Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - keeper or kerb?

Keeper or kerb?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

badboy

Hall of Fame
I did a draft re-do giving NC the two picks back that were lost and for the first 3 picks taking likely prospects in the '21 draft and took Justin Fields QB @#3, Zaven Collins LB @#35 and Kendrick Green IOL @#67.
Fields looked like his arrow was pointing up after his sophomore season. Collins is a JAG and Green is a bust.
So much for re-do.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
His job will be completed after this draft, just like Casserly in 2006. History repeats itself. Did the hard work & took the dirty laundry out, so now he can go home, pockets full with some respect around the league.

Other side is, it’s time to move on, clean slate, no longer Patriot way but under Shanahan tree. Different time, different direction a new fresh start. That’s why :logo:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
His job will be completed after this draft, just like Casserly in 2006. History repeats itself. Did the hard work & took the dirty laundry out, so now he can go home, pockets full with some respect around the league.

Other side is, it’s time to move on, clean slate, no longer Patriot way but under Shanahan tree. Different time, different direction a new fresh start. That’s why :logo:
Maybe they move NC up to VP of football operations and bring in Peters as GM

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

The guy began his career under Belicheck and followed McDaniel to Denver. That’s 7-8 years with the Patriot way.

He only had a couple years under Elway and let’s face it - Elway was no mastermind GM.

He has spent the last 4 years under Lynch not Shannahan.

To me that doesn’t make him a Shannahan guy.

IMHO Caserio’s job isn’t done. He bartered for the draft picks. I want to see what he does with them. Like other GMs give him a few years with first rounders.

That’s just my opinion.

michaelm

vox nihili
I can't remember if I read it in this thread, but I heard on 610 that the word is that player evaluation for draft prospects is so different between DeMeco and Caserio that it's possibly the reason for a Caserio departure.

Has this been mentioned? I don't feel like going back through the thread

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I can't remember if I read it in this thread, but I heard on 610 that the word is that player evaluation for draft prospects is so different between DeMeco and Caserio that it's possibly the reason for a Caserio departure.

No but it doesn't jive with anything I've heard. Probably rank speculation

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

I've heard the exact opposite about Caserio and Ryans' relationship.
IMO, 99.9% of anything put out at this time of year is just click bait. Every team is keeping their true intentions close to the vest so these "reporters" have to come up with something to justify their existence.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
I give him a passing grade but not a great one - about a C+. So far, his first 2 selections of the last 2 drafts have arguably not performed to their draft position (Mills & Collins, Stingley & Green). His first 2 coaching hires were big mistakes.
However, I'm sick and tired of this organization being a national laughing stock by making stupid decisions - that's on Cal. Let's not make it worse by firing the guy who navigated us through the Watson mess before he has time to finish building a team from the ashes of O'Brien, Watson and Easterby.
Nick is not highly regarded nationally as a powerful GM but I think he is at least better than half of them. He deserves at least another year.

Last edited:

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Did you really just call the hacks on 610 reporters?
To be fair.... "journalism" and "reporter" have been used very loosely more and more as time goes on.

Now those terms are about as trust worthy as "politician" and about as legitimate as a "cryptozoologist".

As for DM and NC, I don't really care.

IF NC wants to run away because he doesn't see eye to eye with a coach.... bye Felicia and glad to be rid of ya.

I would much prefer the GM and HC not see eye to eye and have them sharpen eachother. A comfortable situation isn't always the best thing for reaching goals.

Sometime you need a rival to keep you on your toes. There is a difference though between one that keeps you at your best and someone that is toxic.... but if they dont agree Im assuming both men are keeping it professional and though sometimes discussions get heated... respect is still present.

Last edited:

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Interesting take to this point - out of 32 voters so far, only 1 has voted to kick him to the kerb.
Two love him, one hates him, everyone else is still pissing in the wind to see which way it blows. A few are probably still pissing on the electric fence trying to figure that out.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Two love him, one hates him, everyone else is still pissing in the wind to see which way it blows. A few are probably still pissing on the electric fence trying to figure that out.
I'm still not sure how it works, but I do know it works better than coffee.

michaelm

vox nihili
I've heard the exact opposite about Caserio and Ryans' relationship.
IMO, 99.9% of anything put out at this time of year is just click bait. Every team is keeping their true intentions close to the vest so these "reporters" have to come up with something to justify their existence.
To clarify, it has nothing to do with their relationship.
The claim I heard was that they use very different methods of evaluating draft prospects.
My assumption is that they have significantly different rankings based on their differing evaluation methods.
Assuming there's any validity to the claim

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
The claim I heard was that they use very different methods of evaluating draft prospects.
My assumption is that they have significantly different rankings based on their differing evaluation methods.
Interesting.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Part of me says that even with differing evaluation styles, good players are still going to bubble to the top on both lists.

The other part of me says that Nick has a measurable that he goes after, while DR might be looking at scheme fit first, especially on offense.

To me, if there is any conflict, it is because of this second part. But is Nick going to leave because he's being asked to get a different type of offensive lineman than what he wants? Surely he is smart enough to know that his old boss Bilicheck both made the grocery list and did the shopping in NE.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Part of me says that even with differing evaluation styles, good players are still going to bubble to the top on both lists.

The other part of me says that Nick has a measurable that he goes after, while DR might be looking at scheme fit first, especially on offense.

To me, if there is any conflict, it is because of this second part. But is Nick going to leave because he's being asked to get a different type of offensive lineman than what he wants? Surely he is smart enough to know that his old boss Bilicheck both made the grocery list and did the shopping in NE.
Belichick is certainly no draft guru either.
Ryans learned under Shannahan and Lynch.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Belichick is certainly no draft guru either.
Ryans learned under Shannahan and Lynch.
Not saying Bilicheck is a draft guru. Merely pointing out that Nick's philosophy was influenced by an org that had one guy wearing the GM and HC hats. Collaboration, consensus building and compromise between differing mindsets and philosophies is still new to him. Not saying he can't do it. Not saying there is friction based on those differences in styles. Just saying the boardroom at Kirby is different from the dictatorship in Foxborough.

Texas Jake

Rookie
That explains that tingling sensation I keep getting.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Not saying Bilicheck is a draft guru. Merely pointing out that Nick's philosophy was influenced by an org that had one guy wearing the GM and HC hats. Collaboration, consensus building and compromise between differing mindsets and philosophies is still new to him. Not saying he can't do it. Not saying there is friction based on those differences in styles. Just saying the boardroom at Kirby is different from the dictatorship in Foxborough.
I understand that. I was pointing that out that maybe Ryans had better teachers than Caserio.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Just curious, why does a team need a scouting department if they have a bunch of coaches evaluating players?
Coaches have eyes too.
They review the recommendations and watch tape and do interviews, etc,.
They rely on scouts for the less obvious lower round guys to find the nuggets and investigate those they may be interested in.
The coaches and GM make the final decisions.

GanadoUHCoog

Waterboy
I’d give him this draft to find some good players. You don’t hit on your 2 firsts for the second year in a a row, you are gone. As bad as Rick Smith was a times he could consistently hit on first round picks.

I’d pivot my choice around how last year’s two firsts develop this year and how this year’s two firsts look. Can’t waste 4 top 15 picks over 2 years. He better be praying that Green improves, stingley stays healthy, and he gets a star at #2 plus a really good starter at #12…

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Can you imagine this forum for the first couple of days?

Your post just struck a curious nerve for me. This site is archived from the original. I might look and see if I can find the first post ever on this mb. Could be fun.

On NC, I like how he's navigated the market pre draft. I think we've stolen the designated "trading hot spot" from AZ.

Ofcourse, that means nothing if all our picks bust...

What if Cash-sherrio does not draft a QB............. the world would end.

People would be happy with Trey Lance trade and non QB 1.2? He would probably be fleeced by the niners............ sad

Juest the weirdness of this man........... seems late to party....... daboll.......and uder young bucks coaching. We did not even put our chips on the table.

Not mad