Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Pep Hamilton's "No Coast System" Offense

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
A coastal offense could be distracted by the beach, as most people are. I prefer an inland offense. Since it's Houston, perhaps we could have a Bayou Offense, no one else has one of those. Or a Flood Offense when Mills starts throwing 3 or 4 TDs a game. Houston having a Flood Offense would be a perfect fit.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I am so hoping that the run offensive game plan no longer requires the running back to immediately put his helmet in the closest OLman's butt and try to push him forward
Can't wait to see how the Titans running backs like Tim Kelly's play calling - if they let TK anywhere near play calling.
But that works well for Tennesseeā€™s RBs

Hardcore Texan

Magnet Man
When or if he quarterbacks us to 10 wins that will stop.
I guess. That seems premature though seeing how it was his rookie year on a bad team that is not going to be possible right away. But when you look at things in context, stage of his career, number of starts, development throughout the season, no run game, bad pass protection and he still performed very well for a rookie. I am certainly looking forward to watching him develop.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I guess. That seems premature though seeing how it was his rookie year on a bad team that is not going to be possible right away. But when you look at things in context, stage of his career, number of starts, development throughout the season, no run game, bad pass protection and he still performed very well for a rookie. I am certainly looking forward to watching him develop.
Agreed. At this point, not even Tom Brady could get us close to the playoffs, this team is just to talent deficient. We went 4-12 with Watson and 4-13 with Mills in two consecutive years. Some of that is just the Texans and their history of ineptitude.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
A coastal offense could be distracted by the beach, as most people are. I prefer an inland offense. Since it's Houston, perhaps we could have a Bayou Offense, no one else has one of those. Or a Flood Offense when Mills starts throwing 3 or 4 TDs a game. Houston having a Flood Offense would be a perfect fit.
We have had the Mosquito offense for a while. It sucks.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Dropping or raining down 3 or 4 TDs a game? That sounds like the Harvey offense.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
The Texans have promoted Ben McDaniels (Josh Daniels' brother) to passing game coordinator-receivers coach from assistant receivers coach on a three-year contract.
Thatā€™s a pretty big title change along with contract extension. I wonder if they added the passing game coordinator title to keep him away from his brother?

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
and you know there are always 2-3 surprise openings... but

Dallas...Jerry always has a guy either as coach in waiting or name brand coach he is willing to overpay.
Detroit I thin theya re going give the coach there more than two years.
Indy...depends on if the staff can get the QB situation
seattle...Retirement and firing both possible
Washington...QB situation
Arizona...weird team, during a season they both over and under achieve. If the QB situation goes south they bet the under
Sean Payton will take a year off then become the Cowboys HC.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
In describing offense, Pep Hamilton begins by saying that we will employ power running ! May the saints preserve us ! We'd better start planning a way to get Neal in the 1st and Faalele in the 2nd. What does it take ??
Pep utilized Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener quite a bit with the Colts. Fleener catching 50+ passes each year and Allen mainly as the Y blocking TE.

Iā€™d love to see the Texans sign Mo Alie-Cox to be the Y TE in Houston. They could also look to the draft but iā€™d prefer they get a veteran and use draft picks on other needs. And Alie-Cox has his best football in front of him as a basketball convert. Already one of the best blocking TEs in the league. Him and Jordan would be quite the tandem.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
If Lovie is calling the D, is he calling the O too? I don't mind a good defensive coach calling plays. However, as a HC you have to split time between the two. What I'm thinking is no official DC, but someone is going to install the D from week to week with Lovie helping and then I assume radio plays to Lovie. Not sure if I like the idea seeing it seems to pull Lovie away from offense. Unless we have an OC that is top notch. Once Lovie gives him a basic plan they can make it work and then call the game too
Might be the only reason Pep Hamilton turned down other options and stayed with the Texans is b/c the team gave him full authority over the offense.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Might be the only reason Pep Hamilton turned down other options and stayed with the Texans is b/c the team gave him full authority over the offense.

Might be, but my sphincter will not relax until he clearly explains to me exactly what flavor of scheme our offense will be based upon .... and it better be PDQ .... I've got to start on my mock drafts .... fighting the Heebe Jeebees !!

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Get it right the first time? Man are you going old school.

Expecting anyone to be competent at their job in this day and age.

Thats like spotting Bigfoot riding a surfboard holding a tiki torch in a cloud of unicorn farts.

Of course, Im still mad they put mayo on my burger 3 weeks ago so.....but it was mayo... thats what you put on someone's burger when you're too lazy to spit.

Dejaview

All Pro
Get it right the first time? Man are you going old school.

Expecting anyone to be competent at their job in this day and age.

Thats like spotting Bigfoot riding a surfboard holding a tiki torch in a cloud of unicorn farts.

Of course, Im still mad they put mayo on my burger 3 weeks ago so.....but it was mayo... thats what you put on someone's burger when you're too lazy to spit.
Uhhhhhhhā€¦.it wasnt mayoā€¦or spit

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
New Texans OC Pep Hamilton runs the ā€œNo coast systemā€ which emphasizes:

ā€¢Running with power by creating mismatches
ā€¢Early down completions as an extension of the run game
ā€¢being efficient on 3rd down

ā€¢taking shots downfield

Doc posted above quote yesterday afternoon, (Thanks, Doc !), and I wanted to reply, but took the high road instead. This should be a time to be hopeful, but, assuming these are the words of Hamilton, they are all I ever need to know about "Pep". They are the thoughtless, empty word salad of a crooked politician. He had nothing to share at that time, so he spewed a line of crap - in the form of coach speak, meant to make us believe that he was splitting atoms. Sad too, because Lovie had come in previously, and quietly and honestly, spoken to us in a straight forward and authentic manner .... one that I'd bet 95% of us understood and appreciated. All Hamilton had to say was, "I am excited to have this opportunity, and although we haven't completely ironed out all the wrinkles, I promise, you will know our plans for the Texans' future offense in the next week." Thank you and the organization for believing in me .... it's gonna be a great ride" ! Problem is, once they disrespect you, you can't unhear it !
Understand that these were not Pep's words, just a barebones summary of a non-professional's personal oversimplified interpretation of the offense.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Understand that these were not Pep's words, just a barebones summary of a non-professional's personal oversimplified interpretation of the offense.
I love knowing that we might actually draft a RB and some beef up front. It is not in the article but if we do run the ball we would need it. 2 OL at least who are road graders. Guys who flatten DLs or better yet take up 2 DLmen or flatten them. And then a true 3 down RB. A guy who has decent speed and size, like Foster did (without the injury history). Besides so D help, I would like to see that in the draft and/or free agency. Please no 30yr old RBs, we need fresh legs.

CWTexansFan

ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ
Contributor's Club
I love knowing that we might actually draft a RB and some beef up front. It is not in the article but if we do run the ball we would need it. 2 OL at least who are road graders. Guys who flatten DLs or better yet take up 2 DLmen or flatten them. And then a true 3 down RB. A guy who has decent speed and size, like Foster did (without the injury history). Besides so D help, I would like to see that in the draft and/or free agency. Please no 30yr old RBs, we need fresh legs.
Our new running back.
1644898994369.png

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Doesn't mean he tried to hire him as OC.

Back to the question. The rest of the NFL seems to think he's a QB coach. Why do you think he deserves another shot at OC?
By that line of thinking why does Lovie deserve another shot at HC? Oh yeah, because he was the best we could get out of the available choices. You go to war with the army you have.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
By that line of thinking why does Lovie deserve another shot at HC? Oh yeah, because he was the best we could get out of the available choices. You go to war with the army you have.
I understand this. Deserves got nothing to do with it.

I donā€™t think Lovie deserves another anything any more than I think Pep has.

Iā€™m hoping for the best, while acknowledging ā€œthe processā€ seems to have some kinks