Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Now it is revealed that McMichael,despite being released from the hospital, is dealing with multiple infections........MRSA infections which are requiring continued intense IV antibiotics and around-the-clock care. This episode is sadly far from over. 1708782239140.png

As I previously noted, his UTI (esp., MRSA [an extremely resistant staph] is not a good sign. It is unlikely that this is the last we hear of this type of infection in McMichael in the future.

Hall of Famer Steve McMichael remains hospitalized
By Charean Williams
Published February 22, 2024 10:06 PM

There was hope Hall of Famer Steve McMichael would return home Thursday. He didn’t.

McMichael will remain hospitalized at least one more night, publicist Betsy Shepherd told the Associated Press.

The former Bears defensive lineman, who announced his ALS diagnosis three years ago, was admitted into intensive care at a Chicago-area hospital last Thursday. He was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection.

McMichael, 66, then developed MRSA, an antibiotic-resistant staph infection, and required a blood transfusion.

The initial hope was that doctors would discharge him Tuesday, but that was pushed back to Thursday. It will be at least Friday before McMichael returns home.

McMichael was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame earlier this year. He spent 13 years as a defensive tackle for the Bears and was a key part of their Super Bowl XX championship team.

He will be inducted with the Class of 2024 in Canton, Ohio, in August.

Steve McMichael returns home after an eight-day hospital stay
By Charean Williams
Published February 23, 2024 11:26 PM

After spending eight days in a Chicago-area hospital, Steve McMichael finally is back home.

The Hall of Famer was released from Silver Cross Hospital in New Lenox on Friday, according to multiple reports.

McMichael, who announced his ALS diagnosis three years ago, was battling multiple infections.

He was admitted to ICU with a urinary tract infection and then developed pneumonia and MRSA, an antibiotic-resistant staph infection. He will have around-the-clock nursing care at home and receive two IV antibiotics to fight the infections.

As salary cap surges, NFL still tightens its belt
By Mike Florio
Published February 23, 2024 07:41 PM

Today’s news that the NFL’s salary cap has skyrocketed to $255.4 million per team comes at a time when the NFL is still trying to save money by shrinking the Big Shield employee payroll.

As reported in early January by Sports Business Journal, the league offered 200 employees a buyout package, with an expiration date of late February.

Late February is arriving. If not enough employees choose to go, the next step will be to involuntary reduce the workforce. At a time when the NFL is making more money than ever before.

Yeah, sure, every business can be more efficient. Every business can cut costs. For the NFL, however, there’s no effort needed to make ends meets. As Eddie Murphy once said, “The ends are meeting like a mutherf—ker.”

That’s not keeping the NFL from trying to nudge to the curb people who have been good and loyal employees, by enticing them to take free money to walk away. Those who are eventually terminated likely will get a similar offer, in exchange for a waiver of their legal rights.

Regardless, this isn’t the kind of thing that successful businesses who pay their chief executive something well north of $60 million per year should do.

The roster of employees, as previously constituted, should be sufficient without cutting plenty of them loose and, in turn, expecting others to pick up the slack.

Until it’s time for them to go, too.

Biased researcher with no transparency...... limited validation studies on these systems exist.

The NFL’s mouthguard sensor program is ongoing
Published February 24, 2024 10:35 AM

This week, several PFT Live viewers in the UK shared an item regarding the use of smart mouthguards (they call them “gumshields” over there) in professional rugby, with the question of whether the NFL would ever use technology like that to detect and measure impacts to the head.

The NFL has had a similar program in place for several years, as explained in this November 2022 item from Sports Business Journal. We asked the league for an update on it.

“The mouthguard sensor program is ongoing,” chief NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said via email. “In addition to use within the NFL, we’re continuing to work with eight Division I research universities to collect data regarding on-field head impacts to inform injury reduction efforts at the pro and collegiate levels.

“The data collected supplements information we’ve collected at NFL clubs and is meant to ultimately inform injury reduction strategy, rules changes, and the development of higher-performing equipment.”

The mouthguards have been “developed to capture the forces and motions unique to football,” McCarthy explained. “The sensors embedded in the mouthguards collect kinematic data, including impact speed, direction, force, location, and severity. League engineering partners continue to lead the efforts to collect and analyze the data.”

It’s unknown for now what the data is or what it will even mean. In rugby, there’s already a dispute over how different levels of impact should be studied. There are also questions about the independence, or lack thereof, of the folks doing the research.

The NFL’s mouthguard sensor program hasn’t gotten to that point yet, because as best we can tell no measurements or results or conclusions have been shared publicly.

To summarize, yes, the NFL has a program similar to rugby’s “smart gumshields.” But, no, there isn’t nearly enough transparency to begin to understand what it all means, and whether there are any flaws or biases impacting the process.

Browns Predicted to Challenge Deshaun Watson With Old Starting QB in ‘Bold Move’
By Max Dible
Updated Feb 23, 2024 at 5:51pm

The Cleveland Browns may not need Deshaun Watson to be great for the team to succeed in 2024. In fact, they may not need Watson to be anything at all.

Two quarterbacks not named Watson have each had a better run with the franchise over the last two years, respectively — Jacoby Brissett in 2022 and Joe Flacco in 2023. On Friday, February 23, Aaron Schatz of ESPN suggested a “bold move,” in which Cleveland signs one — if not both — to compete for the starting job with Watson this offseason.
In 2022, Brissett had a 62.0 QBR while Watson had 40.4 QBR. Then last season, [Flacco] had 48.3 QBR while Watson was below him at 42.9 QBR.
The Browns need to bring in competition and a backup plan in case Watson starts off 2024 playing subpar football again.
Flacco has expressed a desire to continue his career despite his age (39), and Browns fans would be happy to see him back. Brissett’s 2022 numbers stand out when we look at his career, but the Browns might as well sign him to a cheaper deal and see if they can make the magic happen again. Any of these options would at least protect the Browns and keep them from wasting another strong defense with bad play from Watson.

Will come as a blow to some wanting outlandish trades

"I have no problem. I want to be here, it's as simple as that," Brown told Philadelphia radio station 94WIP. "I love where I'm at, it's as simple as that. Next question."

He also called rumors of friction between himself and quarterback Jalen Hurts "total B.S."

"I'm not going to get into me and his relationship on the air. But it's total B.S., you know what I'm saying?" he said. "It wasn't a problem when I was on my six-game streak. They wasn't talking about that then, so they only started talking about that when we started losing. Of course, you see friction from everybody, from the coaches, the players and from everybody. So there you go."

Charles Omenihu thinks he’s done enough to merit a new contract
By Josh Alper
Published February 26, 2024 12:37 PM

Defensive end Charles Omenihu missed the beginning and the end of the Chiefs’ season, but he thinks he did enough in between to earn a new deal.
Omenihu came back from a six-game Personal Conduct Policy suspension to record seven regular season sacks and he recorded another while forcing a fumble in the AFC Championship Game, but he did not play in the Super Bowl win over the 49ers because of a torn ACL. Omenihu has had surgery on that injury and he’ll be rehabbing while also making his case for a new contract.

The push started with social media posts that hinted at his desire and it continued on NFL Network Monday with a more pointed answer to a question about whether he feels he’s positioned himself for another pact.

“I think I did, to be honest,” Omenihu said. “Like you said, seven sacks in 11 games and then the sack in the championship game to kind of spark off the wave of defensive plays. Finished second on the team in sacks and didn’t have the first six games to catch up with George [Karlaftis] and Chris [Jones]. I think I did, I think the tape speaks for itself. I think I showed dominant run play and then with the pass rush, inside and outside and just winning one-on-ones, creating turnovers, being the spark and, like, the energy plays they wanted me to be when I got there.”

Omenihu is signed through the 2024 season with a base salary of $6.74 million and a cap number of $10.97 million. An extension would likely bring that cap hit down, but it’s unclear if the Chiefs are thinking about anything on that front as they wait for Omenihu to return to full speed.

Can’t think of a more loaded year for RBs in FA.

Evidently, another slow learner............

Report: Damon Arnette arrested on meth, gun charges in Texas
By Charean Williams
Published February 26, 2024 06:28 PM

Former Raiders cornerback Damon Arnette was arrested last month and charged with possession of less than a gram of meth and unlawful carrying of a firearm, NFL Media reports.

Arnette was arrested Jan. 6 at 3:30 a.m. in Richardson, Texas, a suburb of Dallas.

Last August, Arnette was fined, sentenced to community service and ordered to forfeit his gun after pleading guilty to misdemeanor charges of assault and drawing a deadly weapon. In sentencing him to a $2,500 fine and 50 hours of community service, Clark County (Nevada) District Judge Ronald Israel warned Arnette that he cannot possess guns or be around anyone who has a gun.

The Raiders made Arnette a first-round draft pick in 2020, but he lasted only a year and a half before the team cut him during the 2021 season.

Arnette signed with the Chiefs days before his January 2022 arrest in Las Vegas, but they released him after he was accused of pulling a gun on a valet during a dispute. He has not received any NFL interest since.

Can’t think of a more loaded year for RBs in FA.

This situation could push RB's a round back in this year's draft. There's a lot of veteran RB's on the market.

One prediction....Chargers could make a push for RB- Derrick Henry. The Texans could have a trade partner in San Diego, for the services of RB- Dameon Pierce. A Henry and Pierce backfield would probably fit Harbaugh's idea of a power running game. They could get a 3rd down back in the later rounds to compliment Henry and Pierce.

When asked at the NFL scouting combine Tuesday whether Baltimore would put the franchise tag on Madubuike if the sides can't reach a deal by the March 5 deadline, Ravens general manager Eric DeCosta said, "I probably will, yes."

Latu said Wednesday at the NFL scouting combine that "no teams have talked about any kind of concern" over the neck injury that kept him on the sideline at Washington for two years. Latu added, to this point in Indianapolis, that "being out here I haven't had to do too many medicals [exams], just like everybody else."

This is not what I am hearing.........there are definitely teams that have significant concerns.

UCLA LB Laiatu Latu hearing no concerns over neck history

Jeff Legwold, ESPN Senior WriterFeb 28, 2024, 09:23 AM ET

INDIANAPOLIS -- UCLA outside linebacker Laiatu Latu believes his unlikely comeback from college football "retirement" will extend into the NFL draft's first round.

Latu said Wednesday at the NFL scouting combine that "no teams have talked about any kind of concern" over the neck injury that kept him on the sideline at Washington for two years. Latu added, to this point in Indianapolis, that "being out here I haven't had to do too many medicals [exams], just like everybody else."

"I've been dreaming of the NFL since I was a kid, and I never gave up on it all," Latu said. "... I just understood what I wanted to do and that I wanted to get back to playing football again. ... [The neck] was never a concern for them."

Latu is considered by many NFL evaluators to be the most technically advanced pass-rusher in the draft. But he also has one of the biggest medical questions of any prospect at the combine.

The Sacramento, California, native did not play in 2020 or 2021 after he was advised to "medically retire" from football by the Washington staff. Latu had suffered a neck injury in preseason workouts for the COVID-19-shortened 2020 season and later had surgery -- Latu said Wednesday he had neck fusion surgery -- to try to repair lingering numbness.

Doctors at Washington would not clear him to return and advised him not to play football. His mother, Kerry, however, researched Latu's injury and kept coming across Dr. Robert Watkins' name before arranging for Latu to see the noted back and neck surgeon in late 2021.

Latu said Watkins cleared him to return to football after a battery of tests, but Washington would still not clear him to play for the Huskies. He transferred to UCLA in January 2022.

"[Watkins] just looked at my scans and cleared me," Latu said. "Because he's had guys with the same, similar stuff, like Danielle Hunter and Peyton Manning, and he really just told me I would be able to play football."

Two seasons, 23.5 sacks and 36.5 tackles for loss later, Latu is poised to be one of the most sought-after pass-rushers on draft boards across the league.

Latu, who is the No. 14 player on analyst Mel Kiper Jr.'s most recent Big Board, won both the Lombardi and Hendricks awards this past season -- for the best lineman and best defensive end in college football, respectively -- and was the Bruins' first first-team All-America selection since Eric Kendricks in 2014.

Like all the defensive linemen and linebackers invited to the combine, Latu was scheduled to go through medical exams Tuesday and Wednesday with his on-field workout Thursday. He said Wednesday that he was prepared to work out at the combine and put up "low numbers."

From the article>>>>>
"[Watkins] just looked at my scans and cleared me," Latu said. "Because he's had guys with the same, similar stuff, like Danielle Hunter and Peyton Manning, and he really just told me I would be able to play football."

Neither player had the same injury as Latu. Both had lower cervical bulging discs.........Manning had a C6 level disc. Latu's injury was very high up C2. Typically the higher up the greater the long-term re-injury potential.

It wouldn't surprise me if in his next public appearance, he is on supplementary oxygen.

The initial incident where he was found nonresponsive was Dec 6 2023. It is now almost 3 months later. Not expecting that Irsay comes out of this "normal."

Chris Ballard: Jim Irsay is “progressing well”
By Mike Florio
Published February 28, 2024 07:07 PM

As the city the Colts call home once again hosts the Scouting Combine, the owner of the local NFL team continues to recover from a severe respiratory illness.

On Wednesday, G.M. Chris Ballard provided an update on the health of Jim Irsay.

He is progressing well,” Ballard told reporters at the Combine, via Anthony Calhoun of WISH-TV. “We are talking. . . . [Coach] Shane [Steichen] and I have talked to him multiple times and we keep him abreast of anything. Look, at the end of the day we’re not gonna do anything without his approval, and so we still keep him in the loop. I mean, you know him, now. He wants to know. He loves his team. And so, you know, he’s making his way. And he’s doing well. He’s doing better.”

Last month, the team disclosed Irsay’s condition. TMZ later reported that Irsay was found unresponsive on the floor of his bathroom on December 8. Earlier this month, Irsay posted that he’s “on the mend.”

Has anyone looked at the NFLPA team report cards?

There's some really interesting things on there that are pretty shocking. You can sort the columns to get the high to low of any particular question. I sorted by owner. The Texans get a B+. So, I guess Hannah must be well-liked. I heard she has a non-meddling husband, but don't know his name. Cally or something? I don't know.

I was struck that the Chief's owner (Clark Hunt) got an F-. Not even a straight F, but an F-. How do you even get an F- on a team that has won two straight Super Bowls? Andy Reid got an A+ so they love the coach and hate the owner. If you're Clark Hunt you've got to be trying really hard to get that low. Other major shockers to me were Bob Kraft with a D+ and the Steeler's ownership getting an F. That's the ownership I've always wanted the Texans to emulate. I found those 3 in particular really surprising.

J.J. Watt Has The Entire Internet Going Wild After Revealing His Ridiculous New Hairstyle (PIC)
J.J. Watt Has The Entire Internet Going Wild After Revealing His Ridiculous New Hairstyle (PIC)

Madabuike likely getting tagged. Maybe Chiefs find a way to get Jones under the cap. This will push up Wilkins’ asking price as top FA DT. Wonder what Rankins will command?

Back