Diontae Johnson
David Montgomery
Devin Singletary
Terry Mclaurin
Chase Winovich
Will Harris (S)
Bobby Okereke
Mike Edwards (S)

And that was just 2019 3rd Round picks that would have been better.

I'm sure after next draft, I could find roughly the same number of players that would ultimately be better than Conley.
Then again, how many great/decent college CBs disappear once they transition to the NFL?

Like Richard Sherman said earlier this week, only a fool would say Jimmy G isn't a stud QB, or something to that effect.

Ben Volin, Boston Globe: “The loss will subject Garoppolo to some criticism. All season long he fought the perception that he was just a caretaker of the 49ers’ offense, and that the team mostly succeeded because of its defense and run game. And with the Super Bowl on the line, Garoppolo couldn’t preserve the lead or lead his team from behind. Garoppolo had a memorable season — coming back from a torn ACL suffered last year, starting all 16 games, and leading his team to the Super Bowl. But he still has much to learn from Brady and Montana about closing out a championship.”

Bryan Curtis, The Ringer: “We’ve seen this fidgety character before. Blows the Super Bowl, gets stuck in a half state between actual greatness and the idea of it. The thing is, Jimmy G already seemed like that kind of player. There is a vast gulf between Garoppolo’s trappings—strong chin, Patriots pedigree, girlfriend—and his actual accomplishments, between the swaggering nickname and the hardware. A Super Bowl loss just made the idea more pronounced.”

Christina D’Andrea, SBNation: “When the pressure was dialed up to max, from both a Super Bowl and pass rush standpoint, Garoppolo faded. He couldn’t see through the fog of the Chiefs’ onslaught, and that doomed Shanahan’s pass-heavy approach to the fourth quarter. While San Francisco couldn’t afford to let off the gas against Kansas City, Steve Spagnuolo’s blitz-heavy defense meant the 49ers couldn’t effectively pass, either…Even so, this wasn’t a lost performance in the wake of his first season as a full-time, 16-game starting quarterback. For nearly 50 minutes, he looked like a Super Bowl MVP. Then, once the Chiefs figured him out, he didn’t.”

Jarrett Bell, USA Today: “Jimmy Garoppolo is not that guy. Not Joe Montana, not Tom Brady, not Steve Young. And certainly not Patrick Mahomes. The 49ers quarterback – whose “GQ looks” was one of the most hyped storylines in the buildup to Super Bowl LIV – had an opportunity to make his mark as a clutch performer on football’s biggest stage. And this did not turn out well.
“Garoppolo couldn’t raise his game – or his team’s game – when the 49ers needed him the most en route to falling 31-20 to the Chiefs. Instead, the 49ers got a major meltdown from the former Tom Brady backup, the highest-paid player in Super Bowl LIV with a five-year contract worth $137.5 million.”

Dieter Kurtenbach, Mercury News: “Jimmy Garoppolo had won a handful of games for the 49ers this year — in big moments, he shined. That was not the case in Miami. In the final 10 minutes of Super Bowl LIV, he went 2-of-10 for 24 yards and an interception. His fourth-quarter quarterback rating of 2.8 is the lowest in Super Bowl history… He was a one-read quarterback who thrived when those reads were clear but showed every bit of his struggle when the water became cloudy, missing wide-open receivers on critical plays with his eyes and, critically, with his throws.”

Micheal Hurley, CBS Boston: “Jimmy Garoppolo is no Tom Brady…Sure, Garoppolo was deadly accurate through the first three quarters of Super Bowl LIV, but the 49ers clearly did not want him to make any throws down the field. The one time he did, he completed it, but it got negated by an iffy offensive pass interference penalty.
“It’s about a quarterback getting four cracks at leading his team on a game-winning drive in the Super Bowl and coming up very short on each attempt.”

Skip Bayless, FS1’s The Undisputed: “This is what I would do: I would cut Jimmy G and sign Tom Brady for 2 more years. Tom Brady would live and love to go home. He would live for it because he started as a 49er fan in San Mateo, California…There is some hay-wire gene in Jimmy G, I call him ‘Jimmy Interception’. He’s going to throw a couple a game, maybe three a game, but as you say, ‘You gotta catch them, you got to be ready because they’re going to come unpredictably quickly and he’s got arm talent, so he’ll throw some lasers.
“But I don’t trust him, he’s capable of having a big, good game like he did at New Orleans [but] he’s also capable of last night. That was horrendous to me.”

Gregg Rosenthal, NFL.com: “Shanahan didn’t make a “safe” call. He dialed up a shot play and trusted his quarterback. Sanders got open, and Garoppolo didn’t deliver. If that one play goes differently, perhaps Reid’s breakthrough title never happens. Perhaps Shanahan is getting love in this article.
“That’s the thing about assigning blame, in addition to credit. There’s no one answer. Garoppolo could have saved some of Shanahan’s tepid decision-making with one heroic throw, but instead they will both face questions for the remainder of this offseason and beyond. Shanahan coached Garoppolo in the Super Bowl like he still wasn’t entirely sure what kind of quarterback he has.”

Source

Out of curiosity, what is it you like about Cole? It seems he's as injury prone as Fuller. In fact, has he even played a full season?
Fuller is a very good comparison both when healthy appear to be very good although we have less to evaluate from Cole. IIRC, one of his IRs was caused by a teammate and 2018 as he was running for a touchdown and was not hit. Difference for me is 2020 Cole could be return for vet minimum and Fuller it's not worth his 10 million dollar cap hit.

I've mentioned it before, but Jimmy is nothing special to me. He's a solid QB, but don't think he'll ever be a "top-tier" guy.

Seth Payne on 610 called him "A sexier Ryan Fitzpatrick" this morning... lol.

The only issue I ever had with JimmyG was that he's from a small school & was therefore more of a project than a 1st or 2nd round QB should be.

I thought the same about Carson Wentz, but I see with ample talent around him & coaches able to help him via play design, it's not as big an issue as I once thought.

But now he's a six year vet with plenty of starts under his belt.

I haven't watched him all season, but from what I've seen... I don't think we'd be happy with a Bill O'Brien coached JimmyG.

The only issue I ever had with JimmyG was that he's from a small school & was therefore more of a project than a 1st or 2nd round QB should be.

I thought the same about Carson Wentz, but I see with ample talent around him & coaches able to help him via play design, it's not as big an issue as I once thought.

I haven't watched him all season, but from what I've seen... I don't think we'd be happy with a Bill O'Brien coached JimmyG.

I would be very happy.

Not trying to defend him here but it will definitely come across as such. Garoppolo may be a 6 year vet, but he only had 2 starts in his 1st 3 years. And he's only had 26 total. That's not even 2 full years worth, and 11 starts less than Watson has. Even Mahomes, 3 years in who sat out a year, has 5 more starts than JG.

I don't understand how people expect these 2 and 3 year players to be at some elite level already. Brady wasn't, Manning wasn't, very few ever have. And for what it's worth, Mahomes looked pretty pedestrian for 51 minutes of that game. 2 bad throws on his picks and putting balls on the ground to wide open receivers on several occasions.

Sure, Mahomes appears to be at the head of the class among this up and coming new crop of QBs, but 2, 3 years in does not define the rest of your career.

I don't think there's a QB past, present or future that we'd be happy with OB coaching.

Ben Volin, Boston Globe: “The loss will subject Garoppolo to some criticism. All season long he fought the perception that he was just a caretaker of the 49ers’ offense, and that the team mostly succeeded because of its defense and run game. And with the Super Bowl on the line, Garoppolo couldn’t preserve the lead or lead his team from behind. Garoppolo had a memorable season — coming back from a torn ACL suffered last year, starting all 16 games, and leading his team to the Super Bowl. But he still has much to learn from Brady and Montana about closing out a championship.”

Bryan Curtis, The Ringer: “We’ve seen this fidgety character before. Blows the Super Bowl, gets stuck in a half state between actual greatness and the idea of it. The thing is, Jimmy G already seemed like that kind of player. There is a vast gulf between Garoppolo’s trappings—strong chin, Patriots pedigree, girlfriend—and his actual accomplishments, between the swaggering nickname and the hardware. A Super Bowl loss just made the idea more pronounced.”

Christina D’Andrea, SBNation: “When the pressure was dialed up to max, from both a Super Bowl and pass rush standpoint, Garoppolo faded. He couldn’t see through the fog of the Chiefs’ onslaught, and that doomed Shanahan’s pass-heavy approach to the fourth quarter. While San Francisco couldn’t afford to let off the gas against Kansas City, Steve Spagnuolo’s blitz-heavy defense meant the 49ers couldn’t effectively pass, either…Even so, this wasn’t a lost performance in the wake of his first season as a full-time, 16-game starting quarterback. For nearly 50 minutes, he looked like a Super Bowl MVP. Then, once the Chiefs figured him out, he didn’t.”

Jarrett Bell, USA Today: “Jimmy Garoppolo is not that guy. Not Joe Montana, not Tom Brady, not Steve Young. And certainly not Patrick Mahomes. The 49ers quarterback – whose “GQ looks” was one of the most hyped storylines in the buildup to Super Bowl LIV – had an opportunity to make his mark as a clutch performer on football’s biggest stage. And this did not turn out well.
“Garoppolo couldn’t raise his game – or his team’s game – when the 49ers needed him the most en route to falling 31-20 to the Chiefs. Instead, the 49ers got a major meltdown from the former Tom Brady backup, the highest-paid player in Super Bowl LIV with a five-year contract worth $137.5 million.”

Dieter Kurtenbach, Mercury News: “Jimmy Garoppolo had won a handful of games for the 49ers this year — in big moments, he shined. That was not the case in Miami. In the final 10 minutes of Super Bowl LIV, he went 2-of-10 for 24 yards and an interception. His fourth-quarter quarterback rating of 2.8 is the lowest in Super Bowl history… He was a one-read quarterback who thrived when those reads were clear but showed every bit of his struggle when the water became cloudy, missing wide-open receivers on critical plays with his eyes and, critically, with his throws.”

Micheal Hurley, CBS Boston: “Jimmy Garoppolo is no Tom Brady…Sure, Garoppolo was deadly accurate through the first three quarters of Super Bowl LIV, but the 49ers clearly did not want him to make any throws down the field. The one time he did, he completed it, but it got negated by an iffy offensive pass interference penalty.
“It’s about a quarterback getting four cracks at leading his team on a game-winning drive in the Super Bowl and coming up very short on each attempt.”

Skip Bayless, FS1’s The Undisputed: “This is what I would do: I would cut Jimmy G and sign Tom Brady for 2 more years. Tom Brady would live and love to go home. He would live for it because he started as a 49er fan in San Mateo, California…There is some hay-wire gene in Jimmy G, I call him ‘Jimmy Interception’. He’s going to throw a couple a game, maybe three a game, but as you say, ‘You gotta catch them, you got to be ready because they’re going to come unpredictably quickly and he’s got arm talent, so he’ll throw some lasers.
“But I don’t trust him, he’s capable of having a big, good game like he did at New Orleans [but] he’s also capable of last night. That was horrendous to me.”

Gregg Rosenthal, NFL.com: “Shanahan didn’t make a “safe” call. He dialed up a shot play and trusted his quarterback. Sanders got open, and Garoppolo didn’t deliver. If that one play goes differently, perhaps Reid’s breakthrough title never happens. Perhaps Shanahan is getting love in this article.
“That’s the thing about assigning blame, in addition to credit. There’s no one answer. Garoppolo could have saved some of Shanahan’s tepid decision-making with one heroic throw, but instead they will both face questions for the remainder of this offseason and beyond. Shanahan coached Garoppolo in the Super Bowl like he still wasn’t entirely sure what kind of quarterback he has.”

Source

Even as a big Jimmy G fan who touted him a lot, I have to say that a lot of these criticisms here aren't wrong based on what happened at the SB. Jimmy got real lucky and didn't have to put his team on his back at any point in his first two playoff games to get to the SB. He finally did, and he couldn't do anything in the entire 4th quarter. That's the real story. As a great QB, you've got to make some plays or have a big drive or two in the 4th quarter of the SB. Even after an entire failed 4th quarter Jimmy still ended up with the table set perfectly for him to have the magic finish like Montana had against the Bengals or Brady in so many SB's, and he still couldn't take his team down there for a score. He even had Sanders open downfield and couldn't execute the throw. He became very pedestrian out there in the 4th where he looked more like the bad version of Joe Flacco. He just didn't answer the bell.

Yep, he just missed Sanders on that Bomb after K.C. took the lead.

He did more than just miss Sanders. He missed TEs multiple times.

One of your criticism of Watson is not hitting TEs in the middle of the field. Check out this play where Garopollo misses a wide open Kittle. My point is that when young QBs are under pressure, they will miss plays. Regardless who is the QB flavor of the month, they all are making the same mistakes. We have the luxury of watching every snap Watson takes, so we tend to magnify his mistakes, but if you think the other young QBs are not making some of the same mistakes, we are mistaken.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2020/2...ge-kittle-throws-super-bowl-2020-49ers-chiefs

1580861787781.png

And I find the fact that someone that has been on this board for literally two weeks talking as if they know what has been said and who has said it to be unintelligent and petty.

Oh by the way, Chicago has major buyers remorse over Trubisky, who was drafted same year Watson was so has had just as much time to develop, and they are already talking about moving on from him and Wilson won a SB in his second season so yeah you might want to pick better examples.

I’m working with a few Bears fans now and they hate drafting ole Mitch.

No,

But I do believe that if RS had given up that 3rd round pick the Texans would be in the SB. Mahomes is that talented.

On a side note, who do you have in the SB?

Shanny has the better team, but I wouldn't bet against Mahomes. I could see Reid f'n up again in the SB

No we would not be in no darn SB . Especially under this regime. Smh

Mahomes was playing behind a garbage OL after Fisher/Wylie/LDT were hurt and played well.

Making excuses for DW4's poor play seems to be a past time around these parts. I get it after watching DW4 for the last month why some would have to be this way. But it's wrong to try to diminish Mahomes greatness in trying to prop DW4 up. The levels of their QB play isn't even in the same stratosphere right now.

Nobody is making excuses for Watson. People have come to the realization on who O’Brien is and the lack of growth to his system. It doesn’t matter how much talent he has.

He did more than just miss Sanders. He missed TEs multiple times.

One of your criticism of Watson is not hitting TEs in the middle of the field. Check out this play where Garopollo misses a wide open Kittle. My point is that when young QBs are under pressure, they will miss plays. Regardless who is the QB flavor of the month, they all are making the same mistakes. We have the luxury of watching every snap Watson takes, so we tend to magnify his mistakes, but if you think the other young QBs are not making some of the same mistakes, we are mistaken.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2020/2...ge-kittle-throws-super-bowl-2020-49ers-chiefs

View attachment 5615

I never said Jimmy G was a top 5 QB like the guys in this thread are making DW4 out to be. If you're a top 5 QB you consistently make that read.

BTW, wouldn't you say Jimmy G found Kittle in the middle of the field a lot more than DW4 found Fells/Akins? Just look at Kittle's numbers for your answer.

Sure he missed that play, but he made that play throughout the yr much more consistently than DW4 did. In fact throwing to the TE was a staple of Lil Shanny's WCO.

I never said Jimmy G was a top 5 QB like the guys in this thread are making DW4 out to be. If you're a top 5 QB you consistently make that read.

BTW, wouldn't you say Jimmy G found Kittle in the middle of the field a lot more than DW4 found Fells/Akins? Just look at Kittle's numbers for your answer.

Sure he missed that play, but he made that play throughout the yr much more consistently than DW4 did. In fact throwing to the TE was a staple of Lil Shanny's WCO.

I agree. The TEs are the staple of the Shanny WCO. It's not a staple of O'Brien's offense and this goes back before Watson joined the team. The Texans go weeks without getting their TEs involved. Even this past season, there were too many games where the TEs were targeted less than 3 times. It's rare that Kittle is targeted less than 5 times a game. This is another criticism of O'Brien's scheme. Ironically, the only QB under O'Brien who targeted the TEs was Brock. Other years, Alfred Blue was involved in the passing game as much as the TEs.

Finally, I've not seen any links or references with a TE this open and Watson has blatantly missed him like this play. Looks like he is reading half the field, locked on to a WR or only has one read. He's not even under any pressure. It happens to all QBs.

1580944538763.png

I agree. The TEs are the staple of the Shanny WCO. It's not a staple of O'Brien's offense and this goes back before Watson joined the team. The Texans go weeks without getting their TEs involved. Even this past season, there were too many games where the TEs were targeted less than 3 times. It's rare that Kittle is targeted less than 5 times a game. This is another criticism of O'Brien's scheme. Ironically, the only QB under O'Brien who targeted the TEs was Brock. Other years, Alfred Blue was involved in the passing game as much as the TEs.

Finally, I've not seen any links or references with a TE this open and Watson has blatantly missed him like this play. Looks like he is reading half the field, locked on to a WR or only has one read. He's not even under any pressure. It happens to all QBs.

View attachment 5619

The Texans haven't had a good TE since Daniels. Hopefully Warring can help with this. Warring has the athletic ability to be a Kittle/Kelce type differencemaker down the seam. Hopefully DW4 will learn to look at him.

The Texans haven't had a good TE since Daniels. Hopefully Warring can help with this. Warring has the athletic ability to be a Kittle/Kelce type differencemaker down the seam. Hopefully DW4 will learn to look at him.
I hope so too and hopefully O'Brien incorporates the TEs in the passing game. Do you know in 2014, Foster had more receptions than the entire TE group combined? How about even Blue having as many catches as the TEs?

Ignoring the TEs is a feature of the Texans offense.

I hope so too and hopefully O'Brien incorporates the TEs in the passing game. Do you know in 2014, Foster had more receptions than the entire TE group combined? How about even Blue having as many catches as the TEs?

That is a stunning statistic. And sickening.

Sad isn't if and that was before the OL went to hell in a handbasket. I think losing Fiedo really set this franchise back more than we know. He was really starting to become a well rounded TE before the concussions.

Drew Dougherty 2020 Mock Draft Survey, 2.0: Pass rush help predicted
Draft season is officially upon us, as the NFL Combine begins next week in Indianapolis. The Texans are without a first round pick for the next two springs, as they acquired Pro Bowl left tackle Laremy Tunsil and receiver Kenny Stills from Miami in exchange for the 2020 and 2021 first round picks, the 2021 second round selection, as well as cornerback Johnson Bademosi and tackle Julién Davenport. Houston also picked up the Dolphins’ third round pick this season, which they then dealt to Oakland in October for cornerback Gareon Conley. The Texans have the 57th overall pick, and it’ll be their first selection this April. That’s a second-rounder.
Over the last decade, HoustonTexans.com has routinely done a Mock Draft Survey, compiling all the notable mock drafts from around the internet. Most mock drafts only cover the first round, so the amount of pickers for the Texans in 2020 is drastically reduced. As you’ll see in the table below, Boise State pass rusher Curtis Weaver is the most-mocked player to the Texans, as he appeared in three mock drafts out of 11. Wisconsin running back Jonathan Taylor showed up on a pair of mock drafts. In all, five mockers had Houston selecting help on the defensive front, and four had them taking a running back. A corner, a receiver and an offensive lineman appeared on the other mocks. We’ll post Mock Draft Survey, 3.0 in mid-March. Here’s a look back at what the experts went with in the first Mock Draft Survey for 2020, which was shortly after last year’s Draft, and over three months before the blockbuster deal with the Dolphins.

Publication Player Last Updated
HOUSTON CHRONICLE (J. MCCLAIN) DE/OLB CURTIS WEAVER, BOISE STATE 2/18/20
THE DRAFT NETWORK (T. SIKKEMA) DE/OLB CURTIS WEAVER, BOISE STATE 2/15/20
NFL.COM (C. REUTER) DE/OLB CURTIS WEAVER, BOISE STATE 2/3/20
PRO FOOTBALL FOCUS (M. RENNER) RB JONATHAN TAYLOR, WISCONSIN 2/11/20
YAHOO! SPORTS (E. EDHOLM) RB JONATHAN TAYLOR, WISCONSIN 2/10/20
ROTOWORLD (T. NYSTROM) RB CLYDE EDWARDS-HELAIRE, LSU 2/11/20
THE ATHLETIC (A. REISS) DL JORDAN ELLIOTT, MISSOURI 2/19/20
HOUSTON CHRONICLE (A. WILSON) DE/OLB TERRELL LEWIS, ALABAMA 2/18/20
DRAFTEK CB CAMERON DANTZLER, MISSISSIPPI STATE 2/18/20
BLEACHER REPORT (M. MILLER) WR JAELEN REAGOR, TCU 2/3/20
USA TODAY (L. EASTERLING) OL SHANE LEMIEUX, OREGON 2/17/20