Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

**Official Game-Day Thread** Pats at Texans, Saturday August 19, 2017!!

So funny story my brother invited me to go to the game, all week he's saying 'theyre nosebleeds, don't get too excited" and it didn't really matter to me. We show up tailgate, drinking ice cold Coronas having a blast. Time to go in and we just instinctly head to the top floor and I ask him "hey 6 what is the section?" Hes looking confused at the tickets. They say 749. First time I had seen that number sequence too so we get to the usher near elevator. She looks at tickets and points to elevator. Chairman's Club tickets. Free everything minus the alcohol. Yes they were really high, but it was a really neat experience especially since we were expecting the polar opposite. Anywho...

Savage is the starter. Deshaun looked like a lost rookie. Ellington will probably be the 2nd best WR this year. #51 is a stud. Cunningham is a stud, our defense is going to F **** up. Special teams are pissing me off (what else is new) and the offensive line played better, maybe subpar talent on NE front 7?

Offense is still the high school inside dive mixed in with the standard route tree. I wish O'Brien was more creative and used the guys talents. Lamar Miller not running stretch dives off tackle and drawing up stuff to get him in space is a travesty. Nothing pains my heart more than to watch the gazelle run smack dab into the pack of lions. Over and over again. Sigh. But yeah our defense man they're gonna be good.

Savage is the starter. Deshaun looked like a lost rookie.

Looked like a rookie... yeah. Lost rookie?

I think he & his receivers are out of sync. I think he sailed that one in the end zone... But I wouldn't say he looked lost. His poise was as good if not better than last week.

Refocused: Houston Texans 27, New England Patriots 23
By PFF Analysis Team • Aug 20, 2017

A Tom Savage touchdown pass to WR Jaelen Strong put the Texans ahead, but Tom Brady, Rex Burkhead, and three Stephen Goskowski field goals put the Patriots up in the early third quarter.

However, a Deshaun Watson touchdown run in the late third quarter and a D’Onta Foreman touchdown in the fourth quarter gave the Texans a lead, and victory by a final score of 27-23, Texans over Patriots. With that we give you our PFF exclusive takeaways from the contest for each team.

Top 5 Grades:
Edge Ufomba Kamalu, 89.8 overall grade

Edge Tony Washington Jr., 85.4 overall grade

CB Denzel Rice, 82.1 overall grade

DI Matthew Godin, 81.4 overall grade

LB Brian Peters, 81.3 overall grade

Performances of Note:
WR Bruce Ellington, 76.8 overall grade
Making the start despite being signed by the team just last week, Ellington had a nice debut in a Texans uniform. Texans quarterbacks had a 118.8 passer rating when targeting Ellington Saturday night, as he hauled in four of five targets for 93 yards; Ellington caught both of his targets for a total of 48 yards — including a superb catch along the sidelines — when he was being covered by Malcolm Butler.

QB Tom Savage, 72.0 overall grade
Savage once again moved the ball effectively with the first-team offense as he connected on eight of his nine pass attempts. Savage was a perfect 3-for-3 when blitzed on Saturday night for a total of 20 yards and a touchdown.

The game-ball selection for the game went to Kamalu after scoring a sack, three additional QB pressures, and a mighty healthy 12.5 pass-rushing productivity over 26 pass-rushing snaps. Kamalu would also collect three tackles (zero missed) in run defense that enabled him to cruise to the second-highest run-stop percentage (20.0) of preseason Week 3 at his position.

Washington didn’t quite match the overall grading of Kamalu, but made a valiant effort nonetheless. Washington did his damage on pass-rush snaps from the left edge, resulting in a sack, a QB hit and an additional pressure. For his efforts, Washington scored a 9.6 pass-rushing productivity that ranked him with the 20th-best such output from preseason Week 3 among 3-4 outside linebackers.

Top 5 Grades:
Edge Adam Butler, 83.4 overall grade

DI Alan Branch, 82.8 overall grade

Edge Kony Ealy, 81.7 overall grade

LB Trevor Bates, 81.6 overall grade

DI Lawrence Guy, 81.3 overall grade

Performances of Note:
QB Tom Brady, 49.8 overall grade
The Patriots’ offense controlled the clock throughout the game, but ultimately came up short on several promising drives. No need to hit the panic button in response to Brady’s performance, as the offense was clearly not at full strength, and the situation should be chalked up as a shaking-off-the-rust narrative. In fact, Brady was quite crisp with the majority of his throws, but the minimal snaps (16) couldn’t erase the damage from a pair of errant throws. On the plus side, Brady came under pressure twice while on the field, and found RB Rex Burkhead on an underneath route for a 22-yard catch-and-run into the end zone.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Rico, find your comments on Cunningham interesting. Others seem to say he's lost and lacking.

What do you like about his game so far??

Refocused: Houston Texans 27, New England Patriots 23
By PFF Analysis Team • Aug 20, 2017

A Tom Savage touchdown pass to WR Jaelen Strong put the Texans ahead, but Tom Brady, Rex Burkhead, and three Stephen Goskowski field goals put the Patriots up in the early third quarter.

However, a Deshaun Watson touchdown run in the late third quarter and a D’Onta Foreman touchdown in the fourth quarter gave the Texans a lead, and victory by a final score of 27-23, Texans over Patriots. With that we give you our PFF exclusive takeaways from the contest for each team.

Top 5 Grades:

CB Denzel Rice, 82.1 overall grade

DI Matthew Godin, 81.4 overall grade

LB Brian Peters, 81.3 overall grade

Performances of Note:
WR Bruce Ellington, 76.8 overall grade
Making the start despite being signed by the team just last week, Ellington had a nice debut in a Texans uniform. Texans quarterbacks had a 118.8 passer rating when targeting Ellington Saturday night, as he hauled in four of five targets for 93 yards; Ellington caught both of his targets for a total of 48 yards — including a superb catch along the sidelines — when he was being covered by Malcolm Butler.

QB Tom Savage, 72.0 overall grade
Savage once again moved the ball effectively with the first-team offense as he connected on eight of his nine pass attempts. Savage was a perfect 3-for-3 when blitzed on Saturday night for a total of 20 yards and a touchdown.

The game-ball selection for the game went to Kamalu after scoring a sack, three additional QB pressures, and a mighty healthy 12.5 pass-rushing productivity over 26 pass-rushing snaps. Kamalu would also collect three tackles (zero missed) in run defense that enabled him to cruise to the second-highest run-stop percentage (20.0) of preseason Week 3 at his position.

Washington didn’t quite match the overall grading of Kamalu, but made a valiant effort nonetheless. Washington did his damage on pass-rush snaps from the left edge, resulting in a sack, a QB hit and an additional pressure. For his efforts, Washington scored a 9.6 pass-rushing productivity that ranked him with the 20th-best such output from preseason Week 3 among 3-4 outside linebackers.

Top 5 Grades:
Edge Adam Butler, 83.4 overall grade

DI Alan Branch, 82.8 overall grade

Edge Kony Ealy, 81.7 overall grade

LB Trevor Bates, 81.6 overall grade

DI Lawrence Guy, 81.3 overall grade

Performances of Note:
QB Tom Brady, 49.8 overall grade
The Patriots’ offense controlled the clock throughout the game, but ultimately came up short on several promising drives. No need to hit the panic button in response to Brady’s performance, as the offense was clearly not at full strength, and the situation should be chalked up as a shaking-off-the-rust narrative. In fact, Brady was quite crisp with the majority of his throws, but the minimal snaps (16) couldn’t erase the damage from a pair of errant throws. On the plus side, Brady came under pressure twice while on the field, and found RB Rex Burkhead on an underneath route for a 22-yard catch-and-run into the end zone.

THE REST OF THE STORY
Brady and his inaccurate passes.

Watching the game again. Rough spots for sure, but I these guys on defense look Honegree.

And I still don't know what you mean...

If you're telling me not to reply to your comments then you are a fkn hypocrite like no other

Oh how quick people like to use the hypocrite label. I can bet you are no saint. He without sin please cast the first stone. And no I was not telling you to not reply to my comments.

Oh how quick people like to use the hypocrite label. I can bet you are no saint. He without sin please cast the first stone. And no I was not telling you to not reply to my comments.

Then what are you saying? Since you ignored the if part of my comment and all

I'm a little slow after a 12 hour shift and not drumk enough yet to understand much... not that I will after... or care either

Then what are you saying? Since you ignored the if part of my comment and all

I'm a little slow after a 12 hour shift and not drumk enough yet to understand much... not that I will after... or care either

I'm on a 12 hr shift as we speak, so I understand.

It means, " it's not your fight to fight".

so you equate commenting on a mb as a fight?

lol

you are still missing out on what I am telling you. It surely seems like every time I get into a heated back and forth exchange. You quickly jump to their side. I am telling you, they don't need your help.

so you equate commenting on a mb as a fight?

lol

you are still missing out on what I am telling you. It surely seems like every time I get into a heated back and forth exchange. You quickly jump to their side. I am telling you, they don't need your help.

Sorry you perceive it that way... I ain't jumping on anyone's side. I'm commenting on a post that I feel is comment worthy. You make a comment I don't agree with I'll say my piece. You make one I do, I usually just smile and go on. Sometimes I'll like a post I don't agree with but understand the point.

It's a message board, not something that is earth changing

Offense is still the high school inside dive mixed in with the standard route tree.
I haven't watched but the 1st Q of the game and all I can remember thinking was, why in the hell is Miller being run between the tackles?? Maddening really. This guy needs to be on the edges, quick toss, pitches, etc.

Rico, find your comments on Cunningham interesting. Others seem to say he's lost and lacking.

#41 right? All I remember about him is him getting smoked by the RB's on the 2 TD passes. (I saw the 2nd one on a highlight reel. Not real sure if it was #41 or not.) But I know it was him on the 1st one, left in the dust.

patrick‏Verified account@PatDStat 1h1 hour ago

Godin and Ankou just eating up blockers last night. One play the two were occupying four lineman. That is good stuff there.

Thompson does the dirty work. Good special teams tackle and helped spring Foreman on his long catch and run with a block downfield.

Good to see Chris Thompson get going. Had a solid camp and now getting a chance with the injures and making the most of it.

Kurtis Drummond and Marcus Gilchrist were in position to make plays. Both missed tackles in important spots last night. Have to tackle.

Only two safeties right now that they can feel good about. Andre Hal and Eddie Pleasant. Corey Moore is next. The group is so up in the air.

When Cole is under control he really does a good job. Playing out of control too much but has a chance.

Dylan Cole is like a starved dog unleashed in a meat market. Looks like everything is moving so fast for him.

Mentioned it before Matt Godin reminds me of Joel Heath. Both fits for the position just have to iron out their technique.

Matt Godin and Eli Ankou are solid vs. the run. Like what they have been doing over the course of camp into the preseason.

29 observations from Texans vs. Patriots
Posted 7 hours ago
John Harris Texans Analyst

There’s no place like home.

I don’t know who said it, but whoever did was a smart individual. The Texans traveling party arrived back in Houston on Friday afternoon and it was none too soon. They gave back to their fans by beating New England 27-23. More importantly, the Texans took significant strides in areas where they struggled a bit last week against the Panthers. It’s the preseason, so there’s no champagne or even major plaudits thrown Houston’s way because of the win, yet it’s good to win, no matter what.

Here are my observations on the night.

1. Let me start with a few non-game thoughts. When we got in on Friday, I didn’t go into the bowl, choosing to wait until Saturday to see it for the first time. When I walked out of the tunnel onto the field, I was floored. The field was beautiful. The numbers were in the Texans Font. The video board was in the Texans Font. They were all subtle changes to the naked eye, but noticeable yet pleasing to these OCD eyes.

2. Oh, and let me not forget my pals in our video production and graphics department. They put together the opening promo of the players before they came out of the tunnel. It was bad a…, well, you know. It’s amazing to think I work with such talented individuals in my department. All I do is talk; they construct incredible art on a daily basis.

3. Okay, to the game, itself. Think about this, the Texans had nine receivers active last night. Of those, only three of them had ever caught a pass in an NFL regular season game (Bruce Ellington, Jaelen Strong and Wendall Williams), so they were certainly under the spotlight. Yet, that group did a solid job throughout the night.

4. Jaelen Strong caught a touchdown pass against a team not named the Colts. In all seriousness, though, Strong excelled in workouts against New England in West Virginia and then had the first touchdown catch of the season. He beat star corner Malcolm Butler to the middle of the field and caught a laser from quarterback Tom Savage.

5. At least the Texans fans had seen Strong in a game before. Bruce Ellington had never been to Houston before and he continued to make a seemingly amazing climb up the depth charts. During practice in West Virginia, it was clear that Ellington was going to get opportunity with the number of receivers on the shelf. He’s been living with the playbook and doing extra sessions with receivers coach John Perry and assistant Wes Welker. That’s paying off in a big way. On his first catch from Tom Savage, he showed some wiggle to avoid one tackle and speed for a first down. He caught a deep route down the field and got both feet in bounds later in the quarter. He then hauled in a short catch and ran for a long gain. It’s hard to imagine Ellington not getting more and more comfortable in this offense, not that he’s finally home, in Houston.
6. I thought it was telling that the Patriots defensive front stayed on the field all the way through the first three quarters. In fact, the Patriots starting defense was without only two starters, presumably - Trey Flowers and Dont’a Hightower. Now, those two are massively important to that defense, yet the Texans had as many as four starters not on the field on offense as well.

7. I don’t know what it is about quarterbacks taking a hit and getting comfortable at that point, but that’s what seemingly happened to Tom Savage. He took a hit from linebacker Kyle Van Noy and the Patriots defender drove him into the turf, which drew a 15-yard penalty from Walt Anderson. The next play? Savage stood comfortably in the pocket and dropped dime to Ellington down the sideline over Malcolm Butler. From that point forward, Savage seemed locked in from the pocket, even outside of it.

8. Savage’s throw to Ellington was a beauty. The touchdown throw to Jaelen Strong was a laser. The throw to
Stephen Anderson that he made on the run, though, was his best throw of the night. On third and four, he got some pressure, stepped up in the pocket, moved to his right, saw Anderson and made a perfect, pinpoint throw for a first down.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Uh..John, I like you brother but Wendell missed both passes. Did he stay out of way of other WRs?; hopefull
Ellington reminded me of Hopkins on some catches..now if he can maintain...

Kamalu at OLB? 295 lbs? He isn't as fast as Clowney but if he got that production at OLB..I'm down with it.

#24 yeah that fake to Foreman was beautiful; hopefully that will be used at least once a quarter. I thought Kony was slobbering over a sack and then Watson turned...TD!

wish we could trade Miller for a good safety!
put that thought in your pocket because you might be able to bring it out a bit later. I'd be looking for a RT over safety. TBH I think (hope) he will be used a bit better and be productive. If his total yardage drops, he needs to up his avg from 4.0. before trading I want to see Alfred Blue running in regular season as if he wants a new contract.

Ellington is working Butler; impressive.
First sack is 100% on Savage. Held on too long.
Savage looks really comfortable in doing what he does.
OL hasn't looked like a total train wreck.
4th and 6 and we run that GD draw again?

Observations seeing this year's squad in the flesh on Saturday.

Ellington looks like he wants to make the 53 - played like a man possessed, found holes, shook off tackles. Looked like a football Biggio.

Lamar Miller - looks like he's having weight and/or vision issues. Made several bad decisions on easy plays. (Yes, I know he's gimpy)

Savage looked far sharper than vs. the Panthers. - He had nowhere to go but up vs. the 1's. His progressions still need work, FASTER work. His pass on the move to Anderson is one of the best he's ever thrown.

Watson is the most nimble guy we've ever had under center -He also can't hit the broadside of a barn right now past 10-15 yards. (For the record, talked w/ Fiedo's mom pregame and he thinks Watson is the "real deal")

Zach Cunningham looked like a guy who forgot how to play linebacker repeatedly. He literally ran himself into blocks on more than one occasion. 2-to-1 ratio of poor plays to good ones.

The Oline looked much better. Granted the Pats were as unsophisticated as they get on D, but we still had decent protection.

The 1's on Defense came to play. They definitely didn't want TB12 to forget the hits he took last year.

Secondary had ups/downs. We had picks or near picks on lofted balls, but had more passes dropped or missed throws that saved the Defense repeatedly.

D'Onta Foreman has EARNED a chance to run with the 1's
. He looked gassed late though, so he's not ready to be a 3-down back yet. Used rotationally, he could be a beast.

Special Teams still doesn't know what a lanes are on coverage. Had 2-3 guys clumped together repeatedly, and watched it cost us.

Last edited:
I think Savage is playing his cards right at the moment. I'm not completely sold on the idea that he cannot get through his progressions fast enough versus the idea, that with so many new receivers running routes, they may not be correct routes and he's trusting his arm to get the ball to them at the last available moment. Hopefully, the team can get Hopkins, Strong, Williams and Ellington on the field in Week 3...just to better gauge Savage's ability to get the ball out of his quicker while remaining accurate. Again, wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit to see Foreman elevated to the 1's just to see how he handles running against a starting NFL defense.

I think Savage is playing his cards right at the moment. I'm not completely sold on the idea that he cannot get through his progressions fast enough versus the idea, that with so many new receivers running routes, they may not be correct routes and he's trusting his arm to get the ball to them at the last available moment. Hopefully, the team can get Hopkins, Strong, Williams and Ellington on the field in Week 3...just to better gauge Savage's ability to get the ball out of his quicker while remaining accurate. Again, wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit to see Foreman elevated to the 1's just to see how he handles running against a starting NFL defense.

Interesting take, OT.

The Pats continue to abuse our LB corps in the passing game.

Cinningham has a lot to learn. lol, damn

The Pats continue to abuse our LB corps in the passing game.

Cinningham has a lot to learn. lol, damn

Hopefully Vrable gave the rookie an earful. Play inside technique, absolutely, positively do not let a receiver free to cross the middle. Force him outside.

Still probably going to get beat, but he has more help on his outside shoulder plus the sideline.

Hopefully Vrable gave the rookie an earful. Play inside technique, absolutely, positively do not let a receiver free to cross the middle. Force him outside.

Still probably going to get beat, but he has more help on his outside shoulder plus the sideline.

Ted Johnson said the same thing on his Ted Talk today. Cannot under any circumstances give the inside leverage.

Back