Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Nick Caserio - New GM

Can’t say as I didn’t start watching football till 2009/2010. But I’ve followed the league pretty closely since then and I’ve yet to see a roster as talentless as the one he inherited. Combined with no picks in the first two rounds of his first draft, the lack of any sort of cap space, and the off the field issues the franchise has had and I don’t think there’s a legitimate argument for this being typical.
We're talking about this year's team.

The 2006 team was much worse.
They had to replace practically the whole offensive line.

Kubiak was also saddled with Domanic Davis' contract (the starting RB) but he was injured and out for the season.

The team was in cap hell.

Its funny how you'll pull out every excuse in the book trying to defend the Smithiak years..(They were in the same division with Peyton Manning!!:choke:) & yet are so very critical of NC for every little move that you don't agree with & as such that means he's done "a poor job". Lol.

Dom Capers & Casserly managed to win 7 games in their 3rd year with an expansion team roster....& that speaks to 2 things. 1, the talent on that roster wasn't as depleted as you'd like to lead people to believe when Kubiak took over. Certainly not as depleted as it is now. In fact, That draft class with Meco, Spencer, Mario, Winston & Owen Daniels....with a young stud in Dunta, was a solid core to start out with.........Oh yeah, can't forget the MONSTER AJ...who was better than any player currently on the Texans roster...Yeah, Kubiak walked in the door and had all that & a few other key vets like McKinney, Walter and Payne on his roster 1st year. All that being said, they still only managed 1 win better than Capers' best season for the next 3 damn years................... after starting out with a 6-10 record. Eventually they'd "break through" with the slightly above mediocrity of 9-7 lol. So count those drafts up.....That's 4 full drafts that they had before they got on the cusp of doing anything....& that's with them never dealing with anything remotely close to the DW4 fiasco........or the salary cap armagedon & contracts BoB left us with either. So tell me again how poor of a job NC has done b/c he's already had 2 full drafts..

The current Texans "remain in the pit" b/c it is in fact an atypical rebuild..... & you'd see that if you weren't so busy trying to romanticize the Smithiak years.
2-14

Kubiak was also saddled with Domanic Davis' contract (the starting RB) but he was injured and out for the season.

OK, if you say so.

They did draft Eric Winston and Spencer. They added Meyers in a trade and had Pitts as the starting LG. They had a foundation to work with. Just like the Texans currently have.

Guess you haven't heard about those Cunningham/Mercilus contracts?

Last edited:
Casserly remained GM thru the draft. The Broncos did not want to release Rick Smith at that point because he was privy to Denver's draft plans. After the draft, Casserly was let go and Smith became GM of the Texans.
We all knew that.
People were not confident in Casserly is what I meant.

It was a blessing in disguise that Carr was extended by McNair.
Otherwise who knows if Casserly hadn't talked McNair into taking VY? :brando:

OK, if you say so.

They did draft Eric Winston and Spencer. They added Meyers in a trade and had Pitts as the starting LG. They had a foundation to work with. Just like the Texans currently have.

Guess you haven't heard abour thos Cunningham/Mercilus contracts?
They had six wins.

The Carr pick was a Bob McNair pick NOT a Casserly pick. Casserly still has the Texan's best draft, 2006, and with an exception of the 2002 draft, Casserly drafted a pro bowler in each of his drafts.
It's not that hard when you had the third pick, then the 10th pick + a miss on Babin, then a miss on Travis Johson.
Mario Williams was a no brainer.

I never thought of Casserly or Rick Smith as bad; just mediocre.

Im not gonna argue about 2006 because I just wasn’t paying attention then. But I’m finding it very hard to believe that team was in as bad a spot than we were in the 2021 offseason.

You think what you want but in my mind it’s too early to make a judgement given the circumstances

Im not gonna argue about 2006 because I just wasn’t paying attention then. But I’m finding it very hard to believe that team was in as bad a spot than we were in the 2021 offseason.

You think what you want but in my mind it’s too early to make a judgement given the circumstances
You think a team with Carr at QB, no RB (and no money, nor draft pick to get one because Davis was put on IR in TC) and basically a whole new offensive line that had to learn the Zone Blocking Scheme and the WCO is in a better state than this one?

If it is then Nick Caserio is much worse than I thought.

At the time tho his vision was criticized a bit….mostly b/c noone knew what kind of owner he’d be…flames fanned by you guessed it, the local sports media yahoos who tried to extrapolate how he’d handled his other businesses & controversy surrounding his other businesses. Remember too he caught hell with fans b/c MLB made him becoming the new owner somewhat contingent on his agreement to move the Stros to the American league…which fans didnt want. I also remember grumblings about how he was gonna be cheaper than Drayton was b/c his finances were in question.

point is, unless it’s something fans wholeheartedly agree with, they typically frown upon it.

I completely understand the attitude around Jim Crane when he first bought the team. I was a doubter, mainly because I was already familiar with him in my industry. I won't elaborate, but I did not expect much based on his history. Obviously I'm glad my suspicions were wrong.

However, the the fundamental difference is that Crane was an unknown, while we are very familiar with how the McNair family runs their franchise. Asking a fanbase to give the McNairs the same benefit of the doubt when we clearly see their history of incompetence, meddling, and hiring qualifications is beyond anything similar to the public doubts surrounding a new owner. We've got decades of history with the McNairs.

Do y'all truly expect this franchise to win a SB with the McNairs? I don't.

You think a team with Carr at QB, no RB (and no money, nor draft pick to get one because Davis was put on IR in TC) and basically a whole new offensive line that had to learn the Zone Blocking Scheme and the WCO is in a better state than this one?

As I've already stated they had a foundation to work with on the OL, just like the Texans of today do. Today's Texans have a better RB situation because Caserio made a great pick when he drafted Pierce. Carr was worse than Mills? Not according to a large faction on this MB. Probably yourself after seeing some of your posts about Mills play. Guess you forgot about your own posts. LMAO

Defense was 32nd in points allowed and 31st in Yards allowed.

Offense was 26th In points scored and 30th in yards gained.

Then losing the starting RB in TC, and dealing with a whole new offensive line running a whole new zone blocking scheme and learning a whole new offense (the West Coast Offense).

And you think this situation is worse?

As I've already stated they had a foundation to work with on the OL, just like the Texans of today do. Today's Texans have a better RB situation because Caserio made a great pick when he drafted Pierce. Carr was worse than Mills? Not according to a large faction on this MB. Probably yourself after seeing some of your posts about Mills play. Guess you forgot about your own posts. LMAO
See my previous post.

And they had six wins.

I completely understand the attitude around Jim Crane when he first bought the team. I was a doubter, mainly because I was already familiar with him in my industry. I won't elaborate, but I did not expect much based on his history. Obviously I'm glad my suspicions were wrong.

However, the the fundamental difference is that Crane was an unknown, while we are very familiar with how the McNair family runs their franchise. Asking a fanbase to give the McNairs the same benefit of the doubt when we clearly see their history of incompetence, meddling, and hiring qualifications is beyond anything similar to the public doubts surrounding a new owner. We've got decades of history with the McNairs.

I've been saying this since 2010 and got castigated for it back then. Now most see the light. I'm waiting to see what Cal does with the next HC search and in the next couple of yrs after the team has added talent and just needs a player of two to put them into playoff contender status, will Janice/Cal spend the money to add an impact FA or 2? History says they wont.

lol, DB you’re a naturally skeptical person like i am….but i tend to give people the benefit of the doubt 1st until i have good reason not to trust…..& that has to be based on fact….things i know for fact that they did/said. So in my mind, the only strike the Mcnairs and Cal in particular has on him is allowing BoB to highjack the franchise…everytging we’re going thru now could’ve been minimized if that dude was relieved of his duties just 1 year before he actually was fired.

but even with that, he was somewhat new to being the shotcaller.

Otherwise who knows if Casserly hadn't talked McNair into taking VY? :brando:
Casserly convinced Kubiak that Mario Williams should be the #1 pick of the draft. He was against taking both Reggie Bush and Vince Young #1 overall.

Here's another interesting bit of trivia regarding Casserly. During the 2001 preseason, Casserly spent his time scouting for potential players for the expansion draft and possible free agents. He became enamored with the Patriots young backup QB, Tom Brady. Casserly planned to offer the Patriots the Texans 2nd round pick for Brady in the team's inaugural draft in 2002. As we know, the Patriots starting QB Drew Bledoe was injured early in the 2001 season and Brady took over. Eventually leading New England to their first of six Super Bowl championships. And of course, no trade of Tom Brady to the Texans.

Casserly convinced Kubiak that Mario Williams should be the #1 pick of the draft. He was against taking both Reggie Bush and Vince Young #1 overall.

Here's another interesting bit of trivia regarding Casserly. During the 2001 preseason, Casserly spent his time scouting for potential players for the expansion draft and possible free agents. He became enamored with the Patriots young backup QB, Tom Brady. Casserly planned to offer the Patriots the Texans 2nd round pick for Brady in the team's inaugural draft in 2002. As we know, the Patriots starting QB Drew Bledoe was injured early in the 2001 season and Brady took over. Eventually leading New England to their first of six Super Bowl championships. And of course, no trade of Tom Brady to the Texans.
No way Belichick would trade the SB MVP.

Brady was already very good that year.

The Texans Caserio inherited had off the field issues out the ass, a roster with maybe 7-8 starting caliber players on it and a lack of draft picks and cap space to address that issue. I really don’t think there’s a GM alive who would have this turned around already. If you disagree that’s fine but personally I think you’re being completely ridiculous

The Texans Caserio inherited had off the field issues out the ass, a roster with maybe 7-8 starting caliber players on it and a lack of draft picks and cap space to address that issue. I really don’t think there’s a GM alive who would have this turned around already. If you disagree that’s fine but personally I think you’re being completely ridiculous
This is his second year.
He had more draft picks than Kubiak did.
Not to mention, Kubiak lost his starting LT (Spencer) in the second game.
And more cap space.
And Kubiak had six wins.
Is that too much too ask?

Oh, and one of the wins was over the eventual SB winner.

Last edited:
Casserly was interviewed by WEEI in Boston on a regular basis during the 2001 season. I was living in Metro Boston at time and heard Casserly tell the story during the Patriots playoff run.
Well, Brady was already good during the season.

This is his second year.
He had more draft picks than Kubiak did.
Not to mention, Kubiak lost his starting LT (Spencer) in the second game.
And more cap space.
And Kubiak had six wins.
Is that too much too ask?

Oh, and one of the wins was over the eventual SB winner.
I don’t really feel like going over the things I’ve already said so read above (again) if you want my thoughts. We are 9 games into a rebuild and I think it’s way too early to be making judgements.

Personally I’m just curious how you would have gone about a rebuild with 2 third round draft picks, a few day 3 picks, no cap space, and an organization no one wanted to touch with a 10 foot pole.

It's not that hard when you had the third pick, then the 10th pick + a miss on Babin, then a miss on Travis Johson.
Mario Williams was a no brainer.

I never thought of Casserly or Rick Smith as bad; just mediocre.
Casserly had a couple of misses. Even the best GMs do. Some of that can be attributed to just bad drafts. While Mario was a no-brainer Casserly gets a lot of credit in my book for not picking Bush. IMO Casserly still remains the best GM in Texans history.

I don’t really feel like going over the things I’ve already said so read above (again) if you want my thoughts. We are 9 games into a rebuild and I think it’s way too early to be making judgements.

Personally I’m just curious how you would have gone about a rebuild with 2 third round draft picks, a few day 3 picks, no cap space, and an organization no one wanted to touch with a 10 foot pole.
I was not talking about last year.
I'm talking about this year.

Casserly was interviewed by WEEI in Boston on a regular basis during the 2001 season. I was living in Metro Boston at time and heard Casserly tell the story during the Patriots playoff run.
Maybe Casserly was selling himself a bit there.

I mean all 32 teams had passed on Brady.

He came to the Pats and sat on the bench for a year.

And Casserly had thoughts of trying to trade for him with a high second round pick?

I find that a bit hard to believe.

2006 we had two wins at this point in the season, this year we’re a half win behind that. And again this was still a worse situation
So you're telling me the Texans are going to win another 5 games?

And how is it worse.
Last year team went 4-13

Kubiak inherited a 2-14 team.

Kubiak had very little cap space (I had detailed most of it in long thread a couple years ago when I debated with @steelbtexan that Kubiak is a better HC than O'Brien).

Kubiak/Casserly had an extra third.

Nick Caserio had an extra first and an extra second.
(Scratch out Mechie).

But Kubiak lost a starting LT that he drafted, who was looking like a very good LT.
And he lost the starting RB before the season started.

How is this team in a worse situation than Kubiak's first team?

Kubiak made that team works.

The AFC South was much stronger back then than now, with the Colts taking home the Lombardi trophy and the other two teams both finished 8-8.

I'm just repeating what I heard from Casserly in January of 2002. He had a job (GM of a fledgling franchise. Brady had not yet won a Super Bowl. He also said the Texans had hoped Michael Vick would have come out as a junior rather than as a RS sophomore.

You can believe what you want.
I would have believed it if Casserly had gone out and say it when he was first hired in Jan 2000, or some time shortly after that.

And how is it worse.
Last year team went 4-13

Kubiak had very little cap space (I had detailed most of it in long thread a couple years ago when I debated with @steelbtexan that Kubiak is a better HC than O'Brien).

(Scratch out Mechie).

But Kubiak lost a starting LT that he drafted, who was looking like a very good LT.

The AFC South was much stronger back then than now, with the Colts taking home the Lombardi trophy and the other two teams both finished 8-8.

I didn’t say that and you’re still discounting all of the off the field issues we’ve had to navigate here. Anyways I don’t think we’re going to agree and this conversation is boring

I didn’t say that and you’re still discounting all of the off the field issues we’ve had to navigate here. Anyways I don’t think we’re going to agree and this conversation is boring
The off the field issues only happened a day or two before the trading deadline.

This team already looked bad before that.

The Watson situation was no more.

Casserly had a couple of misses. Even the best GMs do. Some of that can be attributed to just bad drafts. While Mario was a no-brainer Casserly gets a lot of credit in my book for not picking Bush. IMO Casserly still remains the best GM in Texans history.
I'm not so sure Casserly was the best GM.

We can go through his drafts here:

And continue on from there.

I saw a lot of bad picks at the slots they were drafted.

I’m not sure why one would mention inside information other than to get a big pay day. Guess that turned into Texans GM gig
:koolaid:

Downright scary what some try to pull off. Are people really that ignorant?

You wont get him to tell you what he would've done differently.

And how is it worse.
Last year team went 4-13

(Scratch out Mechie).

Who cares, if they aren't playoff contenders I want them to lose as many games as possible, the higher the draft picks the better. You need to let your Kubiak fetish go.

Part 1 of the rebuild:
Texans started 2021 season with 54 contracts and $6MM OVER the cap.

If the Texans had made the following moves they would've been $48MM UNDER the cap. They would not of had to resort to mortgaging the future to the tune of OVER $35MM in contract restructuring, $37MM in Dead Cap in 2021 and would've added a 2nd rd draft pick.
B. McKinneyRelease$7.00m
D. JohnsonRelease$6.90m
Z. FultonRelease$3.00m
Du. JohnsonRelease$5.15m
B. DunnRelease$3.25m
B. CooksTrade$12.00m
J. WattRelease$17.50m
Total Saved$54.80m
Part II of the rebuild:

2021 Draft
#67 - Quinn Meinerz OC
#109 - Bobby Brown III DL