Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

I didn't know that Arthur Smith was the heir to the Fedex fortune...
(that piece of info was originally in the article but has been removed)
Yes and to his credit. He has worked his way from an intern to quality control to TE coach to OC to HC. I'm still not sure if he will become a great HC. He might be one of these guys who are a better OC than HC.

Knowing his background, you have to admire his willingness to work his way up the NFL coaching ranks instead of getting a job because of his family ties.

How Arthur Smith forged a path separate from billionaire dad to become Atlanta Falcons coach - ESPN - Atlanta Falcons Blog- ESPN

Reactions: JB
Sad and pathetic..........following NFL's motto..........squeeze every drop you can out of fans...........

Some Lions fans face season-ticket price increases of nearly 150 percent
Published December 21, 2023 09:52 AM

Yes, it’s getting more expensive to go to Lions games. For some fans, it’s dramatically more expensive.

Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press has found a season-ticket holder who initially believed the email was mistaken. It wasn’t.

Jeff Paxton paid $5,536 for four season tickets in 2023. Next year, the same seats will cost $13,616.

That’s a price increase of 146 percent.

Paxton contacted his season-ticket rep. A full 24 hours later, Paxton had not gotten a response.

“We’ve seen a steep rise in the market value of the tickets which helped inform all of our pricing increases,” a Lions spokesperson told Birkett. “The tickets in question, front row seats, were significantly under market value in the past, which is why they’re seeing the higher increase.”

It’s one of the basic realities of a world in which scalping is perfectly legal. The market sets the ultimate price. If those tickets are going for far more
than the Lions are getting, why not charge more in the first place?

In the end, it’s all driven by economics. Loyal fans who paid for season tickets during plenty of subpar seasons might not like that, but that’s the way it goes. Look at the money Lions fans are spending to go to road games. It shows a willingness to pay more to go to home games.

If the current season-ticket holders don’t want to pay the price, someone else will. The teams will never put it that bluntly, but it’s true.

Supply and demand. Football is business. They say “football is family” because it’s good for business to say “football is family.”

And it’s not good for business to say, “If you don’t want to pay higher prices, turn in your season tickets so we can sell them to someone who will happily write the check.”
I'm so glad I quit giving the NFL my money. Best decision I've made in awhile.

I watched the play where his shoulder was injured.............it was a noncontact injury.............usually caused by overuse and/or poor mechanics. He definitely showed questionable mechanics on that throw.......it could have been the coup de gras with a shoulder that already suffered from overuse changes.
He could be dealing now with a rotator cuff (allows you to lift your arm and rotate your shoulder)...or an impingement syndrome (which occurs when the top outer edge of your shoulder blade rubs against your rotator cuff beneath it. ...or a biceps tendinitis...........all of which require significant rest and rehab.

Last edited:
I watched the play where his shoulder was injured.............it was a noncontact injury.............usually caused by overuse and/or poor mechanics. He definitely showed questionable mechanics on that throw.......it could have been the coup de gras with a shoulder that already suffered from overuse changes.
I was thinking his shoulder was probably injured before that play and he tried to play through it much like Watson did

He could be dealing now with a rotator cuff (allows you to lift your arm and rotate your shoulder)...or an impingement syndrome (which occurs when the top outer edge of your shoulder blade rubs against your rotator cuff beneath it. ...or a biceps tendinitis...........all of which require significant rest and rehab.
I was thinking his shoulder was probably injured before that play and he tried to play through it much like Watson did
Lawrence was hurt when he stretched and dove for a first down on the sideline on a fourth-and-1 play late in the third quarter. He was shoved by Bucs linebacker Yaya Diaby as he was diving, landed on his right shoulder out of bounds and slid into the Bucs' bench area.
"When I landed I knew something was off," Lawrence said. "And the next play it kind of hurts to throw. I wanted to finish the drive out and we were able to get some points, and then on the two-point [conversion attempt] could tell by the way I threw it I couldn't really get my shoulder up good enough to really keep playing.
link

Lawrence was hurt when he stretched and dove for a first down on the sideline on a fourth-and-1 play late in the third quarter. He was shoved by Bucs linebacker Yaya Diaby as he was diving, landed on his right shoulder out of bounds and slid into the Bucs' bench area.

link
Thanks.....I just saw the clip where he tried to throw and suddenly felt pain and left the game. Got hold of a video of the play you refer to. Easily a rotator cuff or a shoulder subluxation. He still needs significant rest/rehab, which he and the Jags may try to ignore..........to no good end.

It doesn't look bad to me.
When his ankle was finally taped up and he returned to the game, it was obvious that he was ineffective and just being used as a decoy. As the ankle swelling will have significantly increased over the next 24-48 hours, that ankle and his ability to perform will have only worsened. He is likely to miss at least the next game and be unlikely to be effective the remainder of the season if he plays.

Last edited:
24 teams are still in contention for a trip to the Super Bowl, which ties for the most with two weeks remaining in 20 years, since a record 26 in 2004.

I believe that this reflects the "parity" of NFL teams.............a reflection of the extremely sad product the NFL is now putting on the field...............as a result of longer seasons, less numbers of talented players available, pathetic practice restrictions.............and now the NFL wants to expand the season to 18 games, and play more games in Europe and possibly other parts of the world, and place new NFL teams outside the US.................even further diluting an already tremendously diluted talent pool.

Yes........Congratulations! We have gained "parity"..............all teams have evolved to less talent............and the evolution of the product is not yet even complete!

Last edited:
Doug Peterson, if he can be believed due to his reports of Lawrence's prior injuries, is calling Trevor Lawrences injury an A-C sprain.............and he is not sure what his availability would be for the next game.

Even with a mild A-C of the throwing shoulder, it usually takes a couple of weeks. If any more than that, it would definitely mean the end of the season.

24 teams are still in contention for a trip to the Super Bowl, which ties for the most with two weeks remaining in 20 years, since a record 26 in 2004.

I believe that this reflects the "parity" of NFL teams.............a reflection of the extremely sad product the NFL is now putting on the field...............as a result of longer seasons, less numbers of talented players available, pathetic practice restrictions.............and now the NFL wants to expand the season to 18 games, and play more games in Europe and possibly other parts of the world, and place new NFL teams outside the US.................even further diluting an already tremendously diluted talent pool.

Yes........Congratulations! We have gained "parity"..............all teams have evolved to less talent............and the evolution of the product is not yet even complete!
And everything will be fine because there's an overabundance of QB's that are NFL ready.

The way around all of the injury issues that dilutes the play is to make anything other than arm tackling illegal. Signed Rodger God'ell

Ryans bringing his old buddy into the fold down the stretch. Ryans and KJax played the 2010 and 2011 seasons as teammates.

Last edited:
Dolphins Jaylene Waddle had a rough day poked in the eye......then suffered what the Dolphins HC reported as a high ankle sprain. It looked in the replay that this was instead a low ankle. If so, he will probably try to play through it against the Ravens.

Interesting.

Packers suspend Jaire Alexander after he nearly mixed up coin toss
Alexander will miss Sunday's game against the Minnesota Vikings

Sean Leahy · Jack Baer
Wed, Dec 27, 2023, 12:20 PM CST·3 min read

The Green Bay Packers have placed cornerback Jaire Alexander on the reserve/suspended list for "conduct detrimental to the team" regarding his participation in Sunday's pregame coin toss before their 33-30 win over the Carolina Panthers.
"The decision to suspend a player is never easy and not one we take lightly. Unfortunately, Jaire's actions prior to the game in Carolina led us to take this step," said Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst. "As an organization, we have an expectation that everyone puts the team first. While we are disappointed, we had a good conversation with Jaire this morning and fully expect him to learn from this as we move forward together. We look forward to welcoming him back next week, as he is a valued member of this team and will continue to be in the future."
Alexander will miss Sunday's game against the Minnesota Vikings, the team the 7-8 Packers are currently tied with in the NFC North.

Ahead of last Sunday's coin toss, Alexander joined the Packers' three game captains — Aaron Jones, Quay Walker and Eric Wilson — at midfield and called tails, winning the toss. The cornerback then told referee Alex Kemp that he wanted to be on defense. Kemp clarified by asking if he meant defer, to which Alexander said yes.
"I said, 'I want our defense to be out there,' and they all looked at me like I was crazy," Alexander said afterward. "I'm like, I mean, it's pretty simple what I said, like I want the defense to be out there. They like, 'You mean defer?' and I'm like, 'Yeah, I guess.'"
When a team wins the coin toss, fans might think they then get to choose whether to kick or return to open the game, with the understanding that the second half will open the opposite way.

It's actually a bit more complicated than that. Instead of kicking or returning, teams are actually deciding when they want the choice to kick or return to open a half. If a team says "we'll receive," that's fine; they're just saying they are making the choice now and would like to receive the ball.

But you must never, ever say, "we'll kick." Because an official might interpret that as deciding you are making the choice to open the game by kicking off, and then the other team will make its choice at the start of the second half, at which point they will obviously choose to receive, resulting in your team kicking off to start both halves. That's why players always say "defer," because they are deferring their team's choice to the second half.
"That was a big mistake," Packers head coach Matt LaFleur said. "That's something that you review with the guys before they go out there every time about, 'Hey, we win the toss, we're going to defer.' I went to the officials before the game, made sure they knew what we were going to do. We had an incident earlier this year where we had a similar situation, so always trying to be proactive in that approach."
The Packers have been rotating their captains weekly, and while Alexander wasn't scheduled to be part of the Week 16 group, he said LaFleur knew the game was being played in his hometown.

"It's only suiting," Alexander said. "I don't think Coach knew I was from Charlotte."

Interesting.

Packers suspend Jaire Alexander after he nearly mixed up coin toss
Alexander will miss Sunday's game against the Minnesota Vikings

Sean Leahy · Jack Baer
Wed, Dec 27, 2023, 12:20 PM CST·3 min read

The Green Bay Packers have placed cornerback Jaire Alexander on the reserve/suspended list for "conduct detrimental to the team" regarding his participation in Sunday's pregame coin toss before their 33-30 win over the Carolina Panthers.

Alexander will miss Sunday's game against the Minnesota Vikings, the team the 7-8 Packers are currently tied with in the NFC North.

Ahead of last Sunday's coin toss, Alexander joined the Packers' three game captains — Aaron Jones, Quay Walker and Eric Wilson — at midfield and called tails, winning the toss. The cornerback then told referee Alex Kemp that he wanted to be on defense. Kemp clarified by asking if he meant defer, to which Alexander said yes.

When a team wins the coin toss, fans might think they then get to choose whether to kick or return to open the game, with the understanding that the second half will open the opposite way.

It's actually a bit more complicated than that. Instead of kicking or returning, teams are actually deciding when they want the choice to kick or return to open a half. If a team says "we'll receive," that's fine; they're just saying they are making the choice now and would like to receive the ball.

But you must never, ever say, "we'll kick." Because an official might interpret that as deciding you are making the choice to open the game by kicking off, and then the other team will make its choice at the start of the second half, at which point they will obviously choose to receive, resulting in your team kicking off to start both halves. That's why players always say "defer," because they are deferring their team's choice to the second half.

The Packers have been rotating their captains weekly, and while Alexander wasn't scheduled to be part of the Week 16 group, he said LaFleur knew the game was being played in his hometown.

"It's only suiting," Alexander said. "I don't think Coach knew I was from Charlotte."
The real reason that broke the camel's back was that Alexander without anyone's knowledge or permission, self appointed himself a captain for that game..........:toropalm:

Back