Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

New HC candidates

Texecutioner and I agree on... well... pretty much nothing. But we agree on this.

IF Kubiak had been able to show some "progress" and keep us in games, he'd still have this gig next year. And if he was able to put together a winning record next year and contend for the playoffs, I think he'd have been given an extension.

I don't even think we'd have needed to win all of our remaining games this year as long as we kept the margin of defeat small, didn't have a zillion penalties, and Case was given the opportunity to start. I think the close loss to New England had probably almost convinced McNair to keep Kubes.

I think McNair is afraid of changing coaches because he knows that lots of coaches are hired every year and all those coaches look like good prospects and most of them fail. Like Bum Phillips said, if you're a head coach, you've either been fired or you're about to be fired.

So fear kept Gary employed far longer than he should've been?

If this is the case I fear that BoB will have to die before the Texans win a SB.

I wouldn't want him as head coach, but Romeo Crennel can run a mean 3-4. If he wanted a defensive coordinator job here he'd probably be on the short list.

Agreed

I want a proven winner with a SB ring as the next HC of Texans. Regardless of the no HC has won 2 SB with different teams thingy. The Texans as of right now are the worst team in the NFL. They should be thinking about hiring a HC that can make them relative again. Not thinking about winning a SB for the next 3-4 yrs. A great proven HC may be able to speed up that time frame by a yr or two.

So your options are:

Mike Holmgren
Bill Cowher
Jon Gruden
Brian Billick
Tony Dungy

Would you be open to guys who've GOTTEN their team to the SB and lost?

Lovie Smith
Mike Callahan
Jim Fassel
Whisenhunt

I might be missing some guys.

Keeping loe rd picks on the team because you drafted them and trumpeting midseason FA pickups are not difference makers on SB contenders.

Name 1 of these type of players that are not named Foster that have truly been difference makers since Rick has been GM?

Bernard Pollard
Vonta Leach
Andre Davis
Wade Smith
Joel Dreesen

I would include Chris Myers as using a low round pick.

Idk about Whisenhunt as Head Coach. OC would be interesting he has turned Rivers career around this year, We don't have a proven/once elite QB like Rivers on the roster. If we draft Teddy or stick with Keenum which I don't want wouldn't mind seeing what he could do with the offense.

Idk about Whisenhunt as Head Coach. OC would be interesting he has turned Rivers career around this year, We don't have a proven/once elite QB like Rivers on the roster. If we draft Teddy or stick with Keenum which I don't want wouldn't mind seeing what he could do with the offense.

Whisehunt likely best choice of former NFL HCs. We have seen what Whisenhunt can do with a QB (Warner) and what he can't do w/o a QB.

Bernard Pollard
Vonta Leach
Andre Davis
Wade Smith
Joel Dreesen

I would include Chris Myers as using a low round pick.

How many of those guys are still on the team? The point is that Rick/Gary didn't replenish the talent they lost in the draft and they couldn't replenish the talent in FA after they mortgaged the future in 2010 disaster. This philosophy worked out well for Rick. But not so well for Gary afetr Rick threw him under the bus.

I see that you like Alex Gibbs handpicked guys. Brown/Smith/Myers. Is it not true that Gibbs had full control over OL talent aquisitions/ZBS scheme's. If he didn't do you think a HOF'er like Gibbs would come out of retirement?

How many of those guys are still on the team? The point is that Rick/Gary didn't replenish the talent they lost in the draft and they couldn't replenish the talent in FA after they mortgaged the future in 2010 disaster. This philosophy worked out well for Rick. But not so well for Gary afetr Rick threw him under the bus.

I see that you like Alex Gibbs handpicked guys. Brown/Smith/Myers. Is it not true that Gibbs had full control over OL talent aquisitions/ZBS scheme's. If he didn't do you think a HOF'er like Gibbs would come out of retirement?

The point is that all these guys were contributors, at least. You can't keep everyone.

Whisehunt likely best choice of former NFL HCs. We have seen what Whisenhunt can do with a QB (Warner) and what he can't do w/o a QB.
I'm not a Whisenhunt fan at all. He's a good OC but would be Kubiak v2.0 as a HC.

Anderson, Kolb and Palmer speak volumes about his coaching ability. Combining Whisenhunt's personnel acumen with Rick Smith's would be a disaster of Cleveland Brown's proportions for this team.

I kinda like Whisenhunt. I want an offensive mind with a new philosophy.

If Rick Smith is so great, why are the Texans currently the worst team in the NFL?

Did he have anything to do with this predictament? If so he should be fired also.

The point is that all these guys were contributors, at least. You can't keep everyone.

Agreed

But to stay at the top of the NFL you must replace them with likewise talent. Or you end up where the Texans are today if you rest on your laurels. Which is what Bob/Rick/Gary appear to have done this season. Much like they did afeter the glorious 9-7 2009 season. I see a trend developing with BoB/Rick.

OK. So. For DISCUSSION purposes only, I threw together a quick list of some guys who've got NFL HC experience who I believe are out there. Some of them might not want the job, some of them might. But I thought it would be interesting to look at. This list is in no particular order:

Mike Sherman -- McNair and Smith know him.
Norv Turner -- Please, god, no.
Lovie Smith
Steve Mariucci
Jon Gruden
Bill Cowher
Brad Childress
Whisenhunt
Dennis Green
Jim Mora
Brian Billick
Wade Phillips
Romeo Crennel
Mangini
Tony Dungy
Jack Del Rio
Todd Haley
Nick Saban
Mike Tice
Jim Fassel
Jim Haslett
Mike Callahan
Mike Holmgren
Mike Martz
Raheem Morris
My list is bolded and just in the order you had them listed.

In my heart, I really think the job will go to either Wade Phillips or Jon Gruden.

I never even thought about Mooch. Neither him nor Billick seem to really want to return to coaching. Mooch could be a very good fit for this team.

Thankfully you left Tom Cable off your list. That dude is a joke as a HC. Reminds me of Jerry Glanville.

Gibbs was here 2008 & 2009.

Wade Smith came in 2010.
Who knows whether Myers was handpicked but so what?

Neither of us know whether Gibbs had "full control" of the OL selections. Myers was drafted by the Broncos Kubiak's last year there. The move was initially criticized as Kubiak trying to make Houston into Denver south.

I never even thought about Mooch. Neither him nor Billick seem to really want to return to coaching. Mooch could be a very good fit for this team.

There were rumors last year of his interest in the San Diego job.

Wade Smith came in 2010.

Neither of us know whether Gibbs had "full control" of the OL selections. Myers was drafted by the Broncos Kubiak's last year there. The move was initially criticized as Kubiak trying to make Houston into Denver south.

But you can make an educated guess. Do you remember what a mess the OL was before Gibbs got here? Then how new players were drafted/traded for/UDFA signed? I was fully on board with Gibbs OL choices and didn't see it as Denver south. Only fans that had inferiority problems used the Denver south moniker.

Brown/Myers/Briesel were Gibbs guys wheter you want to admit that or not. If that weren't the case you would've thought the Gary/Rick would've fixed the OL earlier. BTW, I'm a huge Alex Gibbs fan, he's a my way or the highway kinda guy. Which didn't make him a good fit on the Texans country club type atmosphere lockerroom.

I'm not a Whisenhunt fan at all. He's a good OC but would be Kubiak v2.0 as a HC.

Anderson, Kolb and Palmer speak volumes about his coaching ability. Combining Whisenhunt's personnel acumen with Rick Smith's would be a disaster of Cleveland Brown's proportions for this team.

Palmer was the QB when Whiz was there? My memory must be failing me.

I kinda like Whisenhunt. I want an offensive mind with a new philosophy.

If Rick Smith is so great, why are the Texans currently the worst team in the NFL?

Did he have anything to do with this predictament? If so he should be fired also.

A lot of the players and UDFAs we picked up got injured or got cut in that bizarre pre-KC moment. Part of me wants to know how much of that was influenced by by losing streak.

Palmer was the QB when Whiz was there? My memory must be failing me.

Yeah, not Palmer.

But... Skelton, Lindley, Hoyer, Anderson, Max Hall, Leinart.

If he hadn't lucked into Warner, he probably wouldn't have had any success at all.

The question is, though, if he comes in and takes the QB of his choice in this next draft, will he be able to work the same sort of magic he worked with Roethlisberger? It's not like he drafted Leinart, he just inherited him.

I'm sorry, but Wisenhunt would be a terrible hire for a team in need of figuring out the QB situation. A very good argument could be made that Warner basically extended his job in Arizona a few years. I'd stay far, far away.

The question is, though, if he comes in and takes the QB of his choice in this next draft, will he be able to work the same sort of magic he worked with Roethlisberger?

What magic is that? They didn't ask Big Ben to do anything the 1st two years. He had one of the 10 worst SB performances ever. His 3rd year (Whisenhunt's last) was by far Big Ben's worst season.

Yeah, not Palmer.

But... Skelton, Lindley, Hoyer, Anderson, Max Hall, Leinart.

If he hadn't lucked into Warner, he probably wouldn't have had any success at all.

The question is, though, if he comes in and takes the QB of his choice in this next draft, will he be able to work the same sort of magic he worked with Roethlisberger? It's not like he drafted Leinart, he just inherited him.
Or made gawdawful trades to get them. Just say NO to Whisenhunt.

What magic is that? They didn't ask Big Ben to do anything the 1st two years. He had one of the 10 worst SB performances ever. His 3rd year (Whisenhunt's last) was by far Big Ben's worst season.

I'm not a big fan of Roethlisberger's so don't take this the wrong way.

But.

In his rookie year, Roethlisberger was 13-0 as a starter in the regular season and 1-1 in the playoffs. That rookie year, he had a QB rating of over 98. The team was carried by the running attack and the defense, but Whisenhunt was able to tailor the game plans in such a way as to keep Roethlisberger from getting exposed and exploited.

In his second year, Roethlisberger didn't play quite as well although he did still have a QB rating over 98. He didn't play well in the SB and his defense and running game carried him. But. He was the QB of a team that won a SB.

Whisenhunt was behind those offensive gameplans that got them there and won those games with a QB who, frankly, wasn't THAT good.

That's working a little magic in my book. A little sleight-of-hand razzle dazzle.

OK. So. For DISCUSSION purposes only, I threw together a quick list of some guys who've got NFL HC experience who I believe are out there. Some of them might not want the job, some of them might. But I thought it would be interesting to look at. This list is in no particular order:

Mike Sherman -- McNair and Smith know him.
Norv Turner -- Please, god, no.
Lovie Smith
Steve Mariucci
Jon Gruden
Bill Cowher
Brad Childress
Whisenhunt
Dennis Green
Jim Mora
Brian Billick
Wade Phillips
Romeo Crennel
Mangini
Tony Dungy
Jack Del Rio
Todd Haley
Nick Saban
Mike Tice
Jim Fassel
Jim Haslett
Mike Callahan
Mike Holmgren
Mike Martz
Raheem Morris

I just started a post quoting your list and giving my own brief evaluation of all of these guys but they all started looking the same. I either thought they all were lame at best or sucked at worst with the following exceptions.

1. Cowher- Too good to be true. That's why he won't even interview. He'll want his own personnel guy and that won't fly with Bob right now.

2. Chucky- I don't think he'll interview either. This job isn't glamorous enough.

3. Lovie- I'm not crazy about this one but he seems like the type of guy that Bob would go for. Don't know why he never could get the offense going in Chicago.

4. Del Rio- I could be talked into getting onboard with him. He had some pretty good years in Jacksonville....then some no so good.

5. Whiz- Reminds me too much of Kubiak at this point. Good results with a HOF QB, mediocre at best without one.

I really think he needs to open up the process to coordinators.

Actually, I think the process is open to more than just those I listed.

I think he's also open to NCAA Head Coaches who have NFL experience even if not at the HC level.

I think his "preferences" are more of a sorting thing than an exclusion thing, although I could be wrong about that.

Wade Smith came in 2010.

There were rumors last year of his interest in the San Diego job.

Gibbs not only had full control of the O Line but the running game as well and that includes his Blocking TE and FB. That's always been a part of his contract where ever he has coached in the NFL and also the reason he left Seattle so quickly after signing on. They did not honor his contract and had a different opinion on players they wanted. Seattle went on to sign Tom Cable a Gibbs disciple in Atlanta. Gibbs was in Houston in 08 & 09 and his system was used for the most part until Dennison got here and began making his changes. As is the case with most Gibbs teams, his system works well for few years after his departure before the running game starts to breakdown and that is usually because of a change in personnel who were tutored by Gibbs in his system.

Gibbs not only had full control of the O Line but the running game as well and that includes his Blocking TE and FB. That's always been a part of his contract where ever he has coached in the NFL and also the reason he left Seattle so quickly after signing on.

You can keep saying it without substantiation and it still won't make it true. It is your reading between the lines. Provide some proof he had that in his contract in Houston and we can lay the issue to rest.

Leach & Dreessen came before Gibbs.

I just started a post quoting your list and giving my own brief evaluation of all of these guys but they all started looking the same. I either thought they all were lame at best or sucked at worst with the following exceptions.

2. Chucky- I don't think he'll interview either. This job isn't glamorous enough.

Not buying that at all. From his comments and pattern this is perfect for him to believe he can come in tweak and have fast success.

1. Cowher- Too good to be true. That's why he won't even interview. He'll want his own personnel guy and that won't fly with Bob right now.

3. Lovie- I'm not crazy about this one but he seems like the type of guy that Bob would go for. Don't know why he never could get the offense going in Chicago.

4. Del Rio- I could be talked into getting onboard with him. He had some pretty good years in Jacksonville....then some no so good.

5. Whiz- Reminds me too much of Kubiak at this point. Good results with a HOF QB, mediocre at best without one.

I've been seeing this a lot lately and I don't understand why. This team just had back-to-back AFC South titles, has decent talent on both sides of the ball and has a patient owner. What more can a Head Coach ask for coming to a new team?

So Gibbs must have liked them, yes?

Not true at all on Leach. The Texans made him the highest paid FB in the league before he got here. Even if he did like them it doesn't prove anything.

Where is that contract proof instead of trying to argue he must have liked Leach?

Which doesn't mean the talent level sucks. McNair is dumping Kubiak because the talent level does not suck and therefore the coaching was sub-par. Ask the Chiefs if losing is always an indication of overall talent level sucking, or Indy.

I guess I didn't make my point clear. You just said what I meant, just more clearly. Thanks.

Yes because both of those sorry ass teams beat us this season that means they are head and shoulders better than us.

Pfffffft.

If you truly think that both of those teams are better Teams and organizations then you are dead wrong. Just relax there, guy. We had an awful season and just canned our HC. If were betting on who is going farther next season between those three teams...I would call you a fool if you picked either of those two.

See above. I think we have the talent to compete with any team with a few shortcomings addressed. Some would say "many shortcomings" and there could be some merit there. It just depends on one's perspective. Glass 1/2 full or empty kinda thing.

Bottom line is I hope the braintrust, whoever the hell that is, knocks it outta the park. Going on record here that I don't believe Lovie Smith is that guy.

Most say it will never happen but I can't think of a better pilot for this vessel than David Shaw. Probably won't happen but that's the basket my eggs are in.

McNair only dumped Kubiak because he kept playing Sloth over Keenum. Be realistic. If Kubes won another game or so and kept Keenum playing we would be looking at another 3 yrs of Kubiak most likely.

Once again you're stating your hater opinion as fact. It's merely your opinion and everyone has one. Some don't stink so badly. JMO :)

Not buying that at all. From his comments and pattern this is perfect for him to believe he can come in tweak and have fast success.

I've been seeing this a lot lately and I don't understand why. This team just had back-to-back AFC South titles, has decent talent on both sides of the ball and has a patient owner. What more can a Head Coach ask for coming to a new team?

Totally understand. My statement that this job isn't glamorous enough for him isn't based on anything more than a vibe. I just see Chucky as more of an entertainer now than a coach.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see him wanting to leave a climate controlled broadcast booth for the inferno that is Houston in August.

Totally understand. My statement that this job isn't glamorous enough for him isn't based on anything more than a vibe. I just see Chucky as more of an entertainer now than a coach.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see him wanting to leave a climate controlled broadcast booth for the inferno that is Houston in August.

Money talks my friend. Not only that, but the guy currently lives in Tampa and is outside in those elements all the time. The weather is the last thing he'd be worried about in regards to Houston.

Not true at all on Leach. The Texans made him the highest paid FB in the league before he got here. Even if he did like them it doesn't prove anything.

Where is that contract proof instead of trying to argue he must have liked Leach?

Go back and watch some of Kubiak's early 2008 PCs after Gibbs WAS hired. I think Gary discusses Gibbs role. Gibbs was hired as Assist head coach offense. Kyle Shanahan was hired as Offensive Coordinator about same time. If I remember correctly Kubiak talks about how Gibbs will be overseeing the offense and Shanahan. Also how in Denver when Kubiak was a new Coordinator Gibbs was always looking over his shoulder making sure Gary was getting it right. When I was living in Atlanta and Gibbs was hired there was a story or video discussing how Gibbs had full control of the running game and insisted on that as part of his contract or he didn't take the job. I'm not your research assistant you'll have do your own research. If not, it's Ripley's for you....Believe IT OR Not. There sure is a lot information that suggest it so, logic and between the lines as you like to say that suggest it so. If you choose to ignore the corroborating evidence so be it but here is the bottom line: I DON'T CARE WHETHER YOU BELIEVE IT OR NOT.

Last edited:

I think you're arguing here just to argue...outside of that your comment doesn't make much sense.......sometimes I think this message board is your playstation.

Ok, then wouldn't it be better just to say you don't think Gruden will return to coaching? Or do you think he would return to coach a more glamorous team?

Ok, then wouldn't it be better just to say you don't think Gruden will return to coaching? Or do you think he would return to coach a more glamorous team?

I think Gruden is waiting and hoping to step into a situation like Houston if he is offered enough. He will also want final say on players. I think he wants to show again the genius he thinks he is.

I almost cringe saying this, but does any think that Bob may have Saban on his list? He has NFL experience somewhat, pretty strong resume, and he may think that he can catch lightening in a bottle and get Belichek jr

I almost cringe saying this, but does any think that Bob may have Saban on his list? He has NFL experience somewhat, pretty strong resume, and he may think that he can catch lightening in a bottle and get Belichek jr

I could of course be wrong but I don't believe Saban could be blasted outta his AL gig with all the C-4 at the US G'ment's disposal.

Now watch him hop on this gig. :tinfoil:

I could of course be wrong but I don't believe Saban could be blasted outta his AL gig with all the C-4 at the US G'ment's disposal.

Now watch him hop on this gig. :tinfoil:

I heard talk that UT was gonna offer him the moon + and that he would go. He' proven himself at Alabama and thought is that he's ready to go for a bigger stage. And more money of course. And what if he really wanted to erase the biggest stain on his legacy? Succeed where once he failed? Just a thought, and I hope that it is not even in the realm of possibility, but then again if you told me before the 2013 season that the Texans were going to be 2-11, I would have said no way and even bet any amount on that.. and if they were, their two wins would be against Jacksonville.

Last edited:
in this case (pun intended) either cutler succeeds or implodes and we draft a QB the following year in a great year for QBs.

i wouldn't mind cutler his certainly not my first option but i don't think his has bad as some suggest

just realised that this was my 1000th post.
DAMN! what a crappy irrelevant post to achieve this milestone with:toropalm:

Back