Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

At this point, it doesn't matter what Case does now, even if he has a bad game and loses next week. The Vikings can franchise him, and then trade him or one of their other QBs for draft choices, because they sure as hell aren't going to keep all three of them.
Keenum is the only one of the three that is genuinely proven himself to be better than a good backup.
Bridgewater is about the same but seems injury prone and Keenum is better (more consistent) than Bradford so I think he's a keeper and starter until someone proves they are better.
Only if the Vikings win the Super Bowl, IMO.
What if he loses but is super competitive in a close game?
It would be difficult to black ball him against say, Brady.

Right now, of course. But next season is what we're talking about. Thorn said Case will be starting for some team next year. That's all fine and dandy but Deshaun Watson is a far superior talent compared to Case Keenum. We have the right quarterback in place is all I'm saying. What if the Texans had kept Case Keenum and he eventually thrived here? We wouldn't have Deshaun Watson.
I think that Cade will get his chance. Although if he had earned a spot with the Texans it would have been a feel good story, but don’t know if he would have accomplished here what he has done in Minnesota. I certainly have no regrets in drafting Watson, and in referring back to systems it seem that both are where they need to be. As for Case he could end up similar to Warner when considering that he was considered done until he landed in Arizona. I’m not comparing the two as much as I believe that sometimes there’s a set place a player needs to be to thrive.

Of Marcus Williams:

"The ball was in the air. I didn't go attack it. And he came down and made a great play, and that's just on me," said Williams, who lowered his head and shoulder and attempted to drive toward Diggs' leg -- though he whiffed completely -- instead of contesting the ball in the air or waiting to wrap up Diggs after the catch. "I just gotta be that guy and go up and get the ball. As a safety back there, you gotta be the eraser. And that was my job. ...

"I feel like I was a little early [on my launch toward Diggs]. But at that point, I just gotta make the tackle when he comes down. ... There's only 10 seconds left. I knew the situation. You gotta make sure you make the play. ...

"If the play happened different, I would just go attack the ball and make that play."
link

The mistake he made was when he lowered his head, he made the cardinal sin of dropping his eyes with it.............he had no idea where Diggs' body was. Taking your eyes off your target looking at the ground seldom teaches you anything and never ends well.

Of Marcus Williams:

link

The mistake he made was when he lowered his head, he made the cardinal sin of dropping his eyes with it.............he had no idea where Diggs' body was. Taking your eyes off your target looking at the ground seldom teaches you anything and never ends well.
There was still 4 seconds left when Diggs caught that ball.
Only a great tackle would have kept him (Diggs) in bound.
The Víkings can kick a FG to win it just the same.

In fact, the Vikings had missed a 47 yd FG in the first half; otherwise, it didn't even need to come down to this.
What about the block punt that gave the Saints the short field position?
What about the defense giving up all those points in the second half?

I thought the Saints got a few good breaks.
In the end, the Vikings deserve to win.
They outplayed the Saints overall.

Do your thing, Case! That's how you do it!!!!

commander_keenumm.0.gif

CK has had his Staubach/Pearson and Bradshaw/Harris moment in the NFL. What a throw, catch, missed tackle and TD accomplishment!!! CK and the Vikings deserved this win. I've been a CK endorser since he had his private workout with Kubiak which led to his UDFA contract. There's been a lot of doubters out there but he's secured his NFL future with the performance he's put on this season. If he's under center when the Vikings host "whomever" in the Super Bowl, I don't think they will let him leave Minnesota.

What I don't understand is why Bill O'Brien didn't see enough in Case Keenum to keep him around? He did win us two ballgames late in the season one year. He could have been a dependable backup and starter for us, too, especially when we really needed some solid quarterback play.

Bill O'Brien was on local radio a few minutes ago saying that he's happy for Keenum and thought he played well for us when he was here. He said Case Keenum put in the work and impressed him and the entire Texans coaching staff. But why didn't you keep him?

At any rate, O'Brien dodged any serious questions and mostly spent his time talking about how excited he is to work with Deshaun Watson for the foreseeable future. Bill O'Brien said he believes that Deshaun can become something special in this league and he can't wait to get back on the field in 2018. He said he talked with Deshaun Watson and J.J. Watt the other day and is confident both of them will be healthy and lead us to something special in 2018. I think he said 2018 about five or six times in the interview.

Bill O'Brien even said, "I plan to be coaching here in Houston for as long as my health permits. This is my team. This is my city." As if he wasn't even concerned with his newly signed four-year contract extension. He sounded like he may be here ten or fifteen years from now. LOL

Of Marcus Williams:
The crazy thing is if he doesn't knock down his own teammate like a bowling ball, that other Saints defender had the momentum and may have been able to tackle Diggs from behind because Diggs had to slow down to jump and make the catch.

In fact, after watching the play over 1,000 times in slow motion. I can just about guarantee the guy from behind would have made the tackle if Marcus Williams didn't knock him down. LOL

It's just so stupid really! Why isn't Marcus Williams just flat footed and waiting for Diggs to make the catch? Why was he launching like that in the first place? He should be making sure Diggs makes the catch in that situation and then tackle him right away. Heck, the guy coming from behind was in position to make the tackle as well. Marcus Williams would have been better off just waiting for the play to come to him instead of forcing the action and whiffing like that.

Last edited:
There was still 4 seconds left when Diggs caught that ball.
Only a great tackle would have kept him (Diggs) in bound.
The Víkings can kick a FG to win it just the same.

In fact, the Vikings had missed a 47 yd FG in the first half; otherwise, it didn't even need to come down to this.
What about the block punt that gave the Saints the short field position?
What about the defense giving up all those points in the second half?

I thought the Saints got a few good breaks.
In the end, the Vikings deserve to win.
They outplayed the Saints overall.

I did a frame-by-frame of that play. Diggs was 3-4 yds from the sideline (and in the air). It would not have required a "great tackle." Had Williams kept his eyes on his target and kept his feet and performed a classic wrap around tackle which he should have done, he was in perfect position to have easily brought him down in bounds and have the clock run out. A "no tackle" ASSURED no chance of keeping him in bounds.

I did a frame-by-frame of that play. Diggs was 3-4 yds from the sideline (and in the air). It would not have required a "great tackle." Had Williams kept his eyes on his target and kept his feet and performed a classic wrap around tackle which he should have done, he was in perfect position to have easily brought him down in bounds and have the clock run out. A "no tackle" ASSURED no chance of keeping him in bounds.
Agreed. I don't think Diggs is able to get out of bounds. There's a high probability the tackle is made, either from the defender coming from behind or from Marcus Williams in front of him, in bounds.

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter 2 minutes ago
Titans and head coach Mike Mularkey mutually agreed to part ways this morning, league source tells @FieldYates

Figures. I honestly didn't think the Titans were all that good. Sure, they got lucky and made the playoffs because Deshaun Watson's season-ending injury. We spanked the overrated Titans, 57-14, with relative ease, with Deshaun putting up 5 Touchdowns on them.

OB has no clue on QBs.

Put aside the abject failure here, his crowning achievement (who some wanted here) Hackenberg has thrown 0 NFL passes because he's barely hanging on to a team with a never has been 38 year old QB. Their punter has more passing attempts.
You're right. Thank goodness Rick Smith traded up for Deshaun Watson. His last partying gift that may have saved Bill O'Brien's job. Now O'Brien has job security thanks to Deshaun Watson. The two seem like the perfect partnership. They had the #1 scoring offense in the league for an exciting month and that was with this so-called weak offensive line.

They looked unstoppable, at times, on offense. Nearly resulting in two huge road wins against the Patriots and Seahawks. Hopefully O'Brien can improve his late-game playcalling when we have the lead in a hostile environment. A Lamar Miller run up the gut won't work on 3rd and 1!

I see some great potential with Bill O'Brien coaching Deshaun Watson in the future. With more trust and experience with each other, I think the two can win a Super Bowl or two together. The future is bright there.

Very excited about the Houston Texans for many years to come!
Just sucks right now because it's another early off-season for us.

My favorites...

Brandon King

✔@BrandonKing4787

Y’all please pray for 43 man.... wtf.... he can’t come back to New Orleans period that was pathetic

7:12 PM - Jan 14, 2018

Kavon Frazier

✔@Kay_BlackSimba

#43 gotta stay off social media for awhile....

7:36 PM - Jan 14, 2018

Duke Williams

✔@Duke27_

Not only did 43 miss the tackle, he took out his own teammate who could’ve made that play..

7:16 PM - Jan 14, 2018

Jody Breeze

✔@Blafell1

43 must got paid!!!! Check his account #NOvsMIN

7:09 PM - Jan 14, 2018 · Missouri City, TX

You're right. But you need to be able to pick well........enough talent that a coach can develop...........whether it's in the 1st round or the UDFA pool

Which they did when running ZBS.

Note I said "they" as we don't know who.

Maybe RS is incompetent for a power scheme. I don't think it is not caring about OL because he was part of building a great one. Charlie Casserly on his way out made a comment about getting the coaches what they wanted (many took as a veiled reference to Babin) and that he knew 4-3 guys but identifying 3-4 guys was new to him.

I know a good GM should be able to find people for any scheme. Everyone has a learning curve. RS got trained on OL by the greatest ZBS coach around. Who's he had bending his ear for power?

Devlin was a Ferentz OLmen. His NFL schtick is conversion from ZBS to power. This is how Brent Guacamole ended up a Texan - link.

I don't think so.

Foremost of all, one was trained to take an outside angle to keep the receiver in bound.

To keep the receiver in bound with a normal angle in this case is very tough.

The momentum will take the receiver out of bound.

I strongly believe that people tend to make that DB a sacrificing goat.

It's not that easy to make that play.

I don't think so.

Foremost of all, one was trained to take an outside angle to keep the receiver in bound.

To keep the receiver in bound with a normal angle in this case is very tough.

The momentum will take the receiver out of bound.

I strongly believe that people tend to make that DB a sacrificing goat.

It's not that easy to make that play.
It's like one says, hey, that play is going to go right there.

Come and wait for it.

It's obnoxious, IMHO.

It's like one says, hey, that play is going to go right there.

Come and wait for it.

It's obnoxious, IMHO.
I don't know man. In that situation you've got to play smart and make that tackle. At the very least make contact with Diggs and don't allow a game-winning Touchdown like that. Even if he goes out of bounds, okay, they can still miss a pressure-packed field goal, a bad snap or blocked field goal, you still haven't lost the game.

The main problem I have was the defender behind Diggs was about to make a tackle from behind before Marcus Williams knocked his own teammate down. He may as well have been Digg's best blocker taking out a guy coming from behind.

Jeff Fischer watched them both wonder through the team to somewhere else, I'm not sure that either helped or hindered them.

It was a joke but...

The starts helped Keenum for sure. Anyone who thinks we let Keenum get away doesn’t factor in that he got to game plan and play against NFL teams while with others, namely ours, he would have sat on the bench and not been nearly the player he is now.

And to further add to that point a good offensive line allows your QB to make plays. It’s rare to find a QB able to make plays behind a bad offensive line.

Keenum got the starts + got a good offensive line to play behind = success

If you are a Keenum fan be thankful he didn’t stay a Texan.

Case is a guy who kept working his ass off and learned to play this game. That and a little luck to get the opportunity, has him where he's at. Even when he was 0-8 here, he showed flashes. Still wasn't very good, but I could see the improvement in his game from his 1st camp to the next one and thought he could be a decent backup at the very least, if he kept that up.

I don't know what OB saw to make him want to keep Savage over him, because I've never seen flashes from Savage, but then OB's track record with QBs hasn't been much. And I'm still not convinced that OB has got it figured out with Watson more than it's Watson's superior athleticism making it all work.

I don't know if Case will ever become a top half/2nd tier type QB in this league...I guess it depends a lot on where he ends up next year, but he's definitely got a long career as a top backup and quality fill in starter.

And just for shits and giggles, in Case's 1st 38 starts, he's 20-18, 61.9% completion percentage, 46 TD, 27 INT, 7.0 Y/A, 86.0 passer rating, with 1 playoff win.

1st 39 starts for Steve Young, 15-24, 58% completion percentage, 51 TD, 35 INT, 7.6 Y/A, 84.3 passer rating, 0 playoff wins.

Sometimes it either takes a minute to get going, or falling into the right situation, or both.

Jaguars executive says “we’ll see” about an NFL franchise in London
Posted by Michael David Smith PFT on January 17, 2018, 8:32 AM EST

When the Jaguars committed to playing a “home” game in London every year, there was speculation that they might be setting the table for moving the franchise there permanently. That speculation has largely disappeared as the Jacksonville fan base has supported the team so well that this year the infamous tarps were removed for the playoffs.

But Jaguars senior vice president Hussain Naqi still believes an NFL franchise in London is worth considering.

“The UK and London is an amazing market potential,” Naqi told the UK-based Sky Sports. “The fans have shown that they have a great deal of support, whether that means a full-time franchise down the road, we’ll see. But certainly there is a lot of support and the trajectory is going in the right direction.”

The NFL has already announced its three London games for 2018 and has said there will be four games there in 2019 and likely beyond. But that’s a long way from putting a team in London for eight games a year, every year, and expecting American players and coaches to make it their permanent home base. A franchise in London appears to be a long way off and may never happen but league officials continue to be bullish on the future of American football in London.

Steelers WR Eli Rogers tore his ACL near the end of Sunday's playoff loss to the Jaguars..................#49 since the beginning of TC / #51 since the beginning of the League year.

Man, this is crazy. I'm here in Malta and decided to scan the channels on TV and had to jump over to German channels and stumbled onto the game. I get to see the game while my wife sleeps but I've got to listen to it in German.....and i don't understand German.

Key drive for Jacksonville.
8 minutes left and leading by 3.
You don't want to give Brady anything.

Key drive for Jacksonville.
8 minutes left and leading by 3.
You don't want to give Brady anything.
The Jags need 7 on this drive.

Edit: So much for that. Now is the time the much balley-hooed Jacksonville defense needs a turnover.

Query: Has Jacksonville blitzed Brady at all this game?

Last edited:
Back