Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Open Letter to all texans players...

76Texan

Hall of Fame
You're correct about his time in Cleveland, I meant OC but was thinking OB and Kubiak and typed HC. In 14 Texans didn't want Kubiak back and neither did any of the fans after we went 2-14. Hell isn't that the thing people hate about OB is he went 4-12 and got an extension and then after each playoff meltdown had more power given to him? And again Shanahan did nothing to make anybody want him as a HC till he got to Atlanta and had his first good year as an OC. I maybe wrong and I wasn't on the boards back then but I find it really hard to believe you were pushing the idea to give Kubiak another 1-3 years and let him pick his successor.
As the owner, I would have Kubiak and always be on the look-out for a successor.
I would find one for Wade as well.

And I would have taken both Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins along with Keenum in 2012.
I had stated my case at that time.
The QB position is too important to ignore.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Watson, Watt, and all others...I wish you all the best. However, as a Texans fan from Day1, I can not vest my money, time, and energy into this team as long as the current owner shows his lack of competency with the way he has handled the GM / Head Coaching situation. Bill O'Brien is incompetent and arrogant. Again, I wish all players the best. I just won't be investing my time and money into this team any longer!
So.. You been here 5 weeks and leaving? Well bye I guess, we hardly knew you. Or---cant you stay and gripe a while?

DanielTx

Veteran
Watson, Watt, and all others...I wish you all the best. However, as a Texans fan from Day1, I can not vest my money, time, and energy into this team as long as the current owner shows his lack of competency with the way he has handled the GM / Head Coaching situation. Bill O'Brien is incompetent and arrogant. Again, I wish all players the best. I just won't be investing my time and money into this team any longer!

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
O'Brien isn't good at anything.

Even his supporters agree with that statement.

But now he's in charge of everything.

Gonna be a disaster.

HouTx11

Rookie
I am disappointed that a complete house cleaning on coaches didn't happen. The team suffers with O'Brien still in the fold, particularly on offense. However, I feel somewhat more optimistic about the next season than the way I felt this time a year ago about the 2019 season, because at least the Texans this time around have reacted to this pathetic loss in the playoffs by making a needed change at Defensive Coordinator. I guess spotting Andrew Luck and the Colts 3 TDs right off the bat and then the next year blowing a 24-0 lead was the tipping point.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

"Rankin had been playing very well".

Now, that's at least two guys. :swatter:
Well is an overstatement. He was barely a serviceable OG. Give me a guy who rushes for 1,000 yds and is a position badly in need over a guy who's barely a backup any day. But if you want to die on that hill be my guest.

BTW, A patellar injury can be a career ender. If can certainly cause lesser production. I hope CnD weighs in on this.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Most would not admit he's a good gm because he grossly overpaid and now has no way to improve the team with limited picks and too many free agents

Interesting that coaching, playcalling, time management, adjustments or offensive system weren't mentioned.
This has been proven false. They've got draft picks this yr. Just not a 1st rd pick.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Most would not admit he's a good gm because he grossly overpaid and now has no way to improve the team with limited picks and too many free agents

Interesting that coaching, playcalling, time management, adjustments or offensive system weren't mentioned.
It's impossible to have a reasonable discussion with you..........So, you'll have to excuse me if I let you find someone who enjoys :brickwall:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What do you mean aging?
The Texans were slightly younger than average in 2013, and that includes Lechler.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/snap-weighted-age-2013-nfl-rosters

AJ still had a full year left in 2014 and could be worked into the number 2 role without telling him 40 catches is the limit.
Kubiak can scheme even the slow turd Kelvin Water wide open.
OD was still good and Griffin & Graham saw plenty of usage under Kubiak, not even counting the RBs.
This just in:

Kubiak isn't the HC anymore but thanks for ruining another thread with useless Kubiak blather and I thought Gary was a great OC (Avg HC) and a great man.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Bill O’Brien can’t do no wrong in some fans eyes. They critique the heck out of Watson but won’t do the same for this coach.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Bill O’Brien can’t do no wrong in some fans eyes. They critique the heck out of Watson but won’t do the same for this coach.
I will do my critique of BOB. I hope this stops future posts like this one from you, but we know that's not going to happen.

BOB runs the offense he does because it limits DW4's turnovers somewhat. I'm for this since DW4's a young QB although in a way I hope they use him like the Ravens use LJ just to shut some people up around these parts. It also shortens the game and somewhat hides the subpar defense.

I like what BOB the GM did last yr. The Texans have draft picks they just dont have a 1st rd pick in the next draft.

BOB's got too much on his plate. He needs to focus on the GM/HC duties and let Kelly call the plays.

BOB needs to hire somebody in the booth to challenge plays and help make TO calls.

Overall I would say BOB has taken this team as far as its talent could take it. Every time they've lost in the playoffs they've lost to the better team.

With this said, I would've fired BOB after 51-7 that should never happen in a playoff game.

Last edited:

austins23

Hall of Fame
My open letter to the Texans...

Dear fellas, I was ecstatic to have been fortunate enough to get season tickets your first playoff year. Man, what a year 2011. Those home wins against the Steelers and Falcons were something else. Reliant was rockin. Did y'all know that Foster carried the ball 61 times for a combined 266 yards in those two games? That offensive line, y'all were fun to watch. And TJ, man we all thought you were the next coming after that Falcons game. That 50 yarder you chucked to Andre toward my end zone was epic! Y'all had my daughter and I screaming at the top of our lungs! Although the season ending 3 game losing streak was a bit of a bummer, you (WE) were in the playoffs! That game in Cincinnati, holy cow! My voice didn't return for two weeks! And then the home playoff game, what a day.

I couldn't believe my fortune that I got my season tickets that year. I was never going to give them away!

Fast forward to this year. Four AFCS banner in the last 5 years. Very nice accomplishment. Awesome in fact. But I just feel like there is something missing. My enthusiasm that I felt in 2011 is a thing of the past. It shouldn't be because I get to watch Watson, Hopkins, Hyde, Johnson, Stills, and Fuller on offense every Sunday. But every weekend the past couple of years has been a tremendous roller coaster ride. Highs one week and the expectations and enthusiasm is full bore only to have it shot down with a Broncos game type performance. I know that teams can't play perfectly every week and it's hard to win in the NFL, but it just feels like when y'all have a down game it's a real crapper.

I don't know how to really explain myself in a letter. I guess I'm trying to say I love the Texans and I will always root for a victory. Only starting this year I'm going to do it from the comfort of my backyard. I will not renew my season tickets. It's quite an investment for me that I just can't bring myself to re up. I will not be glued to my seat hooked on every play. I will tend to my BBQ pit, throw the ball for my dogs, listen to my wife a little bit more (maybe), and make beer runs DURING the game if I have to. I will watch and be interested but if I get a Broncos type game performance again, I will head to the golf course, or the cigar shop. I will not sit through that crap show of a game again, like I have in the past.

I wish and hope that you will continue to get better and one day bring the city of Houston and all your fans a Super Bowl. When that happens I will probably drink everything in the ice chest and cry like a baby, just like I did when the Astros won. I will continue to yell loud for you guys...best of luck, Austins23.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
What do you mean aging?
The Texans were slightly younger than average in 2013, and that includes Lechler.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/snap-weighted-age-2013-nfl-rosters

AJ still had a full year left in 2014 and could be worked into the number 2 role without telling him 40 catches is the limit.
Kubiak can scheme even the slow turd Kelvin Water wide open.
OD was still good and Griffin & Graham saw plenty of usage under Kubiak, not even counting the RBs.
To me, this is the most important part. How do you tell AJ what his limit will be without even giving him the chance? It's not like the wr opposite of Hopkins was a young TO. Much like Fitz, AJ would've been fine being number 2 behind Hopkins vs #3 behind Shorts

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
To me, this is the most important part. How do you tell AJ what his limit will be without even giving him the chance? It's not like the wr opposite of Hopkins was a young TO. Much like Fitz, AJ would've been fine being number 2 behind Hopkins vs #3 behind Shorts
Guess how many balls he caught in Indy that yr?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Make a deal with you, I’ll post all the flaws I think OB has, without blaming Watson, if you post the flaws you think Watson has, without blaming them on OB. Willing to bet I’ll have an easier time because I’m willing to see and accept that both are completely capable of sucking without any help from the other.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Make a deal with you, I’ll post all the flaws I think OB has, without blaming Watson, if you post the flaws you think Watson has, without blaming them on OB. Willing to bet I’ll have an easier time because I’m willing to see and accept that both are completely capable of sucking without any help from the other.

Dude I critique every freaking player or coach. I don't just focus in on one particular player or coach. When I see Watson F up, I'm one of the first to call him out. Go back and look at the game threads.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Dude I critique every freaking player or coach. I don't just focus in on one particular player or coach. When I see Watson F up, I'm one of the first to call him out. Go back and look at the game threads.
That's all well and good but I'm saying we do focus on two particular players/coaches. I'm sure you see me as an OB defender unable to point out anything he has done wrong and I know I see you as a Watson defender and don't recall ever seeing something you said he did wrong. I will grant you I haven't gone back through all your posts, don't have the time nor care that much, and you haven't gone back through all my posts, I'm sure you don't have the time or care that much. So this is just a chance to gather each of our critiques in one place and end this narrative that "Y does nothing but defend X".

RGV82

Random guy
Sometimes the blame game isn't always the answer. Sometimes coaches, players and systems just don't match up. Who knows? Watson could have very well won a Super Bowl on another team.... the Texans may be Super Bowl champs this year with a different QB. Historically speaking, when you look at all the dynasties, Brady-Belichick, Landry-Staubach, Noll-Bradshaw, Lombardi-Starr, etc., they just had what it took. Do you think Brady would be the star he is today without Belichick? And do you think Belichick would be the coach he is today without Brady? Personally I would not put the blame 100 percent on any one specific Texan player or coach. Clearly, Watson isn't BOB's QB, and BOB isn't Watson's coach.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
We do just every time someone tells you immediately reject it as them being wrong. Hard to have a discussion when one side has completely made up their mind and thinks anything the other side says is just them being a "X nuthugger"
The only answers I've gotten are "the team hasn't quit yet" and sometimes that's he's a good GM (we're talking about a 6 year head coach, not a real gm here)

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Sometimes the blame game isn't always the answer. Sometimes coaches, players and systems just don't match up. Who knows? Watson could have very well won a Super Bowl on another team.... the Texans may be Super Bowl champs this year with a different QB. Historically speaking, when you look at all the dynasties, Brady-Belichick, Landry-Staubach, Noll-Bradshaw, Lombardi-Starr, etc., they just had what it took. Do you think Brady would be the star he is today without Belichick? And do you think Belichick would be the coach he is today without Brady? Personally I would not put the blame 100 percent on any one specific Texan player or coach. Clearly, Watson isn't BOB's QB, and BOB isn't Watson's coach.
I don’t think that’s it at all. I think both guys are learning from each other & are growing together. I love my qb, wouldn't want any other from that 2017 draft........but DW4 is competitive...like, recklessly competitive & I think that's why we've seen him have a significant injury every single year he's been in the league. So I can see BoB feeling like he has to scale him back a little and protect him from himself at times & teach him how to somewhat corral that recklessness for the sake of the team........... and his career. That’s why we went out & used 2 out of our 1st 3 draft picks on o-linemen........& why we then saw the FO aggressively go out & give up what they did to get a Tunsil.....& why we see the emphasis on the run game.

On the flip side, DW4 is teaching BoB to trust him...what he sees on the field, what he thinks will work/won't work..suggesting plays...how to integrate more modern & creative ways to utilize him & move the ball. I've said it before but every single year DW4 has been in the league, something has been added into the regular rotation of playcalling that wasn't there the previous year. That's why its hilarious to me when people say that BoB isn't "using" DW4 right or he's trying to pigeonhole DW4 into his offense. Those new concepts wouldn't be in there but for him adjusting his offense to DW4 & all you really have to do is go back & watch what we were running pre-DW4 & after..yeah, you'll see alot of the same bread & butter concepts that pretty much every playbook has, but you'll also see a few new concepts that weren't there with guys like Oz, Hoyer & Fitz. Highly doubt we're running any RPO or say that trick play we ran against NE with any other qb we've had in BoB's tenure..1 b/c they weren't athletic enough to pull it off & 2, b/c he didn't trust any of those guys.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Bob isn't using Watson right. He isn't really using any of the offensive players right which is why despite all the talent it's mediocre results.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
This just in:

Kubiak isn't the HC anymore but thanks for ruining another thread with useless Kubiak blather and I thought Gary was a great OC (Avg HC) and a great man.
Kubiak is one of the HCs of the Texans.
Bringing him up to compare with others is very relevance.

As to ruining a thread, have you stayed on topic on any

76Texan

Hall of Fame
They had to borrow from the future to get a young LT with great potential to protect DW4 because the Owner ordered DB gone and the last 2 OT classes haven't had an OT in it near as good as Tunsil.
Something they should have done years ago; a fact that you had agreed with in the past.
They needed an upgrade from Newton, that can also move to LT in the future when/if there's a need.
You and I had identified a few in previous drafts, don't you remember.

The point is not about the trade for Tunsil, but the failure to draft and/or develop linemen in years past.
Like what Kubiak did with Winston and Newton.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Kubiak is one of the HCs of the Texans.
Bringing him up to compare with others is very relevance.

As to ruining a thread, have you stayed on topic on any
It has literally no relevance at all, and you routinely bring him up out of being bitter about the franchise letting him go after a 2-14 season. That was like 8 years ago now. Its been so long I lost count. I can't even imagine how bad of a football argument I'd be lacking if I had to constantly go back to bringing him up just to complain about OB. There are so many ways to create legit criticisms on OB. There are so many other current coaches and relevant comparisons. Kubiak has no ties to this franchise any longer. He has no relevance what so ever.