Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Official 2012 Training Camp Thread

To anyone attending practice, pay attention to the appearance of Schaub's legs and see if you perceive any differences in their development/thickness.

I was going to make a joke about watching the cheerleader's legs...

I attended one last week. He signed autographs before and after practice so we were close. I was looking more to see if he favored either foot walking or standing. There was nothing noticeable in his gait, stride or stance.

That's good, not sure the guy was trolling or just an idiot. He wanted to trade him for a WR and have UDFA Johnathan Grimes our backup.

Wait. What?

First off, we've got Forsett as our #3 now. He's looked really rocking in practice. From the reports, the Foster-Tate-Forsett triumvirate has been looking very good in practice.

I guess that might make Tate expendable but there's no way I'd go there.

At the WR spot, Martin has been killing it in TC by all accounts and Jean and Posey have been looking pretty good, too. Granted, they're rookies and the real bullets haven't started flying, yet, so they might all be fools gold.

But personally, I feel better having Tate and Forsett behind Foster than I'd feel trading Tate for a WR, at this point.

I really haven't been paying attention to TC this year, so if anyone doesn't mind, will give me the rundown of the TC so far?

And someone told me Tate's looking terrible this offseason, is that true?

What Cak said about TC's blog.

Kubiak has said that Tate and Foster have been competing hard and pushing each other, and they probably don't even realize how much better it is making them, and what it'll do for their careers. He also said that this is the best RB squad he's ever worked with.

So I'm guessing that Tate looks just fine.

I'd link the quotes, but I'm posting from my phone.

I really haven't been paying attention to TC this year, so if anyone doesn't mind, will give me the rundown of the TC so far?

Whoever that "someone" is, don't ever believe anything else they tell you again.
Ever.

Our RB position is the most solid squad, top to bottom, on the team. Tate & Foster picked up right where they left off last season. And Forsett looks like a steal and Grimes, and any previous year, would be a candidate for #3 RB. He may have a shot on S/Ts.

And if Posey and K.Martin continue to develop and show more and more of the flashes they've been showing in camp and LeStar Jean continues to improve from last camp, Bryant Johnson may get cut.

And I've been to three of the open practices so this is what my eyes are telling me.

Will Schaub play in the opening preseason game this Saturday???

Has he had any real traffic thrown at him in TC yet? I just have to wonder if he's really ready or just "10-yard safety zone around him" ready.

To anyone attending practice, pay attention to the appearance of Schaub's legs and see if you perceive any differences in their development/thickness.

They look the same. Schaub looks like Schaub. Watch him careful near the end of practices when he is tired to see if he limps any, nothing.

Sharpton's legs are not even. I will be surprised if he starts the season.

Tate looks like he is in crushing fools mode. His healthiest camp so far. (KNOCK ON WOOD).

Latest training camp report here: My 2012 Texans training camp things to watch, and the Charles Spencer project

Scroll back through the reports. This is my last one for a while because I am doing family stuff. Yes, I have a life outside of football stuff.

They look the same. Schaub looks like Schaub. Watch him careful near the end of practices when he is tired to see if he limps any, nothing.

Sharpton's legs are not even. I will be surprised if he starts the season.

That gives additional credence to a compensatory hip flexor injury I proposed earlier.

Tate looks like he is in crushing fools mode. His healthiest camp so far. (KNOCK ON WOOD).

Latest training camp report here: My 2012 Texans training camp things to watch, and the Charles Spencer project

Scroll back through the reports. This is my last one for a while because I am doing family stuff. Yes, I have a life outside of football stuff.

I really didn't notice much run defense struggles.Ray Rice and MJD had two good games against us. Maybe the Oanthers but that's not the conventional run defense. I think that speaks more to our backs and hopefully OLINE than our run defense.

Judging by what you may have read or seen in video form, what's your opinion on Schaub's progression through his rehabilition of his foot injury?

For not really having to be concerned now with being hit, i.e., need for sudden awkward movement, and planting and weight shift and movement against resistance, he appears to be progressing well. He seems to plant with a full flat foot to the ground avoiding any rocking off the front of his plant foot. He will probably be limited significantly in reps during preseason. So his real test will come during the regular season where his foot will be repeatedly stressed and tested. How he holds up to these repeated forces week in and week out will be the final test and is yet to be seen. I remain very guarded about his ability to stay on the field, especially if it is necessary for him to adjust his mechanics to protect his foot. Again, as a Texans fan, I will keep my hopes as high as I keep up my guard.

For not really having to be concerned now with being hit, i.e., need for sudden awkward movement, and planting and weight shift and movement against resistance, he appears to be progressing well. He seems to plant with a full flat foot to the ground avoiding any rocking off the front of his plant foot. He will probably be limited significantly in reps during preseason. So his real test will come during the regular season where his foot will be repeatedly stressed and tested. How he holds up to these repeated forces week in and week out will be the final test and is yet to be seen. I remain very guarded about his ability to stay on the field, especially if it is necessary for him to adjust his mechanics to protect his foot. Again, as a Texans fan, I will keep my hopes as high as I keep up my guard.

It says I must spread rep to others before giving it to CnD again. :(

Can someone get him for me?

That last sentence was perfectly worded. 100%.

Got him. He deserved it anyway, as I feel the same way. Just because I love the Texans with every ounce of my football being, it doesn't mean I can't be realistic about them.

I got him for you too. His information has been great on all of the questions he has responded to.

Yes, I have a life outside of football stuff.

images

On the radio this morning, Nick Wright said "There is a player on the jugs machine and he has dropped 3 of 9 nine balls so far.

One armed JJ Watt."

Wow!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2

Cushing spent the night in Hospital due to illness. They sent him to Hospital to speed up recovery time.

Nick Scurfield‏@NickScurfield

LB Brian Cushing (illness) missed practice after spending the night in a hospital. Could be back w/ team this afternoon

Gary Kubiak said he's "not worried" about Cushing- team sent him to hospital to help him recover quickly #Texans

Keyaron Fox suffered a knee injury during practice this morning. Kubiak doesn't know the extent of the injury yet. Fingers crossed it isn't as bad as it could be.

With Sharpton on PUP that thins out the ILB position even more.

This will give Shawn Loiseau a golden opportunity to show his talents. Better take advantage of it kid.

Keyaron Fox suffered a knee injury during practice this morning. Kubiak doesn't know the extent of the injury yet. Fingers crossed it isn't as bad as it could be.

With Sharpton on PUP that thins out the ILB position even more.

This will give Shawn Loiseau a golden opportunity to show his talents. Better take advantage of it kid.

He was going against 3's, but Louiseau was playing his ass off on the day I was there, shedding blockers and meeting the ball carrier at the LOS or behind it. Then he got blown up by the right guard and slipped on one play so I bit my tongue. I really liked his football IQ though, seems very fluid and natural instinct to get to the ball.

LINK TO FULL STORY HERE.

Today was the last practice before the Texans’ first preseason game, and the Texans prepared by running plays from the Carolina offense.

1. Along with the other players who have been injured throughout the week, Shaun Cody, Owen Daniels, and Randy Bullock did not practice.

2. Brian Cushing did not report to practice today after spending time in the hospital with an illness. Cushing has been released, and he is expected to play in the preseason opener against Carolina.

and...

4. Dropped passes were a big problem at camp today. Rookie Tight End Logan Brock had the most difficulty, and Gary Kubiak got particularly frustrated with wide receiver Juaquin Iglesias after he missed an easy catch during seven-on-sevens.

5. The defense got off to a shaky start with several blown coverages, but tightened up towards the end of practice.

I left out numbers 3 and 6 from the list of observations, so you need to click the link to see those two notes on how the RBs looked and the situation at LB.

LINK TO FULL STORY HERE.

and...

I left out numbers 3 and 6 from the list of observations, so you need to click the link to see those two notes on how the RBs looked and the situation at LB.

#3 mentions Jonathan Grimes. Everything I'm hearing about him says he's doing good so far. So is Forsett. Is there a possibility with Houston keeping four RB's this year?

#3 mentions Jonathan Grimes. Everything I'm hearing about him says he's doing good so far. So is Forsett. Is there a possibility with Houston keeping four RB's this year?

My immediate gut instinct says Grimes to the PS.

I don't see Kubiak doing away with precedent, and the precedent has been that the Texans carry 3 RBs. Well, that might not be true. I seem to remember back in the Ahman Green or Ron Dayne era here that we ended up having only two RBs on a game day roster for some reason, and they both got dinged up and one of them is out there hobbling around because there was nobody else left to pull RB duty.

Maybe I'm wrong though. I know that one time last year, Foster was banged up and Ward got banged up (a blow to the head or something), and I think Ben Tate or Chris O. ended up being the only RB we had for the rest of a game. IIRC.

But I don't see us carrying more than 3 RBs, and IIRC the only guy out of the four RBs who is PS eligible is Grimes. And frankly, teams tend to not poach other teams' 53-man cutdown guys...so a guy like Grimes (who is raw in terms of NFL experience, just like other teams' version of Grimes right now) will likely pass waivers and hit our PS squad where he can be called up if any of our starting three RBs get banged up on a Sunday in the reg season.

I think Case Keenum, if he has a decent preseason and looks like Chase Daniel did for the Saints a few years back, will be poached off waivers if we try to get Case to the PS. But Grimes? I think he is a PS guy all the way, IMO.

I think Case Keenum, if he has a decent preseason and looks like Chase Daniel did for the Saints a few years back, will be poached off waivers if we try to get Case to the PS. But Grimes? I think he is a PS guy all the way, IMO.

Daniel wasn't actually poached off waivers. Nobody claimed him when the Redskins let him go in their final cut. He went to the Saints PS after going unclaimed (Although I believe he did choose them over the same offer from the Redskins).

He spent the first three weeks of the '09 season on the Saints practice squad, got promoted to the 53 man roster for about two weeks, and then bounced back and forth between the PS and the 53 man roster a couple of times before landing on the 53 man roster for good prior to the Saints last regular season game in 2009 (technically, Jan. 2010). He actually ended up getting waived three times during the '09 season (Once by Washington and twice by New Orleans), and cleared waivers all three times.

I may end up being wrong, but unless Case looks incredible, I just have a difficult time seeing his stock rise that much between the draft and the end of preseason.

Daniel wasn't actually poached off waivers. Nobody claimed him when the Redskins let him go in their final cut. He went to the Saints PS after going unclaimed (Although I believe he did choose them over the same offer from the Redskins).

He spent the first three weeks of the '09 season on the Saints practice squad, got promoted to the 53 man roster for about two weeks, and then bounced back and forth between the PS and the 53 man roster a couple of times before landing on the 53 man roster for good prior to the Saints last regular season game in 2009 (technically, Jan. 2010). He actually ended up getting waived three times during the '09 season (Once by Washington and twice by New Orleans), and cleared waives all three times.

I may end up being wrong, but unless Case looks incredible, I just have a difficult time seeing his stock rise that much between the draft and the end of preseason.

Wow! Here I had thought that he was drafted by Saints, and that they kept him on active 53 rather than send him to PS!!!

My bad. Good catch!

My immediate gut instinct says Grimes to the PS.

I don't see Kubiak doing away with precedent, and the precedent has been that the Texans carry 3 RBs. Well, that might not be true. I seem to remember back in the Ahman Green or Ron Dayne era here that we ended up having only two RBs on a game day roster for some reason, and they both got dinged up and one of them is out there hobbling around because there was nobody else left to pull RB duty.

Maybe I'm wrong though. I know that one time last year, Foster was banged up and Ward got banged up (a blow to the head or something), and I think Ben Tate or Chris O. ended up being the only RB we had for the rest of a game. IIRC.

But I don't see us carrying more than 3 RBs, and IIRC the only guy out of the four RBs who is PS eligible is Grimes. And frankly, teams tend to not poach other teams' 53-man cutdown guys...so a guy like Grimes (who is raw in terms of NFL experience, just like other teams' version of Grimes right now) will likely pass waivers and hit our PS squad where he can be called up if any of our starting three RBs get banged up on a Sunday in the reg season.

Fair enough. I just like the benefit of keeping Grimes over a #6 WR (namely Bryant Johnson), and I think it could end-up being costly risking Grimes to the PS down the line.

I think the only way we lose Grimes is if he explodes in one of the pre-season games and makes the league take notice. Every team has young players who look good in camp but don't warrant a spot from the vets and go to the PS and most teams just look to their own PS.

Look for Grimes to get a ride to Texans IR Resort this pre-season with a questionable injury. It seems every year a talented rookie (or one we have high hopes for) lands on IR with a goofy injury or phantom injury just so teams cannot claim them off the PS

If this was posted and i missed it , my apologizes

http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513&page=2
I read that JJo and Manning are working with the receivers on tips on recognizing coverage and how to get open
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield

Veteran leadership: FS Danieal Manning working extra after practice w/ rookie WR DeVier Posey pic.twitter.com/1zUbwh6P
AzOPM8fCAAAQuiW.jpg

my eyes are going I thought the pic was of this week and not from around the first of the month

Look for Grimes to get a ride to Texans IR Resort this pre-season with a questionable injury. It seems every year a talented rookie (or one we have high hopes for) lands on IR with a goofy injury or phantom injury just so teams cannot claim them off the PS

Yep! You are right on IR resort. You don't want to risk losing talented rookie on wavers list.

Go Texans!!!

Those dates are incorrect.

First cut-down day is August 27. Teams must be down to 75 players by 3pm CT. Last cut-down day is August 31. Teams must be down to 53 players by 8pm CT.

Sounds pretty much the same, but thanks for the correction. They dont give you a lot of time between the 75 cut and the 53 do they?

Sounds pretty much the same, but thanks for the correction. They dont give you a lot of time between the 75 cut and the 53 do they?

Back in the old days (iirc), there were multiple cutdown dates through the pre-season so it made sense. But I think during the negotiations with the players union, the number of cut-downs got reduced and the first cut-down got pushed further and further back until now, it's almost stupid to have 2 cut-down dates.

Back