Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Open Letter to all texans players...

wasntme

Practice Squad
Watson, Watt, and all others...I wish you all the best. However, as a Texans fan from Day1, I can not vest my money, time, and energy into this team as long as the current owner shows his lack of competency with the way he has handled the GM / Head Coaching situation. Bill O'Brien is incompetent and arrogant. Again, I wish all players the best. I just won't be investing my time and money into this team any longer!

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
I feel about the same. I'm not going to just outright stop watching but if I got something going on on a Sunday I'm not going to put my personal life on hold for this team anymore, not staying up late for primetime games and ******* up my routine for this team. I been driving this ******* bandwagon since preseason 2002 the lack of heart and the general "I don't give a ****" attitude about blowing that 24-0 lead when we had our best chance to make a run to the Super Bowl did it for me. Texans are no longer a priority for me. This team is going nowhere fast with O'Brien I'm not going to stay emotionally invested anymore.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Watson, Watt, and all others...I wish you all the best. However, as a Texans fan from Day1, I can not vest my money, time, and energy into this team as long as the current owner shows his lack of competency with the way he has handled the GM / Head Coaching situation. Bill O'Brien is incompetent and arrogant. Again, I wish all players the best. I just won't be investing my time and money into this team any longer!
Have a great life.

I'm not giving up on a team that finished in the final 8

Although 51-7 says BOB should've been fired instead of promoted.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Now imagine if you were a Bengals, Browns, Lions, Cards, Chargers, Redskins, Jets, Bucs (Hi Hook'em), Bears, Raiders, Fins or Giants fan. Yeah as bad as we think we've got it there are a lot of franchises that have it far worse. Even some of the other franchises don't have a lot going for them, GB, Steelers and Vikings are much like us in that they are always in the playoff hunt but haven't actually been major forces. Denver won a SB but fell off the map after because they bet the farm on one season, if it hadn't worked they would be just as bad off as we are with nothing to show for it. Pants made one run and then fell off the map as well just like we did though I grant you they got further than us.

Dallas is a joke but I'm giving them a slight pass because they did fire their HC so there is a hope for them. Seattle and Saints are always in there but never have seemed to live up to their talent level beyond a couple of good years. Colts hit a wall when Luck retired, same wall that the Jags hit every year, as did the Eagles though they can't blame losing their QB a week before the season. Titans and 49ers came out of no where and good for them but before that they weren't even in championship conversations. Chiefs have been basically a mirror of us till Reid got his dream QB and as a Ravens fan I was more embarrassed by their melt down than I was the Texans.

Only team that has been a consistent winner season after season is the Pats and even they are on the downhill slide.

I do agree after that melt down there should have been a full house cleaning and if you don't want to spend your money on the team I don't blame you and more power to you but lets not sit here and act like we are the worst team in the NFL. There are a lot of teams that would be overjoyed to win their division just once nevermind year after year. Though if OB, by some miracle, decides he likes the role of GM better and hires a new HC I'd be tickled pink for that .

RGV82

Random guy
This is ridiculous. There are tons of teams in a MUCH worse state than us, with MUCH worse upper management and ownership. If you choose to abandon your fandom in the Texans, that is fine, but there is no reason to write all of that. You could write the same about half of the teams in the NFL. A real fan sticks by their team, through thick and thin. Your reasons for abandoning the Texans are weak. You can *****, complain, vent, do whatever.... but abandoning your fandom is a bit extreme.

Grams

Veteran
I am still a fan of the Texans. I just choose to not be as emotionally involved as I was a few years ago. I will still watch the games, but have no remorse when they **** the sheets and will turn the dial to something else. It is just for entertainment and I am mostly not entertained by the Texans anymore. It is fun to watch Watson when he is "let loose", but watching a run up the middle on just about every first down is not.

One man cannot do the jobs of GM/HC/OC all at once and spend enough time at each to do any of those jobs successfully.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I am still a fan of the Texans. I just choose to not be as emotionally involved as I was a few years ago. I will still watch the games, but have no remorse when they **** the sheets and will turn the dial to something else. It is just for entertainment and I am mostly not entertained by the Texans anymore. It is fun to watch Watson when he is "let loose", but watching a run up the middle on just about every first down is not.

One man can do the jobs of GM/HC/DC all at once and spend enough time at each to do any of those jobs successfully. His name is Bill Belichick.
100% on the above and fify on the bolded.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
On balance I enjoyed the Texans 2019 season except of course for the abrupt and disappointing truncation of the season in KCMO earlier this month.
I would prefer that O'Brien be replaced but clearly not gonna happen anytime soon especially since the owner has now come out and made a public statement of his support
and approval of the job O'Brien did in '19 and capped it off by officially making HC O'Brien also the organizations GM.
Word to the wise: get set for the 2020 Texans season under the guidance and leadership of one Bill O'Brien and maybe revisit this subject a year from now.
In the meantime there's 31 other teams to follow and support including the soon to be 2020 SB champs KC Chiefs or 2020 SB champs San Fran 49ers.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Now imagine if you were a Bengals, Browns, Lions, Cards, Chargers, Redskins, Jets, Bucs (Hi Hook'em), Bears, Raiders, Fins or Giants fan. Yeah as bad as we think we've got it there are a lot of franchises that have it far worse. Even some of the other franchises don't have a lot going for them, GB, Steelers and Vikings are much like us in that they are always in the playoff hunt but haven't actually been major forces. Denver won a SB but fell off the map after because they bet the farm on one season, if it hadn't worked they would be just as bad off as we are with nothing to show for it. Pants made one run and then fell off the map as well just like we did though I grant you they got further than us.

Dallas is a joke but I'm giving them a slight pass because they did fire their HC so there is a hope for them. Seattle and Saints are always in there but never have seemed to live up to their talent level beyond a couple of good years. Colts hit a wall when Luck retired, same wall that the Jags hit every year, as did the Eagles though they can't blame losing their QB a week before the season. Titans and 49ers came out of no where and good for them but before that they weren't even in championship conversations. Chiefs have been basically a mirror of us till Reid got his dream QB and as a Ravens fan I was more embarrassed by their melt down than I was the Texans.

Only team that has been a consistent winner season after season is the Pats and even they are on the downhill slide.

I do agree after that melt down there should have been a full house cleaning and if you don't want to spend your money on the team I don't blame you and more power to you but lets not sit here and act like we are the worst team in the NFL. There are a lot of teams that would be overjoyed to win their division just once nevermind year after year. Though if OB, by some miracle, decides he likes the role of GM better and hires a new HC I'd be tickled pink for that .
Well, all but 2 of those teams have at least been to a Super Bowl, and 7 of those teams you mentioned, won it. And all of them, yes, even the Lions, have been to a Conference championship game. Yes, that’s been much longer than the Texans have existed, but still.

I get that things could be much worse than they are. But that doesn’t mean sit back and be happy with what we’ve got. The whole point of all of this is to win a championship.

Look, it’s hard to win a SB. Only 33 head coaches have ever done so. 34 after Sunday. And you can’t have a chance to win a SB if you don’t make the playoffs. So, yeah, we’ve been fortunate in that sense. But you can’t win a SB never getting out of the 2nd round either.

I’ve always maintained that OB is average. Never said he’s the worst or one of the worst. He’s average. He can beat average and poor teams, that usually make up the bulk of a regular season schedule, and roll up enough wins to make the playoffs. But once in the playoffs and that schedule becomes nothing but the top teams, his teams can’t compete. 30, 18, 14, and 20 point losses. They’re not even close to competing.

Yeah, we could have it a whole lot worse, but it will never get better if you don’t do something other than what you’re doing.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Well, all but 2 of those teams have at least been to a Super Bowl, and 7 of those teams you mentioned, won it. And all of them, yes, even the Lions, have been to a Conference championship game. Yes, that’s been much longer than the Texans have existed, but still.

I get that things could be much worse than they are. But that doesn’t mean sit back and be happy with what we’ve got. The whole point of all of this is to win a championship.

Look, it’s hard to win a SB. Only 33 head coaches have ever done so. 34 after Sunday. And you can’t have a chance to win a SB if you don’t make the playoffs. So, yeah, we’ve been fortunate in that sense. But you can’t win a SB never getting out of the 2nd round either.

I’ve always maintained that OB is average. Never said he’s the worst or one of the worst. He’s average. He can beat average and poor teams, that usually make up the bulk of a regular season schedule, and roll up enough wins to make the playoffs. But once in the playoffs and that schedule becomes nothing but the top teams, his teams can’t compete. 30, 18, 14, and 20 point losses. They’re not even close to competing.

Yeah, we could have it a whole lot worse, but it will never get better if you don’t do something other than what you’re doing.
I agree 100% with pretty much everything you said. I think a lot of people do forget that the Texans have only been around for 18 years because, subconsciously at least tie the team to the Oilers. I also agree that OB has shown he is average, only thing I'm not sure of is how much of that averageness is him and how much of it is the tools he has been given up to this point. That's not an excuse, you go to war with the army you have, but we saw this year how even BB can't make chicken salad if he has absolutely nothing to work with.

Issue the Texans have is that their problems go far deeper than just the HC, people have rewritten history but there isn't that much difference between OB and Kubiak. Oh they each have their own bells and whistles but when you get right down to the core they are about the same. I would have liked to have seen a QB like Watson with Kubiak because I think it would have been awesome but likewise I would like to see a pocket passer like Schaub could do in OB's system.

This is, to me at least, the fundamental issue with the Texans. No one is aligned on anything, for over 10 years now the GM position and the HC position have almost seemed to be at war with each other and have different visions of how the team should look. Hell Rick Smith even said that was the case in that article a couple of years back. When the guy picking the players and the guy coaching the players can't agree on players then you are never going any where.

I'm not happy about OB being named the GM, though really who cares because he already had the power now he just has the title to go with it, but at least now no one can say the GM and HC don't have the same vision. Unless OB has split personalities which I guess is possible, his coaching sure does.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I would suggest starting with acquiring better talent. Which they did for the 1st time since 2006. They still were less talented than the Chiefs/Ravens but they did make progress. Hopefully they continue to make progress in this area.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I agree 100% with pretty much everything you said. I think a lot of people do forget that the Texans have only been around for 18 years because, subconsciously at least tie the team to the Oilers. I also agree that OB has shown he is average, only thing I'm not sure of is how much of that averageness is him and how much of it is the tools he has been given up to this point. That's not an excuse, you go to war with the army you have, but we saw this year how even BB can't make chicken salad if he has absolutely nothing to work with.

Issue the Texans have is that their problems go far deeper than just the HC, people have rewritten history but there isn't that much difference between OB and Kubiak. Oh they each have their own bells and whistles but when you get right down to the core they are about the same. I would have liked to have seen a QB like Watson with Kubiak because I think it would have been awesome but likewise I would like to see a pocket passer like Schaub could do in OB's system.

This is, to me at least, the fundamental issue with the Texans. No one is aligned on anything, for over 10 years now the GM position and the HC position have almost seemed to be at war with each other and have different visions of how the team should look. Hell Rick Smith even said that was the case in that article a couple of years back. When the guy picking the players and the guy coaching the players can't agree on players then you are never going any where.

I'm not happy about OB being named the GM, though really who cares because he already had the power now he just has the title to go with it, but at least now no one can say the GM and HC don't have the same vision. Unless OB has split personalities which I guess is possible, his coaching sure does.
Agreed,

Atleast now there's a clear vision.

Fans may not agree with that vision but there is a vision. I hope this works out.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
And if that vision does not work out (which I desperately hope it does), Cal will clean house by firing one guy.
Agreed, honestly if we stopped to think about we should all be happy. No GM they would have brought in was going to fire OB because if they were willing for that to happen they would have done it a long time ago. Now there truly are no excuses and no one else that can be pointed to and say "he's holding the team back". Even if the draft bombs again nobody to blame but OB because he made the call to trade the picks. I agree with that call but it does mean that you now can't complain if you can't get your target in the draft.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Bradley Roby is already out of the mix next year and rumor is because he cant stand OBrien! LOLLL sadly OP your letter wont reach the lockeroom, OBrien has implemented a communist type of information entry system within 4 blocks of NRG!!
I would like to have Roby back.

But if he's not on board with the program then see ya later.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I wish you luck on your journey.

I can't say that I blame you one bit.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was

The Houston Texans could be back in the market for another cornerback.
Although there existed a feasible chance that the Houston Texans could build their secondary with Bradley Roby, it appears both sides will go their own separate way according to Lance Zierlein of NFL.com. The real reason why Roby no longer sees Houston as a long term home is undetermined, but it seems unlikely that he suits in a Texans uniform for the 2020 season.

Whether it’s posturing for a better contract because he felt he was lowballed or Roby didn’t like the direction the team was going, it appears the Texans will be looking for another cornerback.
LMAOOOO .. these idiots let KJAX walk for the same money thinking they would get an "OK" from Roby after the 'prove it' deal!! LMAOOOOO

Woo Hooooooo we get Gareon Conley and Hargreaves as starting CBs next year!! Look out NFL here we come!!

edit: Hargreaves is due guess how much to retain?? TEN MILLION!!!! LMAOOOOO THE IRONY IS KILLING ME!!

Last edited:

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
These fan grievance threads instantly become the same conversation we're already having in five other threads.
Yep. I always urge folks to never forget that it's just entertainment.

And if the product no longer entertains you, find something better to do with your time. There are literally thousands of ways to be entertained.

That said, this forum exists specifically for Texans fan interaction, and often acts as a support group in that regard. Most Houston sports fans stopped thinking about the Texans weeks ago. We are the mentally deranged that continue to find some kind of entertainment in this dysfunction. :crazy:

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Yep. I always urge folks to never forget that it's just entertainment.

And if the product no longer entertains you, find something better to do with your time. There are literally thousands of ways to be entertained.

That said, this forum exists specifically for Texans fan interaction, and often acts as a support group in that regard. Most Houston sports fans stopped thinking about the Texans weeks ago. We are the mentally deranged that continue to find some kind of entertainment in this dysfunction. :crazy:
THANK YOU!!! For the life of me we have the Profanity Police removing posts that the systems own filter mechanism doesnt account for and a group of boomers who cant seem to find any happiness in life now that Deshaun Watson is QB!! LMAOOOOO Like dude go fishing with the grandkids or something its gonna be OK!! ( I bet most didnt know about the correlation with profanity and honesty huh?? - NM too deep a rabbit hole)

anyways Im slowly working my way to blocking everyone on here who gives me a hard time LOLLL "OBRIEN STYLE" Pretty soon it will only be ME, BAller, Santo and few other guys wondering why the 5 second progression from trips formation is causing a traffic jam 10 yards down field! (guess what - ITS NOT DESHAUN WATSONS FAULT HAHAHA - ITS THE STUPID OFFENSE!!!)

THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE!! I get a kick hitting "show ignored content" every once in a while to see dudes STILL respond to me when they know they are blocked!! MMMMMMM!

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
If you're down with a home game feeling like a road game, then yeah, should be a great gameday experience.
I'm there to watch ball...could care less about another team's fan base being overly present there. It's not like we have an appreaciable homefield advantage anyway with our lackadaisical ass fans not even in their seats by kickoff most games outside at tailgates getting drunk on their asses. Hell, watching the playoffs this year, could've sworn we were playing in Buffalo the way our fan base was drowned out.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Hell, watching the playoffs this year, could've sworn we were playing in Buffalo the way our fan base was drowned out.
Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. I didn't get to go to all the games this year like I usually do, including the playoff game. One that I did go to was Denver and was amazed that at least 40% of the people there were Denver fans. Buddies who sit next to me said it was worse for the Patriots game. The Christmas day Steelers game a couple of years ago was 80% or better Steelers fans.

There's just no juice in this town for this team right now. There's been games I couldn't give my tickets away. I lost money on my playoff tickets because this fanbase is so apathetic.

And yeah, I go to watch the games too. Still not all that great having opposing teams fans all around you going nuts when the Texans are doing their Texans thing, like getting their asses handed to them by the Broncos.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm there to watch ball...could care less about another team's fan base being overly present there. It's not like we have an appreaciable homefield advantage anyway with our lackadaisical ass fans not even in their seats by kickoff most games outside at tailgates getting drunk on their asses. Hell, watching the playoffs this year, could've sworn we were playing in Buffalo the way our fan base was drowned out.
Homefield advantage only works for consistently good defenses.

I've lost my voice at too many games to count. Usually on 3rd and longs and the opposing team would most often convert.

It quickly makes you realize that the '12th man' is only effective if the defense is already good and feeds off of it.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Seems like multiple players leave because obrien sucks. Let's see if he can keep tunsil and reader.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Bill OBrien is not God?
Agreed

But he's making personnel decisions. I'm glad this is finally happening, there are no more excuses.

I like the personnel decisions that were made last season, Tunsil is a future al pro type guy and I liked the Conley trade, he's better than anybody they could've drafted in the 3rd rd. The Rankin/Hyde trade was a definite win. The Duke trade was kind of questionable.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
THANK YOU!!! For the life of me we have the Profanity Police removing posts that the systems own filter mechanism doesnt account for and a group of boomers who cant seem to find any happiness in life now that Deshaun Watson is QB!! LMAOOOOO Like dude go fishing with the grandkids or something its gonna be OK!! ( I bet most didnt know about the correlation with profanity and honesty huh?? - NM too deep a rabbit hole)

anyways Im slowly working my way to blocking everyone on here who gives me a hard time LOLLL "OBRIEN STYLE" Pretty soon it will only be ME, BAller, Santo and few other guys wondering why the 5 second progression from trips formation is causing a traffic jam 10 yards down field! (guess what - ITS NOT DESHAUN WATSONS FAULT HAHAHA - ITS THE STUPID OFFENSE!!!)

THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE!! I get a kick hitting "show ignored content" every once in a while to see dudes STILL respond to me when they know they are blocked!! MMMMMMM!

Block all dissenting voices.

You're brilliance knows no bounds.

GenXguy I'm going to bury my head in the sand because I'm never wrong.

I'll leave you with this, Get a Life.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Man I feel your pain OP. Like others I will still support this team until the day that I pass on. Shoots my wife will be purchasing me a D. Watson Jersey for our 18th anniversary next month.
I hope that I can get as excited when/if the Texans win a super bowl as I would have had I been a young man when it happened but I kind of doubt it. After all, I had already pretty much quit watching the Astros when they won the World Series. Now I’m glad I never allowed myself to get all hyped up about that considering all that’s been revealed since.

As I get older I find other things that interest me more than childhood games I use to play and enjoy watching.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Homefield advantage only works for consistently good defenses.

I've lost my voice at too many games to count. Usually on 3rd and longs and the opposing team would most often convert.

It quickly makes you realize that the '12th man' is only effective if the defense is already good and feeds off of it.
Agreed. Fair weather isn’t quit the right term for Houston. I’ve always said that Houston has a bunch of front running fans. When the teams are on, it’s pandemonium around here...but when things aren’t right, nothing. That’s why I’ve got so much respect for Browns, Bills, Raiders and Jets fans. They are out in force no matter what.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Agreed

But he's making personnel decisions. I'm glad this is finally happening, there are no more excuses.

I like the personnel decisions that were made last season, Tunsil is a future al pro type guy and I liked the Conley trade, he's better than anybody they could've drafted in the 3rd rd. The Rankin/Hyde trade was a definite win. The Duke trade was kind of questionable.
Rankin got 6 starts before injury and he's still on his rookie's deal.

The Chiefs didn't need depth at RB.

Hyde is OK just like he usually is, though he's not involved in the passing game much.
Just OK seems to be O'Brien's thing.
The Texans most likely will have to pay more for him next year.

Conley is just better than Kevin Johnson.

The defense will continue to be the weakness.

Tunsil will never be an All-Pro.
He was helped by DW4 whether you like it or not.

The Texans won't be able to add as much talent as the Colts and the Titans.
The Jags, too.

I don't want to predict anything yet until the next draft is done.
If those teams hit on a player or two in the draft, it's going to be a long season.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

I totally disagree about Kubiak and O'Brien being on the same level.
If Kubiak had inherited a team similar like the one he left O'Brien with, he definitely would have done better.

Kubiak gave his DC complete autonomy; Wade said so in his book.
And the players all concur that Kubiak is a players' coach - not just here, but everywhere he goes.

It's just too bad that 2013 was a perfect storm when Foster got injured and Tate played hurt all year long. At one time, none of the TEs were healthy, and Schaub was just bad.
Same goes for the defense and the special team.

Though I thought the Texans would need another HC (due to Kubiak's health), I thought they could groom Kyle Shanahan.
That would have been good continuation for the long term.