Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

I'm not sure Slowik leaves this year. Most of the attractive landing spot have been filled. NE promoted from within like they do, Dallas is showing us the definition of insanity like they do, Carolina is a dumpster fire that I don't think is going to attract any of the hot up and coming coaches like Slowik. signs point to BB going to Falcons. So you've got left Commanders, Seahawks, Raiders, Chargers and Titans. Of those I don't see him wanting to coach in the same division as DeMeco and CJ so Titans are most likely out. Commanders might be a good landing spot with number 2 over all but they have a new owner that no one knows if they will be hands on or just there to sign the checks. Chargers have some upside but they are kind of in limbo plus you share a market with the Rams and finally Raiders have a good market and a decent team but they've not been able to get over the hump and don't have the pieces or draft capital to do so next year.

No I think Caserio and the Texans will throw a nice bonus Slowik's way, getting bigger the deeper we go, and tell him to pick what players he wants and they will work to bring them here.

Shoot, before San Diego Chargers became LA Chargers, I would've said you're crazy and that that would be a dream for most. However, LA has some very fickle fans, a second football team there or not. Taxes are extremely outrageous as well.

Can someone calculate the trade value points now that the picks are settled? I remember some treating the value differently when the trade was made. EX: Some said “Should be rated a 2nd on the trade value chart because it’s a future 1st.”

Others said “The file clerk blew it and should be weighted as a top 10 pick because it’s going to be top 3 next season”
Lucky did it a while back to get close

With the regular season over, we can pretty much put to bed the cost for moving up for Will Anderson. First, last year's draft points:

To Cardinals
2023 1.12 = 1200 points
2023 2.33 = 580 points

To Texans
2023 1.3 = 2200 points
2023 4.105 - 84 points

This year's draft points:

To Cardinals
2024 1.21 = 800
2024 3.86 = 160 points

But you also need to consider the cost differential between a 2023 pick vs a 2024 pick. Go back to the 2017 draft, where the Texans moved up 13 spots in the first round from 1.25 to 1.12. That was a difference of 1200 - 720 = 480 points. The Texans paid that point difference with a 1st round pick from the following year. So a future 1st is worth like a high to mid 2nd round pick in the current draft.

Same with the future 3rd pick. It's value is about the same as the 2023 4th round pick the Texans received from the Cardinals. In fact, the Texans traded that 2023 4th round pick to the Eagles for a 2024 3rd round pick. Therefore, the point differential between what the Texans received in 2023 and gave up in 2024 cancels out.

So what's the verdict?

Texans receive = 2023 1.3 (2200) for 2023 1.12 (1200) + 2023 2.33 (580) + 2024 1.21ish (480) = 2260 total points. A difference of 60 points to the Cardinals. Not much of a point differential, and a trade I would hope the Texnas would make again.
But now 2024 is
1.27=680
3.90=140
2024=820
But if you figure one round less for the next year,
2024= 310+45 and Philly trade is worth 160

Shoot, before San Diego Chargers became LA Chargers, I would've said you're crazy and that that would be a dream for most. However, LA has some very fickle fans, a second football team there or not. Taxes are extremely outrageous as well.

Yeah LA is not really a football town, their teams are the Lakers and Dodgers. They built that brand new, state of the art stadium and most games can't fill it.

Are they even truly Lakers/Dodgers fans though?? Would they still be interested if those two teams started not being so dang good?

You have that with every team, we got all kinds of new people joining once CJ started steamrolling teams and especially once we beat the Browns. I'm sure you guys have got a sudden influx of fans with Lamar finally going to the championship game.

Well just shows how much people hate you. :shades: :kitten:

Or how small market and how media is able to skew perception of how good we actually are. IF the Cowboys for example was playing to this level, they'd be absolutely all over us

BUT will say this. We have always and forever been better when we were doubted by media. Always. In 2019 when we were hyped up, we choked.

Yes we are favorites in this next game, but media still doubts us and calls Lamar a RB

Or how small market and how media is able to skew perception of how good we actually are. IF the Cowboys for example was playing to this level, they'd be absolutely all over us

BUT will say this. We have always and forever been better when we were doubted by media. Always. In 2019 when we were hyped up, we choked.

Yes we are favorites in this next game, but media still doubts us and calls Lamar a RB

Houston is the same way.

Treated like an after thought. Red headed step child.

I wouldn’t call y’all the favorites. Y’all are the better team against the media and fan favorites - The Chiefs.

Which is why after we lost we still root for you. Because if we had your exact team in Houston going up against KC it would be the same thing.

Beat the snot out of Mahomes. Hit Kelce hard enough to make the Swifties cry.

Houston is the same way.

Treated like an after thought. Red headed step child.

I wouldn’t call y’all the favorites. Y’all are the better team against the media and fan favorites - The Chiefs.

Which is why after we lost we still root for you. Because if we had your exact team in Houston going up against KC it would be the same thing.

Beat the snot out of Mahomes. Hit Kelce hard enough to make the Swifties cry.

Why do you think I flock here as well?? Because you guys are an afterthought and even if you went 15-2 media wouldn't favor you

Considering how deep this draft is - Especially at tackle, I don't think I'd be too surprised if he's there at 23.
well, we have another disagreement. lol Please identify this deep offensive tackle draft. Again not talking about players who might start season two, but 2024 day one's.

Why do you think I flock here as well?? Because you guys are an afterthought and even if you went 15-2 media wouldn't favor you

giphy.gif

It seems like it is fashionable to rag on or ignore Houston - even in other sports.
That doesn't stop northerners flocking here to escape the frigid north.

Man it's different though. I didn't just stumble upon you guys when we were playing some team named the Houston Texans. I came here because I was already interested in your franchise as a former fan of Arian Foster, JJ Watt, Demeco Ryans, Jacoby Jones and hells bells even Kevin Walter

Dang and I even left off Andre Johnson lol

Man it's different though. I didn't just stumble upon you guys when we were playing some team named the Houston Texans. I came here because I was already interested in your franchise as a former fan of Arian Foster, JJ Watt, Demeco Ryans, Jacoby Jones and hells bells even Kevin Walter

Sacriledge!
Instant bannination!

Same reason people watch Rocky every year. Texans are just that lovable.

They weren’t tuning in to watch the Ravens that’s for sure.

Hahaha.... Absolutely. They all wanted to see the absolute gem that CJ Stroud put up with his multiple TDs and the many sacks Willie Anderson Jr had

One fan favorite Texan that went to Baltimore was Fullback Vonta Leach. Dude was like a mack truck making holes in the line for the RBs. He helped Arian Foster break out, and then went to Baltimore to block for Ray Rice and win a Super Bowl. Everyone here loved Leach, he was one of the last true fullbacks in the NFL.

Hahaha.... Absolutely. They all wanted to see the absolute gem that CJ Stroud put up with his multiple TDs and the many sacks Willie Anderson Jr had

I am telling you if CJ Stroud started a church it would be bigger than Joel Olsteen’s.

If he ran for President the people would demand his face on Mt Rushmore.

But hey - Lamar can run so you got that going for you. I mean that’s cool.

One fan favorite Texan that went to Baltimore was Fullback Vonta Leach. Dude was like a mack truck making holes in the line for the RBs. He helped Arian Foster break out, and then went to Baltimore to block for Ray Rice and win a Super Bowl. Everyone here loved Leach, he was one of the last true fullbacks in the NFL.

YES- Vonta is another fave

well, we have another disagreement. lol Please identify this deep offensive tackle draft. Again not talking about players who might start season two, but 2024 day one's.
These are just some I personally like although asking for players in a draft deemed deep and then only asking for day ones is a bit of an oxymoron thing to do. But here's some I've watched and liked:
Taliese Fuaga
Joe Alt
Olu Fashanu
Troy Fautanu
Javon Foster
JC Latham
Amarius Mims

And that's just on early looks. I usually find tackles show themselves later in the process so that's a really good early batch.

Some might end up being considered guards which will likely have more to do with what their arm measurements come in as. Which is also a thing I personally think teams over-consider - like the Titans not trying Skoronski at tackle for example.

That said and it's not the be all end all because it's early in the prognostication period but just look at the mock drafts by sources you trust. You'll see a lot of tackles.

Overall I think this draft is very deep at QB, WR, OT, and CB by initial looks. Hopefully we can take advantage of the WR and CB depth.

These are just some I personally like although asking for players in a draft deemed deep and then only asking for day ones is a bit of an oxymoron thing to do. But here's some I've watched and liked:
Taliese Fuaga
Joe Alt
Olu Fashanu
Troy Fautanu
Javon Foster
JC Latham
Amarius Mims

And that's just on early looks. I usually find tackles show themselves later in the process so that's a really good early batch.

Some might end up being considered guards which will likely have more to do with what their arm measurements come in as. Which is also a thing I personally think teams over-consider - like the Titans not trying Skoronski at tackle for example.

That said and it's not the be all end all because it's early in the prognostication period but just look at the mock drafts by sources you trust. You'll see a lot of tackles.

Overall I think this draft is very deep at QB, WR, OT, and CB by initial looks. Hopefully we can take advantage of the WR and CB depth.
I agree with you on those positions being deep with the exception of offensive tackles. Of those you listed I believe most of those except for Mims and Foster will be gone by 1.23. Just depends on how it falls and that'd part of fun in draft discussion. Any opinion on LT Jordan Morgan?

I agree with you on those positions being deep with the exception of offensive tackles. Of those you listed I believe most of those except for Mims and Foster will be gone by 1.23. Just depends on how it falls and that'd part of fun in draft discussion. Any opinion on LT Jordan Morgan?
I like Morgan a lot.

If Mims falls I would be jumping for joy if he was the pick at 1-23. If not Paul or the Washington OT would be my pick. If they went another direction in rd one say Latu-, then I would look at drafting McConkey in rd 2 and trading up to get Foster in the bottom of rd 2.

Don't know where I would find a RB but I would probably draft the Missouri RB in rd 4 and draft a other RB in the 7th. Somebody like Keelan Robinson.

I like Morgan a lot.

If Mims falls I would be jumping for joy if he was the pick at 1-23. If not Paul or the Washington OT would be my pick. If they went another direction in rd one say Latu-, then I would look at drafting McConkey in rd 2 and trading up to get Foster in the bottom of rd 2.

Don't know where I would find a RB but I would probably draft the Missouri RB in rd 4 and draft a other RB in the 7th. Somebody like Keelan Robinson.
If you're talking Javon Foster I'd be really happy if he's available late in the second as I'm very high on him, but I think that given o-line is often one of the last position groups people usually spend time on studying I expect him to start going up and up as the process goes along. I also expect he'll do really well at the combine as he looks like a very good athlete - long arms and mobility are the quintessential coveted tackle traits and that's what he really brings.

I personally really want to see CB being looked at closely by us. Building an absolutely elite secondary could really help us hamstring teams when we have CJ attacking them vertically and aggressively but the other team can't really respond in the same way.

If you're talking Javon Foster I'd be really happy if he's available late in the second as I'm very high on him, but I think that given o-line is often one of the last position groups people usually spend time on studying I expect him to start going up and up as the process goes along. I also expect he'll do really well at the combine as he looks like a very good athlete - long arms and mobility are the quintessential coveted tackle traits and that's what he really brings.

I personally really want to see CB being looked at closely by us. Building an absolutely elite secondary could really help us hamstring teams when we have CJ attacking them vertically and aggressively but the other team can't really respond in the same way.
You gotta score points to win and 3 points isn't going to cut it. The defense played well but got worn out because of the offenses ineptness.

You gotta score points to win and 3 points isn't going to cut it. The defense played well but got worn out because of the offenses ineptness.

Most of that ineptness was because our offense was Stroud and Collins and that was pretty much it. The rest of the guys on offense were kind of just there. Ravens have a good defense and we really didn't have anyone that could go toe to toe with their defense and win. Fact is the team just finally ran out of gas after going further than they had any right to. Add more depth at skill positions and a couple of stud players and most of the ineptness goes away. Losing Dell just as we were going into the do or die part of the season also hurt a ton.

I agree but I also don't think basing your whole roster, free agency, and draft strategy on one game is the way to build a proper team.

I think CB needs to be a target because Stingley's health is and will likely always be a concern and Nelson is over thirty and regressing. After those two there's not much there. Even safety has massive question marks.

I agree but I also don't think basing your whole roster, free agency, and draft strategy on one game is the way to build a proper team.

I think CB needs to be a target because Stingley's health is and will likely always be a concern and Nelson is over thirty and regressing. After those two there's not much there. Even safety has massive question marks.
I'm not basing it on one game.

I'm basing this on what I think it will take to beat the best teams in the NFL.

Gotta add more difference makers so Strouds got a chance to succeed

Ryans is a trenches 1st type guy on defense.

I'm not basing it on one game.

I'm basing this on what I think it will take to beat the best teams in the NFL.

Gotta add more difference makers so Strouds got a chance to succeed

Ryans is a trenches 1st type guy on defense.
You are basing it on one game if you're talking about the offenses lack of production. Otherwise this offense produced A LOT against top defenses too.

I know Ryans likes the trenches but what I'm not hearing from you is why YOU think we don't need help at CB going into next season.

They have to upgrade skill positions on both sides of the ball. And yes the trenches need help too
Right.
Still a lot of work to do, but, if you can get two nice upgrades on offense and another two on defense, we would logically be a better team.
It won't take too much to accomplish that.

Just a reminder that Caserio won two big trades.

The Watson trade.
The WAJr trade.

Nailed the last draft.

He has definitely shown his abilities as a top GM in the league.
I can quibble about some of the smaller stuff (trading picks for players he cut, taking on too much dead cap). But the big things he didn't screw up. I think we'll keep him after all.

The guys on 610 made an interesting point. They said NC could have an "elite" off season this go round because he can now concentrate more fully on the roster as he now has a good HC.
He also doesn't have to spend so much time on the QB which would absorb considerable time.
I reckon he had an elite off season last time getting DR, CJ and TD.
He did decent with the FAs as well.
Be hard to top that imo.

The guys on 610 made an interesting point. They said NC could have an "elite" off season this go round because he can now concentrate more fully on the roster as he now has a good HC.
He also doesn't have to spend so much time on the QB which would absorb considerable time.
I reckon he had an elite off season last time getting DR, CJ and TD.
He did decent with the FAs as well.
Be hard to top that imo.

Put the final pieces and then win the superbowl. Bang, he topped last season.

*Kevin Walters

Next thing you know, you're going to misspell Owen Daniel.

Back