Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Pick 67] Davis Mills QB Stanford

I've said it before and the message doesn't seem to get through but Ravens and their fans DON'T WANT A PASS HEAVY OFFENSE. Passing for the Ravens means Jackson isn't running and if Jackson isn't running then Ravens aren't winning. The offense is perfectly designed for the team and honestly I don't know or care if Culley really learned to "build an offense" you can hire a OC to do that I just mainly hope he learned from Harbaugh not to be rigid in his thinking and not to default to a comfort zone. That was OB's true problem and the thing that stopped him from success with this team is that he kept trying to make players fit his scheme rather than allowing the scheme to fit the players.
To your point. Jackson is a unique talent. Neither Taylor or even Watson can or should run as often as Jackson. Although, I would like to see the Texans "steal" some of the Ravens' formations, use of their TEs and their power running game, if fans are thinking that 31 year old, oft injured Tyrod Taylor will be able to last a season running like Jackson or constantly keeping the ball on RPOs, they should get ready to hear starting at QB for the Houston Texans......Davis Mills

I actually like the coaching staff the Texans assembled. Culley is a significant upgrade over O’Brien. Some of the criticism against Culley regarding the Ravens passing attack (or lack thereof) should be directed at Harbaugh. Harbaugh is mightily proud of the Ravens’ run heavy offense.
How much input do you think Culley had in that offense? He was a position coach. His job was to disseminate the plan conceived by the OC to the WRs.

He was an indian not a chief

How much input do you think Culley had in that offense? He was a position coach. His job was to disseminate the plan conceived by the OC to the WRs.

He was an indian not a chief
Doesn't matter what role he had in his previous organizations. He had their playbook and he participated in all the coaches sessions. Doesn't matter that he was an indian.

He has final say on the offensive scheming the Texans will employ. He of course has input from the indians under him. In early coaching sessions, he would have laid out his objectives and vision for the offense he wanted to implement. Then as a coaching staff team, he and his coaches would have begun to put together their playbook and evaluate the players on the roster and how they would be utilized to fit their scheme. Doesn't matter who had what input. They are emplementing Culley's vision.

Now, I'm also confident that Caserio thoughly interviewed Culley and what Culley's offensive philosophy was, what he wanted to implement and made clear what his (Caserio) expected of Culley. Before he hired Culley, Caserio would have made certain the two of them were on the same page.

I know I'm sipping some Koolaid, but the more I see of the kid, the more hopeful I am of his potential.

Hopefully they've got an o-line in place that can protect him when he eventually starts, and maybe not putting the weight of the franchise on his back right off the bat will give him time to develop and grow into the leader this team needs.

Embrace the rebuild and just enjoy the ride. :howdy:

I know I'm sipping some Koolaid, but the more I see of the kid, the more hopeful I am of his potential.
Yeah, watching the three videos I posted, I actually started feeling good about Mills then I watched the third one... & that’s what I normally think about 3rd Rd QBs. & I’m back to not understanding the pick.

Hopefully they've got an o-line in place that can protect him when he eventually starts, and maybe not putting the weight of the franchise on his back right off the bat will give him time to develop and grow into the leader this team needs.

Embrace the rebuild and just enjoy the ride. :howdy:

I think ideally this guy wouldn't play at all this year .... Just run the scout team and hold the clip board.

Problem is , neither of the other QB's are the way forward and who the hell knows what's going to happen with the Oily Anus .... Err Watson.

They almost have to play Mills at some point to see what they have going into the next draft .... Do we need to draft a QB early next year or not? You just don't know without putting him under center.

To your point. Jackson is a unique talent. Neither Taylor or even Watson can or should run as often as Jackson. Although, I would like to see the Texans "steal" some of the Ravens' formations, use of their TEs and their power running game, if fans are thinking that 31 year old, oft injured Tyrod Taylor will be able to last a season running like Jackson or constantly keeping the ball on RPOs, they should get ready to hear starting at QB for the Houston Texans......Davis Mills

Hey Ryan might end up being the starter if Tyrod goes down.

Your post is spot on. No way I want anyone of our quarterbacks running the ball like Jackson.

They almost have to play Mills at some point to see what they have going into the next draft ....
I don’t believe that. They can look at guys play college ball in college & decide if they want to draft one with a high pick.

Same way they should be able to watch him develop on the scout team & talk to him in the meeting room. They should have a much better “feel” for him than they would for any QB in the draft.

Like when the Cowboys had Romo. They knew. They also had the luxury of Bledsoe, but they knew they had a starter in Romo.

I think ideally this guy wouldn't play at all this year .... Just run the scout team and hold the clip board.

Problem is , neither of the other QB's are the way forward and who the hell knows what's going to happen with the Oily Anus .... Err Watson.

They almost have to play Mills at some point to see what they have going into the next draft .... Do we need to draft a QB early next year or not? You just don't know without putting him under center.

you just never know?

Tyrod was supposed to be the game one starter for the Chargers last season but instead threw Justin Herbert in without any first team reps. The rest is History!

You know who the QB coach was for Justin Herbert?

Pep Hamilton.

Do you know who the Texans brought in this offseason to be the new QB coach?

Pep Hamilton.

Mills/Texans are in good hands 🙌🏽

all that Bill O’Brian QB guru crap was just that crap, this is what a real QB guru looks like.

Last edited:
If you want I can put together a vid showing Jesus Christ’s flaws and say, you know, he’s just never going to be a messiah. But it was those intangibles that came naturally That made him stand out a little. Took a while. This guy is ice smart. He’s got to get more experience but his learning curve isn’t about footwork or pocket presence or reading a defense or throwing touch passes or bullets. He’s exactly who you would take in the third. I read different things than some but his inner calmness impresses me. He’s focused on football and not anything else. No doubt the QB’s picked ahead of him are nothing but a motivator for this smart kid. Obviously JMO, but ill Bet this kid will produce some draft picks if we go that way. BTW, May the Fourth be with you.

The more I think about this pick the more I think it wasn't a good choice. This is the kind of pick you make when you have a solid roster like the Seahawks did when they selected Russell Wilson. We have too many holes to try and pick a guy when this roster has no chance to give him a chance to succeed.

Like the pick and especially like the kid. Great potential and hopefully a lot less of the bravado like the archer or air guitar crap. Secondly, the Houston market and it being in the same state as the Girls of the North. I find that most Texans fans have some direct tie to Houston itself. People groups go in and out of Houston, due to the nature of the prominent industry there, so most of those folks already have a favorite team before they get there. Perhaps the largest part of us who were born there may actually stay there or thereabouts. Those of us who actually moved away stand out like a sore thumb. Not many of us are out here in the wilderness. Please send help. ;)

The more I think about this pick the more I think it wasn't a good choice. This is the kind of pick you make when you have a solid roster like the Seahawks did when they selected Russell Wilson. We have too many holes to try and pick a guy when this roster has no chance to give him a chance to succeed.
I imagine the Texans aren't envisioning him having to start this season - unless disaster strikes.
They have improved the oline and made a major upgrade in the oline coaching so I expect good things to happen for the QBs.
I hope they bring in one more weapon on offense to throw the ball to - or Donte Moncrief can have a career year.

You do realize QB is a hole right now right? Ideally he either doesn’t play or only plays a few plays to get a feel for an NFL level game. The roster you see now will be very different than the roster if/when Mills becomes the starter.

I imagine the Texans aren't envisioning him having to start this season - unless disaster strikes.
They have improved the oline and made a major upgrade in the oline coaching so I expect good things to happen for the QBs.
I hope they bring in one more weapon on offense to throw the ball to - or Donte Moncrief can have a career year.

That right there will make the team better overall.

I was thinking the same thing. Even if something were to happen to both Tyrod & Finley I thought they would sign some FA veteran to finish the season.

Then someone reminded me Justin Herbert wasn't "supposed" to play last year, then all of a sudden he's starting.

Who knows, if they feel like he's ready, he could start sometime in 2021

I was thinking the same thing. Even if something were to happen to both Tyrod & Finley I thought they would sign some FA veteran to finish the season.

Then someone reminded me Justin Herbert wasn't "supposed" to play last year, then all of a sudden he's starting.

Tyrod got a chest injury?!?! Week 2 I think?!? and Herbert came and never looked back. Pep will have the kid as prepared as he ever will be week 1.

Justin Herbert also had a lot more experience in college with a lot better numbers. There's just so much unknown with Mills, and the few games he has played, the numbers aren't all that great.

Will you still feel this way if we pick a QB #1 next year ?

you just never know?

Tyrod was supposed to be the game one starter for the Chargers last season but instead threw Justin Herbert in without any first team reps. The rest is History!

You know who the QB coach was for Justin Herbert?

Pep Hamilton.

Do you know who the Texans brought in this offseason to be the new QB coach?

Pep Hamilton.

Mills/Texans are in good hands 🙌🏽

all that Bill O’Brian QB guru crap was just that crap, this is what a real QB guru looks like.

Pep Hamilton was also QB coach for:

Chad Pennington - 16 TD, 9 INT, 91.0 passer rating in '04
Brooks Bollinger - 7 TD, 6 INT, 72.9 PR in '05
Brian Griese - 10 TD, 12 INT, 75.6 PR in '07
Kyle Orton - 18 TD, 12 INT, 79.9 PR in '08
Jay Cutler - 27 TD, 26 INT, 76.8 PR in '09

That would be good for 5 years; but then you'd have four number one contracts coming up all in the same year. You're likely to lose at least two.
Well the other side to that is the likelihood of all four being “worthy” to sign after 5 years later is slim. Now if you did hit on all four then that’s amazing and maybe you move a couple beforehand. At any rate I’d take my chances with four 1sts all day, plenty of options

Pep Hamilton was also QB coach for:

Chad Pennington - 16 TD, 9 INT, 91.0 passer rating in '04
Brooks Bollinger - 7 TD, 6 INT, 72.9 PR in '05
Brian Griese - 10 TD, 12 INT, 75.6 PR in '07
Kyle Orton - 18 TD, 12 INT, 79.9 PR in '08
Jay Cutler - 27 TD, 26 INT, 76.8 PR in '09

Only counts nowadays what have you done for me lately. Nobody saw Herbert develop into a franchise QB that quickly, nobody.

Justin Herbert also had a lot more experience in college with a lot better numbers. There's just so much unknown with Mills, and the few games he has played, the numbers aren't all that great.

Keep in mind we're not talking about our 1st round, traded up for, sure fire franchise QB here we are talking about a guy we drafted in the 3rd round. I think people have a skewed view of the pick because he was our first pick of the draft but he's still a 3rd round QB pick. In other words a project player with the right tools but a lot of unknowns, if he was anything more he would have gone in the 1st or 2nd. I think Mills has a lot of upsides, I don't know if he can be anything more than a solid backup and I don't believe at all he can be even that before 2022 but I'm ok with that because 2021 season is like the last leg of the 40 years of wilderness wandering the previous 5 years have been.

The floor on this guy is Tom Savage and the ceiling is Andrew Luck?

My prediction is, Mills will receive a little playing time this season but not play well enough to woo anyone and the Texans draft a quarterback first overall in 2022. In that scenario the Texans just drafted competition at the quarterback position for the 2022 season. Not the worst use of your highest pick in the draft this year, but not the best, either. There were probably 6-10 players along the DL and in the secondary drafted after the 67th pick that will likely receive significant playing time with their teams in 2021 and become solid starters in the very near future. They may never be pro-bowlers but not all players on winning football teams are.

The real question I have in regards to Caserio is, can he accept failure or will he behave like the previous regimes and keep trotting his mistakes out onto the field? Rick Smith and O'Brien both kept players around too long out of loyalty and/or believing their initial instincts were right. So far, I'm giving Caserio the benefit of the doubt. I'm hoping that if I am right, and Davis Mills doesn't progress quickly, the Texans draft the best quarterback available to them if they are indeed picking in the top 3 next season.

Last edited:
Yeah, watching the three videos I posted, I actually started feeling good about Mills then I watched the third one... & that’s what I normally think about 3rd Rd QBs. & I’m back to not understanding the pick.
Watching some of the "bad"........... I have to ask myself if, in some of the examples presented, the receivers didn't run the correct routes.

Keep in mind we're not talking about our 1st round, traded up for, sure fire franchise QB here we are talking about a guy we drafted in the 3rd round. I think people have a skewed view of the pick because he was our first pick of the draft but he's still a 3rd round QB pick. In other words a project player with the right tools but a lot of unknowns, if he was anything more he would have gone in the 1st or 2nd. I think Mills has a lot of upsides, I don't know if he can be anything more than a solid backup and I don't believe at all he can be even that before 2022 but I'm ok with that because 2021 season is like the last leg of the 40 years of wilderness wandering the previous 5 years have been.

Yeah some media heads we’re talking about we have so many holes and we drafted a quarterback. And I’m like isn’t that not a hole of ours. Do they not see what the freak-a-ziod going on with Watson? Not only that do you really expect to fill in every freaking need with just one pick in the third round. We did move up to acquire a wide receiver who has the potential to be a day one starter. That was a need that needed to be addressed as well. Nick took the approach of filling some of those needs on defense through free agency for this season. I’m pretty sure he will address those needs for the 2022 season in next year’s draft. It’s a strong possibility they will have at least 3 first round picks and a couple second round picks in that draft. Especially since a lot of those free agents signings are on a 1-2 year prove it deals.

Now with Mills, he looks to have potential. His college coach was on 790 yesterday ( I posted that interview on here) and he had a lot of positive things to say about Mills. Yes he wasn’t going to bash the young man either. But he was pretty convincing about the talent we just acquired. Like Steel said, if Nick hits on this pick. That will be the steal of the draft. And the following year’s draft you can actually address the holes that we need. Especially if we are able to still get a king’s ransom for DQuit.

Last edited:
Yeah some media heads we’re talking about we have so many holes and we drafted a quarterback. And I’m like isn’t that not a hole of ours. Do they not see what the freak-a-ziod going on with Watson? Not only that do you really expect to fill in every freaking need with just one pick in the third round. We did move up to acquire a wide receiver who has the potential to be a day one stater. That was a need that need to be addressed as well. Nick took the approach of filling some of those needs on defense through free agency for this season. I’m pretty sure he will address those needs for the 2022 season in next year’s draft. It’s a strong possibility they will have at least 3 first round picks and a couple second round picks in that draft. Especially since a lot of those free agents signings are on a 1-2 year prove it deals.

Now with Mills, he looks to have potential. His college coach was on 790 yesterday ( I posted that interview on here) and he had a lot of positive things to say about Mills. Yes he wasn’t going to bash the young man either. But he was pretty convincing about the talent we just acquired. Like Steel said, if Nick hits on this pick. That will be the steal of the draft. And the following year’s draft you can actually address the holes that we need. Especially if we are able to still get a king’s ransom for DQuit.

I also wonder if Caserio didn't go more heavy offense to possibly use it to recruit an OC next year. Lets be honest unless he pulls a rabbit out of his hat without Watson Kelly's days as OC are numbered so this way they can say to a candidate OC "Look we've drafted some solid players with lots of upsides and we just need someone that utilize the tools they've been given. We got great coaches at both QB and Oline and our HC is very much a hands off, oversee the big picture type of guy so you'll be able to design the type of offense you think will fit best with the team."

If they have some early picks next year due to either record or Watson trade then thats more for even better bait.

Herbert was only a three star recruit, dual threat QB coming out of Sheldon High School class of 2016. Mills was a five star recruit out of Norcross Georgia ranked #1 QB in the nation 2017. Per Rivals.

Davis Mills suffered from early injuries that impacted his career @ Stanford greatly. But since has fully recovered and athletically stronger than ever. Now does he get me as excited as watching Herbert, no. To me he lacks arm strength, size and has been mentioned, because of injuries, experience against top flight competition. But I do think he can command the huddle and be excellent system QB, like a Ryan Fitzpatrick. If he develops as planned has starter potential, and plus back-up if they take a #1 next year. You need at least two quality QB’s on your roster, even if you have one that’s a superstar. There will always be a market and trade value for one in the NFL.

Herbert was only a three star recruit, dual threat QB coming out of Sheldon High School class of 2016. Mills was a five star recruit out of Norcross Georgia ranked #1 QB in the nation 2017. Per Rivals.

Davis Mills suffered from early injuries that impacted his career @ Stanford greatly. But since has fully recovered and athletically stronger than ever. Now does he get me as excited as watching Herbert, no. To me he lacks arm strength, size and has been mentioned, because of injuries, experience against top flight competition. But I do think he can command the huddle and be excellent system QB, like a Ryan Fitzpatrick. If he develops as planned has starter potential, and plus back-up if they take a #1 next year. You need at least two quality QB’s on your roster, even if you have one that’s a superstar. There will always be a market and trade value for one in the NFL.
Mills is just a product of poor timing. He’s been injury free for 2 years and then covid threw everything right back into a tailspin.
He was projected to be a top 10 pick next year.
HOU had nothing to lose taking him.

Mills is just a product of poor timing. He’s been injury free for 2 years and then covid threw everything right back into a tailspin.
He was projected to be a top 10 pick next year.
HOU had nothing to lose taking him.

Based off those circumstances you mentioned is reason why he didn’t risk another year @ Stanford. Otherwise he turns into a top tier 2022 prospect and no worse that 2nd rd. pick most likely top 20.

Back