Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Official Training Camp Thread

Fun as always. I think the secondary has some work to do, but who can tell without d line pressure in the equation. Quin is pretty yoked up for a db, buster Davis looks like a stubby stick of dynamite, barwin seemed like a loner and wasn't really hangin with the team much.

Fun as always. I think the secondary has some work to do, but who can tell without d line pressure in the equation. Quin is pretty yoked up for a db, buster Davis looks like a stubby stick of dynamite, barwin seemed like a loner and wasn't really hangin with the team much.
That's to be expected of a person with hearing loss in their life. I can completely relate to this. Don't misunderstand it to mean anything negative though. It's just tougher to keep up with group conversations so we generally just go in and focus on ourselves. He's only thinking about getting to the QB. Nothing else. Believe me. It's a positive thing.

Who is doing the blitzing??

Also... did Cushing make it to Houston in time for camp?

Cushing wasn't there. I mean it wouldn't be hard to find him, he's taller than everyone else and is our only caucasian LB.

I saw Barber blitz a couple of times and some LB stunting. It also looked like when the o-line got beaten so badly it was because of some slant action by the d-line... HOPEFULLY...

That's to be expected of a person with hearing loss in their life. I can completely relate to this. Don't misunderstand it to mean anything negative though. It's just tougher to keep up with group conversations so we generally just go in and focus on ourselves. He's only thinking about getting to the QB. Nothing else. Believe me. It's a positive thing.

Thanks for the insight, that really does make perfect sense. He seemed a little more stout at the poa than I thought he would be, but he was going up against Washburn. :thinking:

This was a very nice catch, Grossman fired it point blank at him and he just sucked it in, very impressive. OD had some fine catches as well, that position is strong.

Definitely... I'm not a advocate of keeping Clark Harris though if Casey or Zgonina could long snap.

I hope Mario does what he did to Steve more often and runs more back to the house. The TE's are a lock pretty much. Mario played even better when they did the 11 on 11 than he did one on one against Brown.

Blitzing and No Pressure.... Sound familiar! LOL!
icon10.gif

Don't get too excited. We've done the same thing since 2006. We show aggression and a tendency to blitz in training camp, and the first two pre-season games. Then our passing defense is exposed in the first game of the season, and the blitz is put on hold.
I agree with what you said about us showing aggression early. I think you're making some sense here. I can buy it.

Ugh. I hate Debbie Downers though. Lol.

I hope Mario does what he did to Steve more often and runs more back to the house. The TE's are a lock pretty much. Mario played even better when they did the 11 on 11 than he did one on one against Brown.

Any sighting of Jamison (DE) , #61 Verdell (OLB) , #71 Watkins (OT), #33 Nolan (S), #41 McCain (CB), # 27 Richardson (CB), besides Quin of course!

I'm a little confused on exactly how many practices the Texans are having? I've heard several different things such as...

Kubiak cut practices back to one a day. Kubiak hates open practices so he reduced the number of opens. Etc etc...

I read Nick over at HT and he talked about Cushing's contract. Kubiak states that Cushing will be in time for the afternoon's practice today.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5400

Okay... obviously they're still doing two a days. Did they have a closed practice yesterday afternoon? Are those closed practices off limits to the media thereby explaining why no quotes or pressers yesterday afternoon? Does anyone know approximately how many practices are there going to be total? Both open and closed total.

Quotes on HT that arrested my attention.

Kubiak said:
(on WR Jacoby Jones staying in the team hotel) "The guys have a choice, if you're a veteran you can stay at home or in the hotel, but he's one veteran who didn't have much of a choice, so he's at the hotel."
What? Anyone want to elaborate on what he's talking about? I don't understand where this quote came from. Did I miss something?

Shanahan said:
(on the backup quarterback decision) "We really didn't bring them in to... we have our backup quarterback, right now it's Dan (Orlovsky). Orlovsky is our number two, Rex (Grossman) is our number three. We brought him in because we wanted him to push him and we expect him to make Dan better. If he outplayed Dan, obviously it's just like any other position, we'll make that change. Dan's taken the two, Rex's taken the three. Rex is trying to show that he's worth us keeping three quarterbacks. We've only had two every year we've been here. We'd like to be able to keep three. So we're just trying to get a look at him."
Sounds like we're going in with two QBs this year. Grossman is just camp fodder.

Shanahan said:
(on if he has goals to work with his father) "My dad and I are close. I made it a point not to go with him early on. I wanted to try to pay my dues and earn some respect, but some day, I'd definitely like to coach with him. Maybe I'll have to give him a job next year, hire him as my assistant."
I doubt it'd be in Houston though. Schaub spoke highly of Shanahan in today's quotes as well. Shanahan is a man on the rise. FAST rise.

Andre Johnson. I <3 Andre. He said all the right things.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5407

Inthebullseye.com thread

showthread.php

from papabear

I was at the Saturday morning practice today. Thanks again to Nconroe for giving me tickets.
They're not in full pads so it's hard to really see much. Especially on the defensive side. Anyway, here are my mental notes.
-Adibi is noticeably bigger. He said he's gained 20 lbs since last year when he was sick and had trouble keeping on weight. He was spltting time with Diles at WLB. Cato June and Chaun thompson were splitting first team reps at SLB....Cushing signed this morning, but he wasn't out there.
-Mccain(rookie late round CB) is FAST....but he's small and had trouble jamming WR at the line. He also was lining up as gunner on the punt coverage team and had a LOT of trouble getting around the guys jamming him.
-Okam took some reps with the first team. Travis Johnson was out there, but limited and I didn't see him do anything. The coaches seem to be coaching Okam pretty hard...not that he was screwing up, but they really seemed to be trying to push him...like they know he's the only true NT on the roster. They did seem to get on him a little once though.
-Jacoby had two nice catches. One was an out that he had to go up and get and he did a nice job dragging his feet at the sideline. The other one was on a deep route where the CB had outside leverage. He did a really nice job leaning into him to create space back inside and had a nice little veteran push off before making a nice diving grab. Winston said he muffed a couple of punts at mini-camp, but he caught them all off the jugs machine today.
-Owen Daniels looked like a man on a mission....to get paid
-Casey had a great catch with two guys all over him. Gibbs was talking to him a lot on his blocking.
-Duane Brown looked really athletic getting to the edge on an outside zone play
-Demeco was pretty vocal, and he seemed to be enjoying himself. Lot's a laughing and smiling.
-glover Quinn looked decent at Corner....I think he's got the size for safety.
-David Anderson looked good catching the ball....but the best part was when they were stretching and he's singing and dancing the whole time while everyone else still looks like they are asleep. He cracks me up.
-Buster Davis is short
-heard the coaches atta boy Barwin a couple of times, but I really couldn't see what he did either time.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...~y2009m7d31-Texans-training-camp-report-Day-1

# Practice started with defensive unit walk-throughs on Field 1 (the field closest to the bleachers). QBs and WRs worked on Field 2 while the Hogs worked in their corner of paradise on the north end of Fields 2 and 3. Fans are able to stand beyond the endzones of Field 1 and 2, or sit in the bleachers along the east sideline of Field 1 (where the photos above were taken).
# Brice McCain won the 'first on the field' award for Day 1. He was accompanied by Glover Quin, Matterral Richardson, and John Busing.
# Troy Nolan and John Busing stood out size-wise among the safeties (similar to Brandon Harrison). We'll see if they can cover and run.
# Individual unit walkthroughs were followed by the 'movement' warm-up routine that was put in place last season. I saw no organized stretching after practice.
# Johnny Holland put the linebackers through agility drills along the lines of three-cone drills.
# Frank Bush had the look of a coordinator as he did his MBWA's (managing by walking around) among the defensive units.
# The Hogs are back in their little corner of heaven, trying to out-finesse and out muscle one another. Duane Brown appears to be ripped up compared to this time a year ago.
# David Gibbs tossed long balls to his DBs in simulated coverage. The first ooh-ahh of the day went to David Pittman who made a great one handed snag of a ball well over his head.
# The first groans came when Busing and Nolan consecutively brick-handed balls on simulated 10 yard outs thrown by Gibbs.

# Heard in the crowd: "Mario just has this other gear" as he blew by Eric Winston and Duane Brown on consecutive pass rushes. Yes, Mario looked like an All Pro today.
# Heard in the crowd II: "He's a lot quicker than I thought" as fans watched Arian Foster take a screen down the far sideline.

Yeah, Okam took a lot of snaps with the first team D. I couldn't really tell you how he did because its just tough to see and the fact that they aren't wearing pads but it was definitely something that caught my eye.

I'm a little confused on exactly how many practices the Texans are having? I've heard several different things such as...

Kubiak cut practices back to one a day. Kubiak hates open practices so he reduced the number of opens. Etc etc...

I read Nick over at HT and he talked about Cushing's contract. Kubiak states that Cushing will be in time for the afternoon's practice today.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5400

Okay... obviously they're still doing two a days. Did they have a closed practice yesterday afternoon? Are those closed practices off limits to the media thereby explaining why no quotes or pressers yesterday afternoon? Does anyone know approximately how many practices are there going to be total? Both open and closed total.

They have a walk thru practice in the bubble in the afternoon.

What? Anyone want to elaborate on what he's talking about? I don't understand where this quote came from. Did I miss something?

it was a joke. pretty funny too. it meant that they told jj that hes staying at the hotel as part of his maturation process (even if thats a contradiction). he cant be in a club if hes at the hotel

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/index.asp?mm_file_id=3274&play_clip=y

day 2 highlights are up. damn ive a terrible crush on the new presenter :heart:

Mario decided on his own to give me a little gift. Thank you Mario if you are reading this. I really appreciate you thinking of me.
Texanstrainingcamp016.jpg

Last edited:
Well after a brief nap, I only have this to offer. It's difficult to analyze the whole scheme of things when they are just going through the motions with no pads on. I saw some flashes of speed from a few of the running backs, a deep ball from Grossman to Jacoby, but the player that made the consistent catches on the hard balls was Daniels. I say we take up a collection amongst ourselves and pay this guy :)

Wow....great time at camp today. I cant believe how close the players were.

Nitro...I too was in the endzone when jacoby made that spectacular catch and I stayed to watch the defensive line practice ...LESS THAN FIVE FEET FROM MY FREAKING TEXAN LOVIN BATTLE RED #32 JERSEY i AM SHOUTING BECAUSE I CANT BELIEVE THE DAY I HAD.....

Did anyone see Antonio Smith go at the defensive line coach...its about time a coach lit a fire under a player. I am not sure what it says about Smith's attitude.

Mario was coaching up Barwin..who by the way is a good guy..but I didnt see him beat anyone off the edge.

Tim "In a china shop" Bulman is just that a freaking madman. He is Texan force unleashed. If that guy practices that hard.....play him now later and as long as he can.

I was fortunate to get some autographs and I think I was in front of gary but I wasnt sure (until I saw the pic on this thread....I wish I would have asked now.....sorry gary my kid was a handful..I will track you down tomorrow.)

Travis Johnson brought my kid out his shy shell and had him smiling. Sean Cody made his day and his attitude towards my son impressed my wife. Connor Barwin is nice and Tim Bulman is starting to be my favorite player because he plays hard and he seemed very appreciative of us fans

Jeff Zgnina was great he chatted up the line and talked with my son for a bit.

It took me a couple of hours to come down off the high....but guess what I get to do it tomorrow!!!!! see yall then and Gary I will track you down.

Nitro...I too was in the endzone when jacoby made that spectacular catch and I stayed to watch the defensive line practice ...LESS THAN FIVE FEET FROM MY FREAKING TEXAN LOVIN BATTLE RED #32 JERSEY i AM SHOUTING BECAUSE I CANT BELIEVE THE DAY I HAD.....

Did anyone see Antonio Smith go at the defensive line coach...its about time a coach lit a fire under a player. I am not sure what it says about Smith's attitude.
I was not at the practice today. I did not have tickets. I was at the practice yesterday and it was Andre Johnson who caught the bomb then. I will be there tomorrow as well but am one ticket short. Just going to go and hope they don't try to turn us out. I don't think it's going to be a problem anyway. The Texans brass have their stuff together.

Looking forward to seeing Barwin and Cushing in the AM.

Really about Antonio Smith? I don't want there to be any tension right off the bat. He's a new Texan. Let's not be so quick to ruffle feathers unless it's necessary. I need more details here!!

Yeah it was intense...the defensive line coach made a comment that if smith had made the sack they would have won the superbowl and the next play smith got blocked and I didnt hear what was said but Smith when at the coach and had to have two players block him.

Also Tim Bulman and an o lineman mixed it up..but Bulman was the one who got it going ..his motor was just higher...nothing ..the ol player cooled him down.

a couple of general comments I sent to a friend just now...

I liked how Buster Davis moved. He is so short, but he is fluid and turns well and doesn't seem to need many steps to get to full speed.

Deljuan Robinson looks bigger...actually he looked quite a bit larger than I remember him looking last season in camp.

Grossman looked exactly like the book reads on him. Wildly inconsistent with a sprinkle of really awesome passes mixed into some tight coverage....but that's with no pass rush. I can imagine how he looks when the heat is on. I bet "maddening" may be a nice choice of words.

Studdard also looked like he may have lived in the weight room last year. He really looked big and strong looking. He's still a little stiff when he moves though.

some people were asking me what I thought of this and that and honestly, I don't think we can glean too much out of no contact drills. The smallish fast/quick guys always look the best early in camp. Once the hitting goes live then the bigger more physical guys start to shine and the men start to separate from the boys so to speak.

Back