Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Game-Day Thread** Texans at Patriots- 7:25 PM Thursday, Sept. 22, 2016!!

TejasTom

All Pro
**Official Game-Day Thread** Texans at Patriots- 7:25 PM Thursday, Sept. 22, 2016!!

09497430-3cdc-4ad2-a1e3-a5c096dc905e_800.jpg

patriot-place-2.jpg

NATIONAL BROADCASTS
Houston @ New England (CBS; NFLN)

SportsRadio610 (610 AM, 100.3 FM)
Marc Vandermeer Play-By-Play, Andre Ware Color Analyst, John Harris Sideline

Twitter Stream: Link includes countdown clock (Thanks Papal)

Preview Video:

Flip Card: PDF

Officiating Crew: Walt Coleman (Claims to know what a catch is) Link

Uniform Combination: All White

Weather:
clear.gif
67° F Clear (Jealous) Full Weather: Link

A WIN AGAINST NEW ENGLAND WOULD...
• Give the Texans their sixth straight regular season win, dating back to Week 15 of last year, which would tie the second-longest streak in franchise history.
• Improve their all-time record in Thursday games to 3-5Give Houston its 100th all-time regular season victory, dating back to 2002
• Improve their all-time regular season record against the Patriots to 2-5 overall and 1-2 on the road

GO TEXANS!

Last edited:
Great game day thread Tom!

It's game day!
In 11 hours we'll see our Texans take the field against the Patriots. It's time to shake another monkey off their backs.
O'brien will go 7-0 against rookie quarterbacks.

BROCK AND ROLL TEXANS!!!

Let's hope for no stupid penalties that take a good play away, no turn overs, especially turn overs that lead to a New England score and no serious injuries that put any of our Texans on injured reserve or out for any number of games.

GO TEXANS!!!

Very much looking forward to tonight's game. GO TEXANS!

I think Osweiler will be the key. If he throws some picks on the patriot's end of the field that cost the Texans some points, or if he gives the pats good field position, then the Texans probably lose. If he plays a decent game, we win. He doesn't need to do anything spectacular, er, uh, uh... he just needs to be a... uh... good game manager in this one. UGH. Can't believe I just said that. And, with that being said, I hope he connects on a 70 yard TD bomb with Fuller V.

Hope Oz continues his progress, makes good decisions, and doesn't force any throws. He doesn't need to be a gunslinger(!!!!)* tonight.

*Just messin' with ya, JamTex.

Last edited:
Third times a charm. Game one, FullerV dropped it. Game two, he bobbled it. Game three.....

When they do connect for that "70 yard TD bomb" I hope it's early and often! Then later they might be able to get that running game (L. Miller) going. I think the real key to this game is how the O-line will play. If they can give Brock some time to hit Fuller/Hopkins and open some holes for Miller it could be a big game for all 4 and should be a win. If not, well, we're probably looking at 2-1.

If Gronk plays, I wonder if they'll have Bouye shadow him like they did to Kelce, I think Gronk can definitely beat him on high passes if they do, however this is reliant on ball placement from Brisset as well as additional stress on Gronk who still won't be 100% even if he plays. I still hope we play nickle most of the game, it's still by far the best defensive formation we have and I think BillBell will try to have the rookie rely on the HBs out of the backfield in the passing game more than normal.

6 hours to game time!
This game has me both excited and anxious. Excited to see the defense work it's magic against Jacoby. Anxious to see how B.B. has the offense planned for Jacoby to run.
Excited and Anxious about Brock and the offense. Will they be turned over machines, or will they take the new aerial attack and running game to new heights?
It's going to be fun to watch. Let's expect the worst and hope for the best, or should it be expect the best. ...to hell with the worst!

The brisket has been in the smoker since 9 this morning. It'll be ready at 5. My wife already made the potatoe salad and it's delicious. She already made her bad ass BBQ sauce. She'll get the baked beans ready just in time to enjoy the BBQ.
I've got 2 cases of Bud Light on ice.
We're ready for some Texans football!

LLLLLLET'S GET READY TO RRRRUMBLLLLLLLLLLE! ! !

Last edited:
I think Belichick, the GM, is probably the most overrated in the league. I think Belichick, the HC, is the best in the league. Especially at game-planning to take away the opponent's biggest weapons.

So, he could start a Wilfork type player at QB and I'd still not feel very confident about this game. Especially being in their house.

My rational mind says we should demolish them in this game.

My irrational heart is askairt because of years of Patriot domination, the relative rarity of Texans showing up in big games, and my old Oiler fan years (I have yet to recover from the back-to-back 1-13 seasons, and... well...other things best left unmentioned).

If Gronk plays, I wonder if they'll have Bouye shadow him like they did to Kelce, I think Gronk can definitely beat him on high passes if they do, however this is reliant on ball placement from Brisset as well as additional stress on Gronk who still won't be 100% even if he plays. I still hope we play nickle most of the game, it's still by far the best defensive formation we have and I think BillBell will try to have the rookie rely on the HBs out of the backfield in the passing game more than normal.

If we can just limit the big plays.. the YAC, we'll be all the better for it.

Contest the catch, yeah. But not at the cost of letting him run roughshod all over the field.

No doubt in my mind... it's going to be a blow out.
My thoughts too. Put strong and consistent pressure all day long on the QB and watch BB's house of cards fall. This is the best I've felt going into a game all season, this team has already proven to be a completely different animal.

I think Belichick, the GM, is probably the most overrated in the league. I think Belichick, the HC, is the best in the league. Especially at game-planning to take away the opponent's biggest weapons.

So, he could start a Wilfork type player at QB and I'd still not feel very confident about this game. Especially being in their house.

Have you seen Vince throw?

It's Houston going to New England to face a good team albeit with a 3rd-string QB. Of course I'm worried. You know who the zebras have been told to root for.

Over/under: Houston's communication system mysteriously fails with 5:00 left in the half if Houston is leading (over meaning it'll be sooner than that).

The recent off season was to deter the bold; our three biggest offensive weapons are Hopkins, Fuller and Lamar Miller; stop them and either Strong or TE Anderson should take us down the field. Braxton Miller should be more involved this game. Tyler Ervin and Grimes should be very effective from backfield.

On defense and what I am expecting to see are weapons on our defense throttling the Pats. RAC must have a 'rush the rookie' until he is shaken and bruised game plan. Our DBs should have a field day and I expect at least three INTs.

I had no doubt in my mind Gronkowski was going to play today. They did the same **** last year too.

Patriots will roll.

The recent off season was to deter the bold; our three biggest offensive weapons are Hopkins, Fuller and Lamar Miller; stop them and either Strong or TE Anderson should take us down the field. Braxton Miller should be more involved this game. Tyler Ervin and Grimes should be very effective from backfield.

On defense and what I am expecting to see are weapons on our defense throttling the Pats. RAC must have a 'rush the rookie' until he is shaken and bruised game plan. Our DBs should have a field day and I expect at least three INTs.
Braxton Miller won't be playing due to a hamstring injury.

I'm thinking Mumphreys will have a big game tonight.

Let's go Texans

I always respect your takes, man, but just curious why you think he's the most overrated GM in the league. I'm not sure how you separate it with the success he's had over the last 15 years. He's finding guys that he can consistently coach, and often they leave and suck somewhere else. He'll cut good players before absorbing huge contracts and always seems to land on his feet with finding replacements.

I gotta go with DB on that one. But saying anything nice about Belichick makes me feel dirty.

I'm somewhat concerned about Tyler Ervin tonight. Last week he played like a saucer spinning on a stick. I just hope he got someone in his ear about KO touchbacks and good decision making in general.

Reactions: ROO
I dont think it will be close. Texans full strength and with a workmanlike attitude about the season so far. New England's D is ripe for the picking. Our defense is playing outstanding so far, locked in on the road against a depleted offensive team? Forgettaboutit.

Reactions: ROO
I always respect your takes, man, but just curious why you think he's the most overrated GM in the league. I'm not sure how you separate it with the success he's had over the last 15 years. He's finding guys that he can consistently coach, and often they leave and suck somewhere else. He'll cut good players before absorbing huge contracts and always seems to land on his feet with finding replacements.

I think that he is below average at finding talent in the draft, but that's not the only aspect of being a GM. He is really good at retaining talent when he does get a hold of it, jettisoning players when they're no longer useful, and also good at creating an attractive place for FAs. Most people look at GMs draft record as their grading source for GMs, but really it's only a small part of it.

And even when Bill has questionable drafts he can still find ways to use those players in an effective manner, you often don't find out these players aren't as good as advertised until they leave NE.

All I know is the Pats are 27-2 in their last 29 home games. And Bill Bell is 5-0 when starting a rookie QB in his first game. Ignore those stats at your own peril Texans fans.

All this talk about the Texans running away with this game make me nervous. Bill is a freaking game plan genius. On D, he'll blanket Hop, and somehow make sure Fuller doesn't get loose for big plays. Maybe a deep safety over the top. Something. He's going to make the Texans beat them by dinking and doinking their way down the field and then relying on his D to play well in the red zone and hold them to FG's and hoping they can force some errors such as penalties and turnovers.

On offense, don't you just know he's like the evil mad scientist? I have no idea what to expect, but if y'all think we're going to just pin our ears back and rattle this kid into giving the game away, y'all are not on the same wavelength as I am. He's going to run God knows what. I'm ready to see anything from wildcat to trick plays to flea flickers to who the hell knows what. He's going to keep the Texans guessing and the book on this kid if as thin as Calista Flockhart - advantage Pats.

Lest we forget the number of rookies and journeyman QB's that have ravaged the Texans D over the years like a hot knife through butter - tonight might serve as a reminder.

The national media gives us no chance against a rookie 3rd string QB. Belicheck could run a Donkey out there to play QB and we would still be underdogs in the eyes of the national media. Unbelievable!!!

The national media gives us no chance against a rookie 3rd string QB. Belicheck could run a Donkey out there to play QB and we would still be underdogs in the eyes of the national media. Unbelievable!!!

not surprising at all...

I agree with HOU-TEX, I think Bellicheck is overrated as a GM. Now I'm not saying he's a bad GM, but I wouldn't consider him one of the tops in the league. He's popular for trading players still in their prime, but how do we know if that's necessarily the best move? I remember when they traded Logan Mankins, they had one of the worst OLs in the league that season. They traded Chandler Jones, but now towards the bottom of the league in sacks. His drafts are nothing to praise about either.

All I know is the Pats are 27-2 in their last 29 home games. And Bill Bell is 5-0 when starting a rookie QB in his first game. Ignore those stats at your own peril Texans fans.

All this talk about the Texans running away with this game make me nervous. Bill is a freaking game plan genius. On D, he'll blanket Hop, and somehow make sure Fuller doesn't get loose for big plays. Maybe a deep safety over the top. Something. He's going to make the Texans beat them by dinking and doinking their way down the field and then relying on his D to play well in the red zone and hold them to FG's and hoping they can force some errors such as penalties and turnovers.

On offense, don't you just know he's like the evil mad scientist? I have no idea what to expect, but if y'all think we're going to just pin our ears back and rattle this kid into giving the game away, y'all are not on the same wavelength as I am. He's going to run God knows what. I'm ready to see anything from wildcat to trick plays to flea flickers to who the hell knows what. He's going to keep the Texans guessing and the book on this kid if as thin as Calista Flockhart - advantage Pats.

Lest we forget the number of rookies and journeyman QB's that have ravaged the Texans D over the years like a hot knife through butter - tonight might serve as a reminder.

No no no though this time is different because....of something?

Go into this game expecting the worst. If we pull it off, be pleasantly surprised.

Otherwise, the track record speaks for itself. The Patriots do bullshit things and always end up winning when they have no business winning.

And I'm not surprised the "national media" gives us no respect at all. We haven't done a ******* thing to deserve even the slightest shred of respect and we crap the bed seemingly every single time we're on national TV.

Back