Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

O'Brien vs. Kubiak

@76Texan to everyone in this thread:

tenor.gif

Mediocrity is mediocrity.

This thread is more about

Do you like nice guy Southern Style mediocrity or do you mean guy Northeast style mediocrity.

I think the thing that really chaps 76's hide is that in his mind Kubiak tenure here was/is way above BoB's..The data being thrown in his face by a few of us just doesn't support it though lol.

We never saw Kubiak have full control. O’Brian, has been elevated to GM around same time line as Kubiak stroke and termination.

Being objective, Kubiak trend line was pointing down while O’Brian is up.

Do I feel any better about one or the other? Hell no.

Kubiak didn't officially have the title, but he basically hand picked Smith as his GM & some would say thru him he had full control by proxy. Kubiak after 6 years was just now getting us to the playoffs.

I think the thing that really chaps 76's hide is that in his mind Kubiak tenure here was/is way above BoB's..The data being thrown in his face by a few of us just doesn't support it though lol.

Its much deeper than that. A lot of posters were true die hards of Kubiak. Most of them were Aggie fans. Some liked his hair, some liked his nice guy persona, and some really bought into the false idea that he had finally made them contenders after almost a decade or whatever and that the 2-14 season wasn't true. So when OB was hired they immediately hated him the way that a scorned woman hates the guy's new girlfriend and is bitter about the old relationship ending and how it all happened. Look up Scooter's posts when OB was first hired. A lot of them just wanted to see turmoil for OB because he was the new girlfriend for the Texans in their mind and they've always wanted to feel justified in their minds about Kubiak firing being a mistake and what could have been.

LOL @ "data to support a Pro Obrien position" in this discussion. LMAOOO .. does this data consist of quips like "i know you are but what am I" -- HAHA this guy said data thats hilarious.

Dudes all over OBriens jock because he's winning with Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak guys? Now thats irony!

Funny, b/c this is the same dude whose to chicken **** to even debate things on the merits. He’s responding and commenting on the posts of folks who he has listed that he supposedly ignores...the irony.

Yeah, and won't say their names even though its very obvious who he is trying to comment on/from. It makes it even more embarrassing for him and his antics he puts on display.

Holy cow. I can't believe this thread is 11 pages long already. Off-seasons are brutal! :hankpalm:

Maybe both could be fantastic head coaches under a different owner. We've got an owner family that likes to act like they let their football people do everything, but in reality they stick their noses into things and force issues and management styles that ultimately puts a cap on progress. It is ultimately the common denominator between both regimes. The McNairs don't know how to run a championship caliber front office and the dysfunction was baked into the organization from the beginning.

Yeah, and that team got exposed as a fraud by collapsing at the end of the year losing like 3 out of their last 4. Even in Kubiak's best statistical winning season, it ended in looking like a huge train wreck by the end of it. The 2-14 disaster was just a continuation obviously.

Oh ok so this team been a fraud since day one huh?

Not really, that was just a terrible season in which a few things going wrong. They were in the majority of those games , losing between 3-7 points. They were not routinely getting embarrassed like we are now.

Not really, that was just a terrible season in which a few things going wrong. They were in the majority of those games , losing between 3-7 points. They were not routinely getting embarrassed like we are now.

I can't even wrap my head around the "absurdity" that going 2-14 is somehow less embarrassing than the Texans winning their division going 11-5 and losing in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

That is is pure "O'Brien derangement syndrome" there, and this is coming from someone that can't stand O'Brien and argues against him regularly.

An owner forcing a head coach to play and accept specific players is utterly dysfunctional.

The way McNair slobbered all over Ed Reed that year by throwing his own team under the bus, sending his private plane to pick him up to red carpet parade him in Houston, and doing it all without either his HC or DC knowing about it says all that we need to know about the owner.

And check this out, just released: Ed Reed Feels the Texans 'Lied' to Him in 2013

Take his recent interview for what it's worth, but dude is still a HoF player and his perspective about his time with McNair and the Texans should be considered.

And remember what McNair said about bringing him here. Pure meddling by a clueless owner.

I can't even wrap my head around the "absurdity" that going 2-14 is somehow less embarrassing than the Texans winning their division going 11-5 and losing in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

That is is pure "O'Brien derangement syndrome" there, and this is coming from someone that can't stand O'Brien and argues against him regularly.

You clear missed the point. That is not what I said or was eluding too. You’re bashing one regime all because one member said some fly stuff. All regimes sucked. And again at least that regime played competitive in those games verses getting embarrassed consistently.

You can say that about those Watson haters too. As far as those that don’t like O’Brien, well he’s not giving us the chance to really like him. What has he done to convince you he’s the right one for all the job titles he holds today.

Like DB said, this organization is dysfunctional. Great job McNairs.

Holy cow. I can't believe this thread is 11 pages long already. Off-seasons are brutal!

Seriously? I knew the 1st time I saw the title it was going to be a thousand pages of blah, blah, blah.

One of these days one of these threads will end with, "hey, I see your point now. That totally changes everything. Thanks bud."

You clear missed the point. That is not what I said or was eluding too. You’re bashing one regime all because one member said some fly stuff. All regimes sucked. And again at least that regime played competitive in those games verses getting embarrassed consistently.

That isn't what I did in any way, shape, or form. You're having to change what this conversation was about due to the failed inaccuracy of what you tried to put forth. And what are you even talking about it played competitive? Going 2-14? That is just a stupid statement to make statistically and factually all together.

You can say that about those Watson haters too. As far as those that don’t like O’Brien, well he’s not giving us the chance to really like him. What has he done to convince you he’s the right one for all the job titles he holds today.

This isn't a Watson debate, so save those arguments for those that don't like him in those threads. Stick to what this discussion is and was.

Like DB said, this organization is dysfunctional. Great job McNairs.

That may be true, but it doesn't have anything to do with the failures of OB and Kubiak. The Mcnairs biggest problems have been giving them to much of a long leash and letting them screw up for way to long before doing anything about it.

Speaking of jockstraps, I wonder what Watson's jockstrap really smells like. Maybe he can tell us..

Dude this a straight up Bleep response. You got a freaking problem with me how about talking directly to me. Better yet block me and keep your sideways comments to yourself.

And how about you take Bill O’Briens kick stand out your mouth.

Mods just know this chump attack me first.

Last edited:
Dude this a straight up Bleep response. You got a freaking problem with me how about talking directly to me. Better yet block me and keep your sideways comments to yourself.

There's a lot of weird love obrien/ hate Watson mentality in this forum.

Calm down. That would be all good and fine, but the response was NOT directed towards YOU. It was directed towards the person who has gone totally overboard............put half of the MB on ignore.

Note that the "jockstrap comment" was in his last post. Just a return of favor.

Be assured that if I had a beef with you, I would address you directly.

Last edited:

I wouldn't call that an attack.

Maybe a rude comment regarding an observation, but to be fair you did try to claim that 2-14 was a better season than what The Texans just had this year. You kinda asked for it.

I wouldn't call that an attack.

Maybe a rude comment regarding an observation, but to be fair you did try to claim that 2-14 was a better season than what The Texans just had this year. You kinda asked for it.

No you assumed I said that. No way in heck would I ever say a 2-14 season is better. I said they were competitive in those games. I also said they were not getting embarrassed consistently

No you assumed I said that. No way in heck would I ever say a 2-14 season is better. I said they were competitive in those games. I also said they were not getting embarrassed consistently

Which makes no sense at all when you're 2-14. You're trying to paint that like it can look like a good 2-14 team or one that fans should have been proud of or something. Matt Schaub was breaking the pick 6 records that season, Keenum couldn't read a blitz, and the defense was atrocious after being a top defense the season prior. There isn't one thing you can pinpoint to back up that statement, and even if you could it would still be a fool's errand to try and persuade anyone that a 2-14 season is anything other than ugly and embarrassing.

Obrien couldn't even build a good offense in college.

1. Kubiak
2. June Jones
99. Obrien

I think it's obvious that Kubiak has proven more at a professional level than either OB or June Jones. In June Jones defense though, I think he makes a great minor league coach. I'm glad the Roughnecks have him. As to who I'd rather have (out of the three) running the Texans offense, it would be Kubiak by a mile. I'd rather have June Jones running the Texans offense than OB, but what I really mean is I'd rather have anyone other than OB running the offense. I love Jones for the Roughnecks, but he wasn't all that successful in the NFL.

And lost 3 of the last 4 badly which led many to foresee the collapse coming
Yeah, and that team got exposed as a fraud by collapsing at the end of the year losing like 3 out of their last 4. Even in Kubiak's best statistical winning season, it ended in looking like a huge train wreck by the end of it. The 2-14 disaster was just a continuation obviously.
Man, those last three games were brutal.
Go to NE and get boat raced 42 to something. Come back home and beat the Colts by 12. Then get absolutely pummeled by the Vikings. Under 200 total yards of offense that game. Then get beat by 12 in Indy. Just a whimper to end the season. Those games were hard to watch. It's like the air had completely gone out of the balloon.

I think it's obvious that Kubiak has proven more at a professional level than either OB or June Jones. In June Jones defense though, I think he makes a great minor league coach. I'm glad the Roughnecks have him. As to who I'd rather have (out of the three) running the Texans offense, it would be Kubiak by a mile. I'd rather have June Jones running the Texans offense than OB, but what I really mean is I'd rather have anyone other than OB running the offense. I love Jones for the Roughnecks, but he wasn't all that successful in the NFL.
That's because the Run and Shoot offense and its personnel make up can only go so far against NFL defenses.

Which makes no sense at all when you're 2-14. You're trying to paint that like it can look like a good 2-14 team or one that fans should have been proud of or something. Matt Schaub was breaking the pick 6 records that season, Keenum couldn't read a blitz, and the defense was atrocious after being a top defense the season prior. There isn't one thing you can pinpoint to back up that statement, and even if you could it would still be a fool's errand to try and persuade anyone that a 2-14 season is anything other than ugly and embarrassing.
The worst part was that we started 2-0 that season, then lost 14 in a row. Several of those loses we did keep pretty close by losing by only a few points, however we did suffer some pretty bad blow out losses as well by more than 20 points.

Holy cow. I can't believe this thread is 11 pages long already. Off-seasons are brutal! :hankpalm:

Maybe both could be fantastic head coaches under a different owner. We've got an owner family that likes to act like they let their football people do everything, but in reality they stick their noses into things and force issues and management styles that ultimately puts a cap on progress. It is ultimately the common denominator between both regimes. The McNairs don't know how to run a championship caliber front office and the dysfunction was baked into the organization from the beginning.

I've been saying this since 2008

I'm surprised it's taken this long for some to catch on to the McNairs schemes

The worst part was that we started 2-0 that season, then lost 14 in a row. Several of those loses we did keep pretty close by losing by only a few points, however we did suffer some pretty bad blow out losses as well by more than 20 points.
That year could have been (probably should have been) 0-16. That Monday night opener was a Cushing pick 6 away from a loss.

And the next week was Schaub redeeming himself from his first of many pick 6’s that year.
Rough year.

That year could have been (probably should have been) 0-16. That Monday night opener was a Cushing pick 6 away from a loss.

And the next week was Schaub redeeming himself from his first of many pick 6’s that year.
Rough year.
Disagree. Because there were several games we should have WON as well. A loss in overtime, close loss to KC 17-16, and several losses by a field goal. We could have easily went 8-8 that year.

Back