Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Are NFL chain crews finally on their way out?
This quote from the article just shows how people try to get clicks without really having much substance.

"The Next Gen Stats technology doesn't necessarily translate directly to spotting the ball, which involves multiple factors, including when and where a player's knee, elbow or otherwise determined body part is ruled down. But it does suggest that the NFL can do better than its longtime use of guesswork spotting and chain crews."

If the damn technology does not know when the player is down how is it going to take the human factor out of the game? If you have a chain exactly 10 yards long & the ball is spotted by a human being how is a laser or whatever exactly 10 yards when the ball is still spotted by a human being any better?

I may be wrong but I watched a lot of games last season & I don't remember that many times the refs had to bring the chains onto the field to measure for a first down.

:toropalm: :toropalm: :toropalm:

Lawyer: Ariel Young’s family is “horrified” by the commutation of Britt Reid’s sentence
By Mike Florio
Published March 2, 2024 07:56 PM

On Friday, Missouri governor Mike Parsons commuted the sentence of former Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid. On Saturday, the family of the five-year-old girl who was seriously injured in an accident caused by Reid while he was legally impaired sounded off.

Via Emily Shugerman of The Daily Beast, the attorney representing the the parents of Ariel Young said the family is “horrified” by the development.

“The family is disgusted, I am disgusted, and I believe . . . that the majority of the people in the state of Missouri are disgusted by the governor’s actions,” lawyer Tom Porto told Shugerman.

“If you drink and drive and you put a little girl in a coma… you should have to serve the entire sentence that a judge of this state gave you.”

Ariel Young’s mother, Felicia Miller, provided a statement through Porto: “How would the governor feel if this was his daughter? . . . It seems the laws don’t apply equally to the haves and have nots. The haves get favors. The have nots serve their sentence.”

Reid, the son of Chiefs head coach Andy Reid, will be on house arrest through October 31, 2025. He has been released from prison well before his three-year sentence expired.

This is getting a little ridiculous.....onside kicks are not dangerous.

Say goodbye to the surprise onside kick, potentially
By Mike Florio
Published March 3, 2024 03:09 PM

Three weeks ago today, Kyle Shanahan had a chance to make history. Before the surprise onside kick became history.

In the aftermath of the kick-receive-defer decision after the 49ers won the coin toss to start overtime against the Chiefs, we suggested the possibility of choosing to kick — and of unleashing a Sean Payton in Super Bowl LIV-style surprise onside kick.

To little surprise, the effort to make the kickoff into a relevant play possibly will include the extinction of the surprise onside kick.

Per multiple reports, the proposal that the Competition Committee is finalizing will require a team attempting an onside kick to declare its intention to do so in advance.

It’s the sacrifice that might have to be made to allow the NFL to balance health/safety concerns against the kickoff becoming nothing more than an automatic touchback.

Still, it’s a shame that one of the most thrilling plays in football might be scrapped. That’s why we (or at least I) continue to be intrigued by the kickoff being replaced by a fourth-and-long scrimmage play, from which the kicking team/offense can punt or go for it or do a fake punt or a pooch punt or whatever it chooses. It keeps the element of surprise in the game.
Here’s the problem. Too many non-football people in the league office are more concerned about liability and P.R. than the game. Yes, it’s dangerous to play pro football. People still play it. The idea of carving out the surprise onside kick in the name of protecting players from risks they’re willing to assume won’t sit well with plenty of people.

I get it. They want to make the game safer. But when making the game safer fundamentally changes the game, that’s a problem.

The looming kicking proposal will become the first safety-related rule that eliminates one of the things that periodically made football very exciting.
If the NFL goes too far with rules changes that change the game, it will risk inviting a competing league. One that will play in the fall. One that will play football the way the NFL used to. I’m amazed it hasn’t happened yet.

Maybe someone who is sitting on a mountain of cash but who can’t buy an NFL team should think about it. An Old-School Football League. Plenty would hate it. Plenty would love it. And the NFL would have good reason to fear it.

Potential 20 game season with no preseason???,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,dilution of talent and dilution of preparation. Sounds like a great plan!

There’s a lingering sense the NFL still wants to get to 18 regular-season games
By Mike Florio
Published March 3, 2024 12:05 PM

When immersed within the NFL universe for multiple days, you pick up a few things. Here’s one thing I picked up this time around.

The push to 18 regular-season games hasn’t been abandoned, health and safety concerns be damned.

The first hint of it came when Browns G.M. Andrew Berry explained on PFT Live that Cleveland and other teams are proposing a delay of the trade deadline by 14 days, from the Tuesday after Week 8 to the Tuesday after Week 10. Berry said that one week was aimed at accounting for the extra week created by the 17th regular-season game — and that the second week was in anticipation of further expansion of the regular season, to 18 games.
That happened on Tuesday. In talking to folks after that, I mentioned Berry’s plan, with the anticipation of another game. The reaction was, basically, “Yeah. That’s coming.”

It likely won’t come until the next labor deal. And the league will likely have the same determination then that it had four years ago, when it was clear that the league wanted an extra game badly enough to lock out the players, like the NFL did in 2011.

On one hand, the players share in the extra money that comes from playing extra games. On the other hand, how many more games can the human body endure?

At one point when the NFL wanted to go straight from 16 to 18, someone floated the idea of 18 games with players appearing in a maximum of 16 each. Maybe the 18th game comes with a caveat that, in addition to a bye, no player can play more than 17 regular-season games. (There probably would be an exception for quarterbacks, kickers, punters, and long snappers.)

Regardless, the NFL has good reasons to increase inventory. It’s another weekend of TV windows — which means another weekend of TV money. Also, it’s more stuff on which folks can bet, bet, bet. Which further feathers the nest of owners, both through sponsorships and their ability to own up to five percent of any. company with sports betting operations.

So, ready or not, here it comes. Eighteen regular-season games. Two preseason games.

The question then will be whether the league will eventually if not inevitably try to go with 20 games and no preseason.

Potential 20 game season with no preseason???,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,dilution of talent and dilution of preparation. Sounds like a great plan!

By Mike Florio

When immersed within the NFL universe for multiple days, you pick up a few things. Here’s one thing I picked up this time around.

The push to 18 regular-season games hasn’t been abandoned, health and safety concerns be damned.

The first hint of it came when Browns G.M. Andrew Berry explained on PFT Live that Cleveland and other teams are proposing a delay of the trade deadline by 14 days, from the Tuesday after Week 8 to the Tuesday after Week 10. Berry said that one week was aimed at accounting for the extra week created by the 17th regular-season game — and that the second week was in anticipation of further expansion of the regular season, to 18 games.
That happened on Tuesday. In talking to folks after that, I mentioned Berry’s plan, with the anticipation of another game. The reaction was, basically, “Yeah. That’s coming.”

It likely won’t come until the next labor deal. And the league will likely have the same determination then that it had four years ago, when it was clear that the league wanted an extra game badly enough to lock out the players, like the NFL did in 2011.

On one hand, the players share in the extra money that comes from playing extra games. On the other hand, how many more games can the human body endure?

At one point when the NFL wanted to go straight from 16 to 18, someone floated the idea of 18 games with players appearing in a maximum of 16 each. Maybe the 18th game comes with a caveat that, in addition to a bye, no player can play more than 17 regular-season games. (There probably would be an exception for quarterbacks, kickers, punters, and long snappers.)

Regardless, the NFL has good reasons to increase inventory. It’s another weekend of TV windows — which means another weekend of TV money. Also, it’s more stuff on which folks can bet, bet, bet. Which further feathers the nest of owners, both through sponsorships and their ability to own up to five percent of any. company with sports betting operations.

So, ready or not, here it comes. Eighteen regular-season games. Two preseason games.

The question then will be whether the league will eventually if not inevitably try to go with 20 games and no preseason.

This is why the bullshit about kickoffs is exactly that. Bullshit. Not a care in the world about the potential injury risks of playing Thursday games, moving to an 18 or 20 game schedule, and playing on surfaces like the one in East Rutherford, but they'll go all out to protect players on kickoffs? Idiots.

By Mike Florio

I'll see your 18 to 20 game regular season, and raise with a new 62 man active roster and 57 player game day roster.

OK, let's just do away with the Combine. Vegas can figure a way for making the NFL more money in alternate ways.......... :chef:

Most players don’t do every Combine workout, and many don’t do any
By Michael David Smith
Published March 4, 2024 06:37 AM

Players are increasingly recognizing that if they don’t think the workouts at the Scouting Combine are going to raise their draft stock, they’re free to skip them.

This year, the NFL invited 321 players to the Scouting Combine. Barring some type of emergency, players who are invited always show up to meet with teams, and they almost always do the requisite medical testing (although this year USC’s Caleb Williams was a notable exception) and the media appearances (although this year Ohio State’s Marvin Harrison Jr. did not).

But when it comes to the Combine workouts that fans tune in for and were once viewed as the signature portion of the event, that just isn’t as big a draw for players anymore. Notably, the two agility tests and the bench press are skipped by the vast majority of Combine participants.

Of the 321 players invited, here’s how many did each of the six Combine tests:

230 did the vertical.
222 did the broad jump.
220 did the 40-yard dash.
89 did the shuttle.
77 did the three-cone drill.
72 did the bench press.

For prospective players, it really doesn’t make sense to work out unless you’re confident you’re going to raise your draft stock. If you’re Xavier Worthy, and you know you’re capable of running a 4.21-second 40-yard dash, by all means, do so in a forum where personnel evaluators from all 32 teams are present. But if you don’t think the Combine testing is going to add anything to your college football tape, why risk seeing your draft stock fall?

It won’t be surprising if increasing numbers of players sit out the Combine in future years. And it also won’t be surprising if the player tracking data that’s collected both at the Combine, and on the field in both the NFL and in college, eventually proves to make Combine workouts superfluous.

The Denver Broncos announced Monday that they have informed quarterback Russell Wilson that he will be released after the 2024 league year begins next Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Happy birthday! Now find a new job.

That's what Jacksonville Jaguars defensive tackle Folorunso Fatukasi was told Monday. The team's official X account wished him a happy birthday in the morning. Several hours later the team released him, a league source told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Happy birthday! Now find a new job.

That's what Jacksonville Jaguars defensive tackle Folorunso Fatukasi was told Monday. The team's official X account wished him a happy birthday in the morning. Several hours later the team released him, a league source told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.

That reminds me of the time I was laid off on Christmas Eve. I kid you not. It wasn't a huge company or anything, it was a car dealer. I'm like really? I got coal in my stocking.

The Denver Broncos announced Monday that they have informed quarterback Russell Wilson that he will be released after the 2024 league year begins next Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET.

I think the best Russell Wilson can hope for is a "Prove-It" type of deal. I don't see any NFL GM rolling out the Brinks truck to get him signed now that OB is out of the league. If I'm Wilson, I just go home, stay in shape, keep throwing, and hope like hail that a QB goes down early and a desperate team comes calling.

I think the best Russell Wilson can hope for is a "Prove-It" type of deal. I don't see any NFL GM rolling out the Brinks truck to get him signed now that OB is out of the league. If I'm Wilson, I just go home, stay in shape, keep throwing, and hope like hail that a QB goes down early and a desperate team comes calling.
He's still getting paid by the Broncos next year. With the offset clause, which I'm sure is in his contract, there's no need for anyone to pay him any more than veteran minimum (next year). So, it's already a huge advantage. But yeah, I don't see him getting a 5 year deal...

With the retirement of Kelce, Philly could conceivably trade up to #19 with Rams to get Powers-Johnson, or higher.
The Eagles drafted a Center a couple of years ago named Cam Jurgens. Jurgens is the heir apparent to Kelce and played RG last season. If the Eagles go OL in this draft, I think it would be an OT that could kick inside at RG for a year or 2 until Lane Johnson retires at RT.

Last edited:
I don’t see Danielle Hunter as tagged? Looks to me like the premium DE FA market is dwindling. I see that as possibly raising the value of DN and JG. Allen is out, Burns is out among others. I feel like Ryan’s doesn’t want to leave that spot to a rookie. Might be the impetus to reach a deal with JG with Dalton out of the way. I could be wrong, but I expect to hear about an agreement before the deadline next week.

Today is the deadline for applying a tag

Yes sir, I know. It's in about 30 minutes. But FA itself is still a bit more than a week away. So, what I'm saying is I'm hoping that the Texans and JG can reach an agreement before he officially hits FA. In fact...I now expect it.

If I am wrong and JG does leave, I'm sure they have a contingency plan, but I'd love to keep this guy for the next three years and bookend him with Will.

Reactions: JB
Back