Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Sad case. Evidently, no safety.

Ex-Colts RB Zurlon Tipton dead from own accidental gun shot
By Eric Edholm June 28, 2016 4:18 PM

Former Indianapolis Colts running back Zurlon Tipton is reportedly dead at the age of 26. According to Fox 2 in Detroit, Tipton accidentally shot and killed himself at a car dealership in Roseville, Mich.

The Wayne County Medical Examiner identified the victim as Tipton, who drove to the dealership Tuesday morning, reportedly to bring his vehicle in for service and pulled out a duffel bag containing two guns. One of the guns went off and, according to police, Tipton was shot in the stomach.

Although he reported to the hospital in good condition and was expected to survive, his conditioned worsened quickly and he later died. A full autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday. No one else was hurt in the accident.

Tipton played for the Colts in 2014 and 2015, with 15 rushes for 28 yards and 11 receptions for 125 yards and a touchdown catch over 16 career games. He was from nearby Sterling Heights and played in college at Central Michigan before getting his chance in the NFL with the Colts.

The Colts expressed their sorrow on Twitter after Tipton’s death was reported.

Our thoughts are with the Tipton family during this difficult time. #RIPZurlon pic.twitter.com/QCLCCY5eqI

— Indianapolis Colts (@Colts) June 28, 2016

Just before last Christmas, Tipton was arrested for allegedly firing a weapon in Greenwood, Ind. Police found a loaded 9mm handgun and a loaded Colt AR-15 assault rifle in Tipton’s car at the time. He had been released shortly before that incident last December.

Former Colts teammate Donte Moncrief, who played with him part of last season, expressed his condolences for Tipton.

Name Pos. Team Amount
Andrew Luck QB Colts $87M
Eli Manning QB Giants $65M
Philip Rivers QB Chargers $65M
Ben Roethlisberger QB Steelers $64M
Fletcher Cox DL Eagles $63.3M
Joe Flacco QB Ravens $62M
Russell Wilson QB Seahawks $61.5M
Colin Kaepernick QB 49ers $61M
Marcell Dareus DT Bills $60M
Cam Newton QB Panthers $60M
Ndamukong Suh DT Lions $60M
Matt Ryan QB Falcons $59M
Drew Brees QB Saints $55M
Tony Romo QB Cowboys $55M
Aaron Rodgers QB Packers $54M
Jay Cutler QB Bears $54M

Source: ESPN Stats & Information

Suddenly, I'm not feeling like we over paid.

I think someone is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally confident that Luck's bad year isn't going to repeat itself.

I think someone is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally confident that Luck's bad year isn't going to repeat itself.

His doctors.

One of his injuries would concern me over his others. The subluxation (partial dislocation) of his shoulder can be a very unpredictable condition. The shoulder took a hard hit to displace the humerus the first time, but it may not take quite so hard a blow to separate the humerus "ball" from its socket the next time. Even when the bone returns to the socket on its own, the supporting tissues that are there to stabilize the joint will become weaker, and will maintain some weakness despite the best rehab efforts. This can become a chronic recurrent problem............each time increasing the risk of another until the joint becomes so unstable that major surgery becomes the only effective alternative. The Colts OL better protect Luck with their lives because opposing teams will be aiming for that shoulder with plans to bury it in the turf given any opportunity they are afforded.

NFL posts the 2016 rule book online, for some
July 4, 2016, 9:42 AM EDT

Before you complain about the officials this season, you’ll want to make sure you actually know the rules. Fortunately, the NFL has published the entire 217-page rule book online. Unfortunately, it’s only accessible to those of us with media access.

Although the league should make the rule book available publicly to fans, we’ll summarize for you the most noteworthy part of the rule book, which is on Page 2, where it identifies the changes to the rules this year. Those include:

1. It is now a delay of game penalty if a team is erroneously granted a timeout.

2. The offensive and defensive play callers can use the coach-to-helmet communications system regardless of whether the coach is in the booth or on the sideline.

3. There is no longer a five-yard penalty for illegally touching a pass after being out of bounds and then re-establishing inbounds, but it is a loss of down.

4. The line of scrimmage for extra point kicks is permanently the 15-yard line.

5. Touchbacks on kickoffs are now moved to the 25-yard line.

6. All chop blocks are illegal.

7. The horse-collar tackle rule now includes a defender grabbing the jersey at the name plate or above.

8. A player who gets two fouls for certain kinds of unsportsmanlike conduct is automatically ejected.

9. Multiple spots of enforcement for a double foul after a change of possession have been eliminated.

The quality will remain the same. :chef:
Only one of 122 NFL officials won’t be back in 2016
July 7, 2016, 12:50 PM EDT

When announcing its official roster of 124 officials for 2016, the NFL specifically pointed out that all 17 referees will return. Although the announcement also names three new officials who will be joining the overall workforce for the coming year, there was no mention of anyone who won’t be back.

With 122 officials last year and 124 last year, the addition of three new officials means that one is leaving (#math). Per a source with knowledge of the situation, head linesman George Hayward has retired.

The league doesn’t provide details as to why a given official has left. That’s a product of the push-and-pull between the league and the NFL Referees Association, which as part of its duty to represent the interests of all officials tries to minimize or eliminate any public embarrassment of them — except when the executive director of the union decides to call them out publicly for decisions made or not made during a given game.

2016 rule book includes new ejection provision

On the Friday before the Super Bowl, Commissioner Roger Goodell suggested a rule that triggers an automatic ejection when a player commits two personal fouls. In March, the owners adopted a rule that didn’t really reflect what Goodell wanted.

The 2016 rule book includes the precise language of the new provision. Specifically, a player will be ejected if he commits before or during the same game any of the following twice: (a) throwing a punch, or a forearm, or kicking at an opponent, even though no contact is made; (b) using abusive, threatening, or insulting language or gestures to opponents, teammates, officials, or representatives of the League; (3) using baiting or taunting acts or words that engender ill will between teams.

For all other forms of unsportsmanlike conduct, the two-violation rule doesn’t apply. However, the 2016 rulebook contains language that removes any and all ambiguity regarding the consequences arising from making contact with game officials.

“Under no circumstance is an official to allow a player to shove, push, or strike him in an offensive, disrespectful, or unsportsmanlike manner,” the rule book states. “The player shall be disqualified from the game, and any such action must be reported to the Commissioner.”

The prior rule book didn’t include the mandatory “shall,” which gave officials as a practical matter some discretion. There is no discretion of any kind now; when a player shoves, pushes, or strikes an official in an offensive, disrespectful, or unsportsmanlike way, he must be ejected.

This early announcement is a head scratcher.
Doug Pederson: Having Wentz inactive probably direction we’re headed
by Josh Alper on July 17, 2016, 8:43 AM EDT

When the Eagles traded up to the No. 2 pick of the draft to select quarterback Carson Wentz, it made the rookie the obvious choice as the team’s quarterback of the future.

With Sam Bradford and Chase Daniel already on the roster, the future doesn’t need to start now and the presence of those two veteran quarterbacks led to discussion about whether Wentz will even be part of the active roster on Sundays this fall. There’s still training camp and the preseason to sort things out, but coach Doug Pederson says that Wentz on the inactive list is likely the way things stand right now.

“Typically, the third quarterback is down,” Pederson said, via Jimmy Kempski of PhillyVoice. “It’s hard right now to look down the road, but if we had to play this week, Carson would be down. He’d be the third quarterback. He’d be deactivated. That’s probably the direction we’re heading, I would think is going that route. Obviously barring injury and, as you know, how this game is, but typically the third quarterback, whoever that is, is down on game day.”

The Eagles held onto Bradford because they didn’t want to rush Wentz into the lineup and they signed Daniel to give themselves an experienced backup option, which makes it little surprise that they’ll go the patient route with a player who they hope is a fixture in Philly for years to come.

With the money they have in Bradford & Daniels, I don't th8nk this is much of a surprise at all.

Just like any other team though, I expect to see Wentz if the Eagles don't start well, relative to their division. If they're 2-6 & Dallas & Washington are 6-2, Wentz will be starting before the year is over.

Last edited:
With the money they have in Bradford & Daniels, I don't th8nk this is much of a surprise at all.

Just like any other team though, I expect to see Wentz if the Rams don't start well, relative to their division. If they're 2-6 & Seattle & Arizona are 6-2, Wentz will be starting before the year is over.
I think you got Goff and Wentz mixedup but point taken if the Eagles start slow

Jaguars kick tires on Greg Hardy
July 21, 2016, 7:28 PM EDT

Ray Rice wants back in to the NFL, but his skills aren’t sufficiently unique. Greg Hardy’s apparently still are.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, free-agent defensive end Greg Hardy spent the last two days visiting with and working out for the Jaguars.

Hardy, who spent last season with the Cowboys, has become a notorious figure in league circles, due to his May 2014 domestic violence incident and ensuing suspension and some of his behavior during his only season in Dallas. His efforts to find new employment since becoming a free agent in March had, to date, been unsuccessful.

The Jaguars have been compiling talented players on both sides of the ball, and the football operation realizes that time is running short to become a true contender. With Hardy in the rotation at pass rusher in a division with quarterbacks like Andrew Luck, Marcus Mariota, and Brock Osweiler, the Jacksonville defense could be improved.

The move isn’t without P.R. risk, and the reaction locally and nationally to the news of the flirtation with Hardy could influence whether he’s signed. Is the criticism is loud and widespread, they may back away. If the news comes and goes without a major fracas or brouhaha, maybe they’ll roll the dice.

But if the goal is to win games and if coach Gus Bradley believes he can manage Hardy and if the organization is willing to take the heat for giving Hardy his latest second chance, Hardy could be getting a chance to earn a roster spot during training camp and the preseason.

Kevin Seifert NFL Nation @ESPN

NFL/NFLPA agreement to enforce concussion protocol with fines and possible loss of draft picks is an appropriate response to the 2015 incident involving Rams QB Case Keenum, who was left in a game despite a hit that left him staggering. Mistakes happen, but protocol must be followed.

NFL, NFLPA establish a Field Surface and Performance Committee
July 27, 2016, 6:22 AM EDT

Buried at the bottom of Monday’s joint league-union press release announcing a new procedure for enforcing the concussion protocol was a list of other agreements reached by the NFL and NFL Players Association.

Peter King of TheMMQB.com noticed one that otherwise has gone unnoticed. Here’s the key language from the release: “This offseason the NFL and NFLPA established the Field Surface & Performance Committee, a joint committee to provide advice and guidance regarding the safety, performance and testing of non-NFL game day and practice surfaces. The new committee will perform research and advise the parties on injury prevention, improved testing methods, and the adoption of tools and techniques to evaluate and improve field surface performance and playability.”

King notes that, as part of the agreement, the NFLPA’s designated field consultant “will be granted equal access to all NFL playing fields and field test results,” which expressly includes “non-traditional venues (e.g., London, Mexico City, Hall of Fame Game).”

The union has been concerned for several years about the quality of the playing surfaces, but the union hasn’t had an equal seat at the table. It now does.

The agreement extends beyond the actual playing surface, which as Reggie Bush learned the hard way in St. Louis last year can create separate problems. By the eighth game of the 2016 season (and ideally sooner), all stadiums hosting NFL games must have “standard safety wall padding and a surface surrounding the field that is safe for players.”

It’s unclear why Monday’s press release didn’t make a bigger deal of this agreement, which arguably is as significant as the development of a joint procedure for enforcing the concussion protocol. At a time when a perception exists that the league and the union can’t get along, any evidence that they are putting their differences aside and working together for the best interest of players should be trumpeted loudly, so that the media, fans, and especially the players know what’s happening.

Fitzpatrick for $12M. Going once...

I think it was pretty cool for his teammates to hold out of OTAs to support him. I think he should get more money as well. More than the $7M they were offering. But I think he should jump on the $12M guaranteed. Maybe add a few escalators, like $1M if he throws less than 9 INTs. $2M if they make the playoffs. $1M for every win over 11.

But he's got to realize he's not a spring chicken & the Jets are planning on moving on without him.

As long as they're in the playoff race, he'll be their QB & he'll get paid. & it's obvious they believe Fitzpatrick Fitz might help them win. He could probably squeeze a bit more out of them, but how much & is it worth it?

Fitzpatrick has signed a one-year, $12 million contract today.

Sports Illustrated Verified account ‏@SInow

Aaron Hernandez's crime. His brother's pain, perspective and new life. http://on.si.com/Hernandez

CocsarCW8AAIg0R.jpg

Multiple suspensions expose Cowboys, Steelers to major fines
July 28, 2016, 9:58 AM EDT

Nearly a decade ago, the NFL crafted a policy aimed at promoting good player behavior by requiring teams to surrender a portion of a suspended player’s lost salary as a fine, if multiple players are suspended in a given year.

In 2013, the then-five-year-old policy likely cost the Seahawks more than $60,000 for a trio of suspensions to offensive lineman Allen Barbre, safety Winston Guy, and cornerback Brandon Browner. The Rams likely faced a similar problem in 2013, due to multiple player suspensions.

As noted by Adam Schefter of ESPN.com, the policy that was first applied to the Cowboys in 2008 will be applied to them again, given the suspensions of Randy Gregory, Demarcus Lawrence, and Rolando McClain. The policy as currently written requires in the event of three suspensions the payment of 25 percent of the collective forfeited base salary to the league, with a maximum payment of $250,000.

With Gregory due to make $608,406 in 2016, Lawrence on the books this year for $920,604, and McClain owed $1.25 million, the Cowboys easily got to the $250,000 ceiling. (Absent the limit, they would have owed 25 percent of $1.095 million, or $273,750.) If another player is suspended, the Cowboys will be required to cough up a full third of the lost wages for each suspended player.

The Steelers could be facing a similar problem, with the full-season suspension of Martavis Bryant and the looming suspension of running back Le’Veon Bell. The policy requires the forfeiture of 15 percent of the lost salary when two players are suspended. With Bryant due to make $600,000 this year (he’ll lose all of it) and Bell slated to earn $966,900 (he’ll lose $235,294 if the suspension is upheld), 15 percent of the lost salary equates to $125,294.

“It’s obviously so important to us in drafting guys with the right character but sometimes things happen that are unforeseen,” Cowboys COO Stephen Jones said earlier this year. “Right now, I totally get that it may not look like it in terms of the mishaps we’ve had here, but it’s certainly very important to us and something we’ll continue to evaluate and try to be better.”

Ultimately, giving up a chunk of the salary that otherwise won’t be paid won’t deter teams from taking risks on players who may be predisposed to engaging in behavior that could get them suspended or provide an even stronger incentive to keep troubled players out of trouble. To get the attention of teams, they must face the potential loss of draft picks.

Previously, the possibility has been considered in connection with multiple violations of the Personal Conduct Policy. That idea never went anywhere. If the league truly wants to reduce suspensions under all policies, that’s the best (and perhaps only) way to do it.

Not sure how much of a deterrent this policy will end up being. Salary cap is at what, $155+ mil and going up? And the Cowboys might have to forfeit $125K. That's not even 1 percent. Hit the offending teams with losses of draft picks instead of some meager percentage of the monies they were already prepared to shell out. Maybe then their front offices will be more selective regarding character which, hopefully, will make some of these knuckleheads realize that they're risking the loss of millions with their knuckleheaded acts.

Reactions: JB
In regards to suspensions, wouldn't the teams not pay the players for being suspended and thus the fine is really a moot point?

Junior Galette just tore his right Achilles..............after tearing his left Achilles last year. As I've posted before, opposite Achilles tear is all too common.

In regards to suspensions, wouldn't the teams not pay the players for being suspended and thus the fine is really a moot point?
That was my point. Instead of having to pay the whole salary, teams just pay this fine plus the salary of the replacement dude. I think they're getting off cheap.

The Cowboys are brimming with Mensa players. Linebacker Damien Wilson was placed on the physically unable to perform list after he was shot in the eye with a paintball during the break between minicamp and training camp. He is expected to miss at least 2-3 weeks of TC.

The Cowboys are brimming with Mensa players. Linebacker Damien Wilson was placed on the physically unable to perform list after he was shot in the eye with a paintball during the break between minicamp and training camp. He is expected to miss at least 2-3 weeks of TC.
The couple of times I played paintball they gave all of us goggles...
I hope they dock his damn pay

It's incredibly fun. Don't get shot.

Last time I went I was still using my old pump gun. Everyone looked at me like I was crazy. Very distinct sound. And then in between games the guy who owned the place was "I hear that gun and then I hear "I'm out."" Volume isn't what wins. Accuracy is.

There was a guy one day, showed up in one of those puffy vests. He's trying to play the it has to break on you rule. I told my team he was mine and he was going down with a nut shot (ok it was 3 - in fairness I was using blue paint in the trees and he was slow saying he was hit). I suspect he didn't wear that vest again.

Love paintball. Not the blowup inflatable kind. In the woods.

So it punishes you a little when you f'k up. That's wrong?

I'm posting this in response to questions I've been asked about what injury did NT Ian Williams sustain in order to end up on Reserve/Non Football Injury list, thus missing the entire 2016 season. Does this mean that he had a motorcycle injury or was he injured while playing basketball. Although following last season ended with an ankle surgery, his rehab has gone at a snail's place. Because once operated upon he is no longer technically considered injured, just recovering from a surgery. And if he is not ready to play and not expected to be productive for a significant portion or all of the upcoming season, he can be placed on the Reserve/Non Football Injury list.

I think Ryan Fitzpatrick is a wonderful NFL story. One of those that makes me proud of the NFL.

No doubt, graduating from Harvard he was not going to scrapping by if his dream didn't work out, but he had a dream worked his butt off, never gave up, even after multiple set backs after having thought he made it.

7th round pick, earned a starter's job a couple of times. Benched. Earned a starter's contract. Cut. Made starter a couple more times, cut a couple of times, traded... earned starter.... dissed, then the man caves & he got paid.

I love this game & I watch a lot. I root for very few individuals outside of my team. But I'm rooting g for Fitz. Maybe because of the short amount of time he was here & the way he earned respect as a football player, a leader, a man.

I'd really like to see him make it to the playoffs. I'd really like to see him win a playoff game. & I'd really like to see someone offer him at least another 1 year deal without him having to go through the ordeal he had to go through this year.

Go Fitzmagic

This extremely unusual injury deserve a case report in the orthopedic surgical literature.

NFL Rumor Central: Steve Smith's Achilles injury was a double rupture
AP Photo/Nick Wass
Jul 29, 2016

As if returning from a ruptured Achilles at age 37 isn't tough enough, it appears Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Steve Smith Sr. has a steeper climb than most.

In a feature by Bleacher Report's Dan Pompei, Smith revealed that his injury last November was a double rupture of the Achilles tendon, the first such injury ever seen by his surgeon, renowned orthopedist Robert Anderson. Smith's wife, Angie, told Pompei that photos taken during surgery showed what looked like "raw, shredded chicken."

Per Pompei, Smith's recovery after surgery was extremely painful, prompting the use of Oxycontin for "about 12 days." Smith says he started having withdrawal symptoms the day he stopped taking it.

In the feature, Smith peeled back the curtain a bit about his rehab, including moments where he wondered, "Why am I doing this? I don't have anything to prove to anybody." The muscle in his right calf has atrophied so much that he calls it "the calf you can feed for 36 cents a day."

No one expected the 15-year veteran's recovery to be easy, but hearing some of the gory details helps put the challenge facing him in perspective. According to Pompei, Smith "probably will sit out most, if not all" of training camp, and ESPN's Jamison Hensley adds that Smith won't be rushed back and isn't expected to play in the preseason.

Smith didn't put a timetable on his return when asked about it in June, but he did emphasize the importance of working himself back in increments: "I just know I have to be able to do something in training camp to be able to play for the season. That's just the way I operate. I can't go from doing absolutely nothing [and] sitting on my butt for all of training camp and then go out there and play."

With that in mind, it wouldn't be a surprise if Smith misses a few regular-season games as he tries to regain his form. But he won't want to sit out too long -- last month, Smith stressed the importance of reaching a few statistical milestones before retirement. He needs 39 receptions to crack 1,000 for his career and just 68 receiving yards to eclipse 14,000.

Smith is 51st in ESPN's fantasy WR rankings with a projected stat line of 58.2 catches, 816.3 receiving yards and 4.1 touchdowns.

Back