Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

Khelar

Rookie
Or Stroud could be rookie of year and 5 year probowler..
We just don't know.
Just an observation from my short time on here, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone (besides you now I guess) say they don’t know. Somehow random fans on a forum all seem to be very sure about what is happening internally in the org, who has made what decisions, and what coaches want and don’t want. All without any actual insight

wildroot

Rookie
No mention of panicing under pressure, weak arm and happy feet.

I like Levis if we're going to choose a QB, but Stroud is very highly regarded by the professionals who have put together Scouting reports on him, so I'd be good with him as well.

just one of many below.

michaelm

vox nihili

I like Levis if we're going to choose a QB, but Stroud is very highly regarded by the professionals who have put together Scouting reports on him, so I'd be good with him as well.

just one of many below.

I've only watched him in one full game, the Peach Bowl, and he was outstanding in that game, both in a clean pocket and under pressure.

Having said that:

What he needs to improve: We just talked about how good Stroud is when kept clean in the pocket (71.7% completion rate, 35 touchdowns, 93.4 PFF grade). Well, he is basically the polar opposite under pressure (41.3% completion rate, six touchdowns, 42.0 PFF grade).

Texian

Hall of Fame

just one of many below.

Here is a professional opinion by someone who has watched every play of every game Stroud has played:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Here is a professional opinion by someone who has watched every play of every game Stroud has played:
Neither analyst made that assertion. And I think the RS freshman video you posted the other day on contradicted their take on Stroud's ability to move in the pocket. Regarding their take on Stroud's arm strength, meh. It's certainly as good or better than Goff's or Hurts. And they're having NFL success.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Neither analyst made that assertion. And I think the RS freshman video you posted the other day on contradicted their take on Stroud's ability to move in the pocket. Regarding their take on Stroud's arm strength, meh. It's certainly as good or better than Goff's or Hurts. And they're having NFL success.
Goff if a perfect comparison for where Stroud's NFL ceiling will be.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Arm strength is certainly a red flag. More important is how poorly he has performed under pressure. You do see evidence of happy feet when he is pressured. You don't see a lot of it because he is playing behind an All-American, All-Big Ten OL.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Arm strength is certainly a red flag. More important is how poorly he has performed under pressure. You do see evidence of happy feet when he is pressured. You don't see a lot of it because he is playing behind an All-American, All-Big Ten OL.
I didn't see that on video. And I don't trust these internet scouts 100%, either. Who in their right mind would watch Will Levis and Anthony Richardson, and think they are on the same level as CJ Stroud. One guy can make all the throws, the other guys couldn't even run their college offenses. Ridiculous.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
I’m not counting on it. Panics under pressure, weak arm and happy feet. Has a great OL and the best WR corp in college.
And with that great offensive line and that wide receiver corps, he was expected to go to the championship. With a improved Texans line and improved receiver group, we would not expect him to go to the Super Bowl just Improve.

No one needs to go to extreme either way; simply consider ALL info.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Goff if a perfect comparison for where Stroud's NFL ceiling will be.
Hey, TB instead of giving me an unlike, tell me what you think Stroud's ceiling is? I happen to think Goff was a top 15 QB this year.

What is the difference between Stroud and Goff? Both are very accurate and have good not great arms. They're both mobile but it's certainly not their strong suit. They both don't perform well when under pressure etc....

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I didn't see that on video. And I don't trust these internet scouts 100%, either. Who in their right mind would watch Will Levis and Anthony Richardson, and think they are on the same level as CJ Stroud. One guy can make all the throws, the other guys couldn't even run their college offenses. Ridiculous.
Could make all of the throws is somewhat true, I don't think Stroud is exceptional on deep sideline throws from the far hash. Although he can somewhat do it. It's hard to say about his deep throwing accuracy because his guys were usually wide open on those types of throws.

He's Goff IMHO, you ok with picking Goff at 1-2 knowing who Stroud's agent is?

Texansballer74

The Marine
Hey, TB instead of giving me an unlike, tell me what you think Stroud's ceiling is? I happen to think Goff was a top 15 QB this year.

What is the difference between Stroud and Goff? Both are very accurate and have good not great arms. They're both mobile but it's certainly not their strong suit. They both don't perform well when under pressure etc....
It’s a waste of time and you know it.

Texian

Hall of Fame
And with that great offensive line and that wide receiver corps, he was expected to go to the championship. With a improved Texans line and improved receiver group, we would not expect him to go to the Super Bowl just Improve.

No one needs to go to extreme either way; simply consider ALL info.
Stroud is going to be under pressure a lot more in the NFL than he is at Ohio State.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Well of course and that is stating the obvious! That can be said of every single player coming out in the draft.
Well if his college QB rating drops precipitously to a level that is lower than most when he is pressured, expect worse when he gets to the NFL.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Well if his college QB rating drops precipitously to a level that is lower than most when he is pressured, expect worse when he gets to the NFL.
Expect the worst but hope for better. If we have a good quarterback coach, It is just as possible that he will be better. I am not I must say pushing for Stroud to be our quarterback.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Expect the worst but hope for better. If we have a good quarterback coach, It is just as possible that he will be better. I am not I must say pushing for Stroud to be our quarterback.
I'm hoping for much more out of pick 1-2 than expect the worst and hope for better. This attitude is why I hope the pick is Carter or Young.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Difference is Mills wasn't drafted at 1-2.
Really? If they both bust they have the same ROI. So if Stroud is a disappointment he would be a BUST. If you want to call Mills a flop and a wasted draft pick, I'm OK with that but you would still get the same ROI for both, zero.

Texian

Hall of Fame
So who do you want?
So I am on record saying I want Young, sit him on the bench for a year and hope you can get Williams or Maye next year. New coach could pull a Jimmy Johnso and go 1 -16. Then trade Young for (2) 1s. Not sure you could get that for Stroud. Therefore with 1.2 I would go Anderson if Young is not there.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Really? If they both bust they have the same ROI. So if Stroud is a disappointment he would be a BUST. If you want to call Mills a flop and a wasted draft pick, I'm OK with that but you would still get the same ROI for both, zero.
Cost of investment is a principle factor in ROI, no?

So perhaps you're of the opinion that 1.2 is equal to 3.67 in nfl draft capital..

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
There's a big difference between 1-2 busting and 3-65 busting.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Someone would have moved up to 1.1 last year and taken Stroud, had he been eligible.

Every bit of analysis on Stroud right now is from internet scouts. Think about that for just a little bit.
Goff went 1-1 and last year was a bad QB class so I guess it's plausible that Stroud would have gone 1-1 last year.

Have any of the internet scouts compared him to Goff?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Goff went 1-1 and last year was a bad QB class so I guess it's plausible that Stroud would have gone 1-1 last year.

There's no doubt a QB hungry team woul have moved up to 1.1. last year. Maybe even the Lions.

I compared Stroud's arm strength to Goff, yesterday. And you came back and compared his whole game. So that's two. :)

Number19

Hall of Fame
Someone would have moved up to 1.1 last year and taken Stroud, had he been eligible.

Every bit of analysis on Stroud right now is from internet scouts. Think about that for just a little bit.
The analysis by Josh McCown were solid. I guess the fact he posted on the internet makes him an "internet scout"; but a "professional" internet scout.

Texian

Hall of Fame

All the more reason why you draft Young or Stroud and sit them for a year and if you can draft Williams or Maye, you trade Young or Stroud for more value than their 2023 draft value.

So if internet scouts from a professional organization, owned by a former player, watch every play from every game, and every team in the NFL subscribes to their services, what does that say about your analysis? I've thought about that.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
So if internet scouts from a professional organization, owned by a former player, watch every play from every game, and every team in the NFL subscribes to their services, what does that say about your analysis? I've thought about that.
That "professional organization" had Malik Willis going #6 in their last 2022 mock draft. All 32 teams must have been laughing their arse off when they read that.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I've seen a lot of opinions here about why nick is still on board and maybe some of them are right ,but I haven't seen anyone suggest this...

Is NC a lame duck destined to be let go after the draft like Casserly? We retain all draft inclinations/preferences by waiting to fire him after the draft. Just a thought.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I've seen a lot of opinions here about why nick is still on board and maybe some of them are right ,but I haven't seen anyone suggest this...

Is NC a lame duck destined to be let go after the draft like Casserly? We retain all draft inclinations/preferences by waiting to fire him after the draft. Just a thought.
We will know how much power Caserio has when the next HC is hired.