Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

No. He is injury prone and has a lot of NFL wear and tear. His best years are behind him. If you really want another top RB, go after Bijan Robinson. Jamyhr Gibbs is also very good and the quality is still excellent down into the 3rd round. Plus Saquan will be looking for a payout.
I agree on Barkley..........his heavy injury history makes his future in the long term extremely questionable.

What I've been getting all along from my KC sources.

***************************************************************************************
PFT
LeSean McCoy: I’m rooting for Eric Bieniemy, but he had nothing to do with Chiefs’ pass game
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 21, 2023, 11:54 AM EST

LeSean McCoy spent the 2019 season in Kansas City, playing for head coach Andy Reid and offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy, and McCoy says Reid was the reason for the Chiefs’ offensive success.

Asked about Bieniemy moving on to become offensive coordinator of the Commanders, McCoy said on FS1 that Bieniemy was riding Reid’s coattails in Kansas City.

“What’s his value? What makes him a good offensive coordinator? The problem is, a lot of these people that go on social media, ‘He should be the guy for the job,’ they haven’t played there,” McCoy said. “I’ve been in the rooms where he’s coaching and he has nothing to do with the pass game at all. When the plays are designed, that’s Andy Reid. When you talk about offensive coordinators, I can tell you what makes Brian Daboll with the Giants a very good coordinator. I can tell you about Andy Reid or Doug Pederson. But Eric Bieniemy, what makes him good? When we watch the film of practices and we correct the wide receivers, the running backs, the quarterbacks, he doesn’t talk in there. Andy Reid talks in there.”

Nonetheless, McCoy said he’s hoping Bieniemy succeeds in Washington.

“I’m rooting for him because he’s a Black coach and I love to see Black coaches win. Also, he’s a running backs coach, and running backs coaches never get a chance to be offensive coordinator,” McCoy said. “So I want him to do well, but if I have to do my job and be honest? My thing is, where is the true value at?”

The good news for Bieniemy is, he now has an opportunity to prove his doubters wrong. In Washington, he’ll be coaching under a defensive-minded head coach in Ron Rivera, and coaching a team that has been struggling for years to find its franchise quarterback. If Bieniemy gets the passing game going in Washington, that should put the doubts to bed.

This is a player in deep denial. And Judo is not going to help by teaching him how to fall avoiding hitting his head. Getting hit as a QB by a locomotive is much different than anything that can be produced by two components facing up face-to-face. When an NFL QB is hit hard by and NFL pass-rusher, especially if blindsided, controlled purposeful thinking and actions [how to fall] are out the window. Believing otherwise is just naive.

*******************************************************************************************************
Tua Tagovailoa turns to Judo to avoid head injuries when falling
Posted by Mike Florio on February 22, 2023, 8:52 AM EST

In late December, after Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa suffered his most recent concussion due to his helmet striking the ground, former U.S. Olympic judoka Jason Morris contacted us via email with a simple suggestion for Tua — try judo.

“I was watching your show with Peter King talking about Tua’s concussion situation and the fact he keeps hitting his head on the ground,” Morris said. “I have forever thought and wanted the NFL to employ an expert Judo player/coach to teach the football players a little Judo, which starts with learning how to fall properly as we take tons a falls everyday but know how to naturally take that fall without hitting our heads.”

His instincts were right. In a follow-up email from Jason last night, he pointed out that Tua is indeed working with Judo.

Frankly, we missed it in the days preceding the Super Bowl. Tua, as it turns out, explained on Up & Adams that he’ll devote one day per week to Judo training in an effort to learn how to fall in a way that doesn’t result in his head striking the turf.

“We’ve got a plan set up,” Tua said. “I’ll be doing Judo on Fridays just so that I can kind of figure out understanding my body and how to fall. . . . Just trying to help myself.”

It’s important that he does. He suffered at least two, and probably three, concussions during the 2022 season because his helmet struck the turf after being legally hit. As we’ve said all along, the physics are against him, given his size. He has to figure out how to protect himself, whether it’s finding a way to avoid those hits or, as he’s doing, finding a way to take those hits without hitting his head.

And it’s clear he’s moving forward with his career, hopeful that he’ll be able to avoid additional concussions in 2023.
“I’ve had all the information that I need to move forward with the decision that I made with me and my wife and my family,”
Tagovailoa told Yahoo Sports during Super Bowl week. “You’re playing this sport understanding and knowing the precautions. These things can happen. It’s football. It’s a physical sport.”

He’s right. The problem is that, right or wrong, Tua has become the face of head injuries in football. And, at some point, his next concussion will be the one that will prevent doctors from clearing him to play again.

That’s why it will be interesting to see whether the Dolphins extend Tua’s contract or pick up his fifth-year option. Regardless of the fact that his play improved dramatically under coach Mike McDaniel, teams want and need their best quarterbacks to be available to play. Tua missed four games, left another one and returned, left another one and didn’t return, and remained in the Christmas Day loss to the Packers while, in hindsight, impaired by a concussion.

For Tua, the challenge becomes avoiding further head injuries. Specifically, it means learning how to either not take hits that knock him to the ground, or to land in a way that keeps his helmet from striking the turf, again.

Looking at the situation more broadly, Jason Morris seems to be right. Maybe more teams should be steering their players toward Judo, in order to teach them how to fall in a way that protects them against suffering head injuries. And if the teams aren’t doing it, maybe players should be doing it on their own.

I would take a look at Woods for the right price.

Lewan and Woods are considered borderline starters, more likely backups. Both have extensive injury histories and both have recent ACL surgeries .................Lewan has undergone 2 ACL surgeries in the past 3 years.

Lewan and Woods are considered borderline starters, more likely backups. Both have extensive injury histories and both have recent ACL surgeries .................Lewan has undergone 2 ACL surgeries in the past 3 years.
Lewan played well his first couple of seasons right? Was highly ranked in his draft.
I wonder what happened to Cunningham? I thought he was decent here - perhaps he went to the wrong system or had to play out of his comfort zone?

Lewan played well his first couple of seasons right? Was highly ranked in his draft.
I wonder what happened to Cunningham? I thought he was decent here - perhaps he went to the wrong system or had to play out of his comfort zone?

Cunningham never learned how to cover and failed to make impact plays against the run. He could rack up tackles, but they were usually beyond the LOS. A two down LB that can’t rack up impact plays like TFLs is replaceable.

Cunningham was avg at best. He was drafted to be a cover type MLB. Only problem he wasn't very good at covering.

To think they passed on long time Bills LT for this guy. We never would've had to go down the Tunsil trail if Dawkins had been the pick. There was a poster who was a coach that said although Dawkins was short for a LT, that he would be the best LT in that draft. He was correct. Thanks RS.

Agree.
If Seattle (#5) trades up to #1, they are taking a QB - else why would they move up for a D that would likely fall to them?
#2 Texans take a QB, #3 Arizona goes D, #4 Indy goes QB leaving one of the top two D on the board.
Not only that, but Miles Murphy would still be on the board. Or Tyree Wilson or Brian Bresee and who knows who Chicago rates highest on their board?

Indy at #4?
Do you really believe that Indy would give up what would be necessary for them to move up to #1 from #4?
And out of a myriad of Draft experts, only a sparse few have the Colts trading up with the Bears for Young.:

Colts 2023 NFL Mock Draft Monday: Feb. 20, After Shane Steichen Named Head Coach
Mock Draft Monday, our weekly roundup of experts' predictions for who the Colts will take in the NFL Draft, is back a week after the Colts named Shane Steichen head coach.
Feb 20, 2023 at 01:36 PM
JJ Stankevitz
Colts.com Writer

The Colts have signed FA WR Malik Turner! Originally a undrafted free agent signed by the Seattle Seahawks in 2018 and most recently played with Houston Texans!

If Baltimore can find a partner to trade Jackson, they will likely package picks to get Bryce Young and roll with the same offensive scheme.
Despite what the media is saying about "likely" trades, Ravens are as likely to placed the exclusive tag. Teams would be limited by the trade requirements which is a Deshaun Watson comparable deal...............fully guaranteed gargantuan contract................3 1st round + picks. Plus, assuming Baltimore hits Jackson with an exclusive franchise tag, he would have a de facto no-trade clause until he signs the tender. If Lamar gets what he wants, Watson's experience will no longer be able to be pointed to as "THE EXCEPTION"...........and QBs henceforth will be demanding the same or more. Thank you Browns. NFL/owners you've gotten what you deserve........................Poor fans!

Not sure if this has been posted.

I wonder if the Titans are embracing a rebuild or if they are making a trade to move up in the draft. Im not willing to DL the app to see the rest of the story.... but interesting if true.

Not sure if this has been posted.

I wonder if the Titans are embracing a rebuild or if they are making a trade to move up in the draft. Im not willing to DL the app to see the rest of the story.... but interesting if true.

It all boils down to one talking head who was admittedly merely speculating one time on an espn broadcast that if Tenn really wanted to hit the refresh button under their new GM they could do so by trading Henry. And he just threw out a sort of fantasy trade partner in Buff.

No inside sources, no ongoing talks, nothing legitimately on any tables.. just one guy thinking out loud on tv.

What I've been getting all along from my KC sources.

***************************************************************************************
PFT
LeSean McCoy: I’m rooting for Eric Bieniemy, but he had nothing to do with Chiefs’ pass game
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 21, 2023, 11:54 AM EST

LeSean McCoy spent the 2019 season in Kansas City, playing for head coach Andy Reid and offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy, and McCoy says Reid was the reason for the Chiefs’ offensive success.

Asked about Bieniemy moving on to become offensive coordinator of the Commanders, McCoy said on FS1 that Bieniemy was riding Reid’s coattails in Kansas City.

“What’s his value? What makes him a good offensive coordinator? The problem is, a lot of these people that go on social media, ‘He should be the guy for the job,’ they haven’t played there,” McCoy said. “I’ve been in the rooms where he’s coaching and he has nothing to do with the pass game at all. When the plays are designed, that’s Andy Reid. When you talk about offensive coordinators, I can tell you what makes Brian Daboll with the Giants a very good coordinator. I can tell you about Andy Reid or Doug Pederson. But Eric Bieniemy, what makes him good? When we watch the film of practices and we correct the wide receivers, the running backs, the quarterbacks, he doesn’t talk in there. Andy Reid talks in there.”

Nonetheless, McCoy said he’s hoping Bieniemy succeeds in Washington.

“I’m rooting for him because he’s a Black coach and I love to see Black coaches win. Also, he’s a running backs coach, and running backs coaches never get a chance to be offensive coordinator,” McCoy said. “So I want him to do well, but if I have to do my job and be honest? My thing is, where is the true value at?”

The good news for Bieniemy is, he now has an opportunity to prove his doubters wrong. In Washington, he’ll be coaching under a defensive-minded head coach in Ron Rivera, and coaching a team that has been struggling for years to find its franchise quarterback. If Bieniemy gets the passing game going in Washington, that should put the doubts to bed.

Like last year, Shady is still throwing shade at Bieniemy for benching him for the Chiefs first Super Bowl run. But he's "rooting for him". Yeah.

DeMaurice Smith under consideration for Secretary of Labor!
giphy.gif

This is a player in deep denial. And Judo is not going to help by teaching him how to fall avoiding hitting his head. Getting hit as a QB by a locomotive is much different than anything that can be produced by two components facing up face-to-face. When an NFL QB is hit hard by and NFL pass-rusher, especially if blindsided, controlled purposeful thinking and actions [how to fall] are out the window. Believing otherwise is just naive.

*******************************************************************************************************

In late December, after Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa suffered his most recent concussion due to his helmet striking the ground, former U.S. Olympic judoka Jason Morris contacted us via email with a simple suggestion for Tua — try judo.

“I was watching your show with Peter King talking about Tua’s concussion situation and the fact he keeps hitting his head on the ground,” Morris said. “I have forever thought and wanted the NFL to employ an expert Judo player/coach to teach the football players a little Judo, which starts with learning how to fall properly as we take tons a falls everyday but know how to naturally take that fall without hitting our heads.”

His instincts were right. In a follow-up email from Jason last night, he pointed out that Tua is indeed working with Judo.

Frankly, we missed it in the days preceding the Super Bowl. Tua, as it turns out, explained on Up & Adams that he’ll devote one day per week to Judo training in an effort to learn how to fall in a way that doesn’t result in his head striking the turf.

“We’ve got a plan set up,” Tua said. “I’ll be doing Judo on Fridays just so that I can kind of figure out understanding my body and how to fall. . . . Just trying to help myself.”

It’s important that he does. He suffered at least two, and probably three, concussions during the 2022 season because his helmet struck the turf after being legally hit. As we’ve said all along, the physics are against him, given his size. He has to figure out how to protect himself, whether it’s finding a way to avoid those hits or, as he’s doing, finding a way to take those hits without hitting his head.

And it’s clear he’s moving forward with his career, hopeful that he’ll be able to avoid additional concussions in 2023.
“I’ve had all the information that I need to move forward with the decision that I made with me and my wife and my family,”
Tagovailoa told Yahoo Sports during Super Bowl week. “You’re playing this sport understanding and knowing the precautions. These things can happen. It’s football. It’s a physical sport.”

He’s right. The problem is that, right or wrong, Tua has become the face of head injuries in football. And, at some point, his next concussion will be the one that will prevent doctors from clearing him to play again.

That’s why it will be interesting to see whether the Dolphins extend Tua’s contract or pick up his fifth-year option. Regardless of the fact that his play improved dramatically under coach Mike McDaniel, teams want and need their best quarterbacks to be available to play. Tua missed four games, left another one and returned, left another one and didn’t return, and remained in the Christmas Day loss to the Packers while, in hindsight, impaired by a concussion.

For Tua, the challenge becomes avoiding further head injuries. Specifically, it means learning how to either not take hits that knock him to the ground, or to land in a way that keeps his helmet from striking the turf, again.

Looking at the situation more broadly, Jason Morris seems to be right. Maybe more teams should be steering their players toward Judo, in order to teach them how to fall in a way that protects them against suffering head injuries. And if the teams aren’t doing it, maybe players should be doing it on their own.
Works for Brady and Peyton. They taught themselves how to fall especially when it came to their throwing shoulder.

Works for Brady and Peyton. They taught themselves how to fall especially when it came to their throwing shoulder.
That might be, but protecting the head from hitting the ground as opposed to hitting a shoulder is altogether another animal..........no matter how you fall, the head flails with little overall control as to if and how it may hit the ground.................furthermore, you don't even need to fall to get a concussion. Judo can potentially teach you how to fall and effectively avoid injuries to some parts of the body. But in a football game, the QB's head is not one of them.

That might be, but protecting the head from hitting the ground as opposed to hitting a shoulder is altogether another animal..........no matter how you fall, the head flails with little overall control as to if and how it may hit the ground.................furthermore, you don't even need to fall to get a concussion. Judo can potentially teach you how to fall and effectively avoid injuries to some parts of the body. But in a football game, the QB's head is not one of them.
Say Doc, you're the doc, so I'm never going to debate you on any of this. I do know that there are qbs who practice on how to ball to minimize the impact. Tua might be concussion prone like Chris Chandler and Sam Bradford. Football is so brutal and they have to minimize as much as possible. Posters like to correlate this with Young and his size, but we've seen smaller guys not hit the turf like Tua.

The problem with the solution below is that you are not going to be able to place undermats on an NFL field. I would have to question anyone's decision to participate in Judo, with a significant concussion history to begin with.

*******************************************************************************************

From the Journal Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo). :

Simple Strategy to Prevent Severe Head Trauma in Judo —Biomechanical Analysis—
Haruo Murayama,1,2 Masahito Hitosugi,3 Yasuki Motozawa,3 Masahiro Ogino,4 and Katsuhiro Koyama2
Author information Article notes Copyright and License information Disclaimer

Abstract
To determine whether the use of an under-mat has an effect on impact forces to the head in Judo, a Judo expert threw an anthropomorphic test device using the Osoto-gari and Ouchi-gari techniques onto a tatami (judo mat) with and without an under-mat. Head acceleration was measured and the head injury criterion (HIC) values with or without under-mat were compared. The use of an under-mat significantly decreased (p = 0.021) the HIC values from 1174.7 ± 246.7 (without under-mat) to 539.3 ± 43.5 in Ouchi-gari and from 330.0 ± 78.3 (without under-mat) to 156.1 ± 30.4 in Osoto-gari. The use of an under-mat simply reduces impact forces to the head in Judo. Rule changes are not necessary and the enjoyment and health benefits of Judo are maintained.
Keywords: head injury, judo, prevention, head injury criteria, biomechanics

Introduction
Judo is one of the popular sports originated from Japan. As judo is performed in Olympic Games, this is widely performed in school or public facilities for education, training, or recreation. The growing popularity of judo has been focusing attention on injuries that may occur during judo practice in addition to benefits. Especially, cerebral concussions have often occurred in judo athletes. Pieter estimated the rate of cerebral concussions in young judo athletes as 2.38/1000 male athlete exposure and 2.92/1000 female athlete exposure.11) Furthermore, unfortunately, severe head injuries have often occurred in judo.

He's preparing to join the WWF soon.

Back