future Stanford teammates Walker Little, Foster Sarell and Colby Parkinson at the 2017 All-American Bowl. The quartet clicked on a level beyond football as thinkers who approached the game (not to mention life) with a cerebral nature: “He was a pig in slop.”

Davis had a plan in recruiting. He wanted a Stanford offer and everything that represented – a degree, connections, an environment conducive to lifelong success – and waited. Mills received a dozen offers before the Cardinal officially entered the fray. Mills considered for a few months and committed.

A day after Mills announced for the Cardinal, Alabama called with an offer hoping to get into the mix.
“It didn’t really matter because he was who he was,” Hardy said.

“I made a decision that was well thought out, and it’s carried me to where I am today,” Mills said. “Stanford is a place where I can grow academically even when I’m not on the football field. So, I’ve done that. I’ve also put my head down and waited for my opportunity to play here.”
LINK

Texansballer74

The Marine
The offensive line will be different as well as coached better. The running game should be vastly improved. Watson had two major knee surgeries as well. We’re talking about a darn third round pick for crying out loud. The draft was screwed up way before Caserio got here. Thanks to Bill O’Brien and Deshaun Watson. If Watson doesn’t pull the crap he pulled Nick would have a couple of 1st and 2nd round picks to work with. Hey let’s not talk about the few picks that could be good as well.

Last edited:

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club
Houston just doesn't get the national respect and attention that New York, Chicago and LA get. How often is Houston the city/scene in the movies?
Terminator 2 along with these.
Part or all of these movies/shows either take place, or are set, in Houston, Texas or the surrounding area:

Stone in the Am (2021) - Set and filmed in Houston
The Houston Story (1956) - starring Gene Barry and Barbara Hale (of Perry Mason)
Hellfighters (1968) - with John Wayne
Brewster McCloud (1970) – first film to be filmed inside the Astrodome
The Getaway (1972) – filmed in Huntsville, Texas
The Thief Who Came to Dinner (1973) – set and filmed in Houston
Sugar Hill (1974) - set and filmed in Houston
The Sugarland Express (1974) – filmed on location at the Texas Department of Criminal Justice – Inmate Division Jester III Unit in Sugar Land, Texas
Together Brothers (1974) - filmed in Galveston, Texas
Rollerball (1975) – set in Houston but filmed in Bavaria, Germany
Futureworld (1976) – filmed at the Johnson Space Center facilities and Jones Hall
Logan's Run (1976) – filmed inside the Houston Hyatt Regency
The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training (1977)
Murder at the World Series (1977) – made-for-TV film
Telefon (1977) – set in Houston but filmed on a Hollywood backlot, parts of Los Angeles and inside the Hyatt Regency at 5 Embarcadero in San Francisco
FM (1978) – filmed at Greenway Plaza in Houston
The Swarm (1978) - second unit scenes filmed on Memorial Drive, Astrodome, Interstate 45 South/McKinney Street Exit ramp, and the main lobby of 2 Houston Center
Texas (1980–1982) – daytime soap opera, a spin-off of Another World
Urban Cowboy (1980)
Murder in Texas (1981) – made-for-TV film
Okay, Mr. Pancho (1981) – Mexican film, filmed in Mexico City and Houston areas.
Student Bodies (1981)
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982) – character played by Dom DeLuise was based on KTRK-TV personality Marvin Zindler
Terms of Endearment (1982)
Airplane II: The Sequel (1982)
Local Hero (1983) - filmed in Houston and Scotland
Uncommon Valor (1983) – set in Houston, filmed in California
Blood Simple (1984)
Cutter to Houston (1984)
Paris, Texas (1984) – shot in several cities around Texas, including Houston
The Trip to Bountiful (1984) – set in Houston but filmed in Dallas
Pray for Death (1985) - set and filmed in Houston
Buck James (1987–1988) – based on Dr. Red Duke
Forever Evil (1987) – filmed in Houston and Coldspring
Houston Knights (1987–1988)
My Best Friend Is a Vampire (1988)
Twins (1988) – sale of engine set in Houston
A Tiger's Tale (1988) – Rose's house was in League City
Full Moon in Blue Water (1988) – Filmed in Seabrook
Blind Fury (1989) – filmed partially in Houston
Cohen and Tate (1989)
For All Mankind (1989) – documentary filmed partially in Houston
Leningrad Cowboys Go America (1989)
Night Game (1989) – filmed in Galveston
Akkare Akkare Akkare (1990) – Malayalam movie filmed in Houston
I Come in Peace (1990)
Vietnam, Texas (1990) - filmed and set in Houston
RoboCop 2 (1990) - set in Detroit, but chiefly filmed in Houston
Rush (1991) – filmed in Houston
City of Joy (1992) – first scene is set in Houston
Sidekicks (1992)
A Taste for Killing (1992) – made-for-TV film
Wild Wheels (1992) - documentary footage dating back to the late 1980s during the Houston Art Car Parade including artist interviews are seen in the film - some parade footage dates back to 1988 when the parade was co-branded with the Houston International Festival
A Perfect World (1993) – filmed in Huntsville
The Chase (1994) – filmed in the Rice Village area and several highways around the Houston area; one scene also shot in Kemah
City of Joy (1994) - set in Houston, though not filmed there
Jason's Lyric (1994) - set in Houston's Third, Fourth, and Fifth Ward including a scene at This Is It! Soul Food Restaurant, a local Houston eatery
Reality Bites (1994)
Thea (1994)
Apollo 13 (1995) Johnson Space Center (box office #1 film in U.S.)
Powder (1995) - filmed in Sugar Land, a Houston suburb, and some indoor scenes on a soundstage at Houston Studios in Downtown Houston
Don't Look Back (1996) – filmed in Galveston, Texas
The Evening Star (1996) - sequel to Terms of Endearment (1982)
Independence Day (1996) – Houston is largely destroyed by a nuclear missile
SubUrbia (1996) – filmed in Houston, Set in Austin, Texas
Tin Cup (1996) – final tournament shot in Kingwood, Texas
Prithvi (1997) - set in Houston, Texas
Selena (1997) – Selena's final concert scene is set in the Astrodome, but filmed in San Antonio, Texas
Armageddon (1998) – filmed at the Johnson Space Center facilities
Dance With Me (1998)
Fifth Ward (1998) – filmed in and set in Houston's Fifth Ward
Five Wives, Three Secretaries and Me (1998) – documentary filmed in Houston
Rushmore (1998) – written and directed by Houstonian Wes Anderson; filmed at his alma mater, St. John's School, as well as The Kinkaid School
Arlington Road (1999) – filmed in Pearland, a Houston suburb, and at the University of Houston
2000 WNBA Champions - Houston Comets (2000)
Mercy (2000)
Space Cowboys (2000)
Reba (2001-2007) – TV series set in Houston but filmed in Los Angeles
Pearl Harbor (2001) - San Jacinto Battlefield State Memorial Site
Texas Justice (2001-) – filmed in Houston
Houston Medical (2002)
Tarnation (2002) - contains old pictures from Houston
Animal Cops: Houston (2003)
The Crooked E: The Unshredded Truth About Enron (2003) – set in Houston, but filmed in Canada
Right on Track (2003) – Disney Channel movie set in Houston, but filmed in Utah
Threshold (2003)
Where's the Party Yaar? (2003) - also called Dude, Where's the Party; filmed entirely in Houston, about a nerdy Indian student who visits his hip nephew in Houston
Friday Night Lights (2004) - in the book and real life events, the final game of the Permian High School Team is played at The University of Texas at Austin in Austin not the Astrodome of Houston
Suburban Madness (2004) - details the Clara Harris story
14 Hours (2005) – made-for-TV film set in Houston, but filmed in Canada
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room (2005) – documentary about the Enron scandal
Volver (2006) – Houston is mentioned briefly several times by a woman with cancer as a place where "they cure everything there"
Fast Food Nation (2006) – filmed in several US cities, including Houston
American Drug War: The Last White Hope (2007) – documentary with scenes in Houston
Towelhead (2007) – set in a Houston suburb, but filmed in Los Angeles
A Federal Case (2007) - set in Houston and Richmond, Texas
Frieda Gilroy (2008)
Crazy Heart (2009) - partly filmed in downtown Houston
Mao's Last Dancer (2009) - drama about the life of ballet dancer Li Cunxin; partly filmed in Houston at the China Garden Restaurant and JP Morgan Chase Tower downtown, Miller Outdoor Theatre in Hermann Park, and the Wortham Theater Center downtown; mostly filmed in Australia and Nanjing, China
The Open Road (2009)
Puncture (2011)
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011) (box office #1 film in U.S.)
Tree of Life (2011) – shot in Houston and other cities in Texas; starring Sean Penn and Brad Pitt
Art Car: The Movie (2012) - filmed during the 2010 Houston Art Car Parade
Boyhood (2014) – directed by Richard Linklater; shot in Houston, Austin, San Marcos, Big Bend National Park, and other locations in Texas
Draft Day (2014)
Top Five (2014)
God's Not Dead (2014) - filmed in Baton Rouge, set in Houston
The Martian (2015) (box office #1 film in the U.S.)
A Curry on an American Plate (2015)
Orphan Train (2015) shot in Houston, Hill Country, Marfa, Mexico
10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) sign that leads to Houston in the end of the movie
A Tale of Two Cities: Huntsville, Texas (2017) parts shot in Houston
Animalium[1] (2017) was shot in and around Houston, Austin, and College Station[2]

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Terminator 2 along with these.
Part or all of these movies/shows either take place, or are set, in Houston, Texas or the surrounding area:

Stone in the Am (2021) - Set and filmed in Houston
The Houston Story (1956) - starring Gene Barry and Barbara Hale (of Perry Mason)
Hellfighters (1968) - with John Wayne
Brewster McCloud (1970) – first film to be filmed inside the Astrodome
The Getaway (1972) – filmed in Huntsville, Texas
The Thief Who Came to Dinner (1973) – set and filmed in Houston
Sugar Hill (1974) - set and filmed in Houston
The Sugarland Express (1974) – filmed on location at the Texas Department of Criminal Justice – Inmate Division Jester III Unit in Sugar Land, Texas
Together Brothers (1974) - filmed in Galveston, Texas
Rollerball (1975) – set in Houston but filmed in Bavaria, Germany
Futureworld (1976) – filmed at the Johnson Space Center facilities and Jones Hall
Logan's Run (1976) – filmed inside the Houston Hyatt Regency
The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training (1977)
Murder at the World Series (1977) – made-for-TV film
Telefon (1977) – set in Houston but filmed on a Hollywood backlot, parts of Los Angeles and inside the Hyatt Regency at 5 Embarcadero in San Francisco
FM (1978) – filmed at Greenway Plaza in Houston
The Swarm (1978) - second unit scenes filmed on Memorial Drive, Astrodome, Interstate 45 South/McKinney Street Exit ramp, and the main lobby of 2 Houston Center
Texas (1980–1982) – daytime soap opera, a spin-off of Another World
Urban Cowboy (1980)
Murder in Texas (1981) – made-for-TV film
Okay, Mr. Pancho (1981) – Mexican film, filmed in Mexico City and Houston areas.
Student Bodies (1981)
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982) – character played by Dom DeLuise was based on KTRK-TV personality Marvin Zindler
Terms of Endearment (1982)
Airplane II: The Sequel (1982)
Local Hero (1983) - filmed in Houston and Scotland
Uncommon Valor (1983) – set in Houston, filmed in California
Blood Simple (1984)
Cutter to Houston (1984)
Paris, Texas (1984) – shot in several cities around Texas, including Houston
The Trip to Bountiful (1984) – set in Houston but filmed in Dallas
Pray for Death (1985) - set and filmed in Houston
Buck James (1987–1988) – based on Dr. Red Duke
Forever Evil (1987) – filmed in Houston and Coldspring
Houston Knights (1987–1988)
My Best Friend Is a Vampire (1988)
Twins (1988) – sale of engine set in Houston
A Tiger's Tale (1988) – Rose's house was in League City
Full Moon in Blue Water (1988) – Filmed in Seabrook
Blind Fury (1989) – filmed partially in Houston
Cohen and Tate (1989)
For All Mankind (1989) – documentary filmed partially in Houston
Leningrad Cowboys Go America (1989)
Night Game (1989) – filmed in Galveston
Akkare Akkare Akkare (1990) – Malayalam movie filmed in Houston
I Come in Peace (1990)
Vietnam, Texas (1990) - filmed and set in Houston
RoboCop 2 (1990) - set in Detroit, but chiefly filmed in Houston
Rush (1991) – filmed in Houston
City of Joy (1992) – first scene is set in Houston
Sidekicks (1992)
A Taste for Killing (1992) – made-for-TV film
Wild Wheels (1992) - documentary footage dating back to the late 1980s during the Houston Art Car Parade including artist interviews are seen in the film - some parade footage dates back to 1988 when the parade was co-branded with the Houston International Festival
A Perfect World (1993) – filmed in Huntsville
The Chase (1994) – filmed in the Rice Village area and several highways around the Houston area; one scene also shot in Kemah
City of Joy (1994) - set in Houston, though not filmed there
Jason's Lyric (1994) - set in Houston's Third, Fourth, and Fifth Ward including a scene at This Is It! Soul Food Restaurant, a local Houston eatery
Reality Bites (1994)
Thea (1994)
Apollo 13 (1995) Johnson Space Center (box office #1 film in U.S.)
Powder (1995) - filmed in Sugar Land, a Houston suburb, and some indoor scenes on a soundstage at Houston Studios in Downtown Houston
Don't Look Back (1996) – filmed in Galveston, Texas
The Evening Star (1996) - sequel to Terms of Endearment (1982)
Independence Day (1996) – Houston is largely destroyed by a nuclear missile
SubUrbia (1996) – filmed in Houston, Set in Austin, Texas
Tin Cup (1996) – final tournament shot in Kingwood, Texas
Prithvi (1997) - set in Houston, Texas
Selena (1997) – Selena's final concert scene is set in the Astrodome, but filmed in San Antonio, Texas
Armageddon (1998) – filmed at the Johnson Space Center facilities
Dance With Me (1998)
Fifth Ward (1998) – filmed in and set in Houston's Fifth Ward
Five Wives, Three Secretaries and Me (1998) – documentary filmed in Houston
Rushmore (1998) – written and directed by Houstonian Wes Anderson; filmed at his alma mater, St. John's School, as well as The Kinkaid School
Arlington Road (1999) – filmed in Pearland, a Houston suburb, and at the University of Houston
2000 WNBA Champions - Houston Comets (2000)
Mercy (2000)
Space Cowboys (2000)
Reba (2001-2007) – TV series set in Houston but filmed in Los Angeles
Pearl Harbor (2001) - San Jacinto Battlefield State Memorial Site
Texas Justice (2001-) – filmed in Houston
Houston Medical (2002)
Tarnation (2002) - contains old pictures from Houston
Animal Cops: Houston (2003)
The Crooked E: The Unshredded Truth About Enron (2003) – set in Houston, but filmed in Canada
Right on Track (2003) – Disney Channel movie set in Houston, but filmed in Utah
Threshold (2003)
Where's the Party Yaar? (2003) - also called Dude, Where's the Party; filmed entirely in Houston, about a nerdy Indian student who visits his hip nephew in Houston
Friday Night Lights (2004) - in the book and real life events, the final game of the Permian High School Team is played at The University of Texas at Austin in Austin not the Astrodome of Houston
Suburban Madness (2004) - details the Clara Harris story
14 Hours (2005) – made-for-TV film set in Houston, but filmed in Canada
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room (2005) – documentary about the Enron scandal
Volver (2006) – Houston is mentioned briefly several times by a woman with cancer as a place where "they cure everything there"
Fast Food Nation (2006) – filmed in several US cities, including Houston
American Drug War: The Last White Hope (2007) – documentary with scenes in Houston
Towelhead (2007) – set in a Houston suburb, but filmed in Los Angeles
A Federal Case (2007) - set in Houston and Richmond, Texas
Frieda Gilroy (2008)
Crazy Heart (2009) - partly filmed in downtown Houston
Mao's Last Dancer (2009) - drama about the life of ballet dancer Li Cunxin; partly filmed in Houston at the China Garden Restaurant and JP Morgan Chase Tower downtown, Miller Outdoor Theatre in Hermann Park, and the Wortham Theater Center downtown; mostly filmed in Australia and Nanjing, China
The Open Road (2009)
Puncture (2011)
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011) (box office #1 film in U.S.)
Tree of Life (2011) – shot in Houston and other cities in Texas; starring Sean Penn and Brad Pitt
Art Car: The Movie (2012) - filmed during the 2010 Houston Art Car Parade
Boyhood (2014) – directed by Richard Linklater; shot in Houston, Austin, San Marcos, Big Bend National Park, and other locations in Texas
Draft Day (2014)
Top Five (2014)
God's Not Dead (2014) - filmed in Baton Rouge, set in Houston
The Martian (2015) (box office #1 film in the U.S.)
A Curry on an American Plate (2015)
Orphan Train (2015) shot in Houston, Hill Country, Marfa, Mexico
10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) sign that leads to Houston in the end of the movie
A Tale of Two Cities: Huntsville, Texas (2017) parts shot in Houston
Animalium[1] (2017) was shot in and around Houston, Austin, and College Station[2]
I see you are keeping busy post retirement.

TexansThunder

Waterboy
The offensive line will be different as well coached better. The running game should be vastly improved. Watson had two major knee surgeries as well. We’re talking about a darn third round pick for crying out loud. The draft was screwed up way before Caserio got here. Thanks to Bill O’Brien and Deshaun Watson. If Watson doesn’t pull the crap he pulled Nick would have a couple of 1st and 2nd round picks to work with. Hey let’s not talk about the few picks that could be good as well.
Yep, O’Brien and Easterby did some damage with their incompetence. I believe that BPA is the better draft strategy. Watson showed you can come back from knee issues and play at an insanely high level.

At this point, Texans are d@mned if you do, d@mned if you don’t.

I actually like the coaching staff the Texans assembled. Culley is a significant upgrade over O’Brien. Some of the criticism against Culley regarding the Ravens passing attack (or lack thereof) should be directed at Harbaugh. Harbaugh is mightily proud of the Ravens’ run heavy offense.

Culley now has freedom to implement a more balanced offensive system as head coach. He has served as a coach over his career under the likes of Sam Wyche, Bill Cowher, and Andy Reid. Thank goodness NC did not hire anyone from Patriots Nation.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Yep, O’Brien and Easterby did some damage with their incompetence. I believe that BPA is the better draft strategy. Watson showed you can come back from knee issues and play at an insanely high level.

At this point, Texans are d@mned if you do, d@mned if you don’t.

I actually like the coaching staff the Texans assembled. Culley is a significant upgrade over O’Brien. Some of the criticism against Culley regarding the Ravens passing attack (or lack thereof) should be directed at Harbaugh. Harbaugh is mightily proud of the Ravens’ run heavy offense.

Culley now has freedom to implement a more balanced offensive system as head coach. He has served as a coach over his career under the likes of Sam Wyche, Bill Cowher, and Andy Reid. Thank goodness NC did not hire anyone from Patriots Nation.
I've said it before and the message doesn't seem to get through but Ravens and their fans DON'T WANT A PASS HEAVY OFFENSE. Passing for the Ravens means Jackson isn't running and if Jackson isn't running then Ravens aren't winning. The offense is perfectly designed for the team and honestly I don't know or care if Culley really learned to "build an offense" you can hire a OC to do that I just mainly hope he learned from Harbaugh not to be rigid in his thinking and not to default to a comfort zone. That was OB's true problem and the thing that stopped him from success with this team is that he kept trying to make players fit his scheme rather than allowing the scheme to fit the players.