Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

O'Brien gained respect

amazing80

Hall of Fame
This was the single most impressive win in BoB's tenure here, maybe in franchise history. This team has major potential if he can continue to improve and learn. He has made impressive changes over the past two weeks and has earned the right to some respect. I hope he continues to run this offense and help Watson grow. He's earned the right to be praised...for now. Just keep it going

Earl34

Hall of Fame
OB was still calling the plays. It appears he has changed our offensive scheme. More short routes, two tight end sets, using the middle of the field more. A huge difference from the beginning of the year.
Everything we are seeing the last two weeks from an offensive standpoint is what we have been clamoring for and why we have criticized O'Brien. I hope he continues this roll.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Lots of things to clean up from this one, and their qb was still visibly not physically the same.

But, we got it done and OB seemed to have pulled enough of the right strings to do so. Kudos.
Mahomes was hobbled but Texans didn’t have Jojo all game and Roby half the game yet still held him in check 2nd half with a patchwork secondary. Well deserved win.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
I've always been a fan of O'Brien. I like his emphasis on time of possession and his commitment to the run.

He has been here a while and he now has the personnel and the players have the experience to play the system at a high level.

Stability at the Head Coach position is vital to long term success of a franchise, it's one thing that the Texans have done well in it's history.

*puts on flame retardant suit in preparation*

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Hopefully this style of play is the "norm" because if our team looks more like this rather than the perennial shitfests we've been subjected to thus far, then we might actually have a shot against teams in the playoffs.
Ob had them ready. A bad start but they came together today. We've seen what this team CAN be.

Man up. Execute. Be consistent. Impose your will. We have the potential. Just stay on course.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Ob had them ready. A bad start but they came together today. We've seen what this team CAN be.

Man up. Execute. Be consistent. Impose your will. We have the potential. Just stay on course.

Sure. Of course.

I just think it's comical that it's the guy's sixth year and we're still dying for and hanging on to any semblance of competence, cohesion, positive play, and evolved performance. As if this is his second year.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Sure. Of course.

I just think it's comical that it's the guy's sixth year and we're still dying for and hanging on to any semblance of competence, cohesion, positive play, and evolved performance. As if this is his second year.
I'm just asking to see more.

It's still the AFC championship game for me or bust.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I think 2 calls that you have to give O'Brien credit for are :

1) The challenge on the no-call for offensive pass interference on the 50 yard swing pass to the Chiefs RB. Clearly a pick play, and should have reversed a huge gain. It's also apparent that the refs in NY don't like the new PI challenge, and aren't going to bother getting the play right.

2) Going for putting the game away on 4th & 3 with 2 minutes left in the game. Put the ball in the hands of your superstars and let them decide the game. Hopefully, this continues.

The Colts gave the league the blueprint to beat the Chiefs. Though the Texans didn't play a perfect game, they stuck to the plan of ball control offense and pressure defense. It worked. Keep up the good work.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Sure. Of course.

The talent is finally there to have a productive offense. Adding 3 OL/ a RB/ WR and taking things off of Watson's plate has really helped the offense.

EVOLVIST

Kid A
...and their qb was still visibly not physically the same.
You know, I don't say much around here, but I'm sick of this talk about Mahomes not being 100%. It's the NFL. You take what you get every single week. Players drop like flies. It's not uncommon.

When Watson wasn't 100% last year, with a punctured lung, no less, did anybody throw out that excuse for Watson? Hell no! A player has to thrive in less than optimal conditions. If you can't do that, then you're a buttercup.

In fact, Watson has been playing in less than optimal conditions since he was drafted. Mahomes, and incredibly gifted player, was gifted an entire team and coaching staff that he could thrive in, yet Watson has been neck and neck with this dude despite it all.

Now, the first sign of injury for Mahomes and two weeks in a row he folds like a lawnchair. If he was "all that" he would have pulled an Aaron Rodgers or a Ben Roethlisberger...or a Deshaun Watson.

No excuses. You win because you win in a game of inches.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker

Stay aggressive. Going for it on that 4th down was one of the best decisions I've seen. Billy found out something about our kicking game. Expect some heads to roll.
BTW, that has to be the 2nd ugliest picture I've seen. Whoever made the donation and bought your rights for a month really fixed you up.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
You know, I don't say much around here, but I'm sick of this talk about Mahomes not being 100%. It's the NFL. You take what you get every single week. Players drop like flies. It's not uncommon.

When Watson wasn't 100% last year, with a punctured lung, no less, did anybody throw out that excuse for Watson? Hell no! A player has to thrive in less than optimal conditions. If you can't do that, then you're a buttercup.

In fact, Watson has been playing in less than optimal conditions since he was drafted. Mahomes, and incredibly gifted player, was gifted an entire team and coaching staff that he could thrive in, yet Watson has been neck and neck with this dude despite it all.

Now, the first sign of injury for Mahomes and two weeks in a row he folds like a lawnchair. If he was "all that" he would have pulled an Aaron Rodgers or a Ben Roethlisberger...or a Deshaun Watson.

No excuses. You win because you win in a game of inches.
Lots of people in here pointed to Watson being hurt as a factor toward his performance. And reasonably so.

Players play hurt, sure, and people mention it regularly when it affects their play.

This is nothing new.

EVOLVIST

Kid A
Lots of people in here pointed to Watson being hurt as a factor toward his performance. And reasonably so.

Players play hurt, sure, and people mention it regularly when it affects their play.

This is nothing new.
You really didn't address what I wrote. But that's cool. Watson got wins while hurt. Did Mahomes get wins while hurt? Nope. No, he didn't.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
You really didn't address what I wrote. But that's cool. Watson got wins while hurt. Did Mahomes get wins while hurt? Nope. No, he didn't.
I addressed specifically what you wrote. In the first sentence. People talked about Watson's injuries while he was hurt.

My initial point wasn't to coddle Mahomes, it was to say that we didn't necessarily take their best punch, because we didn't. Doesn't mean it's not still a solid win, because it is.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
It's not the kicker, did you watch the fk'n game?
JB, I saved this piece a while back because it gave such a great explanation and highlights on the subject......and just found it (sorry, I didn't save the link). But it goes along with the things I've heard from others in the know regarding the "laces myth."
***************************************************************************************************************
It's a myth that the placement of the laces has any effect on the kick. The foot (or the part of the foot that actually matters) makes contact with the ball well below the stripes or laces. From that alone, one can deduce that it doesn't matter. If the foot did hit the stripe, the kicker fucked up.

One of my favorite bits trivia is that having the laces in will actually help the ball fly further, in theory at least. This is because kicking is all about air pressure. The goal when kicking is to compress the ball as much as possible for as long as possible. This is why you see kickers who can put their foot over their head. The more flexible the kicker, the longer his foot can stay on the ball.

A regulation football is inflated to 13.5 psi. Ideally, you want your kick to decrease the size of the ball by 1/3 which, by Boyle's Law, will increase the pressure by ~30%. That force is being exerted on the top side of the ball facing away from the kicker. You want an efficient energy transfer between the foot and the back side of the ball bladder. The laces and stripes are stitched on. This means that there are holes in the leather where they are attached. If the laces are out, the bladder can expand into these holes which means the volume of air increases, and the pressure decreases. Obviously, the effect is negligible, but it is interesting.

The one problem I see from the thumbnail picture that could have affected the kick is that the ball is tilted too far back. Ideally, the ball should be facing slightly away from the kicker to expose more the bottom, allowing the kicker to hit further under the ball. It also looks like the kicker's plant foot is too close to the ball. The expression I learned is that the plant leg is the smart leg and the kicking leg is the dumb one. If you want to know where the ball is going, look at the plant foot. The plant is tricky in college because they don't get a tee for reference. This means that the holder has to be consistent with where he places the ball otherwise the kicker's plant foot will be in the wrong spot.

EVOLVIST

Kid A
I addressed specifically what you wrote. In the first sentence. People talked about Watson's injuries while he was hurt.

My initial point wasn't to coddle Mahomes, it was to say that we didn't necessarily take their best punch, because we didn't. Doesn't mean it's not still a solid win, because it is.
It's a coddle. A mollycoddle. :fingergun:

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
JB, I saved this piece a while back because it gave such a great explanation and highlights on the subject......and just found it (sorry, I didn't save the link). But it goes along with the things I've heard from others in the know regarding the "laces myth."
***************************************************************************************************************
It's a myth that the placement of the laces has any effect on the kick. The foot (or the part of the foot that actually matters) makes contact with the ball well below the stripes or laces. From that alone, one can deduce that it doesn't matter. If the foot did hit the stripe, the kicker fucked up.

One of my favorite bits trivia is that having the laces in will actually help the ball fly further, in theory at least. This is because kicking is all about air pressure. The goal when kicking is to compress the ball as much as possible for as long as possible. This is why you see kickers who can put their foot over their head. The more flexible the kicker, the longer his foot can stay on the ball.

A regulation football is inflated to 13.5 psi. Ideally, you want your kick to decrease the size of the ball by 1/3 which, by Boyle's Law, will increase the pressure by ~30%. That force is being exerted on the top side of the ball facing away from the kicker. You want an efficient energy transfer between the foot and the back side of the ball bladder. The laces and stripes are stitched on. This means that there are holes in the leather where they are attached. If the laces are out, the bladder can expand into these holes which means the volume of air increases, and the pressure decreases. Obviously, the effect is negligible, but it is interesting.

The one problem I see from the thumbnail picture that could have affected the kick is that the ball is tilted too far back. Ideally, the ball should be facing slightly away from the kicker to expose more the bottom, allowing the kicker to hit further under the ball. It also looks like the kicker's plant foot is too close to the ball. The expression I learned is that the plant leg is the smart leg and the kicking leg is the dumb one. If you want to know where the ball is going, look at the plant foot. The plant is tricky in college because they don't get a tee for reference. This means that the holder has to be consistent with where he places the ball otherwise the kicker's plant foot will be in the wrong spot.
The laces thing is psychological. It's the last thing the kicker sees while planting and before making contact.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The Colts gave the league the blueprint to beat the Chiefs. Though the Texans didn't play a perfect game, they stuck to the plan of ball control offense and pressure defense. It worked. Keep up the good work.
It was actually the Lions the week before. They didn't get the win, but they showed how to do it. Colts did the same thing, got the win. We did it today, got the win. KC goes to Denver on a short week. I'm curious to see how they look.

This is a big win for Bill O'Brien. But it may fall under the putting away a bad team category more than beating a good team when it's all said & done. The Chargers may be the best in the West this year.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker

Whoever wrote it was no expert in physics. He would be right if the ball were travelling in a vacuum. Air resistance enters into it. Laces to the right, ball curves to the right. Laces to the left has the opposite effect.

Last edited: