Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Nick Caserio - New GM

I'm beginning to think that the McNairs believe they are better and smarter than everyone else. Janice may be the one that thinks having Easterby around is a good idea and has told Cal he needs to listen to him. One thing we know, the McNairs do like to meddle.

If so then they’d fit in well around here with all the know-it-all’s.

Cal McNair is clearly taking the easy route of going off a template instead of having the balls to go his own way and picking someone that has helped build a winner WITHOUT the greatest QB of all time.

I’m fuming because I really thought Cal had learned his lesson and realized that trying Patriotize the Texans was a foolish endeavor. If anyone can create a deep fake video of McNair saying racist things or having sex with a goat I’ll pay for it if it means the removal of this bumbling incompetent fool.

And by go his own way what you really mean is pick someone you approve of because all signs point to this is Cal going his own way seeing as he wanted Caserio a year ago and has stuck by that. Also hate to break it to you but as of right now you can make a case that Belichick isn't a very good HC without Brady but it would kind of be a silly case to make.

And by go his own way what you really mean is pick someone you approve of because all signs point to this is Cal going his own way seeing as he wanted Caserio a year ago and has stuck by that. Also hate to break it to you but as of right now you can make a case that Belichick isn't a very good HC without Brady but it would kind of be a silly case to make.
Wrong. I don’t need someone I approve of. I was hoping for someone that was not part of the patriots. We’ve tried that and let’s just say it didn’t quite work out. If McNair wanted caserio all along then the search committee was an idiotic smokescreen. I hope caserio is a good gm, hard to be worse than fat Travolta but it’s going to take an excellent GM to dig out of the schithole fat Travolta left this team in. I simply don’t see what caserio has done to be considered a top notch GM.

I’ll take as I find as always with these hires, but I don’t like the old boys club way this looks. Caserio made a lot more sense when OB was HC.

At this point, with a roster that needs to be blown up and rebuilt, you may as well rebuild it in a different image.

It worries me that these are all EP-Patriots tree coaches that have done a horrendous job with these player, that they are either going to be allowed to continue in their roles or be replaced by the same philosophy.

Still, onwards and upwards, he’s been at the top of the front office of the most successful dynasty in NFL history so that’s got to be worth something.

What have the patriots done in the drafts that has been so outstanding? The formula to the pats success is Brady+Belichek and a bunch of so so players. Why Haven’t the McNairs learned this lesson? Good god if they pick josh McDaniels as HC I’m going to hire Jeff gillooly to come out retirement and smack McNair, caserio and McDaniels!!
Well for one they often trade down selecting more players to select from than many teams. Their depth has allowed them to do that. The last 2-3 years has seen that slow as vets leave.

For a couple of years the Patriots drafted great - and they always end up with a ton of picks.

Caserio could be great for us - the Patriots rarely overpaid anybody and they took chances with players with a questionable character.

Now I just hope we do t go chasing ex NE coaches. I would like a young creative and charismatic guy - maybe Joe Brady...

Trying to catch up but only got to page two; as usual MB split on this guy or that is great and the others saying he is sewer fodder. lol! Not that long ago that most- not all but most were good with Casserio being the GM until the tampering thing and many also was ok with Easterby. A year goes by and stuff gets thrown around as if it were tru and not conjecture or personal feelings.

For what it is worth. last night on 610 McClain was on a minute and told the guy he was attacking him but he like most were 100% mistaken about E's role here. JM insisted "E has NO AUTHORITY & never has had. He made/makes no decisions but only offers his opinion. Bob McNair like Nick and was one who tried to bring him over for longer than we know." JM insists CAL is in charge and will make decision. I got impression JM thinks the people bringing suggestions to CAL including the group that suggested OBrien were just for PR consumption. McNairs wanted Caserrio & got him. Easterby was just to entice C.

JM was asked about Josh McGowen & he said maybe and also same to Dabol. *After JM went off the announcer said "Well that's the General's opinion but I don't know.."

I'm beginning to think that the McNairs believe they are better and smarter than everyone else. Janice may be the one that thinks having Easterby around is a good idea and has told Cal he needs to listen to him. One thing we know, the McNairs do like to meddle.

True

Maybe they're all having a talking in tongues religious experience.

Well for one they often trade down selecting more players to select from than many teams. Their depth has allowed them to do that. The last 2-3 years has seen that slow as vets leave.
Yes I like trading down for additional picks if you feel the players you want are still available later but what have they picked, who has Caserio picked or dealt for that makes him an excellent GM choice. I mean it doesn’t matter now, he’s the pick and that’s that. I hope he doesn’t continue the nepotism by hiring josh McDaniels as HC. At this point it wouldn’t surprise me if Tim Kelly stays either.

Ok this "Trying to be the Patriots" thing gets thrown around a lot in this place but in reality who or what have the Texans hired that shows they are trying to be the Patriots? Sure OB was on the Pats but he's the only one and by that line of thinking every team that hires a coordinator as their HC is trying to be just like X team. Then there is RAC but looking at the history of posts particularly about 3 years ago it was all about how we have a top defense but OB and his offense are letting them down so no one had issue with RAC being from the Pats. Rick Smith didn't work for the Patriots, Brian Gaine didn't work for the Patriots, Easterby did yes but he was brought in recently, long after this Patriots south thing started, and all the people willing to go on record say he has no power is is making no decisions. Only ones saying otherwise are quoting unnamed sources and rumors.

So what actual evidence of the Texans ever trying to be the Patriots is there because all I can see is they hired a first time HC that got his break in the NFL on the Patriots and a DC that has had experience all over the league but had his greatest success on the Pats.

I am more interested in that Brandon Beane fellow. He sounds smart. Someone should make a movie about him.

Seriously though - it appears that analytics thing can work in FA to find real value. Bills are enjoying success with it.
Are they really enjoying success? Bounced out of the first round last year, we have no clue how they will fare this year. I will pause the excitement for now. All signs are pointing up though.

I like the Caserio hire. I liked it 2 years ago when we started sniffing around, liked it when we got popped for tampering, and I like it now. As far as the McNairs, they probably wanted him from the get-go, but also wanted a plan B in case someone else got him or if he declined so they hired the search firm. Time to cut them loose and let our shiny new GM get to work.
I'm now leaning toward Brady, but there's 3 or 4 others I'd be good with as well. He's interviewing with the Panthers today (I think) and if he say all the right things, they could make him an offer and he'd be off the table.
That may not be who he's looking at so who knows, but we better have a contract and pen in hand when he finds the right one and nail him down before he moves on to another team. I'm sure Caserio has his own short list so let's get this done sooner than later and get to work on turning this team around.
I'm almost more interested in who we bring in as cordinators and position coaches.
Keep Romeo in our back pocket, he could be a valuable asset if we hire a young HC to be another set of eyes on the sidelines.
Not worried about Eaterby, he'll either be gone or go back to doing what he was hired for.

Anyone, maybe Astros fans, bothered that Caserio was "acting GM" throughout all the Patriots' cheating scandals, including last year's illegal videotaping vs the Bengals? And Easterby was around for some of it. Doesn't bode well to me.

Rick Smith was supposedly very religious and selected Watson. Watson proclaimed Easterby a positive force, a "man of God," and Watson and Hopkins liked to yell "glory, hallelujah" in meetings. These are team leaders setting an example of exclusivity. So if Caserio leads similarly, then it seems more like McNair's 1st priority is a specific, judging culture, winning 2nd. How DID Arian Foster, an atheist, fit in? Maybe cos I'm wrong, or maybe cos the evangelism hadn't yet crept in as much.

I think it's the former..

Every lockeroom/barracks I've been in has a sector of religious folks who yes.. gasp even openly pray together. Then you have non believers and every other belief in between. It's like every single other area in life. People got along fine.. It's called tolerance and respect of others, hopefully we haven't lost that yet.

I'm always open to situations. Cesario will hire the coach and help put together the staff. I'm hopeful they overhaul the college scouting and pro personel. I wouldn't even be opposed to Brady or any other 1st time coach as long as the staff is strong. The oline and dline coaches are very, very important.

I'm always open to situations. Cesario will hire the coach and help put together the staff. I'm hopeful they overhaul the college scouting and pro personel. I wouldn't even be opposed to Brady or any other 1st time coach as long as the staff is strong. The oline and dline coaches are very, very important.

Job #1 is overhauling the pro personnel/Scouting depts. They need to see if it was failure to draft talent or BOB's staff not being able to draft talent.

I'm scared of Brady because being a young guy I wonder what kind of staff he can put together. Marrone would be my 1st call as OL coach.

1st tier for me:
Saleh
Lewis
Brady

Would be ecstatic with any 1 of these 3..

2nd tier:

McDaniels
Bienemy
Ebeflus

Wouldn’t mind these 2, but would prefer other candidates.

3rd Tier

Daboll
Roman
Schottenheimer

These are clear no-go’s for me. Would be open and hoping for success, Just not impressed with the hire.

If Bienemy is smart he will take the Falcons or Jets job.
Do you think he's the #1 candidate out there? That it's his choice where he wants to go?

I'm thinking the main reason he hasn't gotten a HC gig yet is because nobody wants to wait until the middle of February to hire their coach. Not when Saleh & Brady can be had now... Smith or Williams next week.

I'm glad Cal talked to other GM candidates, he might have learned something from them if he listened to them. However the Caserio hire was a forgone conclusion since the tampering charge and Easterby not being let go when BOB was fired or after the season told us that Easterby is running the franchise and that Caserio was his guy. I also dont have a problem with a McDaniel hire as HC. I think he could be good for DW4.

So if "Easterby is running the franchise" (according to your own words), wouldn't that make the SI "hit piece" true about Easterby's ambitions?

I'm obviously not going to change your mind.

Are you really so stubborn that you cannot admit you're wrong in the face of facts?

"Even though the Broncos are mired in their worst stretch since 1971-72, the timing of McDaniels' firing caught everyone off guard.

After winning his first six games his rookie season, McDaniels lost 17 of his last 22 with the Broncos in his first NFL head coaching job."
- ESPN

I’m beginning to think the McNairs are clueless about making good football decisions and they don’t care that the fan base knows how inept they are. The fans will still show up and still watch on tv. They are correct. I won’t pay to attend a game but I’ll watch This predictable sitcom on tv Every Sunday.

I have never thought the McNairs knew a dern thing about football operations. They are most excellent at marketing and running an entertainment corporation, tho'.

As far as Caserio, I don't have the qualifications or knowledge to make a case for or against him as GM. Who knows? Hope for the best as a fan.

I will say, however, that two things come to mind: Belichick did not want to lose him, and, I'm glad that Cal stuck to his word that he'd hire a GM first to help with the HC search.

I'm hoping this is the start of a new power structure on Kirby. More of a traditional model than the boardroom collective they've used for two decades. At least it appears that it might be changing from the outside looking in.

Job #1 is overhauling the pro personnel/Scouting depts. They need to see if it was failure to draft talent or BOB's staff not being able to draft talent.

I'm scared of Brady because being a young guy I wonder what kind of staff he can put together. Marrone would be my 1st call as OL coach.
That's where the gm comes in. Brady combined with Marrone along with Jim Caldwell as OC could work right?

Chronicle reporting Watson tweeted "some things never change" in response to new GM.

I'm not a fan of the cryptic message thing. Be a man and say what you mean. This just reeks of attention seeking. Social media is full of this stuff. Blech.

Whatever he's referring to, the cloudiness is a bad look for a 'leader of men'. It's a little disappointing, but I'm just a lowly fan so whatever.

i read something about a heisman trophy. i dont know the dude has a life without poeple decoding his every move
Aw come on..a franchise Qb in the NFl will always have every moment and comment picked apart. You know this? Yahoo is now reporting same thing saying #4 may have been tweeting about Georgia but doubted as it fell in the flow of Texans hiring Caserio. Dashaun has made it clear he wanted Bill gone and Caserio appears to be the same old thing.

Brady under $25 m GTD contract. No trade.
I know, but since we are hell bent on xeroxing the Patriots so poorly......I had to make the joke like the tootsie pop commercial with Mr Owl.

We will wait 6 years then pull Brady out of retirement to complete the faded, barely legible copy.

I'm not clear on why so many think the search committee was smoke and mirrors, or a smokescreen.

Cal was sold on Caserio as GM a year ago. Cal hires Korn Ferry to provide him a list of names and attempt to convince him he can do better than Caserio. After several interviews.....Caserio remained Cal's favorite, and was hired.
Seems pretty straightforward to me.

I'm not clear on why so many think the search committee was smoke and mirrors, or a smokescreen.

Cal was sold on Caserio as GM a year ago. Cal hires Korn Ferry to provide him a list of names and attempt to convince him he can do better than Caserio. After several interviews.....Caserio remained Cal's favorite, and was hired.
Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Reminds me of those various "Change my mind" videos on Youtube. Never see anyone actually change their mind but that doesn't mean they don't listen and consider other view points.

Are they really enjoying success? Bounced out of the first round last year, we have no clue how they will fare this year. I will pause the excitement for now. All signs are pointing up though.

You answered your own question. Yes. They are enjoying success. They are in the playoffs, won their division, and have a first round bye.

Back