Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - keeper or kerb?

Keeper or kerb?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well the same things were said about picking Correa and the pitcher that needed TJ surgery. Remember the heat Drellich gave Luhnow for not signing him? Not signing him lead to Bregs. Of course I'm not a fan of the media. So far I give Caserio a C+ because of extenuating circumstances. This is really going to come down to is Stroud a championship level QB and I'm sad to think that Caserio will probably lose his job , when Stroud wasn't his choice for a franchise QB.

Objection! Speculation your honor! The witness has no first hand knowledge of the events surrounding the selection of CJ Stroud.

Sharing 3rd hand rumor will not pass as fact in this courtroom. You will be subjected to various forms of torture such as fingernails on chalkboards and screaming 3 year olds having a tantrum if you speculate on this matter again. Dismissed!

Casserio always gets a pass from all the bad outcomes, decisions, and so forth on his watch. He gets applauded for doing things he is supposed to do. He seems to either purposefully throw caution to the wind or not properly take it into account with many of the moves. Drafting Stingley and the trade up comes to mind. His moves also seems to not have a long term strategy and every offseason is about the next year. I see a few fatal flaws. One is indecisiveness, the trade up was the epitome of this. They couldn't decide one over the other so they shed future assets to avoid the decision. His coaching hires in the previous two seasons demonstrated this as well. The other is long term vision which relates to the first one, he seems to shift strategy season to season and not set the Franchise up to be in better positions in future seasons, its all about next season. Trading away next year's pick was very risky because this team isn't good, they're hopefully competitive, and with a few bad breaks they can be bad quickly (injuries). I find comfort that if this season goes bad and the pick is high, he could get the axe.

Casserio always gets a pass from all the bad outcomes, decisions, and so forth on his watch. He gets applauded for doing things he is supposed to do. He seems to either purposefully throw caution to the wind or not properly take it into account with many of the moves. Drafting Stingley and the trade up comes to mind. His moves also seems to not have a long term strategy and every offseason is about the next year. I see a few fatal flaws. One is indecisiveness, the trade up was the epitome of this. They couldn't decide one over the other so they shed future assets to avoid the decision. His coaching hires in the previous two seasons demonstrated this as well. The other is long term vision which relates to the first one, he seems to shift strategy season to season and not set the Franchise up to be in better positions in future seasons, its all about next season. Trading away next year's pick was very risky because this team isn't good, they're hopefully competitive, and with a few bad breaks they can be bad quickly (injuries). I find comfort that if this season goes bad and the pick is high, he could get the axe.

Spot on. Couldn't have said it better. Dude needs to go. He's not a good GM and has no vision. I won't restate what you already said - but I agree wholeheartedly.

I'm close to out on Caserio. If we can scrape together 7 wins and have Stingley, Stroud, and Anderson play well this year then I'll look at wading back in. At this point not seeing a whole lot to be excited about.

Spot on. Couldn't have said it better. Dude needs to go. He's not a good GM and has no vision. I won't restate what you already said - but I agree wholeheartedly.

This reminds of like a battered lover syndrome. BOB was so heavy handed and a curmudgeon while burning the franchise to the ground. Everyone wants to believe in this guy, and because he isn’t publicly abrasive, they give him pass after pass and don’t connect the past two seasons to him at all. The trade was the first of its kind in history, a team naturally picking that high trading back up trading away next years pick. So does Casserio have an edge that no one else recognized or was this incredibly risky and short sighted? There’s nothing in the passed two years that Casserio has done to tell you this is the former.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Objection! Speculation your honor! The witness has no first hand knowledge of the events surrounding the selection of CJ Stroud.

Sharing 3rd hand rumor will not pass as fact in this courtroom. You will be subjected to various forms of torture such as fingernails on chalkboards and screaming 3 year olds having a tantrum if you speculate on this matter again. Dismissed!
Believe what you want. I'm certainly not going to change your mind.

Lance Zierlein today said that ownership is going to have to own the CJ Stroud pick. It’s on the podcast at the 21 minute mark. The podcast titled “John Defends the Indefensible”.

@steelbtexan
@CloakNNNdagger
@Corrosion

Last edited:
If Casserio can’t manipulate Cal like the many before him, it really means he shouldn’t be running the show. Would a guy with more of a track record be able to keep Cal on the sidelines? I dunno, but any GM who can’t will never be a good GM.

If Casserio can’t manipulate Cal like the many before him, it really means he shouldn’t be running the show. Would a guy with more of a track record be able to keep Cal on the sidelines? I dunno, but any GM who can’t will never be a good GM.

Some people have moral objections against manipulating other people.

He did learn under Belichick, who doesn't have a great record in the draft.
The Stingley pick is, by far, the worst. I'm not sure how much authority he was given in hiring HCs.
I'm happy with Stroud and I liked the strategy used to get Junior. Hopefully, Cap gives him a proper vision for molding the team.

I'm holding out judgment until we see how the 2021 and 2022 classes start to look as that's where real draft capital was had and used.

We've also gone through a flux of scouting department changes and I'm not incredibly excited at the idea of bringing in someone else to restart that process and make Demeco sit through it.

I this the guy who recommended trading for Lance?
My understanding is that Lynch and Shanahan were both all in on trading up to #3 to draft Mac Jones and at the last minute Shanahan had a change of heart and shocked the NFL world by picking Trey Lance instead. I think what you are referring to were some wild azz rumors started by McClain and Mike Lombardi about Texans not taking a QB, Caserio leaving after the draft, and Texans hiring Adam Peters and trading for Trey Lance.

He’s throwing out his opinion as well. Doesn’t mean he knows. He’s just guessing like the rest of us.
You wont believe this if Cal comes out and says Stroud was his pick. Which it wasn't.

Serious question, what would it take for you to believe that Stroud was an ownership pick and not a football people pick?

Can you manipulate your boss? More importantly can you manipulate your bosses wife.

I'm the boss of my business and nobody is going to manipulate me and they damned sure aren't going to be able to manipulate my wife.

But hey, maybe that's just us, if you want a LOL you should ask some of the board members that have met her if she can be manipulated.

I'm holding out judgment until we see how the 2021 and 2022 classes start to look as that's where real draft capital was had and used.

We've also gone through a flux of scouting department changes and I'm not incredibly excited at the idea of bringing in someone else to restart that process and make Demeco sit through it.

Ryans and Caserio seem to have genuine respect for each other and appear to work well together. This teams talent level has really improved this yr. Although there wasn't enough draft capital to fill all of the holes and really the main weakness is lack of depth. IMHO

Reactions: JB
Serious question, what would it take for you to believe that Stroud was an ownership pick and not a football people pick?

When Cal (or Hannah) 'fesses up to the public and admits it, which they haven't.

Until then, it's another rumor in a long line of rumors.

But it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were true. (Which it probably is, but we just don't know for sure.)

Can you manipulate your boss? More importantly can you manipulate your bosses wife.

I'm the boss of my business and nobody is going to manipulate me and they damned sure aren't going to be able to manipulate my wife.

But hey, maybe that's just us, if you want a LOL you should ask some of the board members that have met her if she can be manipulated.
Caserio is a people pleaser; his personality is to please. This is why the McNairs like him. Caserio is incapable of manipulating anyone. This is why he ends up with the short end of the stick in most trades and overpays big-player contracts. He gets the players, the coaches, and the owner wants and makes players happy by getting them paid. That is what he did in New England, and this is what he does in Houston. Except in NE he did not negotiate contracts or make any trades, but he did what Bill and Bob told him to do to their satisfaction.

Last edited:
When Cal (or Hannah) 'fesses up to the public and admits it, which they haven't.

Until then, it's another rumor in a long line of rumors.

But it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were true. (Which it probably is, but we just don't know for sure.)
They will never admit this. Caserio/Ryans run cover for their meddling. Just like other did for Cal's dad.

Caserio is a people pleaser; his personality is to please. Caserio is incapable of manipulating anyone. This is why he ends up with the short end of the stick in most trades and overpays big-player contracts. He gets the players coaches, and the owner wants and makes players happy by getting them paid. That is what he did in New England, and this is what he does in Houston.
Considering you've never met or talked with the man (assuming here correct me if I'm wrong) I'll take your psychoanalysis with a massive block of salt.

I remember when you were so sure that Lovie was calling the shots now and he'd be around this year and then out the door with Caserio next year. :thinking:

Believe what you want. I'm certainly not going to change your mind.

It's not a matter of belief. It's a matter of available facts. It's mere speculation. I see this a lot in all facets of life now.

People take rumors or rampant speculation and assign them the label of fact.

You may be 100% right about this. But there's no proof at all. So, at least agree that it's an opinion, based on 3rd hand information and that you have zero direct knowledge.

If you've ever played the telephone game, we all know how information can become altered as it moves from person to person. I'll take it as fact when it's first hand info.

It's not a matter of belief. It's a matter of available facts. It's mere speculation. I see this a lot in all facets of life now.

People take rumors or rampant speculation and assign them the label of fact.

You may be 100% right about this. But there's no proof at all. So, at least agree that it's an opinion, based on 3rd hand information and that you have zero direct knowledge.

If you've ever played the telephone game, we all know how information can become altered as it moves from person to person. I'll take it as fact when it's first hand info.
I trust the person who told me this.

I'M done here.

Just remember when I told you that the McNair's were very hands on owners and you told me I was crazy and that the McNair's were hands off owners. You weren't the only one to tell me this back in the day. I got that info from the same person that told me about the Strouid pick.

2023 NFL GM rankings: The 5 best and 5 worst execs

Caserio spent the first two years of his Texans tenure unofficially tanking while wasting the time of two head coaches — David Culley and Lovie Smith — who deserved so much better. And beyond his coaches, he also wasted the time of his fans.

Let’s be blunt here. I don’t care if Caserio’s “tanking” process led the Texans to C.J. Stroud and Will Anderson. NFL turnarounds simply don’t require mailing in two consecutive seasons. It is a blatant insult to your supporters to expect them to maintain unwavering loyalty and to anyone who loves the professional game. A majority of NFL teams are depressing and mediocre enough as it is. The least you can do is humor people by actually trying to put a competent product on the field. Caserio should be ashamed of that process alone.

I sure hope DeMeco Ryans works out as Houston’s new head coach. Because if this is a real Year 1 for Caserio, it’s time to start competing and showing progress. The excuses, if there were any to begin with in the first place, have dried out.
There are reasons to rank Nick Caserio low among NFL general managers. It's just that the author didn't use any of those reasons. Basically, he looked at the records and said, "He's bad, he's good". There's so much content on the internet and that assures you get lazy sports writing. That the piece can't even put the correct team to Raider GM Dave Ziegler's name tells you everything you need to know.

There are reasons to rank Nick Caserio low among NFL general managers. It's just that the author didn't use any of those reasons. Basically, he looked at the records and said, "He's bad, he's good". There's so much content on the internet and that assures you get lazy sports writing. That the piece can't even put the correct team to Raider GM Dave Ziegler's name tells you everything you need to know.

Fair point but regardless of the why, it's very clear he isn't well-regarded in general among writers and the chattering class. I get that's not the end-all-be-all, but he isn't earning a lot of praise for his handling of HC searches, his FA acquisition strategy, his choosing of injured players high in the draft, or a general lack of direction defining his tenure.

Fair point but regardless of the why, it's very clear he isn't well-regarded in general among writers and the chattering class. I get that's not the end-all-be-all, but he isn't earning a lot of praise for his handling of HC searches, his FA acquisition strategy, his choosing of injured players high in the draft, or a general lack of direction defining his tenure.
Who cares what a bunch of writers think.

It's like many on this MB actually take what a bunch of writers say to heart. 🤣

I just don’t understand why Casserio gets the ultimate pass. There’s a pile of things he did horribly, there’s the actual results which are also horrible. He seems to get praise for the things he does adequately. Has there ever been a team that hires to fire two coaches in consecutive seasons? The 2022 draft is looking rough, I can’t fault the Green pick that was bad luck, but if Stingley can’t stay on the field again (as he has thoroughly demonstrated in college and rookie year) he needs to wear that failure.

I give them credit with how they have been very successful at pulling the wool over the fans eyes on the trade up. Very well executed sleight of hand there, they’ve framed it as getting both players when they already had one, they’ve made people think that the #12 pick can’t bring in a difference maker (Micah Parsons hold my beer), that edge rusher is like the QB position, it’s not there’s only on QB on the field when there are many pass rushers. They thrown it out there like you NEED a high picked edge rusher to have an Elite D when the Cowboys and Eagles had elite rushes without a high picked guy.

This is the guy that just said and I quote “We don’t control what the record is”. WTF? I’m not understanding why he isn’t getting crushed for that. Casserio seems to have some matrix level bullet dodging abilities.

It’s tough to say but this team will be better in the long run if they have a bad season this year so it blows up in his face precipitating a change, because he has demonstrated repeatedly that he has little strategic long term vision and GMs year to year. You can’t reach the highest level with that. Who wants a GM that doesn’t think he controls the record?

Yes.

The Houston Oilers - Sammy Baugh for a year and then Hugh Taylor for a year. Both of them went 4-10 and got fired.

Of course it would be the Oilers, lol, I wonder if it was a foregone conclusion the day they were hired that they would be fired at season’s end? Because these last two were completely set up to fail.

I just don’t understand why Casserio gets the ultimate pass. There’s a pile of things he did horribly, there’s the actual results which are also horrible. He seems to get praise for the things he does adequately. Has there ever been a team that hires to fire two coaches in consecutive seasons? The 2022 draft is looking rough, I can’t fault the Green pick that was bad luck, but if Stingley can’t stay on the field again (as he has thoroughly demonstrated in college and rookie year) he needs to wear that failure.

I give them credit with how they have been very successful at pulling the wool over the fans eyes on the trade up. Very well executed sleight of hand there, they’ve framed it as getting both players when they already had one, they’ve made people think that the #12 pick can’t bring in a difference maker (Micah Parsons hold my beer), that edge rusher is like the QB position, it’s not there’s only on QB on the field when there are many pass rushers. They thrown it out there like you NEED a high picked edge rusher to have an Elite D when the Cowboys and Eagles had elite rushes without a high picked guy.

This is the guy that just said and I quote “We don’t control what the record is”. WTF? I’m not understanding why he isn’t getting crushed for that. Casserio seems to have some matrix level bullet dodging abilities.

It’s tough to say but this team will be better in the long run if they have a bad season this year so it blows up in his face precipitating a change, because he has demonstrated repeatedly that he has little strategic long term vision and GMs year to year. You can’t reach the highest level with that. Who wants a GM that doesn’t think he controls the record?

Agree with the trade up for Anderson or not, and obviously Ryans did, no one at 12 or the other pieces involved equaled #51or deal Would not have been consummated.

Secondly, Anderson brings much more attention to Houston than others available.

I heard the cant control the record and he should get flamed for that. When he came in with no picks and a huge cap problem, yeah, but nowadays needs to own it. I figured they wanted to muddle for two years to clear cap, get DW4 out of here, and start getting in picks, so I started judging harsher now as we can see how his picks from last year are playing out. I watched a good Netflix on Florida when they rose up, you could tell Urban wanted his Alpha on offense and defense that showed how they work, and led the team from the inside. I agree there are many pass rushers, but I feel Will Anderson brings that alpha dog that will force excellence across the Defense, and am watching CJ who needs to grow into that I am souring on Casserio, think we can do better, but want to see him with Demeco. Casserio likes to serve, so with a better coach and talent guy like Demeco, I do think Casserio can be servicable. I thought Green was a need pick last year, but did think the kid could play til he got hurt, but verdict is way out on him now

Caserio isn’t getting any special pass.

While I don't entirely agree with your post, I do like big chunks of it. Over the recent years there's been a lot of strange goings on at Kirby. He inherited an absolute dumpster fire. I don't think a majority of gm's would've succeeded given the same circumstances.

That doesn't mean I'm calling an amnesty international hot line on his behalf. (800-266-3789) So please don't mistake this post as me giving anyone a free pass.

It's just, I've always had this stupid feeling that somewhere in a dark wet basement near reliant, there's a giant leather-bound log book. And in this book, a beady eye'd clerk who rarely speaks and smells like fish keeps track of every major franchise move.

When the owner overrides a decision or a majority of coaches and scouts want something Nick doesn't, he jots it down. He tracks accountability, and every Monday after the last game this book is walked up to the owner's office.

If you listen closely, you can hear Cal mumble the same thing every year. "Damn, sh*t, f***, again? Me?"

Who's accountable for what? As fans, no one will ever tell us and we're left fighting amongst ourselves. We see the end result but never the how or why. The ledger knows and so does a lonely old clerk strongly resembling Uncle Fester.

That explains why Nick is still here.

This IS a "prove it year" for Caserio though. Without a spike in progress, he's next in line as a sacrifice to the fans. That's a separate book Cal keeps all to himself...

While I don't entirely agree with your post, I do like big chunks of it. Over the recent years there's been a lot of strange goings on at Kirby. He inherited an absolute dumpster fire. I don't think a majority of gm's would've succeeded given the same circumstances.

That doesn't mean I'm calling an amnesty international hot line on his behalf. (800-266-3789) So please don't mistake this post as me giving anyone a free pass.

It's just, I've always had this stupid feeling that somewhere in a dark wet basement near reliant, there's a giant leather-bound log book. And in this book, a beady eye'd clerk who rarely speaks and smells like fish keeps track of every major franchise move.

When the owner overrides a decision or a majority of coaches and scouts want something Nick doesn't, he jots it down. He tracks accountability, and every Monday after the last game this book is walked up to the owner's office.

If you listen closely, you can hear Cal mumble the same thing every year. "Damn, sh*t, f***, again? Me?"

Who's accountable for what? As fans, no one will ever tell us and we're left fighting amongst ourselves. We see the end result but never the how or why. The ledger knows and so does a lonely old clerk strongly resembling Uncle Fester.

That explains why Nick is still here.

This IS a "prove it year" for Caserio though. Without a spike in progress, he's next in line as a sacrifice to the fans. That's a separate book Cal keeps all to himself...
Since the Texans org has operated this way since their inception, I think it's rather obvious what the main issue is. Ownership meddling, I think it's funny that Green got hurt and very well may be a bust and the posters on here want Caserio fired because of this. This just in, maybe expectations are being set to high.

This just in, maybe expectations are being set to high.

Your my boy @steelbtexan and I love you for saying what you think no matter the consequences here...

But.

Are you saying expectations are to high when you demand a 10+ win season?

I'm confused. (Admittedly, it doesn't take much to get me that way.)

Since the Texans org has operated this way since their inception, I think it's rather obvious what the main issue is. Ownership meddling, I think it's funny that Green got hurt and very well may be a bust and the posters on here want Caserio fired because of this. This just in, maybe expectations are being set to high.

I don’t fault the Green pick, i will fault the Stingley pick if he continues to be injury prone. I didn’t like the trade, it smacks of indecisiveness and desperation. You can’t fix this team and make them a contender in a year, you shouldn’t be trading your first round pick off of a 4 win season. The trade up didn’t solve the real problem as fans but it did solve Casserio and Cal’s by invigorating a desperate fan base. Jokes on us when the bill is due next draft. I fault him for the lack of consistent strategy, for the poor hires, the lack of understanding of risk reward. The sheer amount of dysfunctional culture. It’s a good point if Cal’s hand is up Casserio, or Casserio’s is in Cal’s, we don’t know from the outside who is actually calling the shots for each decision and to the level of Cal’s meddling. But if Casserio doesn’t have the gravitas or the persuasion or manipulation skills to keep Cal at bay(if this is the case), then he will never be successful and neither will the Texans.

I don’t fault the Green pick, i will fault the Stingley pick if he continues to be injury prone. I didn’t like the trade, it smacks of indecisiveness and desperation. You can’t fix this team and make them a contender in a year, you shouldn’t be trading your first round pick off of a 4 win season. The trade up didn’t solve the real problem as fans but it did solve Casserio and Cal’s by invigorating a desperate fan base. Jokes on us when the bill is due next draft. I fault him for the lack of consistent strategy, for the poor hires, the lack of understanding of risk reward. The sheer amount of dysfunctional culture. It’s a good point if Cal’s hand is up Casserio, or Casserio’s is in Cal’s, we don’t know from the outside who is actually calling the shots for each decision and to the level of Cal’s meddling. But if Casserio doesn’t have the gravitas or the persuasion or manipulation skills to keep Cal at bay(if this is the case), then he will never be successful and neither will the Texans.

Whether or not trading the first round pick "fixes the problem" you absolutely trade up to get a potential probowl caliber player who was compared to Vonn Miller and Demarcus Ware. That's a risk I will take.

Now if you want to say WA should've been taken at 1.2 and use the traded picks for players , we agree.

Your my boy @steelbtexan and I love you for saying what you think no matter the consequences here...

But.

Are you saying expectations are to high when you demand a 10+ win season?

I'm confused. (Admittedly, it doesn't take much to get me that way.)
I said they should win 10 games if the OL stayed healthy, but would only win 6 because of Stroud's inexperience. The OL isn't healthy, so I think they are going to punt the 1st month of the season.

I didn't like the Stingley pick either. Lovie worked out both Sauce and Stingley and chose Stingley. My hope from the Stingley/Green draft is that while Caserio/Ryans are working together, Caserio will be able to tell Ryans, hey man we've got these 2 prospects rated about equal, lets go with the healthiest prospect.

The McNair's have always been meddlesome owners for different reasons. The Stroud pick was Hannah's attempt to fill NRG back up. (It worked) The Anderson pick was to placate Ryans. Agreed with the last sentence and it's one of the main reasons why the McNair's have never won anything and wont win anything significant as long as they own the team. This tradition has been carried on from Casserly/RS/BOB and now Caserio. Nothing has changed down on Kirby.

If Stroud by some chance of luck turns out to be a top 5 QB then the Texans will be a contender. I wouldn't bet on this.

I didn't like the Stingley pick either. Lovie worked out both Sauce and Stingley and chose Stingley. My hope from the Stingley/Green draft is that while Caserio/Ryans are working together, Caserio will be able to tell Ryans, hey man we've got these 2 prospects rated about equal, lets go with the healthiest prospect.

The McNair's have always been meddlesome owners for different reasons. The Stroud pick was Hannah's attempt to fill NRG back up. (It worked) The Anderson pick was to placate Ryans. Agreed with the last sentence and it's one of the main reasons why the McNair's have never won anything and wont win anything significant as long as they own the team. This tradition has been carried on from Casserly/RS/BOB and now Caserio. Nothing has changed down on Kirby.

If Stroud by some chance of luck turns out to be a top 5 QB then the Texans will be a contender. I wouldn't bet on this.
Personally I think the Will Anderson selection was a seat filler as well as Stroud. JC not QB I wanted but he was ranked top two by almost every site for a reason with WA not far behind and neither ranked that high because folks thought they would sell tickets.

I don't care who made those picks.. if they hit, give the 'picker' credit. If 7 and/or 51 miss, give 'em hell.
I want results even if the Texans call that trade guy badboy for his opinion.

Personally I think the Will Anderson selection was a seat filler as well as Stroud. JC not QB I wanted but he was ranked top two by almost every site for a reason with WA not far behind and neither ranked that high because folks thought they would sell tickets.

I don't care who made those picks.. if they hit, give the 'picker' credit. If 7 and/or 51 miss, give 'em hell.
I want results even if the Texans call that trade guy badboy for his opinion.
I wouldn't count on much good happening this season.

Hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

Back