Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Pick 67] Davis Mills QB Stanford

And he’s now one of the Pep Boys. Going to be interesting.
It does not matter who the Texans pick. There are some that will think the pick is the greatest pick in the draft regardless. I also don't understand all the love for Pep Hamilton. He has had 15 jobs in 23 years. That does not scream great QB coaching guru. He does get fired a lot. He turned down OC at VaTech so he go to Indy to coach Andrew Luck who he coached at Stanford. He ended up getting fired after only 2 years on the job.

Last edited:
Don't really know why, maybe because he went to Stanford, but I thought Mills was a Californian. He's not. The Mills family are Georgians.

Robertson just reports that the Mills family were gathered at the parents home. Doesn't mention anything about an agent. If an agent were there, I don't see him calling other teams if the family wanted Houston to select him.

Interesting enough the last time the Texans picked a QB in the third round was Dave Ragone who is now the OC with the Atlanta Falcons.

Mills seems to only be considered a prototypical pocket QB. But if you look closer, he is no statue. He is very athletic and, despite his clustered knee issues, he showed himself to truly be a dual-threat whose 577 rushing yards and 14 scores as a HS junior were only eclipsed by his prowess as a passer. He averaged approximately 10 yards per attempt and threw 25 touchdowns to seven interceptions in 2015. Stanford's offense did not let him to continue to fully demonstrate his skills.

And considering how often he threw the ball deep, Mills' completion percentage of just under 60 as a junior was somewhat deceiving and in great part a function of Stanford's vertical passing game. That junior year, he played at 192 pounds compared to his present weight of 225. That should have added strength and durability, both of which should be further bolstered by NFL-level conditioning and strength training.

Last edited:
Anyone that the Texans would've picked at #67 was going to be a gamble anyways. Watson is likely moving on from the Texans one way or the other anyways. Mills could be the next Savage or he could be the next Brady. I have no problem with this pick and I hope it works out for the Texans.

I agree on Mond that guy is so overrated.
One thing people don't take into consideration about Mond is in every year he started at A&M he never had a WR drafted by the NFL. Now imagine if Mac Jones played with Mond's WRs and Mond's receivers were Waddle, Smith, Harris, Jeudy, Ruggs and Metchie.

Mills seems to only be considered a prototypical pocket QB. But if you look closer, he is no statue. He is very athletic and, despite his clustered knee issues, he showed himself to truly be a dual-threat whose 577 rushing yards and 14 scores as a HS junior were only eclipsed by his prowess as a passer. He averaged approximately 10 yards per attempt and threw 25 touchdowns to seven interceptions in 2015. Stanford's offense did not let him to continue to fully demonstrate his skills.

And considering how often he threw the ball deep, Mills' completion percentage of just under 60 as a junior was somewhat deceiving and in great part a function of Stanford's vertical passing game. That junior year, he played at 192 pounds compared to his present weight of 225. That should have added strength and durability, both of which should be further bolstered by NFL-level conditioning and strength training.
Davis can move and make plays with his feet. He’s got really good pocket presence and his arm is every bit as good as Mayfield, Carr or Tannehill’s. He can make all the throws. HOU just needs to keep him clean in the pocket. That’s the issue. I’m not worried about Mills. He’s got the coaches to take him to the next level. It’s the O line now.

One thing people don't take into consideration about Mond is in every year he started at A&M never did he have a WR drafted by the NFL. Now imagine if Mac Jones played with Mond's WRs and Mond's receivers were Waddle, Smith, Harris and Metchie.
Yeah, I gotta say, the Mond hypercriticism is a bit much.
He was turning chicken poop into chicken salad every Saturday. I think he’s got as much upside as Lance and played much tougher competition.

Theres a good chance mills was drafted to be an inexpensive franchise backup who also shows a lot of promise. Build depth on the team followed by the starters. The team will have a solid core.

I think the question of how soon Mills will be starting will depend, for a large part, on how well our OL is performing.

The one thing you don't want is to put a new QB in too soon with a porous OL and have him constantly under pressure. This is one thing which happened to Finley two years ago, his rookie season, when he was sacked 11 times in his three starts.

If our OL is performing reasonably well, and Mills has absorbed his playbook, hopefully we can see him start by mid-season.

Lots of inconsistencies here:

Even the throw between the 12 and 13-minute mark should have been higher and more toward the inside as he can clearly see the LB dropping back and getting in the way.

I can see him with pro coaching developing into a stud..he’s got great raw physical tools. I can also see him not developing quite enough to be a real threat as a starter.....on the high side, Matt Ryan...on the low side, Sage Rosenfels.
I am not up to speed on our QB coach - is he any good?

The UCLA game was a brutal game where he threw 3 Ints, including a pick-six.

They don't have it all here, but there's a condensed version of the game.

The D forced a crucial turnover late that allowed the Cardinals to come back though.

And Mills was playing against defenses that allowed lots of points scored:
77th, 39th, 48th, 93rd, 73rd.

He wasn't tested all that much.
The Bruins (73rd in points allowed) showed him some different coverage looks and he got hooked several times as seen with the 3 Ints.

Rumor is Saints were not happy with Mills medicals and why they passed on Mills with the 60th pick. Opted to take Ian Book in RD 4 instead. May also explain why Trask and Mond went before him. Would make sense.

Last edited:
Late on several throws, most notably starting at about the 4:32-minute mark, that allowed the defenders to force a couple of incompletions, a "should-have-been" Int, and an actual Int.

Under threw a couple of long balls, but the receivers bailed him out.

Oregon St. was 93rd (out of 128) in points allowed.

It appears Mills was Caserio's targeted selection for their 67 pick, over Trask and Mond. Dale Robinson is reporting in the Chronicle this morning that the Texans called Mills in the 2nd round (doesn't say when) and informed him he would be the Texans selection if he was still there. There was a tense moment during Minnesota's selection. Mills' older sister lives in Houston and was pulling for the Texans selection.
Would love a link to this. Not saying I don’t believe you; just wanted to read it

Would love a link to this. Not saying I don’t believe you; just wanted to read it
It's a really good read. Unfortunately, the digital Chronicle is behind a paywall. I don't subscribed; I read the newspaper. I don't know if it will be available to the general public in a few days. But it's by Dale Robinson and is titled, Sibling Revelry, Selection of the Stanford quarterback means a Houston reunion for Davis, Ali Mills.

Here is the link (I think, it's immediately covered up by the paywall): https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...ut-new-Texans-QB-Davis-Mills-Ask-16144419.php

Are we really whipping out HS stats to justify picks now? And his junior year of HS was 6 freaking years ago! Holy hell!!
There's more to justifying his pick that his HS stats. Those stats were presented to contrast his days with Stanford's obvious offense QB-limiting/affected stats. No doubt that in addition Mills had very limited experience in college.

It does not matter who the Texans pick. There are some that will think the pick is the greatest pick in the draft regardless. I also don't understand all the love for Pep Hamilton. He has had 15 jobs in 23 years. That does not scream great QB coaching guru. He does get fired a lot. He turned down OC at VaTech so he go go to Indy to coach Andrew Luck who he coached at Stanford. He ended up getting fired after only 2 years on the job.

And there will be some that will think it's worse pick ever as well. So many doom and gloom fans on here as well. Keep it 100 and tell both sides.

People were calling Bill Obrien a quarterback guru and a hard ash because of his one time interaction on the sideline with the Goat Tom Brady.

And there will be some that will think it's worse pick ever as well. So many doom and gloom fans on here as well. Keep it 100 and tell both sides.

People were calling Bill Obrien a quarterback guru and a hard ash because of his one time interaction on the sideline with the Goat Tom Brady.
There's a lot of Texans fans and posters here who think Caserio is a genius and can do no wrong. A few fans and posters here who think Caserio is a dunce who is your typical Belichick clerk. But the media as a whole have ripped Caserio to shreds and almost to a reporter they ask, how in the hell could Nick make Davis Mills his very first pick when he has so many damn holes to fill. I have yet to see a media person be complimentary of Caserio's draft and these folks are programmed to accentuate the positive and refrain from any negativity. A few have pointed out as though they had some background or inside info, that there could be reasons why New Orleans, Tampa Bay and Minnesota passed on Davis Mills. It does make you wonder when almost every media public draft board had Mills ahead of Mond and Trask.

I never called O'Brien a guru of anything. I always called him a Belichick clerk who held Tom Brady's clipboard. When I said that Kraft and Belichick shipped O'Brien out of town to Penn St after his sideline blow up with Brady, (where Belichick had to intervene) people thought I was crazy. And when I said the Penn St alumni were thrilled and overjoyed to see O'Brien pack his bags for Houston, Texans fans wanted to tar and feather me. I noted at the time that O'Brien did not get along with others and would be your typical Belichick clerk failure like all of the others. You only have to listen to Caserio for two minutes to know that he is completely clueless.

BTW Tampa had the best draft because they were drafting for 2023 and not 2021.

Last edited:
It's a really good read. Unfortunately, the digital Chronicle is behind a paywall. I don't subscribed; I read the newspaper. I don't know if it will be available to the general public in a few days. But it's by Dale Robinson and is titled, Sibling Revelry, Selection of the Stanford quarterback means a Houston reunion for Davis, Ali Mills.

Here is the link (I think, it's immediately covered up by the paywall): https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...ut-new-Texans-QB-Davis-Mills-Ask-16144419.php
Yup you are right. Thanks!

The three Mills siblings — the oldest, 26-year-old Erin, is an attorney in Atlanta — were gathered together at their parents’ home in Fulton, Ga., anxiously waiting to see how things played out. Ali, who’s 24, said the Texans had phoned during the second round to tell Davis they would be drafting him if were still available, although she said they didn’t sound confident that he would still be around when they finally entered the fray with the 67th pick.
The tension in the room grew palpable when Minnesota went on the clock, one selection ahead of Houston. The Vikings, after all, were also in the market for a quarterback. But they tabbed Texas A&M’s Kellen Mond and, when Mills’ phone rang almost simultaneously, “we all went just dead quiet,” she said.
The celebration that followed, however, was anything but.
Texans general manager Nick Caserio later explained his decision by touting Mills’ pedigree, saying he “played in a good offensive system, played for a good coach, has pretty good size, fairly accurate with the ball, smart, makes fairly good decisions. Coach (David) Shaw does a great job with their program offensively. He some of the attributes that a quarterback that we like and possess and played well with his opportunities when he was on the field, so it was a situation where we like the player, we spent time with him before the draft, did our research, did our homework.”

There's a lot of Texans fans and posters here who think Caserio is a genius and can do no wrong. A few fans and posters here who think Caserio is a dunce who is your typical Belichick clerk. But the media as a whole have ripped Caserio to shreds and almost to a reporter they ask, how in the hell could Nick make Davis Mills his very first pick when he has so many damn holes to fill. I have yet to see a media person be complimentary of Caserio's draft and these folks are programmed to accentuate the positive and refrain from any negativity. A few have pointed out as though they had some background or inside info, that there could be reasons why New Orleans, Tampa Bay and Minnesota passed on Davis Mills. It does make you wonder when almost every media public draft board had Mills ahead of Mond and Trask.

I never called O'Brien a guru of anything. I always called him a Belichick clerk who held Tom Brady's clipboard. When I said that Kraft and Belichick shipped O'Brien out of town to Penn St after his sideline blow up with Brady, (where Belichick had to intervene) people thought I was crazy. And when I said the Penn St alumni were thrilled and overjoyed to see O'Brien pack his bags for Houston, Texans fans wanted to tar and feather me. I noted at the time that O'Brien did not get along with others and would be your typical Belichick clerk failure like all of the others. You only have to listen to Caserio for two minutes to know that he is completely clueless.

I haven’t seen anyone hyping up Caserio like that. Most are saying he’s doing fine with the limited resources and the bad hand he was dealt here. Man those holes has been filled, you just don’t like them.

I never said you called O’Brien a guru. What I said was some people called him a guru.

Tampa Bay just won the Super Bowl and the majority of their players are back, especially their core on both sides of the ball. Therefore, they can afford to draft for 2023 and not 2021.

BTW every teams situation are completely different. The Texans are in a very dark and terrible place right now. Tampa is on a different planet right now.

Last edited:

Then there are posters like me that are willing to atleast give the guy a chance and Mills a chance too. I would like to see how Caserio will do after he has a full allotment of draft picks to work with. Apparently you dont.

The Texans may have had inside info on Mills since Pep once worked for Shaw.

The Texans may have had inside info on Mills since Pep once worked for Shaw.
Can you give us an example of what kind of inside info this might have been? I mean 11 games is 11 games. He red shirted & was still riding the bench until the starter got hurt. Two knee injuries.

I'm not down on Mills. I don't hate the pick. But like many, I don't understand it.

On the one hand one GM gets railed because he doesn't draft a QB in 12 years. On the other hand another GM gets railed because he drafts a QB the first chance he gets.

Can't make them all happy.

Can you give us an example of what kind of inside info this might have been? I mean 11 games is 11 games. He red shirted & was still riding the bench until the starter got hurt. Two knee injuries.

I'm not down on Mills. I don't hate the pick. But like many, I don't understand it.

On the one hand one GM gets railed because he doesn't draft a QB in 12 years. On the other hand another GM gets railed because he drafts a QB the first chance he gets.

Can't make them all happy.

I'm Ok with the pick. Although I would've gone in a different direction.

Pep probably asked Shaw about Mills. Conversation probably went something like this.

Shaw; we have a talented young QB that's wet behing the ears but has a very bright future once he gets through a few growing pains.

Pep: Thanks for the info. Who does Mills remind you OF

Shaw: A little like a young Luck. Davis is a really smart guy like Luck was.

Pep: I can work with this.

Back