Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Julian Edelman has failed his physical.............and has announced that he is retiring as a Patriot. He's always given his all............injuries finally caught up with him. Best wishes from here on out...........and on staying out of surgery and hospitals.:clap:
Sure fire way to detect mental illness? Seek those arguing that Julian Edelman should be in the Hall of Fame.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Sounds like the cap is going to go hella up.
Yup, you may remember when I posted in the thread about the salary cap some time ago that this was a huge possibility. My concern is only that there was no amount listed or even estimates. I think the NFL is using Covid to get rid of high dollar veterans.

There will be more cuts after draft and I feel there will be several more players that will be surprises to the average fan being cut.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member

Antonio Brown finally has done what he should have done months ago. He has resolved the lawsuit filed against him in September 2019 by Britney Taylor, who accused Brown of sexual assault and rape.
Although the trial of the Taylor lawsuit wasn’t due to begin until December 2021, Brown inevitably would have been questioned under oath in a pre-trial deposition. (No depositions had been taken in the case, yet.) Given the way he behaved during multiple depositions in a lawsuit against him filed after he trashed a luxury apartment in Miami, there’s a good chance that Brown would not have done well under questioning. And that could have created a very real complication for Brown’s ongoing football career.

Taylor worked for Brown as a personal trainer and alleged that Brown sexually assaulted her multiple times in 2017 and 2018. Brown was suspended for the first eight games of the 2020 season for multiple violations of the league’s Personal Conduct Policy.
bolded for my own need to get information on timeline of occurrence, to charges, to trial.

Boris

All Pro
The NFL will look more like college

was wondering why...

Kansas City didn't propose the rule change for purely aesthetic reasons, according to NBC Sports' Peter King, who first reported news of the proposal. The Chiefs reportedly ran into a shortage of available numbers in the 20–49 range last season, with Nos. 28, 33, 36 and 37 all retired by the franchise. With the newly expanded jersey ranges, franchises are unlikely to run into a similar issue at any point in the coming seasons.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Although the trial of the Taylor lawsuit wasn’t due to begin until December 2021, Brown inevitably would have been questioned under oath in a pre-trial deposition. (No depositions had been taken in the case, yet.) Given the way he behaved during multiple depositions in a lawsuit against him filed after he trashed a luxury apartment in Miami, there’s a good chance that Brown would not have done well under questioning. And that could have created a very real complication for Brown’s ongoing football career.

bolded for my own need to get information on timeline of occurrence, to charges, to trial.
Yeah, but did AB àak her to sit on it?

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
So the first three picks in the draft this year are QBs. Anyone wanna guess at how many of those three actually end up being worth the pick? I'd say the odds are 2 of the 3 won't be.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
, Colo. -- Denver Broncos right tackle Ja'Wuan James' injury-crossed career took another difficult turn Tuesday.

Team sources told ESPN that James suffered a torn Achilles tendon in a workout away from the Broncos' facility. The injury is considered season-ending, and James will have surgery to repair it.

Given James' injury occurred when he was not at the team's facility it could be classified as a "non-football injury" or NFI, and the Broncos would not be obligated to pay James his $9.85 million base salary.
And the NFLPA was recommending to its membership to work out at home or the like and thereby stay away from team facilities - so that advice cost this OT with Broncos 10 M $ !

badboy

Hall of Fame
, Colo. -- Denver Broncos right tackle Ja'Wuan James' injury-crossed career took another difficult turn Tuesday.

Team sources told ESPN that James suffered a torn Achilles tendon in a workout away from the Broncos' facility. The injury is considered season-ending, and James will have surgery to repair it.

Given James' injury occurred when he was not at the team's facility it could be classified as a "non-football injury" or NFI, and the Broncos would not be obligated to pay James his $9.85 million base salary.
And the NFLPA was recommending to its membership to work out at home or the like and thereby stay away from team facilities - so that advice cost this OT with Broncos 10 M $ !
Broncos just added 10 million dollars to their Aaron Rodgers go fund me

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Idiots

I dont normally root for players to get hurt, but I'm making an exception in this case. Last yr the quality of play went way down.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

MEMORANDUM
To: Chief Executives, Club Presidents, General Managers, Head Coaches
Date: May 5, 2021
Subject: Injuries Sustained Away From Club Facilities

The media recently reported that Denver Broncos player Ja'Wuan James suffered a significant, potentially season-ending injury while working out at a private gym, away from the club's facility. Mr. James' S 10 million Paragraph 5 Salary for the 2021 season was fully guaranteed for skill, injury and cap purposes. Several clubs have inquired about the contractual implications resulting from the fact that Mr. James sustained this season-ending injury while training away from the Broncos' facility.

Injuries sustained while a player is working out "on his own" in a location other than an NFL facility are considered "Non-Football Injuries" and are outside the scope of a typical skill, injury and cap guarantee. Such injuries are also not covered by the protections found in paragraph 9 of the NFL Player Contract, meaning that clubs have no contractual obligation to provide salary continuation during the year in which the injury was sustained.

By contrast, injuries sustained by a player while working out at a club facility or as specifically authorized by his club are considered "Football-Related Injuries." Under our agreement with the NFL Players Association, players that sustain "Football Related Injury" are entitled to significant protections, including: (i) payment of Paragraph 5 Salary; (ii) medical care; (iii) pension credit (if the player is unable to perform services for three regular season games due to the injury) and (iv) other benefits, such as Injury Protection, which will provide payments to players in seasons following the season of a career ending injury.

According to the media coverage, several players have expressed surprise that Mr. James' injury was not covered by his Injury Guarantee, although this point has been made frequently in our discussions with the NFLPA about the offseason program. Clubs are encouraged to remind players of the significant injury-related protection provided if they choose to work out at the club facility and the risks they undertake in choosing to train in non-NFL locations.

Please contact a member of the Management Council legal team if you have a question about the contents of this memorandum.

TLDR: NFLPA really dropped the ball on reinforcing this point with its players :toropalm:

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
Former NFL QB Colt Brennan found dead in a rehab facility. Just reported.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Tom Brady was reported earlier in the offseason as having undergone a "minor" surgery. If you remember, in 2008, Brady tore his ACL which he had repaired. But he also had a grade III tear of his MCL which required repair. This same left knee gave him problems requiring intense rehab attention measures throughout the 2nd half of last season. The Injury Reports did not reflect this. This recent surgery was far from minor, in that there was significant meniscus and articular cartilage damage encountered. Missing meniscus and articular cartilage is now consistent with a bone on bone condition. No doubt, he will try to play through it as long as he can. At this stage of his career, he is very unlikely to undergo the grueling surgery and rehab of microfracture surgery.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Tom Brady was reported earlier in the offseason as having undergone a "minor" surgery. If you remember, in 2008, Brady tore his ACL which he had repaired. But he also had a grade III tear of his MCL which required repair. This same left knee gave him problems requiring intense rehab attention measures throughout the 2nd half of last season. The Injury Reports did not reflect this. This recent surgery was far from minor, in that there was significant meniscus and articular cartilage damage encountered. Missing meniscus and articular cartilage is now consistent with a bone on bone condition. No doubt, he will try to play through it as long as he can. At this stage of his career, he is very unlikely to undergo the grueling surgery and rehab of microfracture surgery.
And has undoubtedly proved he doesn’t need knees to win.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
PFF Quarterback Rankings: All 32 starters ahead of the 2021 NFL season

1. PATRICK MAHOMES, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
2. TOM BRADY, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
3. AARON RODGERS, GREEN BAY PACKERS
4. RUSSELL WILSON, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
5. DESHAUN WATSON, HOUSTON TEXANS
6. JOSH ALLEN, BUFFALO BILLS
7. DAK PRESCOTT, DALLAS COWBOYS
8. LAMAR JACKSON, BALTIMORE RAVENS
9. MATT RYAN, ATLANTA FALCONS
10. BAKER MAYFIELD, CLEVELAND BROWNS
11. MATTHEW STAFFORD, LOS ANGELES RAMS
12. RYAN TANNEHILL, TENNESSEE TITANS
13. DEREK CARR, LAS VEGAS RAIDERS
14. KIRK COUSINS, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
15. JUSTIN HERBERT, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS
16. BEN ROETHLISBERGER, PITTSBURGH STEELERS
17. KYLER MURRAY, ARIZONA CARDINALS
18. JOE BURROW, CINCINNATI BENGALS
19. RYAN FITZPATRICK, WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM
20. DANIEL JONES, NEW YORK GIANTS
21. TREVOR LAWRENCE, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
22. JIMMY GAROPPOLO, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
23. CARSON WENTZ, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
24. JAMEIS WINSTON/TAYSOM HILL, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
25. JUSTIN FIELDS, CHICAGO BEARS
26. JARED GOFF, DETROIT LIONS
27.CAM NEWTON, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
28. SAM DARNOLD, CAROLINA PANTHERS
29. TUA TAGOVAILOA, MIAMI DOLPHINS
30. ZACH WILSON, NEW YORK JETS
31. JALEN HURTS, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
32. DREW LOCK, DENVER BRONCOS

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
PFF Quarterback Rankings: All 32 starters ahead of the 2021 NFL season

1. PATRICK MAHOMES, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
2. TOM BRADY, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
3. AARON RODGERS, GREEN BAY PACKERS
4. RUSSELL WILSON, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
5. DESHAUN WATSON, HOUSTON TEXANS
6. JOSH ALLEN, BUFFALO BILLS
7. DAK PRESCOTT, DALLAS COWBOYS
8. LAMAR JACKSON, BALTIMORE RAVENS
9. MATT RYAN, ATLANTA FALCONS
10. BAKER MAYFIELD, CLEVELAND BROWNS
11. MATTHEW STAFFORD, LOS ANGELES RAMS
12. RYAN TANNEHILL, TENNESSEE TITANS
13. DEREK CARR, LAS VEGAS RAIDERS
14. KIRK COUSINS, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
15. JUSTIN HERBERT, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS
16. BEN ROETHLISBERGER, PITTSBURGH STEELERS
17. KYLER MURRAY, ARIZONA CARDINALS
18. JOE BURROW, CINCINNATI BENGALS
19. RYAN FITZPATRICK, WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM
20. DANIEL JONES, NEW YORK GIANTS
21. TREVOR LAWRENCE, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
22. JIMMY GAROPPOLO, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
23. CARSON WENTZ, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
24. JAMEIS WINSTON/TAYSOM HILL, NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
25. JUSTIN FIELDS, CHICAGO BEARS
26. JARED GOFF, DETROIT LIONS
27.CAM NEWTON, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
28. SAM DARNOLD, CAROLINA PANTHERS
29. TUA TAGOVAILOA, MIAMI DOLPHINS
30. ZACH WILSON, NEW YORK JETS
31. JALEN HURTS, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
32. DREW LOCK, DENVER BRONCOS
Laughable

A former MVP Jackson
Allen

Ranked below DW4

Heck, give me Herbert and Stafford with McVay/Murray and if healthy Burrow too over DW4. Y'all know I think Tannehill is better.

Did somebody tell PFF that there's no telling how Dak is going to comeback from ankle surgery? Hopefully there will be a sucker GM out there that will read and believe this crap.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
David Irving has been released after a short stint on the Raiders PS.

What he said just before his 3rd suspension in 2019 should have been enough to tell teams to stay away.:

Irving himself vaguely addressed his pending suspension with an Instagram post on Monday night (h/t USA Today):

"I'm in the NFL because I'm great at what I do. I'm not in the NFL because I'm an Eagle Scout, or the perfect model citizen. I don't put on a mask or kiss ass to be where I am. I'm here on natural ability. This is God's plan. Not mine. Trust me, I'm adjusting to it as well.

"Once I step on the field and stop performing, THEN we have a problem...So does anyone have anything to say about my play?"

Evidently now he has a problem with both.....

Boris

All Pro

in one ear
out the other

TAMPA, Fla. -- Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady opted not to take part in the team's OTA practice Tuesday, instead opting to practice Monday with his veteran teammates at the New York Yankees' spring training complex across the street.
But the coach said he would prefer the players do those workouts at the team facility this year -- even offering them the opportunity to do it on their own -- in case of injury. Should a player suffer an injury away from team facilities, it could be classified as a non-football injury.

So far, however, those players have declined to use the team facility. On Monday, Brady was joined by Griffin, Giovani Bernard, Blaine Gabbert, Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Justin Watson, Rob Gronkowski, Cam Brate and Ronald Jones. Brady's longtime trainer, Alex Guerrero, was also present.

"Hopefully they'll change their mind," said Arians, who added that veterans will be present in two weeks for mandatory minicamp.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame

for the GM Wannabe types
2019 $188
2020 $198
2021 $182.5 covid adjusted
2022 $208.5

$16 m drop per team for 2021 then $26 m increase for 2022. Looks like covid didn't slow NFL as much as most thought.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
2019 $188
2020 $198
2021 $182.5 covid adjusted
2022 $208.5

$16 m drop per team for 2021 then $26 m increase for 2022. Looks like covid didn't slow NFL as much as most thought.
To go along with that

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Issue with Julio Jones is he has injuries that limit him in a way that has made his routes more predictable. When he said he wanted a 'big-armed QB', it's because his route tree is getting limited down to 9s and screens and jump balls. Tannehill doesn't have a 'big arm' but he can throw a decent deep ball.

We'll get the typical media blather but I don't think other front offices will be looking at this as a good deal for Tennessee, especially with them taking on all of Julio's $15M salary this year. I bet the Falcons are quietly celebrating this exchange. Texans got the 40th pick for Hopkins. Falcons will get ~57th or lower for Jones. (What's the difference? Well, if you need a whole new roster like we do: 7 fifth round picks or 10 sixth round picks or 25 seventh round picks.) Hopkins required a $27M per year extension. We'll see what Jones wants, he's on a $22M per year deal now. Might this be a Super Bowl or get-a-new-GM decision?

dream_team

Hall of Fame
First he is seen in the mall wearing a Cowboys hoodie which it didn’t appear to be a likely trade, and IMO insulting to the Falcons organization and fans. Now, the Titans can use him to strengthen their offense. Hopefully he won’t be enough to get them over the top.
Big question is how much does Julio have left in the tank? Titans lost Davis & Jonnu, so Julio is expected to replace their production.

At the end of the day, I don't see Julio really being a difference maker on this team. The defense will still suck, and the offense will still heavily rely on Henry.