Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Official 2010 Training Camp Thread

The first day of TC, when KJ hadn't signed, Molden played with the ones. Not Reeves.

That would lead me to suspect that Molden his higher on the depth chart that Reeves right now.
Barring injury, it looks to me as if Reeves and Bennett are out. Seems as if Gibbs just wants guys who only know his techniques. Which makes sense, because it's easier to learn something new than unlearn something. Molden was only under Hoke for a year, and he was injured for a big chunk of that. Not a lot to unlearn for him.

Quin
Jackson
McCain
Molden
McManis

That's how I see the CB position shaking out after camp and the preseason.

when i went to0 camp it was only the 2nd day, but on THAT day Molden looked like our best cover cb. i dont know how things are lookin right now, i just go by what i hear.

Molden is very talented . At the combine he lifted 225 lbs 23 times , while running a 4.39 . He was an absolute beast on special teams before he got hurt . I used to think he made every tackle or so it seemed .

Trivia ... along with Ted Ginn jr , Molden's team held or holds the national 4x100 record for high scholol . Molden's fiance died at 21 of cancer . I adopted him last year as my player but will not adopt a player this year in case I'm a jinx .

a picture of the o line

005.jpg

qb's warming up wr's
010.jpg

my jersey now!

017.jpg

Tate came back in and immediately fumbled the ball. It was funny seeing him and okam fight over it. Kubiak called Tate over for a talk after it. I'm sure fumbles cause him to lose sleep at night.

While I was typing Tate hit a 20 yarder. Good burst through the hole.

Barring injury, it looks to me as if Reeves and Bennett are out. Seems as if Gibbs just wants guys who only know his techniques. Which makes sense, because it's easier to learn something new than unlearn something. Molden was only under Hoke for a year, and he was injured for a big chunk of that. Not a lot to unlearn for him.

Quin
Jackson
McCain
Molden
McManis

That's how I see the CB position shaking out after camp and the preseason.

Would we save any money by cutting Reeves?

I think McManis is going to have to show something in these games coming up to beat out Reeves for the last spot...I do agree that Bennett is as good as gone though.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/nfl/texans/

McCain, 23, admits at times he was lost on the field as a rookie. But this year in camp, McCain appears confident in each of his steps when covering receivers.

“Everything moves a lot slower for me this year, and I’m having a good time,” McCain said. “I think my game improved a lot in the offseason, and I’m hoping that shows on the field.”

The improvements he made in the offseason involved adding strength to complement his quickness.

Several times last season, McCain had his receiver covered but failed to make the tackle after the catch. He spent much of the offseason lifting weights and didn’t miss a day of the Texans’ offseason program.

That's good stuff.

I ende up leaving a little early this time. They took the pads off around 9:30, so I really didn't want to stick around.

They were pumping in some crowd noise this practice, which was pretty cool to see. But overall it was a Monday on the job for the players, so understandably there wasn't a lot of intensity.

The 1's ran the ball alot, which is a good thing. I wasn't at all sold on Foster before, but today he really impressed me. He's just perfect for our system.

When I say there wasn't alot of intensity, you can always omit Pollard. That dude wakes up ready. He was out there pushing everyone to get better.

Man I wish you could put Pollards persona into Okam. Nobody could push that big boy off the line.

Kubes praise of Earl Mitchell is well deserved. That kid is lightening quick. Reminded me of John Randle. He was EXCELLENT in one on one drills.

Kubes praise of Earl Mitchell is well deserved. That kid is lightening quick. Reminded me of John Randle. He was EXCELLENT in one on one drills.

That's where I noticed his burst off the ball. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it when they run team drills. Makes me think he's thinking too much rather than just firing off and getting to the ball. He's redirected too easily in the run game. I think he'll come around, but like someone else mentioned, he might only be a situational DT to start.

That's where I noticed his burst off the ball. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it when they run team drills. Makes me think he's thinking too much rather than just firing off and getting to the ball. He's redirected too easily in the run game. I think he'll come around, but like someone else mentioned, he might only be a situational DT to start.

In one on one drills his hand speed (getting the blockers hands off him) was like a blur.

There were a lot of "oooooh, aaahhhhs' from anyone that was watching him. Of course u dont get that reaction in group, b/c most people are watching the backs and recievers.

Sweet.

(on the progression of the offensive line) "I was disappointed in it today. We came out sloppy. We're obviously playing a lot of people inside. I think our guard position is wide open. I don't think anybody has taken the job from the two that are starting nor have they solidified their situation. I think our two guard spots are wide open. I think it'll work itself out over the next few weeks."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6265

re-tweeted by adam schefter

Adam_Schefter Sleeper alert RT @evansilva: Kubiak on Texans rookie Dorin Dickerson: "He's got the talent to be a (No.) one or two (WR) in this league."

does he look that good?

does he look that good?

Kubiak

(on WR Dorin Dickerson) "First of all, he's got his weight down a little bit. Obviously he's sitting there thinking he's a tight end coming out. Then we ask him to be a 222-pound wide receiver. So, I think he's got that under control. His conditioning levels are better. When you could run 4.3 something and be that size in this league and learn what you're doing, you could get dangerous real quick. He's got the body and the tools to be a one or two in this league. He's got a long way to go. He's flashed very early in this camp. He has slowed down a little bit. So hopefully he could come back here and do some good things against Arizona."

He's got all the tools

does he look that good?

dude left off the end of that quote... the enite quote on Dickerson was:

(on WR Dorin Dickerson) "First of all, he's got his weight down a little bit. Obviously he's sitting there thinking he's a tight end coming out. Then we ask him to be a 222-pound wide receiver. So, I think he's got that under control. His conditioning levels are better. When you could run 4.3 something and be that size in this league and learn what you're doing, you could get dangerous real quick. He's got the body and the tools to be a one or two in this league. He's got a long way to go. He's flashed very early in this camp. He has slowed down a little bit. So hopefully he could come back here and do some good things against Arizona."

edit: mariowillshine15 beat me to it.

this is where he got the quote
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5839

but he left this out
Texans coach Gary Kubiak says he believes seventh-round pick Dorin Dickerson "has got the body and the tools to be a (number) one or two (receiver) in this league."

"(But) he's got a long way to go," Kubiak conceded. The Texans are high on Dickeron's natural gifts, but he's going to have to excel as a special teams gunner to make the final roster. He'll be no better than a No. 5 receiver.

so there you have it!:texflag:

Hate to be a downer on Dickerson but till he proves otherwise I'm putting him in the Matt Jones (Jacksonville) category of natural athletic skills but has proven nothing box.

Matt Jones was supposed to be a game changer too.

Hate to be a downer on Dickerson but till he proves otherwise I'm putting him in the Matt Jones (Jacksonville) category of natural athletic skills but has proven nothing box.

Matt Jones was supposed to be a game changer too.

The difference is, the Jaguars took a chance on a very talented player for a position he'd never played before by picking him in the first round and we took a chance on a very talented player for a position he'd kinda dabbled around with by picking him in the seventh round.

The Jags had to try to force Matt Jones into their starting lineup as quickly as they could. We can take a little time with this guy... although if he flashes a lot during the pre-season, we're not going to be able to PS him

The difference is, the Jaguars took a chance on a very talented player for a position he'd never played before by picking him in the first round and we took a chance on a very talented player for a position he'd kinda dabbled around with by picking him in the seventh round.

The Jags had to try to force Matt Jones into their starting lineup as quickly as they could. We can take a little time with this guy... although if he flashes a lot during the pre-season, we're not going to be able to PS him

Also, If I'm not mistaken Matt Jones had a few off the field incidents and maybe a drug problem.

Dude probably could have been better if he worked harder.

I'm not sure he's safe on the PS as it is. There were too many comments about what a "steal" he was in the 7th. My 2c says if he is placed on the PS, he'll be plucked quickly.

Also, If I'm not mistaken Matt Jones had a few off the field incidents and maybe a drug problem.

Dude probably could have been better if he worked harder.

Did he have those off the field incidents prior to being drafted? I know he had a ton once he got to Jacksonville but I don't recall that being a "known" behavior.

I'm not sure he's safe on the PS as it is. There were too many comments about what a "steal" he was in the 7th. My 2c says if he is placed on the PS, he'll be plucked quickly.

There were some mocks that had him as high as the second round. The fact that he dropped to the 7th was pretty surprising.

I had him on my board as an undersized TE and I hadn't even considered him as a WR. And frankly, I didn't have us in the market for a WR or a TE -- so he was totally not on my radar. :)

I didn't know that Andre had done some MMA training in the past...

(on doing handwork activities) "I did the MMA training like two seasons ago. I haven't really gotten back into it since then. Sometimes in the off-season, I'll do things like that where you do a lot of hand stuff. It all helps out when you do. At first you think, ‘Why am I doing this?' But, once you get out here on the field and guys shoot their hands and stuff at you and you're able to grab them and knock them down, then you'll realize that it all paid off for you."

At first you think, ‘Why am I doing this?' But, once you get out here on the field and guys shoot their hands and stuff at you and you're able to grab them and knock them down, .........

:texanbill: Nice!!

Has ANYONE ever been plucked off the Texans' practice squad? Or have the Texans ever plucked anyone from another team's practice squad? I can't think of any. Overall, roster spots are way too valuable to spend on some rookie that hasn't practiced at all with your team.

Has ANYONE ever been plucked off the Texans' practice squad? Or have the Texans ever plucked anyone from another team's practice squad? I can't think of any. Overall, roster spots are way too valuable to spend on some rookie that hasn't practiced at all with your team.

Yes. We've had a couple of guys plucked off our PS. And we've plucked a couple of guys off of other people's PS as well.

Yeah, Kenneth something, drafted out of..Hampton?...plays for the Jaguars.

Mario was on the field today. Kubiak said he'll play 10 snaps against the Cards.

PS: After watching that 2009 Texans review form NFL films on HT.com I'm freaking pumped.

Dorin has been running quite a bit with the second team offense...

I know that is not a huge feat for a WR, but it does say something. He's been coming in right behind AJ...

Right now, I'd say Andre Davis is in more danger of getting cut than Dickerson is of being put on the practice squad...

Dorin has been running quite a bit with the second team offense...

I know that is not a huge feat for a WR, but it does say something. He's been coming in right behind AJ...

Right now, I'd say Andre Davis is in more danger of getting cut than Dickerson is of being put on the practice squad...

Bingo. Dickerson has been impressing everyone, and has tremendous upside to boot. Andre Davis is older, on the downside of his career, and relatively expensive.

It sounds like Pollard's quiet counterpart is doing well. Let's hope he remains healthy.

Veteran Eugen Wilson, the starter at free safety, had a great practice. On consecutive plays, Wilson intercepted quarterback Matt Schaub on a pass intended for David Anderson and then deflected a pass intended for receiver Jacoby Jones. Wilson hasn't missed a step this camp, cementing his starting spot. - Jordan Godwin

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsupdate/archives/2010/08/camp_quick_hits_4.html

Kubiak said they plan on keeping 5 or 6 CBs. There are currently 8 on the roster, "starters Glover Quin and Kareem Jackson and backups Brice McCain, Jacques Reeves, Antwaun Molden, Sherrick McManis, Fred Bennett and Mark Parson." per HT.com

Who do you all see making it?

Quinn
Jackson
McCain
Reeves
Molden
McManis

Parson to the PS. Molden gets the nod because he is a beast at special teams.

Kubiak said they plan on keeping 5 or 6 CBs. There are currently 8 on the roster, "starters Glover Quin and Kareem Jackson and backups Brice McCain, Jacques Reeves, Antwaun Molden, Sherrick McManis, Fred Bennett and Mark Parson." per HT.com

Who do you all see making it?

Quinn
Jackson
McCain
Reeves
Molden
McManis

Parson to the PS. Molden gets the nod because he is a beast at special teams.

Fred=goner, Parson same or PS is my call. Bennett I think has gotta see the numbers game not in his favor.

I think Luck mentioned it the other day ( I think I disagreed with him...kinda), but I could see them making a tough call and letting Reeves walk so that they would only have to carry 5 CB's...With all the TE's we have + Trindon + it sounds like they want to keep Henry as a fourth RB, I don't think we can afford to carry 6 CB's...

Something interesting I read from Kubiak:

• Kubiak was asked which particular players he's looking forward to watching on Saturday. In order, he listed running back Chris Henry, rookie wide receivers Dorin Dickerson and Trindon Holliday and rookie defensive tackles Malcolm Sheppard and Earl Mitchell. "We've got to orchestrate the running back situation because there is no way you could play five, but (Henry) is definitely going to play in this game," Kubiak said. "I think obviously, we as an organization would like to see what this returner (Holliday) can do. He's really struggled offensively, but we know we brought him here to return punts and kicks. We expect him to get the majority of that in the game."

"I just like his strength and motor. He could go all day. He's a well-conditioned and very physical player. I expect him to show up on special teams recovering kicks and those types of things for Joe (Marciano). Our backup backs if Arian (Foster) is our starter and stays that way, then our (No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4) backs are going to have to play special teams."
- Kubiak, on RB Chris Henry

"He's got a long way to go there. That's not his fault. It's not like he's played there and played a lot and understands what's going on, but you have to do more things in this league… We've got to get him somewhat comfortable between now and this weekend so he could play some offensive football."
- Texans coach Gary Kubiak, on rookie KR/WR Trindon Holliday

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6271

We already pretty much knew this, but Trindon has got to show off as a returner to make this team.

I think he will though...It's what he do...

Has ANYONE ever been plucked off the Texans' practice squad? Or have the Texans ever plucked anyone from another team's practice squad? I can't think of any.
I think Curry Burns was picked off the Texans practice squad by the Giants. Brad Lekkerkerker I believe was scooped up by Da Raiders in 2005, as well. There must have been many practice squaders the Texans picked up in the early years. Shantee Orr? Kevin Garrett? Anthony Maddox? Some DT signed off the Cowboys practice squad? Someone help me.

So last year's surprise upgrade was strong safety. Could this year's be free safety?
Funny that you mention that, because Pollard's ex-teammate Jarrad Page has asked to be traded from the Chiefs. From Page's agent:

"Jarrad Page requested to be traded away from Kansas City after the third Pre-Season game last year (vs. Seattle Seahawks). We requested a trade again this year on 6/17/2010 for the second time. Beginning in the Pre-Season and continuing all year, Coach Todd Haley mishandled Jarrad last season causing him to end up on IR. (Jarrad never missed a game in his NFL career prior to last season). There has been interest for Jarrad and the Chiefs are blocking legitimate trades.
Page is a 5th year RFA. The cancellation of the CBA did Page wrong. The Chiefs just drafted Eric Berry with the 5th pick, so Page would have to make a position switch to SS to stay in the starting lineup. What do the Texans think of Page? More specifically, what does his former DB coach David Gibbs think of Page? What would the Chiefs accept as trade? And, would the Texans consider Page an upgrade over current FS Eugene Wilson. To me, this is more interesting than the Schobel watch. :popcorn:

This is kinda random, but does anybody else think our camp is lenient compared to around the league? I mean, from what I gather we've only had 2 full pad practices, a hand full of shells and the rest are helmets only. I was at the 2 full pad practices and left kinda disappointed at the lack of pads crackin (except my boy Leach). When the NFLN shows random camps around the league I always see full pads and all out tackling.

I'm likely reading too much in to this, but our past few season's haven't started out the best

This is kinda random, but does anybody else think our camp is lenient compared to around the league? I mean, from what I gather we've only had 2 full pad practices, a hand full of shells and the rest are helmets only. I was at the 2 full pad practices and left kinda disappointed at the lack of pads crackin (except my boy Leach). When the NFLN shows random camps around the league I always see full pads and all out tackling.

I'm likely reading too much in to this, but our past few season's haven't started out the best

I've wondered about that myself. I've watched the clips of the other camps. I know it doesn't count but in HS we were popping each other until the walk through the day before the game and then right back at it Monday. I've heard GK say he doesn't like to go "live" inner squad to keep the injuries down. I guess we'll see Saturday.

You think it's due to the heat? Do they go all out when they move to the bubble? Maybe they have a schedule and they get more aggressive as the season approaches? Maybe they are scared to death of the injury bug? Hell, I don't know, but I get what you're sayin'.

You think it's due to the heat? Do they go all out when they move to the bubble? Maybe they have a schedule and they get more aggressive as the season approaches? Maybe they are scared to death of the injury bug? Hell, I don't know, but I get what you're sayin'.

There are a few teams that go at it in the heat. Might not be as hot as down here, but still hot. Nah, they don't do much in the bubble due to the turf. Probably a lot of ST's and walk-throughs.

I was at the Saturday practice when they were in full pads and mentioned to a buddy of mine that I was surprised how tame it seemed. I mentioned maybe they'd turn it up a bit on game week, but it doesn't seem like they have. Granted, I'm going by pictures and the such, but how much bangin can you do in helmets only.

Back