Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Game-Day Thread** Texans at Patriots- 7:25 PM Thursday, Sept. 22, 2016!!

HTown2ATX

TexansMetalhead
No Brady, really no Gronk, and we sucked this much c**k? Are you serious? Is anyone really going to defend this? A shut out? Really? I almost hope the Patriot players tea bag the Texans players after the game like you would in a game of PvP in a shooter game, they deserve it. I have been a fan of HOUSTON football since I was a kid in the 80's. So I don't want to hear some misplaced bullshit about "fandom". I have more "fandom" than you can shake your **** at.

But this is bullshit. EVERY time, EVERY time there is some huge "under the lights" game it seems some melt down happens. Tired of it. Some no name 3rd stringer looks like gold against you, no Gronk, you look like festering dog ****? Really?

Just like last year, we'll win the division sure, by being the LEAST shitty team out of a host of shitty teams. That's supposed to mean we're "good" for some reason, lol. GTFO here. I know people will hate this, but I am reality, and everyone hates reality.

*insert pic for those familiar with South Park and the reality character episode*

Showtime100

Got JJ?
I mentioned #34 before the game (I forget his name until I have reason to think he'll be here much longer). I'm only right about this team when it's a negative....lol.

nut

Veteran
that was a disgrace for the whole team. i guess the BO doubters will be out in force about his 74 mil w/ 37 guaranteed contract. hopefully he gets better

honored82

Waterboy
Its not about 3rd string QB..... its about Billichick beating us.
oh btw, i dont think BoB came out to handshake Billichick at the end.

fiasco west

All Pro
I hope they spend the next 10 days evaluating the offense. We need to come out faster, no huddle, with more throws. Get the defenses to back up a bit so we can run some. This was pathetic.
Our entire offense should be based on scoring quick so that our elite pass rushers can pin their ears back and wreck...instead we come out running. If it were working. Lamar Miller makes me miss 30 year old Foster. This guy isn't an every down back, he just isn't. I Hope he proves me wrong.

Showtime100

Got JJ?
I hope they spend the next 10 days evaluating the offense. We need to come out faster, no huddle, with more throws. Get the defenses to back up a bit so we can run some. This was pathetic.
Let's not forget special teams. They couldn't win in the Special Olympics this year.

jshabang

Quality Backup!
We won the first 2 games of the season but we looked like crap........ We really didn't deserve to win and now we see the real team........ Against a real coach ....... Guess what guys?? ...... We are gonna have to perform against the cream of the crop in the afc to really get anywhere...... And honestly....... This team I just watched can't beat any top tier team in the AFC......

All season it seams like we suppose to have young new receivers but they never seem to get open................ Not just this game but all season...... It's like osweiler never throws them open or they not getting separation at all....... Save Fuller on a couple of long throws that he damn near dropped......... And special teams never ever get a chance to return ...... Like the opposing team gunner is always there ...... This team sucks

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
Our entire offense should be based on scoring quick so that our elite pass rushers can pin their ears back and wreck...instead we come out running. If it were working. Lamar Miller makes me miss 30 year old Foster. This guy isn't an every down back, he just isn't. I Hope he proves me wrong.
He's the right fit for the system we aren't running where we pass to set up a run from a spread offense.

You bring in pieces that don't fit the offense you're play calling.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
I dont care the rest of the year. I really dont. Sweep the division. Win 10-13 games. Who cares. Your gonna get your ass whipped in the playoffs. Again. I'm pretty much done with OB. He's got nothing to show for himself. Other than a participation trophy. He can't X and O with the best. Got totally schooled tonight.

Showtime100

Got JJ?
Ryan Griffin named the Texans player of the game because the company (Reliant) who sponsors the "honor" has a contract and they had to name somebody.

Ryan Griffin - POTG. That's just another pie in the face.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Can we really blame the Texans though?

The Patriots don't have Tom Brady or Jimmy Garoppolo, but they still have their defense, their OL, their RB, their special teams, including their punter.

It's not like Jacoby Brissett threw for 400 yards & 6 TDs.

Coming into this game, we knew we had problems running the ball. Our offense as a whole was a work in progress. & Jj Watt had no effect in any of the previous three games against the Patriots. & we're traveling on a short week.

When our offense decided not to challenge the Patriots deep safeties, they took away the only thing we did well. No turnovers by our defense, fumbling away the ball on kick returns... our average staring position was our own 11 yard line. I don't think we have any scoring drives over 60 yards. I'm sure we don't have any over 80.

This is a learning opportunity. For our coaches as much as our team. We've got Tennessee next. Watch them this week, their defense is pretty good, maybe not as good as what we saw tonight, then it's Minnesota. Unless our defense gets us short fields, or Bill O'Brien fast tracks the offense schooling... expect more of the same.

& I'm not being negative Nancy. I'm saying what you guys are saying outside a GameDay thread.

If we can win two of the next three (Tennessee, Minnesota, Indy) we're 4-2 then split Broncos, Lions we go into the bye 5-3. We'll be a totally different team by that time, ready to make a playoff push.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
Kubiak has a superbowl and Obrien doesn't, so yes. By any metric Kubiak is a better coach than B'OB.
Kubiak was a fine coach whose QB imploded and who lost the hearts and minds of the team.

OB hasn't proven that he is a good coach yet and after todays game I'm worried he'll lose their hearts and mind.

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
Can we really blame the Texans though?

The Patriots don't have Tom Brady or Jimmy Garoppolo, but they still have their defense, their OL, their RB, their special teams, including their punter.

It's not like Jacoby Brissett threw for 400 yards & 6 TDs.

Coming into this game, we knew we had problems running the ball. Our offense as a whole was a work in progress. & Jj Watt had no effect in any of the previous three games against the Patriots. & we're traveling on a short week.

When our offense decided not to challenge the Patriots deep safeties, they took away the only thing we did well. No turnovers by our defense, fumbling away the ball on kick returns... our average staring position was our own 11 yard line. I don't think we have any scoring drives over 60 yards. I'm sure we don't have any over 80.

This is a learning opportunity. For our coaches as much as our team. We've got Tennessee next. Watch them this week, their defense is pretty good, maybe not as good as what we saw tonight, then it's Minnesota. Unless our defense gets us short fields, or Bill O'Brien fast tracks the offense schooling... expect more of the same.

& I'm not being negative Nancy. I'm saying what you guys are saying outside a GameDay thread.

If we can win two of the next three (Tennessee, Minnesota, Indy) we're 4-2 then split Broncos, Lions we go into the bye 5-3. We'll be a totally different team by that time, ready to make a playoff push.
You mean the playoff push where they get thrashed 30-0?

fiasco west

All Pro
Kubiak was a fine coach whose QB imploded and who lost the hearts and minds of the team.

OB hasn't proven that he is a good coach yet and after todays game I'm worried he'll lose their hearts and mind.
Unfortunately it's looking like that for the Texans. I guess for the Broncos at least they got a guy who got some experience here. Maybe we should stop hiring new coaches huh? I believe there is a stat that coaches always do better at their next stop.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
Unfortunately it's looking like that for the Texans. I guess for the Broncos at least they got a guy who got some experience here. Maybe we should stop hiring new coaches huh? I believe there is a stat that coaches always do better at their next stop.
Coaches take time to mature like everyone does. That is why stability matters. If we had retooled the team like we have and kept Kubiak we'd be a better team than we are today.

La horn

Practice Squad
Coaches take time to mature like everyone does. That is why stability matters. If we had retooled the team like we have and kept Kubiak we'd be a better team than we are today.
Kubiak sucked. Lucky in Denver. We'll see if BOB is the answer but don't act like it wasn't time for kubiak to go.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
Let's consider some perspective: We knew we had a bad O-line, and the offense only has 4 of 11 returning starters. And those include Su'a Filo, Newton, and Feidorowicz. Maybe our expectations were just a tad too high after a fortunate start to the season.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Let's consider some perspective: We knew we had a bad O-line, and the offense only has 4 of 11 returning starters. And those include Su'a Filo, Newton, and Feidorowicz. Maybe we overrated this team just a tad after a fortunate start to the season.
That's what I said.

We find out JimmyG wasn't going to play & Gronk was a bit iffy, & all of a sudden we're the greatest show on turf??

:ok:

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
I recommend reading everything PDS tweeted about this game. Some highlights:

PDS ‏@PatDStat Texans had 22 quarterback hits coming into tonight. They had ONE all game vs the Patriots.

PDS ‏@PatDStat Patriots had ONE negative play all night. Only ran 59 plays to the Texans 70.

PDS ‏@PatDStat Osweiler and O’Brien said the Patriots played a two shell with man underneath. Well aware of the receiving threats of Hopkins and Fuller

PDS ‏@PatDStat Patriots just neutralized everything the Texans did well the first two weeks. Stop chunk plays and slow the pass rush. Had zero answers.

PDS ‏@PatDStat The lack of running game is the main issue. They are not very good running the ball.

PDS ‏@PatDStat The Texans can't figure out what they want to do. Be a power team or zone team. No identity.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
My biggest problem is no mirror plays offensively. Nothing looks like anything else. Never rolled the pocket, no screens, nothing. The blocking has been terrible since game 1. Why would RAC press the ne wr's ? Defense playef pretty good,but the special teams gift wrapped 2 possessions inside the 20. Cant beat BB on the road like that.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
A lot of people get out-schemed by Bill Belichick. He's a Hall of Famer. It happens. No shame in that. But this was not that. This wasn't getting out-schemed. This was completely gutless. As far as I can tell our plan was to walk into the single toughest home field advantage in the league and beat our head against the wall until the wall fell down. One of the most conservative and vanilla game plans I've seen in a while. We completely let NE dictate how we played offense and we played on our heels all night against a 3rd string rookie QB making his first career start. We looked intimidated and we coached scared. I felt like I was back in 2012 watching Brady Hoke's Michigan team play Nick Saban's Alabama. This wasn't even a contest. It was utter domination.

I'm not throwing in the towel on this season because we're still the favorite to win the division in my estimation, but I am knocking Bill O'Brien down a few pegs. I've defended O'Brien on here for a long time. From the very beginning. No more.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
A lot of people get out-schemed by Bill Belichick. He's a Hall of Famer. It happens. No shame in that. But this was not that. This wasn't getting out-schemed. This was completely gutless. As far as I can tell our plan was to walk into the single toughest home field advantage in the league and beat our head against the wall until the wall fell down. One of the most conservative and vanilla game plans I've seen in a while. We completely let NE dictate how we played offense and we played on our heels all night against a 3rd string rookie QB making his first career start. We looked intimidated and we coached scared. I felt like I was back in 2012 watching Brady Hoke's Michigan team play Nick Saban's Alabama. This wasn't even a contest. It was utter domination.

I'm not throwing in the towel on this season because we're still the favorite to win the division in my estimation, but I am knocking Bill O'Brien down a few pegs. I've defended O'Brien on here for a long time. From the very beginning. No more.
They should've thrown the ball in the middle of the field to the TE's/RB's more. There were consistently 5-7 yd gains to be made and that would've gotten the Pats out of the cover 2 defense they were in. Instead of trying to run the ball up the middle where Mancz/XSF were routinely getting their butts kicked. Typically you run against cover 2, but not with the Texans OL.

Wolf6151

All Pro

^^^^THIS EXACTLY^^^^

There should be a headline in about 8 hrs. saying that Godsey has been fired. That conservative, boring, vanilla game plan he came up with was pathetic and it completely allowed NE to dictate everything in this game. I also have defended O'Brien the last couple years when others wanted him fired, but tonight he gets dropped down off my list of safe employees. McNair should have a fire and brimstone meeting with the coaching staff and O'Brien should be very aware that he's on a hot seat after this embarrassing performance.

Last edited:

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
What a freaking embarrassment. One half of football was all I needed last night.

Just when I'm ready to go all in they stoke my fanatical insecurities.

Please ... PLEASE! Stop handing the ball off out of the shotgun, that only works with a good offensive line.

Houston coaching was taken out to the wood shed.

Why was defense giving up so much room with a rookie QB?

ArTex

Practice Squad
What can be said is .. suprsingly there really isn't anything new to say.

Seen it, been here before. Same ol' same ol'

Completely outclassed, outcoached, out-played, out-everything in big games. And even if predictable by now, still surprisingly out-efforted and out-competed

Its not all a player roster issue actually. This was coach mind vs coach mind.

Does anyone REALLY think if you swapped rosters and gave Bill Belichick the SAME Houston players -- a Belichick team with JJ Watt, Hopkins, shifty receivers and strong versatile defense -- that he WOULDNT embarrass a Texans' coached roster? BO'B might have the REAL Gronkowski on his team playing down to level of "Gronk-lite" CJ Fiedorowicz.

While Osweiler doesn't look like "that guy" a Belichick coached Osweiler would make sure to NOT have him BE "that guy". Actually Belichick would just HAVE A professional game plan period. Something the Texans never seem to have in prime time/big games.

One small'ish positive takeaway is there is only so much you can do with the Texans patchy group of youth and newcomers on their offense. And it is still early in the season. Lots of guys being in featured NFL roles for the first time. Texans roster arent exactly the 90's Cowboys.

The negative is that while Osweiler and Miller are still surprisingly young as free agents pickups, they actually DO have EXPERIENCE in this league, more than a Jacoby Brissett who looked like the poised veteran. They SHOULD be counted on to PRODUCE now. And an experienced coach SHOULD provide them that opportunity

This puts a question mark on BO'B and the Osweiler pickup going forward. Even if they stomp teams rest of the way going into postseason, they've left too much air of uncertainty and appear as "pretenders". Which in sports is almost as bad a label as being truthfully mediocre because it makes it tougher to know WHAT the team actually is and what to work on

gafftop

All Pro
Let's consider some perspective: We knew we had a bad O-line, and the offense only has 4 of 11 returning starters. And those include Su'a Filo, Newton, and Feidorowicz. Maybe our expectations were just a tad too high after a fortunate start to the season.
Yeah who the hell put this team together??? How long has Rick been here??

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
Yeah who the hell put this team together??? How long has Rick been here??
Talent was NOT the problem last night, we had more talent.. Bill O'Brien's asshole chin has to be reaming after what Belichick did to it..if he wasn't a lock for the HOF already we might as well put the gold jacket on him at half time. In all three phases of the game we were out coached, I actually felt sorry for our players.

I have never seen a more horrible game plan on both sides of the ball, it's like Belichick drops stupid pills into the coaches drinks that he's facing... the game plan on both sides of the ball were stupid as hell.. the 3rd and 8 hand off.. the 3rd and 15 conversation where we sent everyone deep.. who in the **** does the Patriots have on offense that can burn you outside? Nobody, that was uncalled for

Last edited:

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Talent was NOT the problem last night, we had more talent.. Bill O'Brien's asshole chin has to be reaming after what Belichick did to it.. in all three phases of the game we were out coached, I actually felt sorry for our players

I didn't because our players fumbled and threw interception, failed to tackle effectively and spent a lot of the night getting their butts handed to them in their individual assignments.

They looked like they had no faith in the plan (whatever it was). That's what I thought I was looking at. Yes they were out coached. Our offense looked like the one with a scared rookie taking the snaps with the monotonous plays being called and our defense looked like it was giving the Patriots way too much respect. They looked like they were trying to play "prevent defense" all game long and just keep everything in front of them whenever possible. We were absolutely out coached.

But the players made a metric ****-ton of mistakes.