Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Nick Caserio - New GM

His FA signings have been nice(although I don’t know about one and 2 year deals but his drafting has been meh. The first round last year:

-taking a high risk guy like stingley was dumb especially over sauce and looks worse now. Granted he wasn’t in the right scheme for his strengths so let’s see this year what happens
-Kenyon green was one of the worst guards in the nfl last year and they traded down to get him, passing on Jordan Davis and Kyle Hamilton.
-they were in on Garrett wilson, breece hall, and sauce who were all taken by the jets

Now he did get pitre and Pierce which is nice and the jury is out on metchie and Harris.

as far as why he could be gone:
The article you posted is slightly contradictory as it points out a 3 year window for the rebuild. This will be Caserios 3rd draft and we won't have a proper assessment of any QB taken until we see how he looks after a sophomore season.
You gotta be fair on the players and that means you cannot be premature on firing personell who hire them by the same token.

His FA signings have been nice(although I don’t know about one and 2 year deals but his drafting has been meh. The first round last year:

-taking a high risk guy like stingley was dumb especially over sauce and looks worse now. Granted he wasn’t in the right scheme for his strengths so let’s see this year what happens
-Kenyon green was one of the worst guards in the nfl last year and they traded down to get him, passing on Jordan Davis and Kyle Hamilton.
-they were in on Garrett wilson, breece hall, and sauce who were all taken by the jets

Now he did get pitre and Pierce which is nice and the jury is out on metchie and Harris.

I can’t believe the McNair’s can be happy with how Nick handled Cooks, either. A 5th round pick was a paltry return for him.

I can’t believe the McNair’s can be happy with how Nick handled Cooks, either. A 5th round pick was a paltry return for him.

He blew the Cooks deal. That's all he was worth as of this spring. Last fall...he might have been worth a #2 or worst case a #3. The apparent sticking point was the Cowboys wanted Nick to pick up the tab on much more of the contract than Nick was comfy with so he passed. Remember, all of that was before Cooks quit on the team, pouted, played like crap, and did everything possible to lower his trade value on the way out the door.

As an aside to this, the contract terms that were too much for Nick to pick up were negotiated by Nick himself. It's like the Fox blaming the lack of chickens in the hen house on undesirables eating too much of the product...and then looking at his tummy and saying damn that was good, while tossing a wing and a thigh into the garbage.

All in all, Nick to this point has been a mixed bag in my book. If there is a big shake-up, my thinking is it's of his own volition. I seriously doubt he is fired on merit until at least after the 2024 season. Maybe he wants to be back where he is comfortable being Billy's errand boy in Boston.

The article you posted is slightly contradictory as it points out a 3 year window for the rebuild. This will be Caserios 3rd draft and we won't have a proper assessment of any QB taken until we see how he looks after a sophomore season.
You gotta be fair on the players and that means you cannot be premature on firing personell who hire them by the same token.
Yea it's from SI and Nick probably won't go anywhere unless it's after the draft but Demeco does hold all the power and has a 6 year contract so he can bring in anyone he wants that shares his vision

(SportsRadio 610) - Before I get into speculation that general manager Nick Caserio could be leaving the Texans after the draft – something I believe is preposterous – let me point out a few things: Caserio loves DeMeco Ryans and recommended him to Cal and Hannah McNair. Caserio still has final say on every personnel decision going into the draft.

Anybody who believes anything else is clueless about how the Texans operate.

Now, let’s address the Caserio speculation, which I heard for the first time at the NFL meetings in Phoenix late last month. A longtime member of an AFC front office I’ve respected for years told me he heard Caserio was leaving after the draft to return to New England. I told him it didn’t make sense on any level, but I checked with people in the Texans’ organization I trust, and they said they didn’t believe it, either.

This week, former NFL general manager and personnel director Michael Lombardi said on his podcast on VSiN.com that change could be coming to the Texans’ front office after the draft. As relayed by John Crumpler from the TexansWire, Lombardi said, “There’s a longer game being played in Houston. I think there’ll be some organizational changes in Houston after the draft. I’m not saying people will be fired, but, organizationally, things will be shifted.”

To me, shifted means moved around. When I was asked about it on SportsRadio 610’s Payne and Pendergast show Wednesday morning, I mentioned what I heard about Caserio at the league meetings. I immediately shot it down.

There are a lot of reasons I don’t believe it, starting with there are no GM jobs open, Caserio has three years left on his contract that pays him $5 million a year, he has 12 draft choices and two first-round picks, he loves working with Ryans and -- last but not least – any team trying to sign Caserio would have to cough up substantial compensation.

And, of course, there’s this little matter about no opening in New England because Bill Belichick is the czar who controls everything. Caserio tried to come to the Texans three times beginning in 2017 as Rick Smith’s replacement, and Belichick blocked him the first two times before the rules changed and he was allowed to come to Houston.

Why would Caserio want to return to the Patriots after trying to leave them three times to become a general manager? Oh, by the way, he would have to take orders from Belichick again rather than have final say on all personnel decisions.

And the McNair family is happy with the job Caserio was hired to do. They’re in the third year of the rebuild. He did a tremendous job getting draft choices from Cleveland for Deshaun Watson. And he said after the Zoom interview with Ryans that he told the McNairs he wanted to get Ryans to NRG Stadium for an in-person interview and not allow him to leave. And that’s exactly what happened.

What do Cal and Hannah McNair think about the job Caserio is doing? Here are quotes from them when I interviewed them in Phoenix on that subject:

From Cal McNair: “None of us knew the storm he was walking into. I think he’s done a fantastic job getting the Texans’ ship through some bad weather. A lot of that was unforeseen. I don’t know that other teams have gone through what we went through. I think he grew through that process. He’s got us in a great spot with the assets we have with DeMeco, draft choices, free agents and the cap space he’s been using to help put our roster together.”

From Hannah McNair: “DeMeco’s in lockstep with Nick, and they have the same mindset and work ethic. If you don’t have a GM and coach working together, you’re in (trouble). They’re in alignment, and it’s nice to see. They’re working really well together.”

They don’t sound like owners who are unhappy with their general manager, or expect him to leave. Maybe Caserio is unhappy for some reason. Maybe the Lombardi report was about James Liipfert, the assistant director of player personnel who’s in his sixth year with the Texans.

This story has shades of Littlefinger Easterby. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being the source from his butthurt feelings that his buddy Nick fired his ass.

It does not have Hannah McNair vibes in any sort of way, so I'm assuming it's just more falsehoods during lying season.

I think those two picks (Stingley and Green) were Lovie choices.

Yea it's from SI and Nick probably won't go anywhere unless it's after the draft but Demeco does hold all the power and has a 6 year contract so he can bring in anyone he wants that shares his vision

Every team manages their GM-HC dymanic differently, and we've clearly had a lot of Machiavellian activities around this team in the past. But I don't get this sentiment that as a rookie HC he has the power to get the GM fired. Or that he even thinks like that. Why do we assume there is a power struggle with a vanquished loser?

At this juncture, Caserio and Ryans have been a unified front. I’ve never seen nor heard anything from either that would lead me to believe otherwise.

Not one person, outside of the owner, has final say on decisions or draft choices. However, we did see this with Bill O’Brian once he “took” power and the results slammed this organization into a shite hole so deep it’s taken 3 seasons to even begin to see the light at the top of the pit.

A great organization has a think tank between the Owner, GM, HC, Scouts, and Coordinators when preparing for the draft. Some of you guys want to think that if Caserio isn’t making 100% of the picks, then he must be a file clerk.

Personally, I want this organization to finally get their foundation established. Caserio has gotten this team out of OB’s mess regardless of how some view his strategy. The Texans cap position will continue to get stronger over the next couple of seasons. Bottom line, Cal needs to keep this pair together and finally build some good continuity.

Last edited:

First off, Cooks didn’t look anything like himself before the deadline. When Caserio refused to eat his contract at the deadline to make a deal, Cooks quit on the team.

Caserio didn’t screw up a deal for Cooks….Cooks flat out quitting and not performing screwed the Texans. Just like Lovie sticking it to the organization by ducking them over in the final game.

Lovie‘s son pounded the table to trade up for Harris. Of course, Lovie obliged.

A GM worth his weight in sand would’ve permanently benched Cooks last November. They didn’t and it cost them the #1.

Every team manages their GM-HC dymanic differently, and we've clearly had a lot of Machiavellian activities around this team in the past. But I don't get this sentiment that as a rookie HC he has the power to get the GM fired. Or that he even thinks like that. Why do we assume there is a power struggle with a vanquished loser?
because Demeco has a contract that outlasts anyone in the building and Nick had mentioned in the presser after the season that he would be willing to step down if that's what it takes

I have seen rumors, but I have also seen McCain say "he doesn't believe it for a second". Guess we will have to wait and see.

Side note: If true, who would you want to take the GM spot?

because Demeco has a contract that outlasts anyone in the building and Nick had mentioned in the presser after the season that he would be willing to step down if that's what it takes

I understand both things. But that doesn't mean that there is a power struggle going on and DR would try to replace Nick with "his guy" given the chance.

Correlation does not equal causation.

I'm sort of with John Crumpler (thanks as always Zshawn).

I'd give him a C- for his tenure.

This upcoming draft will tell the tale for me. He's got to nail this draft.

But no matter what I or anyone thinks of any draft short term, it's 3 years until a draft can be fully evaluated.

I understand both things. But that doesn't mean that there is a power struggle going on and DR would try to replace Nick with "his guy" given the chance.

Correlation does not equal causation.
I guess we will see; what if Nick has agreed to to do the draft first and then leave right after?

Could be similar to how charley casserly left after the 2006 draft. Maybe Will Anderson will be nicks “Mario Williams” :thinking:

At this juncture, Caserio and Ryans have been a unified front. I’ve never seen nor heard anything from either that would lead me to believe otherwise.

Not one person, outside of the owner, has final say on decisions or draft choices. However, we did see this with Bill O’Brian once he “took” power and the results slammed this organization into a shite hole so deep it’s taken 3 seasons to even begin to see the light at the top of the pit.

A great organization has a think tank between the Owner, GM, HC, Scouts, and Coordinators when preparing for the draft. Some of you guys want to think that if Caserio isn’t making 100% of the picks, then he must be a file clerk.

Personally, I want this organization to finally get their foundation established. Caserio has gotten this team out of OB’s mess regardless of how some view his strategy. The Texans cap position will continue to get stronger over the next couple of seasons. Bottom line, Cal needs to keep this pair together and finally build some good continuity.
Time @ sucking on the field with bad coaching hires & not signing premium talent has something to do with rising out from O’Brians sink hole, but guess he just wanted to tank one more game when it mattered so Texans might just have to wait one more year to get the QB they all could agree on. If that was the plan? Excellent execution :hankpalm:

24) Nick Caserio, Houston Texans

Caserio inherited a broken situation that got worse when Deshaun Watson asked out of town and was subsequently accused of sexual misconduct and suspended by the NFL. Caserio has hired three head coaches in his first three years as a general manager. That is a massive strike against him. I couldn't find another example of this in league history.
Caserio's first two drafts have been average for the picks he had to work with. The volume of free agents brought in over the last two years rivals any team in football, with a decent hit rate. It's up to new coach DeMeco Ryans and the incoming No. 2 overall pick to make all those moves look better.

I will disagree with Cody s. Nick will do whatever he feels will cause the least amount of distraction through the draft. the range could be saying nothing with an intentional non-answer or using a large amount of words to address without addressing the situation.

Edit: my vote for the lots of words but not lots meaning.

I will disagree with Cody s. Nick will do whatever he feels will cause the least amount of distraction through the draft. the range could be saying nothing with an intentional non-answer or using a large amount of words to address without addressing the situation.

Edit: my vote for the lots of words but not lots meaning.
There will be enough word salad with a side of a cliche for everyone.

Agreed, Cooks should have been benched for multiple reasons.

Absolutely. Totally botched by Nick. Still...I'm holding to my C- overall eval at this time...pending the rest of his tenure.

As far as this presser clearing anything up, I seriously doubt that. I've never seen a person use more words to say less than Nick.

Nick should have his own infomercial selling the NC word salad master. Just speak the truth into the word salad master using a few simple, concise and clear words, and it spits out a nonsensical string of nouns, verbs, non-sequiturs, mixed metaphors, and meaningless tripe. Salad Master takes your 20 words, and gives you back 2000 of the most complex, meaningless words guaranteed! All for only 3 easy payments of $19.99. But wait, order now and receive our guide on how to draw up 1-year contracts so you never have a stable roster and for a limited time only - our NC cheat sheet on how to overpay middling players and then have to keep paying them even after they leave your employ.

A GM worth his weight in sand would’ve permanently benched Cooks last November. They didn’t and it cost them the #1.

Agreed, Cooks should have been benched for multiple reasons.

Absolutely. Totally botched by Nick. Still...I'm holding to my C- overall eval at this time...pending the rest of his tenure.

Is a GM responsible for benching a player? Or is that the HC? And if the HC has total control over the roster can he veto and GM actions to suspend or bench or a player?

We know Lovie was desperate for wins to validate him staying.

NC put this franchise back on the tracks after an absolute train wreck and cleaned up the mess.
Until this roster is set, you have to keep him - he has familiarity with all the staff and his finger on the pulse.
He has not done anything worthy of termination.
He's done all of this in a fiscally responsible manner. Not going for quick fixes or signing good FAs to elite contracts.

Back