Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

I am just trying to figure out how 6 foot 1 inch is equivalent to 5 foot 10 inches…
It's not so much about his height, but his frame. They're comparing skinny Garcia to Bryce Young & that's a good comparison, for those of us who are concerned about his durability.

The height is a different issue. A second strike against Bryce Young.

Matt Stafford missed alot of games early in his career and he's neither a midget or unicorn. Andrew Luck isn't a small man either and had to retire because of injuries. Yet we see Jeff Garcia play 10 years in nfl and he was a slight man. Its the nfl where anyone can be taken out with 1 injury despite their size.

Agreed,

But if you're spending 1-2 on a QB you have to acknowledge the odds of a smaller guy getting injured. If what CnD said is true and I've go no doubt he knows what he's talking about and Young has already injured his shoulder 4 times although he's missed only one game then the odds of him having/getting labrum damage is very high. Labrum damage is a killer for a QB, so I would pass. In addition to a QB his size never being truly successful in the NFL, I dont like those odds either.

I’m not doubting any of that. Those guys were drafted where they were because they could play & they had the size. For them, size wasn’t about durability, it was about playing from the pocket.

Jeff Garcia could play. He was drafted where he was, partly because he didn’t have that size to play tall from the pocket. Durability may have been a concern, but secondary at most.

Young is probably a better prospect than Garcia coming out of college, I don’t know. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Young should be drafted in a slot between where Luck/Stafford was drafted & where Garcia was drafted (undrafted). I can see 1st round. I can’t see top of the 1st round unless it’s a really bad draft.

I see Young having a career very much like Garcia's if he can stay healthy. Very good, but not exceptional, one things for sure Young will instantly upgrade the QB position. The question is, is he a good long term pick? My answer to that question is that the odds say. no he's not.

Why does it matter what part of the round it is? If that’s the guy you want and you know he’s not going to be there later, you take him when you can get him. We’re not talking Al Davis taking a WR in the 1st that he could have gotten in the 3rd or 4th here.

True,

The question is should you pick a guy higher than you should because he fills a need.

Because he's not the only person I want in the draft. I want Bijon Robinson, but I'm not going to draft him at 1.2

There are better prospects.

Somebody is going to fall in love with Anthony Richardson. Should they take him with the 5th pick in the draft? Even if they need a QB but feel there are three better prospects they should pick one of those three. That 5th overall pick has value, they could trade down foregoing those three better prospects but picking up extra draft capital in return.

If you have Bryce Young as your number one prospect, take him. I just don't see how he can be your #1 prospect. I didn't see how Kyler Murray could be anyone's #1 prospect either... so I'm well aware there are people out there that don't think like me.

But there are also people out there who believe there are better prospects than Bryce Young & will choose him anyway. That's not drafting well imo. That's the kind of thinking that is hard for a team to overcome.
No the logic is even smaller framed guys can make it in the NFL. Where were you when I brought Darrell Green? He was only 5’9 and around 180ish. He played 20 years in that violent sport.

But hey we’re always going to go our own logic right.

I see Young having a career very much like Garcia's if he can stay healthy. Very good, but not exceptional, one things for sure Young will instantly upgrade the QB position. The question is, is he a good long term pick? My answer to that question is that the odds say. no he's not.
Is that what your crystal ball is showing? When don’t know how this young man’s NFL career would be like.

It's not so much about his height, but his frame. They're comparing skinny Garcia to Bryce Young & that's a good comparison, for those of us who are concerned about his durability.

The height is a different issue. A second strike against Bryce Young.

I did a quick Google search on body frames and to get the body frame measure it takes a wrist measurement. Granted it’s the internets.

I think this whole “body frame” discussion is a distraction from the keeping to straight height and weight.

Have you ever bought a picture frame with just three sides? Then why are we talking frame of Bryce Young and excluding the height? It doesn’t make sense.

No the logic is even smaller framed guys can make it in the NFL. Where were you when I brought Darrell Green? He was only 5’9 and around 180ish. He played 20 years in that violent sport.

Tell me Young can run like Green and I might agree with you, even though there's a big difference between playing CB and QB.

Is that what your crystal ball is showing? When don’t know how this young man’s NFL career would be like.

I see them as similar talent levels, both very smart and fast processors. Both can run with the ball but choose to stay in the pocket and throw the ball. They both run as a last resort. Both are smaller QB's although Garcia will probably be 2 1/2 in taller and 10/15 lbs heavier.

Guess what it’s not about who we want or don’t want. They’re going to do exactly wtf they want to do, whether we/you like it or not. Now what we/you can control is, whether we want to stop supporting them or not. Are we going to stop supporting them all because they drafted a player we didn’t want?

Guess what it’s not about who we want or don’t want. They’re going to do exactly wtf they want to do, whether we/you like it or not. Now what we/you can control is, whether we want to stop supporting them or not. Are we going to stop supporting them all because they drafted a player we didn’t want?
Thanks captain obvious.

I've already said I'll support whoever Ryans picks and hope I'm wrong. With his injury history I fully expect Young to be a Texan next yr.

Matt Stafford missed alot of games early in his career and he's neither a midget or unicorn. Andrew Luck isn't a small man either and had to retire because of injuries. Yet we see Jeff Garcia play 10 years in nfl and he was a slight man. Its the nfl where anyone can be taken out with 1 injury despite their size.

Yes, his first two seasons he missed several games due to injuries. He then proceeded to not miss a game for over 8 years, recording the 6th longest consecutive game stretch of any QB.

Andrew Luck on the other hand could never stay healthy. Even though he didn't miss many games outside of the 2015 and 2017 seasons, he was always playing banged up.

Interestingly enough, both were known for their aggressive play that put them in harms way.

If you're going to compare a CB to a QB... yeah, I think my logic is the one we should go with.

Nope, we just understand context better.

BTW, When did Green retire?
No you completely missed the context. Why because of your own agenda. Green has played against some of the toughest mutha jokers in NFL history. He’s played when the league was very dirty and nasty. And guess what, his slender frame made it through for 20 freaking years.
He’s has been hit or he’s hit someone more than these quarterbacks are getting hit.

So yeah y’all understand context better than everyone else.

I did a quick Google search on body frames and to get the body frame measure it takes a wrist measurement. Granted it’s the internets.

I think this whole “body frame” discussion is a distraction from the keeping to straight height and weight.

Have you ever bought a picture frame with just three sides? Then why are we talking frame of Bryce Young and excluding the height? It doesn’t make sense.
He's skinny. That's what we are referring to when we mention his frame. He could be Teddy Bridgewater's height & still be too skinny.

I'm just saying there are two arguments at the moment. When they brought in Garcia, it's about being skinny.

Garcia had 10 years in the league, but was only a reliable starting QB for three of those from 2000-2002. He was injured and missed games in 2003 with SF, 2004 with CLE, 2005 with DET and 2008 with TB. All scenarios where he was the starter at the time of his injuries.

I'm already on the "get Casteriodafuh otta here" train. So if he drafts Young at the top of the draft I'm going to be waiting for the "told you so" moment.

No you completely missed the context. Why because of your own agenda. Green has played against some of the toughest mutha jokers in NFL history. He’s played when the league was very dirty and nasty. And guess what, his slender frame made it through for 20 freaking years.
He’s has been hit or he’s hit someone more than these quarterbacks are getting hit.

There's a prototypical size for QB... usually something like 6'5" 230lbs.

There's a prototypical size for CB... usually something like 5'11" 190 lbs

There's a prototypical size for DL & LB... big guys. The QB is likely to be hit by multiple big guys several times a game.

a CB is likely to tackle a similar sized WR 4 or 5 times a game. It's apples & corn nuts.

I’m comparing the size. What no one is factoring the size of the heart.

Now you are comparing Bryce Young to Rudy…

Your first mistake was comparing players across two generations. It’s like comparing Brady to Montana. Then it’s two different positions. Ray Lewis vs Travis Kelce. Why? Makes no sense.

I am sure you will dismiss this by the regular naysayers and people who have an agenda.

There are just some really valid points on why not to draft Bryce Young. Learn to accept it.

I don't know why they restructured Cooks even at the time. I guess they were trying to get ahead of the wr market explosion. Tunsil, I can see because he was at worse top 5 at his position. Cooks may be top 25 if we're pushing it.
my 2 cents: calming the locker room and he was a friend of Easterby.

There's a prototypical size for QB... usually something like 6'5" 230lbs.

There's a prototypical size for CB... usually something like 5'11" 190 lbs

There's a prototypical size for DL & LB... big guys. The QB is likely to be hit by multiple big guys several times a game.

a CB is likely to tackle a similar sized WR 4 or 5 times a game. It's apples & corn nuts.
Not sure I agree that prototypical QB is 6'5 230 any longer.

Unicorns aren't real, midget QBs are. One you can't get, the other I don't want.

And midget QBs that have won a Super Bowl are unicorns. :thinking:

Apparently inches dont matter to some.

ThatsWhatSheSaid.jpg

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :shades:

I'll support the Texans regardless of who they pick, as always. That said, I might not have high expectations if they pick a tiny QB.

And midget QBs that have won a Super Bowl are unicorns. :thinking:

View attachment 11734

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :shades:

I'll support the Texans regardless of who they pick, as always. That said, I might not have high expectations if they pick a tiny QB.

He balled his butt off in the toughest conference in college football for two year’s straight. His rookie year he forced Sabans hand by ripping his defense apart. But big homie I said I wanted Stroud. My thing is people needs to stop popping on that youngster because he’s 6’ or a little shorter. We’ve seen quarterbacks around his height be successful in the NFL. We’ve seen smaller players last 20 years in that violent game. So why are we being so dismissive?

He balled his butt off in the toughest conference in college football for two year’s straight. His rookie year he forced Sabans hand by ripping his defense apart. But big homie I said I wanted Stroud. My thing is people needs to stop popping on that youngster because he’s 6’ or a little shorter. We’ve seen quarterbacks around his height be successful in the NFL. We’ve seen smaller players last 20 years in that violent game. So why are we being so dismissive?

Who are these under 6'0 QB's that have been successful?

Murray? I set the bar much higher than that.

QB's get hit harder and in more awkward positions than CB's ever will.

nitpick?

That was some objectively bad GMing. Has nothing to do with the upcoming draft, or the last draft, or signing/not signing FAs. It was stupid to restructure the first time. Dumber to do it a 2nd time. Of all the things Caserio had to worry about the last two years... two freak'n years... Cooks contract was not one of them.
It's not like he stepped into a favourable situation here.
Personally, I'm glad we got somebody reasonable that even wanted to come here.

does not give him a license to screw up the few good things we had. Like I said, no reason to mess with Cooks contract other than his Buddy wanting a solid for an ally.

that is a humongous red flag.

I was too, for a while. But that was when I thought he was in charge of something. Now I know he doesn’t hire the HC & he doesn’t select the players.

He manages the draft & roster at the behest of the HC.

does not give him a license to screw up the few good things we had. Like I said, no reason to mess with Cooks contract other than his Buddy wanting a solid for an ally.

I was too, for a while. But that was when I thought he was in charge of something. Now I know he doesn’t hire the HC & he doesn’t select the players.

Which Buddy are you talking about?
I thought he (Cooks) was still a Texans...

So HCs don't pick (some) players?
I can think of some that have.

And was able to set the franchise up for a better future with the Derrick trade and cleaning up the cap mess.

Some posters are unrealistic, that's why fan is short for the word fanatic.

He extended Cooks because of veteran leadership and he wanted to see how Mills would look with a quality WR.

He also makes trades and I know it hasn't been seen around here for over a decade when the HC/GM work towards a common goal.

He got burned by a quitter, lets get our pitchforks out.

Back