Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Game-Day Thread** Texans at Colts, Sunday Sept 30, 2018!!

Man i still like that call by Reich, had me fooled i thought they were just trying to draw the encroachment and take the delay of game penalty, them snapping it and going for it took me totally offguard, looking at how they were rolling man that totally should have worked, they were gashing us every play. You cant really hold it against Reich too heavy when you consider they only could have tied if they punted.

I shouldn't, but I'm going to defend our edge rushers a little. What happened to our interior linemen? I know that we're running JAGS and Covington was out (Reader too?), but we were supposed to have come into the season with a slew of bodies able to push inside. We had zero results from our DT's unless Mercilus or Clowney was inside on a blitz. Our heavies went backwards in both run and pass situations, which removes even the best outside rush.

If McNair isn't factoring that those division wins occurred when the division was among the worst in the league, he deserves a team that resides in mediocrity. We only have one playoff win under O'Brien because Derek Carr broke his leg.

It reminds me of companies that are highly profitable only because of a favorable market, so they ignore their internal problems and operational inefficiency. Then when the market changes and the profits sink, those companies go into free fall. It happened to us last year and it's happening now.
They say you have to watch cash flow.

If McNair isn't factoring that those division wins occurred when the division was among the worst in the league, he deserves a team that resides in mediocrity. We only have one playoff win under O'Brien because Derek Carr broke his leg.

It reminds me of companies that are highly profitable only because of a favorable market, so they ignore their internal problems and operational inefficiency. Then when the market changes and the profits sink, those companies go into free fall. It happened to us last year and it's happening now.

They are currently a lot worse than mediocre.

Great analogy, sorry to hear about the company you work for.

1. A tie is not a loss. A loss is worse. This is obvious and doesn't need to be explained.
2. Reich made a gutsy, but IMO ill advised call given the circumstances.
3. Reich's "we don't play for a tie" mentality gifted the Texans an opportunity they took advantage of to get a win when it looked like it was all but impossible.

I don't like ties any more than the next guy, but to pretend that to tie is somehow worse that to lose is stupid.
It was the first 3rd/4th down stop the Texans made since halftime. And the worn out defense didn't do it; the Dolts stopped themselves.

It was the first 3rd/4th down stop the Texans made since halftime. And the worn out defense didn't do it; the Dolts stopped themselves.

Odds are I would have wanted O'Brien to go for it given the same situation... But you better have a bullet proof play in your back pocket, or you're giving the other team the ball on your own side of the 50 when they only need a FG to win.

I don't like ties any more than the next guy, but to pretend that to tie is somehow worse that to lose is stupid.
A tie is better than a loss. A win is better than a tie. Reich decided to try to win. Even had the Colts converted on the 4th down play, a win was not certain. Just as a loss wasn’t certain when the Colts turned that ball over to the Texans.

Is the impact of a loss greater than the impact of a win? My view is that the home team needs a win more than a road team. A road team can accept and withstand a tie more than a home team because it’s not a loss. A home team needs wins because they are more difficult to attain on the road.

I also believe a head coack needs to show his players he has confidence in them. Especially a new head coach. An overtime come from behind win breeds the kind of confidence. A tie does not.

Last edited:

Welcome. There’s a lot more stupid coming. There’s a contingent in here who seem to want to blame everything wrong with this team on everyone that’s not in cleats..unless it’s obvious it’s the player.

There’s no mystery as to why we won today..the execution was much better, the defense played well...at least for a 1/2....we capitalized on the other teams’ mistakes and we had Less drive killing penalties. That’s what good team do.

Also, The line gave up 7 sacks, but the protection for Watson was better overall.

All of the rest of this drivel is just that.

Last edited:
So you've seen a team go for it in overtime on the wrong side of the 50 like the Colts did. Highly doubt and 95% of the NFL coaches would've punt.

Is that your opinion or ...

So you've seen a team go for it in overtime on the wrong side of the 50 like the Colts did. Highly doubt and 95% of the NFL coaches would've punt.

... can you provide a link to back up your claim?

:clown:

Don’t spin the conversation.

We were talking about having the guts to go for the win and I said that type of gutsy play calling comes from what the Eagles did last year.

It want to call it “very rare” to suit your opinion but Vrabel did the same type of play calling today.

I respect your right to be wrong.

Don’t spin the conversation.

We were talking about having the guts to go for the win and I said that type of gutsy play calling comes from what the Eagles did last year.

It want to call it “very rare” to suit your opinion but Vrabel did the same type of play calling today.

I respect your right to be wrong.

I'm not spinning ****. I just know that was a dumb decision in which cost them the freaking game. I see if it was past the other 40 yard line. Maybe but you punt that

Name them. The only one I can remember is "WTF is he thinking" against the Colts that ended up costing him.

I was thinking of the Colts and I'm not going to bother looking it up, but dont you remember many 4th and 1 Brady sneaks?

It was stupid. If you punt, chaos happens on special teams and you might get the ball back. If you punt, the 0-3 Texans are in desperation mode and would be more likely to throw into a mistake. Punting gives options. Going for it, even if successful there, puts you on your side of the field with little time to do anything other than chuck it and pray.

Stupid decision.

Yeah, but this team being bad is not the point. Ending a long losing streak is. Otherwise you could just hoope for a 0-16 season to get the first pick.

This team has 3 major weaknesses:

1. O-Line. I believe with one good LT we could almost fix the entire line - maybe throw in a RG for good measure.
2. Corners. Our safeties are actually going good but we are getting killed on outside routes. Again we need a CB1 and that may be it.
3. Playcalling - maybe if O-Brien hands over offensive playcalling to a competent OC we get better - but defensive playcalling was bad today as well. Probably a new coach is needed.

Bad thing is: it‘s almost impossible to get a LT and CB1 in FA - and in the draft those positions usually take some time to develope. But this team is fixable with a couple of steps. But it won‘t happen this year...

That's just it.....I don't want to see the Texans do just enough to miss the opportunity to be within the top three picks in the 2019 NFL Draft.....unless this turns around substantially and all of sudden they are playing for a playoff opportunity.

As long as the fans show up drink some beer and eat some BBQ mediocrity is good enough for McNair. Always has been/Always will be.

If I'm correct, the last time I was McNair's office, he had a plaque on his wall that stated:

"Just Give Them Enough Hope"

I felt like Confucius should've been on hand to explain whether that motto was aimed at the organization or fans.

Odds are I would have wanted O'Brien to go for it given the same situation... But you better have a bullet proof play in your back pocket, or you're giving the other team the ball on your own side of the 50 when they only need a FG to win.

You know that "bullet proof play and O'Brien have no business being used in the same sentence. O'Brien's sole bullet prof play in that type of situation, run Miller off Center.

As long as the fans show up drink some beer and eat some BBQ mediocrity is good enough for McNair. Always has been/Always will be.
That's 99% of pro sports owners. The NFL is set up so that there really is no special reward for fielding a winning team. Financial parity as well as competitive parity.

Well I stand corrected , the Titans went for it on 4th down, needing 15 yards. They were on the wrong side of the 50 yard line (30). And actually won the game.

It was stupid. If you punt, chaos happens on special teams and you might get the ball back. If you punt, the 0-3 Texans are in desperation mode and would be more likely to throw into a mistake. Punting gives options. Going for it, even if successful there, puts you on your side of the field with little time to do anything other than chuck it and pray.

Stupid decision.
I know he said he wasn't playing for a tie, but the worst case scenario for Frank Reich in that game should have been a tie and not a loss. And like you said if you punt you're still giving yourself options with field position.

What if we muff the punt or turn the ball over? All of a sudden the Colts just improved their field position for a potential game winning field goal. Even if none of that happens the Colts likely walk away from that game with a tie and not a loss.

Having the safety net of a tie sure beats losing that hard fought game. You owe it to your players not to lose that game. Frank Reich just wasted their blood, sweat and pain. A lot of guys left that game with injuries as well.

I really wish we had NFL coaches on here.

LOL it’s so obvious that we don’t, it’s downright painful.

Anyone who was watching that game says later on that they didn’t immediately go “why the f’ck is he not punting” is lying. They should twist themselves into a knot in order to bash OB some other way, because this dog won’t hunt.

Good morning from Cincinnati everyone !!!

My son and I had a great time at the game yesterday and a great weekend in Indy overall.
I got him a red Texans banner and we got to the game early. He can be seen in a few of these pics from the official site.
https://www.houstontexans.com/photo...at-colts#937af3c5-c498-473d-8bce-9ef892e98325

When it was all said and done, he had signatures from Watson, Clowney, Mercilus, Blue, Joseph, Colvin, Webster and a couple others he couldn't remember (see pic below).
He also had JJ throw him the ball a couple of times as he went around the stadium during the pregame.
Needless to say, he walked away more than happy and then saw the Texans get their first win.

Boy that o-line is just abysmal. Like I said before, it reminds me of my Bengals from last year. Just wrecks everything. Get that fixed and they are off.
I can't speak for them all, but the Colts fans around us were in shock they weren't punting at the end of the game. Many yelling, "NOOOOOOOOOOOO" !!!
The group next to me said, "If they don't convert, they lose on a FG, bank it". Sure enough.

In building the 28-10 lead, the Texans looked really solid. Everything else after that, was painful.
While I'm not familiar with who calls plays on both sides of the ball for the Texans, someone needs to thank them for making a "how to" video on how to play call to blow a lead.

Some side notes:
It was cool to be there when Vinatieri set the NFL all time field goal record.
The Colts honored LB, Edwin Jackson that was killed in a car accident and that was pretty nice to see as well.
There was a break in the game for a little bit when one of the security dudes just collapsed on the sidelines. Didn't hear anything, but I hope that dude was ok.

Ok Texans fans, I will keep up and continue rooting for you guys through the season.
Take care everyone !!!

Texans Banner.jpg

I hate that Frank Reich did this because it takes the spotlight off of all of Bill O'Brien's horrible, inexplicable decisions and his team blowing an 18 point lead in a quarter and a half today.

That's right...b/c it was Frank Reich's **** up as opposed to what BoB or the Texans football team actually did. You guys must live horrible lives if all you ever see is the negative side of something.

The Texans struggled to average just under 20 ppg in the 1st 3 games. Yesterday minus the defensive TD and the OT fg, they put up 27. As with all things, there's usually never 1 problem and/or 1 solution. You'd never know it though by how this board reacts to every single goddamn decision/call BoB makes...or doesn't make.

DW4 still got sacked 7 times yesterday...but did it actually feel like protection was an issue like it did in the 1st 3 games? Nope.

Reactions: JB
Good morning from Cincinnati everyone !!!

My son and I had a great time at the game yesterday and a great weekend in Indy overall.
I got him a red Texans banner and we got to the game early. He can be seen in a few of these pics from the official site.
https://www.houstontexans.com/photo...at-colts#937af3c5-c498-473d-8bce-9ef892e98325

When it was all said and done, he had signatures from Watson, Clowney, Mercilus, Blue, Joseph, Colvin, Webster and a couple others he couldn't remember (see pic below).
He also had JJ throw him the ball a couple of times as he went around the stadium during the pregame.
Needless to say, he walked away more than happy and then saw the Texans get their first win.

Boy that o-line is just abysmal. Like I said before, it reminds me of my Bengals from last year. Just wrecks everything. Get that fixed and they are off.
I can't speak for them all, but the Colts fans around us were in shock they weren't punting at the end of the game. Many yelling, "NOOOOOOOOOOOO" !!!
The group next to me said, "If they don't convert, they lose on a FG, bank it". Sure enough.

In building the 28-10 lead, the Texans looked really solid. Everything else after that, was painful.
While I'm not familiar with who calls plays on both sides of the ball for the Texans, someone needs to thank them for making a "how to" video on how to play call to blow a lead.

Some side notes:
It was cool to be there when Vinatieri set the NFL all time field goal record.
The Colts honored LB, Edwin Jackson that was killed in a car accident and that was pretty nice to see as well.
There was a break in the game for a little bit when one of the security dudes just collapsed on the sidelines. Didn't hear anything, but I hope that dude was ok.

Ok Texans fans, I will keep up and continue rooting for you guys through the season.
Take care everyone !!!

View attachment 3968

I have that same banner thingy.

Well I stand corrected , the Titans went for it on 4th down, needing 15 yards. They were on the wrong side of the 50 yard line (30). And actually won the game.
That's right...b/c it was Frank Reich's **** up as opposed to what BoB or the Texans football team actually did. You guys must live horrible lives if all you ever see is the negative side of something.

The Texans struggled to average just under 20 ppg in the 1st 3 games. Yesterday minus the defensive TD and the OT fg, they put up 27. As with all things, there's usually never 1 problem and/or 1 solution. You'd never know it though by how this board reacts to every single goddamn decision/call BoB makes...or doesn't make.

DW4 still got sacked 7 times yesterday...but did it actually feel like protection was an issue like it did in the 1st 3 games? Nope.

Nope because Watson caused most of those sacks.

So if the Colts complete the pass, go on to get into FG range and Vinateri kicks the game winner, Reich makes a great decision?
yep.
Reich put the game in Luck's hands instead of hoping his defense might stop Watson & Co one more time.
Can't really blame him for that choice.

It wasn't a dumb call on Reich's part b/c lets be clear, the pass was there for completion. The execution was just bad as Luck basically threw it in the dirt. Texans fans should take note of that. More often than not, its the execution of the play rather than the play called.

yep.
Reich put the game in Luck's hands instead of hoping his defense might stop Watson & Co one more time.
Can't really blame him for that choice.

having to stop a team that would have to drive 50-70 yards to get into field goal range with no time outs and under 20 seconds seems like an easier task. Analytically it was a very bad decision

#Texans coach Bill O’Brien says the #Cowboys are "well-coached." Don’t tell their fans he said that.

— Mark Lane (@therealmarklane) October 1, 2018

O’Brien on Kendall Lamm at RT: He played tough. He did a good job. #Texans

— Deepi Sidhu (@DeepSlant) October 1, 2018

#Texans coach Bill O’Brien says he chose to go with a draw with 45 seconds to go in regulation to get the drive going. Houston had no timeouts at the moment.

— Mark Lane (@therealmarklane) October 1, 2018

O’Brien says Lamar Miller was "banged up" in Sunday’s win, but is going to be ok. #Texans

— Deepi Sidhu (@DeepSlant) October 1, 2018

Mark Lane@therealmarklane
https://twitter.com/therealmarklane/status/1046809907838816257

#Texans coach Bill O'Brien says Deshaun Watson needs to work on his "silent alarm" when it comes to making the safe play, not necessarily trying to make every play.

12:11 PM - Oct 1, 2018

Aaron Reiss

✔@aaronjreiss

https://twitter.com/aaronjreiss/status/1046809437011410944

Bill O'Brien said it "sounds like" #Texans CB Aaron Colvin could play against this year, but he's not sure.

12:09 PM - Oct 1, 2018

having to stop a team that would have to drive 50-70 yards to get into field goal range with no time outs and under 20 seconds seems like an easier task. Analytically it was a very bad decision

I was shocked when they decided to go for it. I felt like we were the recipients of an early Christmas gift !

I was shocked when they decided to go for it. I felt like we were the recipients of an early Christmas gift !

Yea I kind of get why they went for it, the whole 2nd half an in OT our corners were playing 7-8 yards off the line, and they were having their way with our secondary. But magically Crennel decided to have the corners play press coverage that play.

Hofer Shannon Sharpe doesn't know what he's talking about either. He basically said that was a terrible decision by Coach Reich.

OMG!! Somebody on TV validates my take!! Yippee!!!!!

Look, I never said it wasn't a bad call. I simply maintain that I can understand the decision to make it. A gassed defense, a 2nd half torch job, converting SEVEN 3rd and 10+, if ever there was a time to make that call, if you're crazy enough to make it, that was probably it.

If Reich maintains that he goes for it 10 times out of 10, then yeah, he's an idiot. Situation plays a part.

Again, I never said it was a good call, but I can see the reasoning to make it. And if you're going to make it, don't F around with trying to draw the Texans offsides and burn a TO. I think that was a dumber decision than going for it was.

OMG!! Somebody on TV validates my take!! Yippee!!!!!

Look, I never said it wasn't a bad call. I simply maintain that I can understand the decision to make it. A gassed defense, a 2nd half torch job, converting SEVEN 3rd and 10+, if ever there was a time to make that call, if you're crazy enough to make it, that was probably it.

If Reich maintains that he goes for it 10 times out of 10, then yeah, he's an idiot. Situation plays a part.

Again, I never said it was a good call, but I can see the reasoning to make it. And if you're going to make it, don't F around with trying to draw the Texans offsides and burn a TO. I think that was a dumber decision than going for it was.

On the flip side the Texans went for it yesterday too. They were 4th and 15 on the wrong side of 50 , the 30 yard line. Went for it, got it and the ending result was a TD to win the game. They had more than 27 seconds on the clock.

So I stand corrected.

On the flip side the Texans went for it yesterday too. They were 4th and 15 on the wrong side of 50 , the 30 yard line. Went for it, got it and the ending result was a TD to win the game. They had more than 27 seconds on the clock.

So I stand corrected.

I believe the Eagles already had kicked a FG in OT, so different situation. The Titans have to go for it, because the game is over if they give possession back to the Eagles

Welcome. There’s a lot more stupid coming. There’s a contingent in here who seem to want to blame everything wrong with this team on everyone that’s not in cleats..unless it’s obvious it’s the player.

There’s no mystery as to why we won today..the execution was much better, the defense played well...at least for a 1/2....we capitalized on the other teams’ mistakes and we had Less drive killing penalties. That’s what good team do.

Also, The line gave up 7 sacks, but the protection for Watson was better overall.

All of the rest of this drivel is just that.

I see... here comes the dumb.

You said the line played better despite giving up 7 sacks & rushing below our previous 3 game average.

You say the defense played well for a half, even though we gave up more yards & points than any of the previous three games.

But because the players played so well, we won the game.

Did you notice the difference in the types of plays we ran Yesterday vs the types of plays we ran weeks 1,2, & 3? Both sides of the ball?

May be dumb, but I think the change in coaching led to better play, which led to better results despite the adversity.

I see... here comes the dumb.

You said the line played better despite giving up 7 sacks & rushing below our previous 3 game average.

You say the defense played well for a half, even though we gave up more yards & points than any of the previous three games.

But because the players played so well, we won the game.

Did you notice the difference in the types of plays we ran Yesterday vs the types of plays we ran weeks 1,2, & 3? Both sides of the ball?

May be dumb, but I think the change in coaching led to better play, which led to better results despite the adversity.

We incorportated a few different plays against the Colts that we hadn't ran in the previous 3 games. That's it. There was no fundamental change
in how the game had been coached man.

The fundamental "change" is the players executed better than they had in the previous games.

Back